Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Saxophone posted:

Also, it looks like my armor bags are almost entirely full, and probably with junk. Nonetheless how can I sus through it and get rid of stuff I don't need. Is there a specific mark that lets me know it's part of a set?

There will be a pale, nearly white icon that looks similar to the Gear Sets button on the bottom right of a piece of gear if it's used in a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Is there any way to disable other player's damage numbers from appearing? I feel like I can't tell what I'm hitting or what is going on generally because there's so much text all over the screen, especially in dungeons. I think it might be playing into some of my dissatisfaction with the feel of combat, I feel like I'm not getting nearly as much / good audiovisual feedback from pressing my buttons as I did in WoW and not being able to see my own damage numbers might be part of the reason. There also seems to be a big delay between pressing anything and the damage being applied which doesn't feel great, is this universal or just an issue with Archer? My friend is playing Lancer and he says it feels okay to him, should I find another class? Also he seems to be able to do massively more damage than I can, in single target at least; he doesn't appear to have any AoE abilities whatsoever yet, although I only have one (quick nock?) which I end up just spamming over and over whenever there's more than one mob which is a bit dull. Is this normal / will it change as we level? We're only about lvl 23 or so at the moment. Also is there a damage meter option / addon you can get? I feel like I have no idea if I'm pressing the right buttons and it's hard to tell how much damage I'm doing, my dot (venom sting?) in particular feels incredibly weak and I'm never sure if it's worth the enormous GCD to cast it.

Also on positioning, I've noticed indicators for what look like flanking/backstabbing mechanics on enemy target UI elements, but I'm not sure if I'm doing extra damage from the sides or behind or not. Is that a thing, or maybe only for certain abilities?

And finally back on the steam thing, this may have been answered already if so I apologise but I just wanted to confirm - if I buy the game from square directly, I cannot use my steam wallet to pay my subscription correct? The complete edition is on sale and only £13 at the moment compared to £40 on steam, but I have a bunch of cash in my steam wallet that has been sitting there for ages and I can't really spare the expense from my real life funds. But it feels very bad to pay that much more D: I'm guessing I will just have to bite the bullet and do it though, especially as it seems now I essentially can't play at peak times because the queues are enormous and free trialists aren't even allowed to queue (which feels quite petty, but whatever :p).

I am enjoying the game and trying to engage with it on its terms, now that my friend and I can seemingly do a few fetch quests and then join up for a dungeon or two I think we can live with that if it continues (though we always seem to outlevel the dungeons the game sends us to so the loot is useless, is this always going to be the case?). I won't lie though, it's not an easy transition from WoW and there are a million little frustrations with aspects of the game. Like for instance, I unlocked a new skill called peloton, instant cast with no cooldown that gives me and my party members a small speed boost until we enter combat, very similar to the old version of aspect of the cheetah/aspect of the pack in WoW. But for some reason it has a 30 second duration, so I just have to keep remembering to recast it every 30 seconds while running around? Why not just make it indefinite, it breaks when you enter combat anyway? Very irritating.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hate that I bought this on Steam. zero reason to do so when it just opens the client anyway so what's even the point. I was so pissed when my gf was confused that I didn't have the other DLC and she did lol

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a menu setting for making other player's numbers and effects smaller or off completely, or making yours bigger. Someone can probably link a tutorial or explainer for where to set it, can't find one right now and I can't log in to doublecheck where the setting is.

Yes, positionals are a thing, and the skill's info text will tell you if it does more damage either flanking or from behind. I believe positionals are only a melee DPS thing, an archer can stand wherever.

There's little arrows on the targeting circle that shows where the cutoff between front and flank is, and the rear is the open back part. And yes, LNC/DRG is going to be doing more single target damage but they have limited AOE options, especially at lower level.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a menu setting for making other player's numbers and effects smaller or off completely, or making yours bigger. Someone can probably link a tutorial or explainer for where to set it, can't find one right now and I can't log in to doublecheck where the setting is.

Yes, positionals are a thing, and the skill's info text will tell you if it does more damage either flanking or from behind. I believe positionals are only a melee DPS thing, an archer can stand wherever.

There's little arrows on the targeting circle that shows where the cutoff between front and flank is, and the rear is the open back part. And yes, LNC/DRG is going to be doing more single target damage but they have limited AOE options, especially at lower level.

