Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well duh don't cook your pizza in a vacuum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Dyson Pizza Sphere...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Water is the enemy of mallard so less browning in a vacuum. There's more to it though like you may just get larger blisters with higher hydration/larger bubbles, so more browning in a neopolitan.

ok this is what I sort of guessed, I'm cooking in a home oven so there's no crazy temp differences if it blisters up an inch or something

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

large hands posted:

It's unlikely you ran out of gas, the ooni will run forever on a small tank. Angling it so wind doesn't blow into the opening is essential for sure, as is a turning peel, imo.

Yeah, that’s also what I think, but since the tank was low, and I’d never experienced a blow out before, I jumped to conclusions.

So yeah lessons learned, butt against the wind, for sure.

bolind fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 30, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KinkyJohn posted:

What will diastatic malt powder do to a pizza dough?

It converts complex carbs into . . . simpler complex carbs and further into simple carbs (dextrose) (beta and alpha amalyse). Homebrewers that work with grain will keep some on stand by to rescue a mash that is not converting starches into brewable sugars.

It gives the yeast fast food meals instead of making them work for it so you get better performance from your yeast. If you aren't compensating for that, then you can overproof and whack your gluten.

People talk about it giving a sweet flavor but I tend not to add enough for that. I don't notice it. I suspect I could do something hilarious there if I used a Homebrewer mash schedule on the flour and turned a bunch of it into dextrins. Hmm...

I like to throw a little in when working with whole wheat and rustic flours in particular.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, the alpha and beta amylase don’t denature until they get above about 168F (alpha goes lower, beta a bit higher iirc). The optimal temps for brewing are between 144 and 160 or so. Outside that range they act slower the cooler it gets. So you may be able to use it in a longer ferment, but I’ve never bothered either way. I’d expect that what would happen is that they’ll break some of the dextrins into saccharides. Then they’ll be available to the yeast to consume and they’ll get consumed like adding any other simple sugar to the dough.

Trying a brewer schedule wouldn’t work though, there wouldn’t be enough enzymatic power in such a small amount of malt powder to convert much of anything. And wheat flour being unmalted it wouldn’t add any to the equation.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Got some fresh figs from a friend in the neighborhood...

The Fig and Pig - fresh figs, burrata, prosciutto with a saba swirl on sourdough!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm trying my sourdough for pizza tonight, and the fermentation has been much different from normal pizza dough. Aside from more time left out to initially proof and more time out before baking, it's smelling amazing and is nice and soft. It was difficult to gauge hydration, and while I estimated a 1:1 ratio from the starter, I needed more flour to get it to have a more regular consistency still. It was also wetter and softer than a normal dough, so it managed to stick to my peel. My stick blender also decided to stop working, so sauce didn't get blended and was inconsistently soupy. Still tasted good, but I need to find a better cheese, this one is not geat and it got in the way of the crust tasting amazing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

trying out a few pizzas in the new oven

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jhet posted:

Yeah, the alpha and beta amylase don’t denature until they get above about 168F (alpha goes lower, beta a bit higher iirc). The optimal temps for brewing are between 144 and 160 or so. Outside that range they act slower the cooler it gets. So you may be able to use it in a longer ferment, but I’ve never bothered either way. I’d expect that what would happen is that they’ll break some of the dextrins into saccharides. Then they’ll be available to the yeast to consume and they’ll get consumed like adding any other simple sugar to the dough.

Trying a brewer schedule wouldn’t work though, there wouldn’t be enough enzymatic power in such a small amount of malt powder to convert much of anything. And wheat flour being unmalted it wouldn’t add any to the equation.

It didn't stop me from trying hahaha!

I used a slow cooker to raise it up with my bbq thermometer keeping tabs on things. All it really did was dry out the dough, but the dough was already pretty dry. Pumpernickel is something else. I didn't notice much change in sweetness, but my wife and I could at that bread now. Maybe it did a little? We're not typically good with rye in any form and I only did this because I had this bag to use up.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Somewhat redeemed myself cooking up a lunch for the missus.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

gently caress it I think I'm going to get a Koda.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bolind posted:

Somewhat redeemed myself cooking up a lunch for the missus.

looking good, is that the 16? i'll probably trade up from my 12 one of these days

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

gently caress it I think I'm going to get a Koda.

