Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

Good news: the job I like that is not industry has been picking up lately
Better news: I is an interview for a program director position that I think went really well

Bad news: the restaurant I work at was set on fire this morning so I have a mandatory week and half off with no tips.

Less terrible news: I get paid 8hrs/day of wages through insurance during this mandatory time off.

"was set on fire" - as in arson? Or accidental/kitchen/unknown? Hope nobody was hurt regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mezzanon posted:

Bad news: the restaurant I work at was set on fire this morning so I have a mandatory week and half off with no tips.

It sure would be nice if the owners gave you notice ahead of time when they intend to cash in their insurance for a renovation.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

i thought caleb was arrested tho

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I've read stuff about how smartphones listen in to your conversations, then feed you ads based on that, and thought it was strange. It never happened to me, though that's probably bc I dont have any apps installed, dont do any social media except for this site, never once facetimed, etc. Hell, half the time my phone's in another room, or I let the battery die. I am not a phone person.

My husband, however, is glued to FB and IG. Well, seems I bitch so much about my job when I get home, while he's playing with his phone, that now he gets ads for fryers. Not AirFry's or something popular, we're talking commercial grade, like it must hear me say "restaurant" or "industry" or... idk.

I'm not sure what's scarier about this, that his phone is listening to ME, or that apparently the words fryer/restaurant/industry/whatever are all I talk about. :(

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 31, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've read stuff about how smartphones listen in to your conversations, then feed you ads based on that, and thought it was strange. It never happened to me, though that's probably bc I dont have any apps installed, dont do any social media except for this site, never once facetimed, etc. Hell, half the time my phone's in another room, or I let the battery die. I am not a phone person.

My husband, however, is glued to FB and IG. Well, seems I bitch so much about my job when I get home, while he's playing with his phone, that now he gets ads for fryers. Not AirFry's or something popular, we're talking commercial grade, like it must hear me say "restaurant" or "industry" or... idk.

I'm not sure what's scarier about this, that his phone is listening to ME, or that apparently the words fryer/restaurant/industry/whatever are all I talk about. :(

You might also use industry terms he isn't quite familiar with, or you explained once and he can't quite remember what you said, so he google searches it. Like if you refer to a problem with a piece of equipment by it's brand name and not something that explains what it does.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They do a geolocation ad thing too. So if you are near a person who googles fryers, then people who you are physically near will get ads.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

I play a dumb mobile 'Idle' game that you watch an ad every now and then to 'boost productivity', and a couple days ago it served me an ad that included my PARTNERS NAME "Install this app! You can make money from it and take [partner] on a vacation!".

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The only ads I get are for addiction treatment centers, grocery delivery, and medical supplies.

I slipped and fell into the graybrown puddle while squeegeeing up after our dishwasher had an overflow. It was warm. I didn't need it to be warm. It hurt going down, but that gloop going down into my boots was horrific. I bet I get ads for laundry detergent soon.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Republicans posted:

Sounds like all that would do is burn out the element, which sucks but wouldn't cause any harm.

I think the point was that it was still full of oil and heating when they went to drain it and.. Yeah.

Whoever it was that said that they hadn't cut themselves on a knife for a while - that's me the last 3 months. But drat near everything else has gotten me. I've got a savage burn from our service Combi on my elbow that was barely half a second touch (still angry a week and a half later). I took a hard chunk out of my thumb flipping a deep hotel bain of pasta into a tub (the day before said burn I think) which is likely to leave a scar... And I swear our pork belly aims at me directly. I can be 4 feet away and it will spit oil at me past two other people sometimes the moment I even half look in it's direction.

I'm sorting out my exit plan to be out end of this year (hopefully) though. May keep a casual hand in but will wait and see.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

This is a really common modern urban legend that tech people just can't seem to defeat. Tech companies aren't listening to you with your phone. It's just not worth the cost to transfer all the data, parse the audio to text, and then serve ads based on that. They know what everyone is googling, they know what they're looking at on amazon, etc and they know where you are, who is in proximity to you, and that ends up being a good enough way to serve up ads to people.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Nah. They're listening and logging keystrokes. We know they are. Its on you to prove they are not despite all the evidence they are.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How fast does your phone battery die if you're recording and uploading audio 24/7?

How fast does your phone battery die when you're using it normally?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My phone uses x battery. Why do you think thats an argument? And its not only phones.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Okay, if you're concerned about your laptop then you can simply check whether it's uploading gigs of data to facebook every day

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Don't really need to upload gigs of raw audio when the hardware in your pocket is already set up to passively listen for keywords without doing that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
1) Upload hundreds of megabytes of indiscriminate recorded speech, run speech recognition against it, dredge out the context of a discussion about professional kitchen operation, then determine that rather than just being an overheard episode of Restaurant Impossible, one of the people heard works in a kitchen.

or…

2) Observe that phone ID 12345 consistently connects to <HomeIP> and <RestaurantIP>, observe traffic from <RestaurantIP> overwhelmingly heads to <CorporateIP>, and therefore determine that the owner of phone ID 12345 probably works for a restaurant.