I'm going to have to test this now, I could have sworn that the flanks were 90-degree angles.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Character settings -> UI settings -> HUD -> uncheck "display Pop-up text"

Damage is keyed to certain points in an animation but as long as you hit the button the damage will go off. The “disconnect” is an irrecoverable artifact of 1.0 being weird and the whole system of animations.

Flanks and rear are a mechanic for melee dps only. Flanks are indeed bigger than that drawing indicates, the hitbox is divided into quarters.

You’ll probably outlevel dungeons unless you keep multiple jobs up during your main story experience, but the gear progression at each former level cap is intact, so while you’re going through the level 50 patch content you’ll be working through 2.x gear progression until you break into heavensward, even if you hit 60 before being done with that patch content. No future expansion has such a wide level and ilevel range as 2.x though, so generally once you’re going 50-60 then 60-70 and so on gear will gradually upgrade.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 3, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ouroboros posted:

There also seems to be a big delay between pressing anything and the damage being applied which doesn't feel great, is this universal or just an issue with Archer?

It's mostly an issue with Archer, especially early on. Some attacks have their damage popups tied in with their animations, so the delay on firing the bow from Heavy Shot is applied to the damage number appearing. This becomes less of an issue with Archer as it progresses, since it's one of the highest APM jobs out there, and you consequently start clipping into the animation with off-GCD actions a lot.

quote:

Is this normal / will it change as we level?

Archer/Bard will largely deal less damage than Lancer/Dragoon overall, since a significant part of their kit is that they improve the damage of the rest of their party with the passives from their songs and Battle Voice. However, until 45, you'll absolutely beat out Lancer/Dragoon in terms of damage in dungeons, since Quick Knock will inflate your overall damage done significantly compared to Lancer's single-target combo.

quote:

Also is there a damage meter option / addon you can get?

The primary DPS meter is Advanced Combat Tracker, and it has several different display plugins you can download - I personally use Kagerou.

An extremely important caveat to this: parsers exist in a legal grey area where they're technically illegal, but the developers are willing to look the other way so long as you run ACT exclusively for your own purposes. Do not discuss parser numbers, or your use of ACT, in game, as you're putting your account at risk by doing so.

quote:

Also on positioning, I've noticed indicators for what look like flanking/backstabbing mechanics on enemy target UI elements, but I'm not sure if I'm doing extra damage from the sides or behind or not. Is that a thing, or maybe only for certain abilities?

Certain jobs, such as Monk and Ninja, have attacks that gain bonuses for being used from the flanking/rear. If you're not one of those jobs, you don't have to worry about it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 3, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

1) There is an option for combat numbers, damage and healing, buff and debuff loss and gain, and yours and other people's, under Character Options. I forget anything more specific and I'm at work and can't double check, sorry. Hopefully someone else can.

Also, damage numbers are semi-tied to the animation. Sometimes that means it's delayed for certain abilities. That said, if your ability starts the animation, then it will go off no matter what, and the damage will be counted, even if you interrupt the animation with another ability or the target dies.

You will get better AoE as you level, as will your friend, but melee DPS gets theirs at a later level than anyone else for some weird reason. There is also a damage meter, but I don't use it so I don't know much. Search for "FFXIV ACT addon" and you'll find it. Heads up though, don't refer to it in-game unless you're only taking to your friend. 3rd party add-ons are technically not allowed, and if someone feels like you're being a jerk with it and reports you, you will likely get a visit from a GM.

2) Melee DPS have positional abilities. They only matter for certain abilities and will either ask for being behind or flanking the target, and will mention what fulfilling that requirement will do. It's always worth it, unless you're going to die or don't mind pissing off your healer (which will lead to your death).

3) Apparently you can use the Steam wallet if you buy through S-E, or at least someone mentioned they're able to. You might want to wait for someone else to weigh in, just to be sure.

4) The MSQ gives you enough experience, with some extra Daily Roulettes, to keep two classes leveled relatively close to each other, so if you only stick with one gear will fall behind in level. ARR is also a little irregular with its gear and levels, so sometimes you'll go 10 levels without replacing a piece unless you go out of your way.