I hemmed and hawed all summer and should've just gotten it in the spring. No regrets, it's fairly easy to get good results and tons of fun.

large hands posted:

looking good, is that the 16? i'll probably trade up from my 12 one of these days

Yup, that's the 16. I keep asking myself if I could've gone with the 12. Do you feel it's getting too small?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Anyone here used the breville pizzaiolo before? They're normally $1250AUD down here but on sale at the moment for $999AUD. Been keeping an eye on em since they finally got around to releasing em in australia but debating whether to pull the trigger on one. My current oven is one of these bad boys, which is not bad but wondering if an upgrade would be worth it

I have one and I love it. The downsides are that it’s expensive and that it doesn’t get as hot as a gas or wood oven. That’s a problem if you want to make a proper Neapolitan pie. The upside is that it heats up quickly and I can use it indoors in any weather. If I had to rely on an outdoor oven I wouldn’t make pizza in cold or wet weather, which is when I want it most! And it makes excellent NY style and modified Neapolitan pies. I’ve been working on Trenton-style thin crust tomato pie lately, and it works great for that.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bolind posted:

I hemmed and hawed all summer and should've just gotten it in the spring. No regrets, it's fairly easy to get good results and tons of fun.

Yup, that's the 16. I keep asking myself if I could've gone with the 12. Do you feel it's getting too small?

I would like to make bigger pizzas and also feel like the 2 sided heat would be easier to manage. That being said the 12 in its little carrying bag is great for taking places

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

large hands posted:

That being said the 12 in its little carrying bag is great for taking places

I've been leaning towards the 12 for this reason. I have dreams of whipping it out on a camping trip. Is that realistic with the 12?

e: does it work directly on a plastic folding table, or would I need to put some plywood or something in between the oven and table in that case?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 3, 2021

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I have one and I love it. The downsides are that it’s expensive and that it doesn’t get as hot as a gas or wood oven. That’s a problem if you want to make a proper Neapolitan pie. The upside is that it heats up quickly and I can use it indoors in any weather. If I had to rely on an outdoor oven I wouldn’t make pizza in cold or wet weather, which is when I want it most! And it makes excellent NY style and modified Neapolitan pies. I’ve been working on Trenton-style thin crust tomato pie lately, and it works great for that.

Nice, thanks! I ended up getting one a few mins after I made that post lol. it's a beast for sure

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
EVERY.
NIGHT.
IS.
PIZZA.
NIGHT.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Splinter posted:

I've been leaning towards the 12 for this reason. I have dreams of whipping it out on a camping trip. Is that realistic with the 12?

e: does it work directly on a plastic folding table, or would I need to put some plywood or something in between the oven and table in that case?

It's really, really well insulated and I don't notice much heat a few inches away from it. It's super portable and I've taken it to friends' houses etc. You could easily take it to the beach/car camping although I wouldn't bring it on a hike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

First go with the Kodi. The pizza immediately caught fire and I found it difficult to time when to get it out. Also a bit tricky to launch the pizza? Anyway it is delicious and a learning experience.

69% hydration with a 14% poolish and 24 hour cold fermentation.

Oh also I made the sauce with drained San marzano tomatoes and a little can of tomato purée, plus salt, sugar and oregano. It's thicker than previous attempts which seems to work better.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Still a solid pie. Would.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I prefer a cooked sauce because I like a sweeter, less acidic sauce - standard recipe is some Pastene Kitchen Ready tomatoes, salt, dash of sugar, oregano, stick blend and cook for 30 minutes or so.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been experimenting with flour and figured I'd post.

I am satisfied with how well really cheap AP flour behaves if I augment with some gluten and cold ferment. I do know that it's not as good without the cold ferment and it's especially poor without adding gluten. I mean, it's not even cheap bread flour.

I intend to do a few pies with Sonoran flour as a counterpoint to using really cheap AP flour. I've been keeping a stash of it for tortillas and it has a very nice flavor. If angel's sing when people are eating that pizza then I have to consider it for people I like because that poo poo's expensive. Well, the artisanal stuff I get is expensive, but I believe I can order huge sacks of it online for much less. I've been pondering if I just want to replace my all-purpose with it.

If I didn't have time to cold ferment, then I still prefer a bag of type 00. It's a very fast, consistent flour for pizza.

Regarding whole wheat: I didn't like the handling and performance of 100% whole wheat. I got a rise on the crust when I baked it, but it didn't take to hand forming until I knocked it down with a roller for a bit. I already had boosted gluten content so think the matrix was just too poor from the bran. However, 50% still handles surprisingly well and I think I'll keep that option for a crust. It also does give a different flavor and works well with robust toppings.

I don't know if it was this thread or the bread thread where somebody brought up rice flour for the peel, but I tried it last night and was pretty impressed. I think I do prefer it over semolina.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

here's my blender-and-done recipe:

28oz canned crushed tomatoes (I like Cento)
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp sugar
pinch dried basil
pinch dried oregano
1 tbsp Secret Aardvark habanero hot sauce

The Aardvark is key - just enough to to give a pleasant heat to the pizza. My toddler scarfs it down so I know the mixture isn't actually hot. Aardvark is tomato based so it doesn't shift the sauce's flavor profile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

First go with the Kodi. The pizza immediately caught fire and I found it difficult to time when to get it out. Also a bit tricky to launch the pizza? Anyway it is delicious and a learning experience.