For Peloton specifically, most of the time 30 seconds is longer than the next time you're in a fight, unless you're outside of a dungeon. In that case you're probably mounted, which doesn't work with Peloton (mounts unlock during a level 20 MSQ, after you join a Grand Company. also, they can become combat companions at 30 via a quest back where you got them). The only time I've found it to be mildly annoying is when I'm in a town or a later case where I'm exploring through an instance, but in that situation I just alternate between Sprint and Peloton.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 3, 2021

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

You can control a lot about what pops up in Character Options > UI > HUD. Your damage counts as Flying Text, which always appears at the same place. Other people's count as Pop-Up Text, which appears on the target when damage is done or buffs/debuffs are applied. You can try turning off Pop-Up Text. I have both enabled so I'm not 100% sure what counts as what.

Damage being applied is tied to animations, unlike World of Warcraft where damage is always immediate and animations are delayed or skipped. This applies to both your attacks and opponent aoes: whether or not you get hit by an attack depends on where you are standing when the cast finishes, but damage may be applied up to 2-3 seconds later. The timing takes some getting used to and I agree it is less snappy, but it has the benefit that the combat animations are generally better.

Dragoon famously gets its aoe last of all the DPS at L40, but all melee eventually get at least 2-hit aoe combos plus some off-GCDs. Bard gets Quick Nock, its dots and various off-GCD aoes some of which can reset on dot ticks. Rain of Death is the first at 45. It's one of the simpler aoe combos, yes. Dots tick every 3 seconds, so for instance Venomous Bite should be read as doing 100 on application, then 10 ticks of 30 for 400 potency total. It's better than Heavy Shot if the mob will survive for longer than 9 seconds as a result. Bard generally does very good damage at low levels.

There's not an in-game damage meter. There is an external tool called ACT that does live log parsing and can put that in an external overlay. It's somewhat complex to set up since it is external: here is a guide. I use the Ikegami overlay that looks like this, but there are several:

Set it up if you want to, it is good feedback, but it's not terribly necessary when leveling.

All melees have some attacks that deal bonus damage from rear and flank. It varies how many and when they get them: monks focus very heavily on positionals, have them on every single GCD from level 1, ninjas only have 3 positionals in total. Non-melee jobs never have positionals.

E: Well, I'm slow but I'm going to post this anyhow.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 3, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm going to have to test this now, I could have sworn that the flanks were 90-degree angles.

They are, that diagram is wrong.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Mister Olympus posted:

Flanks and rear are a mechanic for melee dps only. Flanks are indeed bigger than that drawing indicates, the hitbox is divided into quarters.

Ok interesting. Here's another image I found:

90% of the images I've come across match the first one I posted, but that might have something to do with FF14 having no real documentation and the fact that whenever you google anything about the game half of the links that pop up are from 2013. Maybe it changed at some point? Regardless, if I'm worried about positionals I try to never stand anywhere near the front anyways, I want to be at that back dividing point between flank and rear so I can reposition depending on what skill is next.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's a good habit to get into. Most tank cleaves are around 90°, but there are the occasional few that are drat near 180°.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

For people whose armory bags are full, there is a way in Character Configuration to put all new gear in your inventory instead of your armory chest. From there, you can right click it and send it to the armory chest manually if you want to save it, or keep it where you can see it so you remember to dispose of it (sell on market board, vendor it, trade it to your grand company for seals, trade it to an NPC for an upgraded version, etc.).

That way, you can save your armory chest for only gear that you use (just don't forget to move old gear out of it occasionally). I'm at work now or I'd post screenshots of where to find these options.

Just note that the "recommended gear" button won't notice stuff in your inventory.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Edit: This was already answered.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Edit: Hmmm. Even though my post doesn't answer a question now, the info might still be useful to someone.

Nope! Just don't be in front, though. I mentioned tank cleaves, and the range on those can go from short to across the arena. Besides, you don't want to be too far away from your healer, their range isn't unlimited.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Onean posted:

Nope! Just don't be in front, though. I mentioned tank cleaves, and the range on those can go from short to across the arena. Besides, you don't want to be too far away from your healer, their range isn't unlimited.

I noticed right after I posted you had kind of answered already. But it is still good to know!

Yeah, I'm pretty programmed to go to the back of enemies from years of WoW melee anyway, but good to know for some weird occasions that I don't have to.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yup!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just as a general rule, everyone but the main tank should be standing more or less on the rear end of whatever you are fighting. Melee, ranged, doesn’t matter. Makes healing and reacting to mechanics way easier.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Damage being applied is tied to animations, unlike World of Warcraft where damage is always immediate and animations are delayed or skipped. This applies to both your attacks and opponent aoes: whether or not you get hit by an attack depends on where you are standing when the cast finishes, but damage may be applied up to 2-3 seconds later. The timing takes some getting used to and I agree it is less snappy, but it has the benefit that the combat animations are generally better.
I'm not sure it's this entirely, damage actually works the same way in WoW and is based off animations at least for ranged classes (which I usually play), you fire an arrow when you press the button and then the damage isn't applied and shown until the arrow hits the target. I dunno it just feels a lot more responsive in WoW, maybe the animations are faster or there's more obvious feedback as to what's going on. When I use a ranged instant shot in WoW I press the button, hear a noise as it goes off, I can usually see a really obvious projectile flying, then I hear it hit the target and I see the damage. In FF it seems like I press the button, then nothing much very obvious is going on that I can pick out, and some indeterminate time later I see the damage apply (or miss it as it's not very prominent). I'm surprised that you say Bard (which I assume includes Archer?) does good damage at low levels because it really doesn't feel like it; maybe its to do with the feedback and also the nature of the damage. None of my buttons feel very exciting to press; they all seem to do roughly equivalent, not particularly special damage (I mean straight shot, which you can only use sometimes after its procced by heavy shot, seems to be almost identical just it does very slightly more damage). My damage cooldown is the same, all it does is increase all my damage by 10%, which feels boring and weak.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The animations definitely start off a bit bland, and it's especially a problem with archer/bard, where you're just kind of plinking away with a bow. The other ranged physical DPS classes are more interesting out of the gate, but you can't try them until you get into the first expansion or get to level 60 (the cap of the first expansion).

Here's a video showing off all the attack animations for every class, which should give you an idea for how extravagant they're going to get. Bard is the second one shown, at about the one minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGxC7wnBDo

When you do 24-man content at max level, it's a necessity to turn off animations for most other players, otherwise you can't even see the boss for all the shiny explosions going off.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I just hit 45 with Bard, and I hate it when people say this but it really is a much more active, exciting class...eventually. The big moment to me was just getting Mage's Ballad. Even a single song massively increases the amount of stuff you're doing and how exciting it is to play, and when I end up in dungeons that sync me under having any of those abilities it's a pretty stark drop in QOL as I find myself back at "apply dots and use bloodletter as much as possible."

Bloodletter I do think is kind of a bad culprit here. It's a very significant part of your damage kit, especially with Mage's Ballad when you can end up using it multiple times per GCD, but the animation is weirdly long for an oGCD instant, and the look/sound of it is pretty anemic for what it does and its value to the kit.

e: by contrast the class I've leveled the most, Warrior, involves a lot of spamming Overpower, which looks and feels fantastic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tulip posted:

Bloodletter I do think is kind of a bad culprit here. It's a very significant part of your damage kit, especially with Mage's Ballad when you can end up using it multiple times per GCD, but the animation is weirdly long for an oGCD instant, and the look/sound of it is pretty anemic for what it does and its value to the kit.

e: by contrast the class I've leveled the most, Warrior, involves a lot of spamming Overpower, which looks and feels fantastic.

Bard in general struggles here. We have a couple of attacks that look great, but as a "pretty flat dps curve but it never stops" damage class there isn't really a button that's satisfying to press once the novelty wears off. Even our couple of great-looking ones are just another thing in the routine without a big damage spike or meaty sound effect to back it up.

Fell Cleave on Warrior is my favorite of everything I've seen so far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Begemot posted:

The animations definitely start off a bit bland, and it's especially a problem with archer/bard, where you're just kind of plinking away with a bow. The other ranged physical DPS classes are more interesting out of the gate, but you can't try them until you get into the first expansion or get to level 60 (the cap of the first expansion).

Here's a video showing off all the attack animations for every class, which should give you an idea for how extravagant they're going to get. Bard is the second one shown, at about the one minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGxC7wnBDo

When you do 24-man content at max level, it's a necessity to turn off animations for most other players, otherwise you can't even see the boss for all the shiny explosions going off.

Black Mage feels very plain right now for this reason. Every spell starts off with the same charging animation with the only variance being how the staff hand flicks the magic off.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

imo they should give Bloodletter/Rain of Death charges like Gauss Round/Ricochet so you don't waste procs on it as often under Mage's Ballad

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

DLC Inc posted:

Black Mage feels very plain right now for this reason. Every spell starts off with the same charging animation with the only variance being how the staff hand flicks the magic off.