69% hydration with a 14% poolish and 24 hour cold fermentation.

Oh also I made the sauce with drained San marzano tomatoes and a little can of tomato purée, plus salt, sugar and oregano. It's thicker than previous attempts which seems to work better.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Romancing the [Pizza] Stone: The pizza immediately caught fire

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Y'all I am having issues with my zas. I continually have my cheese greasing out, which is not appetizing. What should I be using to avoid this?

I also think I have been using too much dusting flour to keep my pizzas from sticking, and my bottoms aren't really crisping up nicely... just kinda depressing weekend of pizza making.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Would making my own mozzarella to go on my homemade pizza be too far down on the autism spectrum?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think it would suck unless you really like margs and are pumping out some already near perfect pies.

Unless you use the whey in the dough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ShaneB posted:

Y'all I am having issues with my zas. I continually have my cheese greasing out, which is not appetizing. What should I be using to avoid this?

I also think I have been using too much dusting flour to keep my pizzas from sticking, and my bottoms aren't really crisping up nicely... just kinda depressing weekend of pizza making.

your cheese is getting blasted with too much heat before the rest of the pie is done. im not sure exactly what kind of pizzas you're making but you can try heating the top of the pie less, pre-cooking the crust, shielding the cheese with more toppings, or putting colder cheese on it before baking.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

your cheese is getting blasted with too much heat before the rest of the pie is done. im not sure exactly what kind of pizzas you're making but you can try heating the top of the pie less, pre-cooking the crust, shielding the cheese with more toppings, or putting colder cheese on it before baking.

Well this fuckin' Ooni is really goddamn hot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KinkyJohn posted:

Would making my own mozzarella to go on my homemade pizza be too far down on the autism spectrum?

YMMV, but when I made my own mozzarella, I learned that for just a little more money and a whole lot more effort, I could make moz that was almost as good as store bought.

I only did it because I had some homegrown tomatoes and basil, so I wanted a pizza entirely from scratch. It was not worth the trouble, but I'm glad I did it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Well this fuckin' Ooni is really goddamn hot.

I preheat at full blast then turn down the flames for the actual cook. An IR thermometer helps. But yeah the ooni can get way hotter than you need it to but that's why it's adjustable. I find I turn every ten seconds if I'm going for a high temp Neapolitan style.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

KinkyJohn posted:

It’s way better to find someone who makes it semi-locally and go buy it from them. Check a farmers market.

Mozzarella is delicious and fairly temperamental to make and not entirely worth the effort for a really small batch. Quality of milk selection is also very important as you can’t hide anything in an aging process.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

large hands posted:

I preheat at full blast then turn down the flames for the actual cook. An IR thermometer helps. But yeah the ooni can get way hotter than you need it to but that's why it's adjustable. I find I turn every ten seconds if I'm going for a high temp Neapolitan style.

I adjust it to the lowest setting before I cook, and turn a lot as well. It's been a bit frustrating honestly, it's always hot.

I've been trying to maybe do it wrong with neopolitan dough but pretty new york style toppings.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I adjust it to the lowest setting before I cook, and turn a lot as well. It's been a bit frustrating honestly, it's always hot.

I've been trying to maybe do it wrong with neopolitan dough but pretty new york style toppings.

So if your bottom isn't cooking you probably aren't getting the stone hot enough. As far as the cheese breaking I don't think I've had that issue before. Do you have a picture? What kind of cheese are you using?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

large hands posted:

So if your bottom isn't cooking you probably aren't getting the stone hot enough. As far as the cheese breaking I don't think I've had that issue before. Do you have a picture? What kind of cheese are you using?

The stone heats at full blast for a half hour and my IR thermometer (which stops at 700F, because I am an idiot) maxes out long before I put a pizza on. Not sure how I can get it hotter than it is, unfortunately.

I'll take a photo next time but I have tried various brick mozzarella full fat that I shred myself. I used a pre-shredded that performed just terribly this weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use whole milk mozzarella and I don't think I've ever seen it grease out.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
No idea why your crust isn't cooking if the stone is that hot. I'd start by maybe following a recipe from Ooni exactly and sticking to it until you work out the kinks. Also try part-skim mozz or just a sprinkle of Parm under your toppings with a scant few pieces of fresh mozz. Either way if you're trying for new York style with dry cheese you're going to need to bring the heat down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Consumers generally cannot get a hold of unpasteurized milk. If you're lucky you might find unhomogenized milk, but generally you will be using rather unsuited milk and having to add a bunch of calcium chloride and various cultures to even get a passable result. It doesn't seem worth it to me.