And then there's White Mage, at high level for me at least. I'm literally just spamming Glare but the animation my character does is so over the top it doesn't feel like such a simple ability. I'm always sad when I'm synched down back to the Stones. Edit: Holy too, though a lot of that character animation is covered by the previous Holy I cast, so it's not as noticeable.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 3, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
MCH feels very "kinetic" I guess with the sounds and animations. Launching a drill or even just a gauss/ricochet round to finish off an enemy feels real snappy and good.

BLM seems pretty boring for a while until your main attack goes from "little firebolt" to "low-yield nuke".

Haven't played archer/bard at all so can't speak for that but there's some good crunchy animations and sound effects for at least some classes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Onean posted:

And then there's White Mage, at high level for me at least. I'm literally just spamming Glare but the animation my character does is so over the top it doesn't feel like such a simple ability. I'm always sad when I'm synched down back to the Stones. Edit: Holy too, though a lot of that character animation is covered by the previous Holy I cast, so it's not as noticeable.

The assize animation has a wonderful flick to it it's lovely.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bruceski posted:

Bard in general struggles here. We have a couple of attacks that look great, but as a "pretty flat dps curve but it never stops" damage class there isn't really a button that's satisfying to press once the novelty wears off. Even our couple of great-looking ones are just another thing in the routine without a big damage spike or meaty sound effect to back it up.

Fell Cleave on Warrior is my favorite of everything I've seen so far.

Fell Cleave is ridiculous and if anything a bit much for an ability I frequently use 4x in rapid succession. Still have no idea how that animation is supposed to be a "fell cleave."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well a cleave is a cut and it's a whirling buzzsaw so, I got nothing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mainwaring posted:

The assize animation has a wonderful flick to it it's lovely.

Yeah, I found a video that showed more of the WHM abilities, and that was a standout too, alongside Divine Benison's twirl. It makes sense, I suppose, since most the actual ability animations are pretty simple.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I honestly think choice of Class/Job can make or break you, insofar as getting to the end of ARR.

My first choice of Lancer was ok, but the Actions available to it were not particularly fun, and the quests were not exactly memorable. When I made it to level 35 and it didn't significantly improve, I took a break from the game. Momentary forays into Gladiator and Archer weren't much better either, and Arcanist was just a smidge more interesting than the others.

I did not finish ARR until I came back and went Rogue. Rogue was not all that special in the low levels, but the class quests were just so dang charming that it made it easy to appreciate the class. As soon as I got access to my first mudra, I was hooked.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Tulip posted:

Fell Cleave is ridiculous and if anything a bit much for an ability I frequently use 4x in rapid succession. Still have no idea how that animation is supposed to be a "fell cleave."

Warrior just consistently has really good animations and once you starting chucking out six Fell Cleaves in a row ... oh baby, the serotonin.

And yeah, Bard is the class that suffers the most from "gets better later". I personally didn't click with it until level 70 when the animations get more weight and procs don't feel as terrible. But even disregarding that it only gets its third song at 52, which is real late.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

catgirlgenius posted:

I honestly think choice of Class/Job can make or break you, insofar as getting to the end of ARR.

My first choice of Lancer was ok, but the Actions available to it were not particularly fun, and the quests were not exactly memorable. When I made it to level 35 and it didn't significantly improve, I took a break from the game. Momentary forays into Gladiator and Archer weren't much better either, and Arcanist was just a smidge more interesting than the others.

I did not finish ARR until I came back and went Rogue. Rogue was not all that special in the low levels, but the class quests were just so dang charming that it made it easy to appreciate the class. As soon as I got access to my first mudra, I was hooked.

If someone were to ask my advice I'd suggest pugilist as a good starting class. It's pretty lively from the start and has a good quest line.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pugilist is a good choice especially for WoWfugees, it has a faster GcD than other classes as it progresses and the class quests are good. Combat is more dynamic with positionals as well.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I think I’m getting pretty close to the end of ARR. I just broke the other scions out of the imperial stronghold and talked the alliance leaders to fight Ultimate Weapon. . I know I’ll have another 80 quests before I can finally pick up Machinist, but would like to be ready.

What’s going to be the fastest way to get MCH up to level for the MSQ?

Also, is rest XP just a % of current level for character and adjusts when switching jobs, or does each job get its own rest XP?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The rested XP is shared between all jobs (including crafting/gathering) and is % of level. Don't try to minmax it, you'll just get a headache.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Doom Rooster posted:

I think I’m getting pretty close to the end of ARR. I just broke the other scions out of the imperial stronghold and talked the alliance leaders to fight Ultimate Weapon. . I know I’ll have another 80 quests before I can finally pick up Machinist, but would like to be ready.

What’s going to be the fastest way to get MCH up to level for the MSQ?

Also, is rest XP just a % of current level for character and adjusts when switching jobs, or does each job get its own rest XP?

So first, do your leveling roulette every day. This is a big chunk of xp. Then you have two main options. The first is to run the highest available dungeon. As a DPS you might have very long queue times, so to make this viable you may need help from a healer or tank friend. The second possibility is to run POTD. Each 10 level run is approximately 1 level's worth of xp. Once you clear floor 50 you can reset to floor 51-60 over and over again for the quickest leveling experience. This is role neutral, so this will probably be faster unless you can get some quick queue times.

You can also do trials and Alliance roulette once a day as well for higher level classes (50+). This is decent xp for the time involved. If you are farming poetic tomes you can also do Main Sequence Quest roulette. It is a roulette that has you do one of the two level 50 end dungeons. You should only do this if you also want the poetics, as it takes 30-40 minutes minimum, for reasons you will understand after you do those dungeons. It gives a lot of xp and tomes though. Once you get rank in your Geand Company you can run dungeons as NPCS.

Don't try to do sidequests you left behind to get xp. The xp is terrible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fastest way to level is still Palace of the Dead spam, running 51-60 over and over until your eyes bleed. I don't recommend that. Instead I recommend doing your roulettes and getting your challenge log bonuses, really get into the weeds of gameplay by spreading out amongst dungeons, fates, and guildhests. You'll have more variety of gameplay that way and are less likely to burn out.

Also you can't do Main Scenario or Alliance Roulette until you hit level 50, so I have no idea why the guy above me is recommending that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Leveling roulette and PVP roulette are the best sources of XP, but you can only do them once a day. Otherwise you can just run your highest available dungeon and go do FATEs or sidequests while waiting on queues.

You can force it by grinding out the Palace of the Dead, but it's really mind-numbing. You only get real XP every ten floors, and it really drops off after you get to level 30, so it's not really useful for expansion jobs.

I would recommend pushing forward with the MSQ while you work on getting up to date. Or, at the very least, keep doing your new roulettes to get poetics for machinist when it gets to 50. 50/60/70, alliance raids, trials, they all give a decent amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I love POTD in general but spamming it purely for job exp is kind of weirdly grindy. Take advantage of daily roulette bonuses, the hunt logs for each class, beast tribe dailies and the weekly challenge log, it all adds up. Mix in POTD if you want but I can't recommend running floors 51-60 for hours on end either.

And as many folks have mentioned, Archer/bard is unfortunately weirdly notable for having a distinct feeling desync between animations, sounds, and damage. It's a job I want to love because at its core it's exactly the type of dps job I gravitate to in MMOs but i just have a hard time getting past that.

One thing that new players can't really appreciate at first is that Square really learns the lessons from flawed design decisions and fixes or avoids repeating them in future. They can't always fix the original problem but they learn and try to compensate.

HW jobs locked behind MSQ progression? Definitely a bummer. They don't do that for future expansion jobs.
Massive cutscenes in the final 2.0 instances breaking up the flow of the content? Not done again. Cutscenes made mandatory for the new players to see the big finale; older players incentivized to run it by disproportionately good daily roulette bonuses.
ARR questing too bogged down with fetch quests and boring travel? Revamped to pare down the number of quests and steps, give Waking Sands teleport tickets, took huge pains to rebuild zones to make them flight compatible and give it to you for free to speed up the 2.1-2.3 lull.
Fights are hard to "sightread" (extremes, Coils of Bahamut raids, etc)? Work in early HW to begin defining and using a consistent visual language in encounters going forward to the point where I as a tank main run everything but savage/extremes blind and can actually do a solid job from pull 1.

I could go on, but while veterans gush about and encourage folks to push on to Heavensward because of the storytelling, a less appreciated aspect is because that's the expansion where they caught their breath and began solving some of the issues inherent in core design they couldn't do in the sheer madcap rush to fix and relaunch the game. Things only get better from there. We know ARR can be clunky and believe me, we want to help all of you get over that hump.