Obviously we should go with the one that requires a ton of data and processing power, and not the one that just requires correlating four different numbers.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
e: actually no, this is a dumb conversion for this thread and I'm not going to get into it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://news.softpedia.com/news/official-la-liga-app-caught-spying-on-users-to-detect-illegal-match-broadcasts-521515.shtml

Apps have been caught using the microphone to spy on users in the past.

Given how after waking, digital assistants send audio back to a central server for processing already, I would not trust big tech companies or :nsa: to just throw out a potential source of valuable data.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How does Alexa even work if it's not listening constantly?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skwirl posted:

How does Alexa even work if it's not listening constantly?

It's listening constantly, but it likely doesn't send everything all the time to save on bandwidth. Mainly sending stuff like "I satisfied this request at these timestamps" or "I recognized this song being played on a non-Alexa device at this timestamp" all to be fed into THE ALGORITHM!

And my co-workers wonder why I look upon our company's attempts to give us them for free with suspicion (I work at Amazon after my old kitchen job laid me off a few years ago)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It's listening constantly, but it likely doesn't send everything all the time to save on bandwidth. Mainly sending stuff like "I satisfied this request at these timestamps" or "I recognized this song being played on a non-Alexa device at this timestamp" all to be fed into THE ALGORITHM!

And my co-workers wonder why I look upon our company's attempts to give us them for free with suspicion (I work at Amazon after my old kitchen job laid me off a few years ago)

As well they should be. how much bandwidth is voice communication with decent compression, we could do it with copper wires like 150 years ago. There's a reason every single phone plan less than hundreds of dollars a month has a data limit, but almost none of them have a voice limit.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 2, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You want a real trip, check what your phone actually sends back. I run a pihole on my home network to do DNS level adblocking and if I'm lying in bed browsing on my phone on the wifi it'll catch thousands of ad tracking call homes an hour because mobile websites are filthy with them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Really sucks reading about all these horror stories because I made some VERY good money for my age when I was in college and got into some higher end places waiting tables. The nicest place I worked at had servers who were 50-ish years old working it as a career and not entirely in a bad way. Or at least not an awful soul crushing one.

This thread just makes me depressed and sad. What changed so much I wonder? I mean, it was always hard work with a lot of bullshit to deal with but a person could often make $200 bucks a night, cash, for a 6 hour schedule on a good shift. I did and this was in 1989.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Really sucks reading about all these horror stories because I made some VERY good money for my age when I was in college and got into some higher end places waiting tables. The nicest place I worked at had servers who were 50-ish years old working it as a career and not entirely in a bad way. Or at least not an awful soul crushing one.

This thread just makes me depressed and sad. What changed so much I wonder? I mean, it was always hard work with a lot of bullshit to deal with but a person could often make $200 bucks a night, cash, for a 6 hour schedule on a good shift. I did and this was in 1989.

quote:

I did and this was in 1989.

I'm guessing this is in a very large city, NYC, or one of the ones that likes to brag about what they have more of or do better than NYC?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing this is in a very large city, NYC, or one of the ones that likes to brag about what they have more of or do better than NYC?

Philadelphia FWIW

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Philadelphia FWIW

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get a $200 a night in tips now than it was 32 years ago, even though $200 is a lot less money now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get a $200 a night in tips now than it was 32 years ago, even though $200 is a lot less money now.

So I'm gathering.

That really loving sucks and, as a person who's done everything to washing dishes at Denny's at 16 to working in some really nice places, I always tip well, treat the staff with respect and have come to learn when things aren't going right that it's not always anyone's fault. I think restaurant work should be like the draft, where everyone is required to do it. At least if they want to dine out.

I have different kind of eyes for things when I eat out and can tell when someone has been triple seated, the line forgot to 86 something, they're down some busing staff or some rear end in a top hat table won't leave. Only thing I frown on is noticing staff intentionally being lazy or what I call aggressive indifference but sometimes even then it's easy to let it slide.

That server you saw "dicking around on their phone?" He or she may be conversing with their doctor, insurance company, mechanic or child care provider.

My biggest problem with making the $200 cash on a night was going out after work and drinking or buying coke so I'd only clear like $125 or $100. Stupid poo poo. Is drug use as prevalent now as it was then? When I worked in hash houses, the trap was buying coke or speed to get you through a double shift and failing to realize that the overhead wasn't worth it. Speed was a better investment than coke though, to be fair, and all those old ladies in the Waffle House that serve you at 2:30 am?

Hopped on diet pills or meth I promise you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Is drug use as prevalent now as it was then?

Lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BiggerBoat posted:

I assure you that if drug use actually did go down since your days...it's only because the paycheck doesn't stretch as far to get as many drugs anymore these days.

Well that or your dealer's lungs liquefied in 2020, and you still haven't found a new one yet.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh you sweet summer child...
Why the hell do you think most of us end up in kitchens? It's not the loving pay, that's for sure.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Clean kitchens that are even alcohol free are becoming a big trend. The one I worked at held NA meetings in the dining room after closing twice a week. It's the worst kitchen I ever worked in and the owners were horrendous scumbags. But maybe it works well for other places not owned by evangelical christians who think they ARE christ.

I hear the ones up around Seattle/Portland are nice. Texas probably ain't it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of phones, AND tipping...

Today we were brutalized by 3 catering orders, all going out by 7:00 AM. Two weren't so bad, pretty standard, but one called for 56 of our specialties, the Cowboy Crippler. It's a huge fuckin' biscuit with brisket, pulled pork, cheese, hashbrowns, and country fried sausage. I hit the ground running frying all those browns and sausage; fuckin' sweatin' my figurative balls off by 6 AM with that poo poo.

One of our most kind and lovely FOH women, May (single mom in her 40's who's always looking for extra hours/pay), volunteered to come in early to help wrap all this crap up nice 'n' pretty, and do the delivery.

It's a bit after 7:00, the store just opened, catering's done, and we're all panting and catching our collective breath in BOH. May walks in with tears in her eyes.

"Guys, you know what I just got tipped for that?"
"...."
"Nothing. I just did a $500 delivery and got nothing for a tip."

Enraged on her behalf, I go look at the catering order sheet to see just who these loving douchebags are. It's loving Verizon. Yeah, someone with a Verizon corporate card, who could've tipped us all, let alone poor May, completely stiffed her.

gently caress Verizon. gently caress 'em with a pair of tongs I just had in my fryer.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Enraged on her behalf, I go look at the catering order sheet to see just who these loving douchebags are. It's loving Verizon. Yeah, someone with a Verizon corporate card, who could've tipped us all, let alone poor May, completely stiffed her.

gently caress Verizon. gently caress 'em with a pair of tongs I just had in my fryer.

:gonk:
So about that new mandatory gratuity for parties over ___ size that just started today.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BiggerBoat posted:

So I'm gathering.

That really loving sucks and, as a person who's done everything to washing dishes at Denny's at 16 to working in some really nice places, I always tip well, treat the staff with respect and have come to learn when things aren't going right that it's not always anyone's fault. I think restaurant work should be like the draft, where everyone is required to do it. At least if they want to dine out.

I have different kind of eyes for things when I eat out and can tell when someone has been triple seated, the line forgot to 86 something, they're down some busing staff or some rear end in a top hat table won't leave. Only thing I frown on is noticing staff intentionally being lazy or what I call aggressive indifference but sometimes even then it's easy to let it slide.

That server you saw "dicking around on their phone?" He or she may be conversing with their doctor, insurance company, mechanic or child care provider.

My biggest problem with making the $200 cash on a night was going out after work and drinking or buying coke so I'd only clear like $125 or $100. Stupid poo poo. Is drug use as prevalent now as it was then? When I worked in hash houses, the trap was buying coke or speed to get you through a double shift and failing to realize that the overhead wasn't worth it. Speed was a better investment than coke though, to be fair, and all those old ladies in the Waffle House that serve you at 2:30 am?

Hopped on diet pills or meth I promise you.

Thing to remember is that in those 30 years, wages have stayed flat across all industries while costs and inflation rise.

People tip less, have less free spending money to eat out with and tip with in general. Plus industry pay being an absolute joke to begin with.

Drug use is incredibly rampant, always has been. I just asked people to show up sober enough to work and not deal on the premises.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

:stare: Woooooow I hope yall got something planned for their next attempted big order, like either mandatory 50% tip, or outright refusal of service. I mean I've got way more fun, and less than legal ideas but I'll just keep those to myself lol. We're we in the kitchen together I'd describe them in vivid detail rest assured. :tizzy:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Speaking of phones, AND tipping...

Today we were brutalized by 3 catering orders, all going out by 7:00 AM. Two weren't so bad, pretty standard, but one called for 56 of our specialties, the Cowboy Crippler. It's a huge fuckin' biscuit with brisket, pulled pork, cheese, hashbrowns, and country fried sausage. I hit the ground running frying all those browns and sausage; fuckin' sweatin' my figurative balls off by 6 AM with that poo poo.

One of our most kind and lovely FOH women, May (single mom in her 40's who's always looking for extra hours/pay), volunteered to come in early to help wrap all this crap up nice 'n' pretty, and do the delivery.

It's a bit after 7:00, the store just opened, catering's done, and we're all panting and catching our collective breath in BOH. May walks in with tears in her eyes.

"Guys, you know what I just got tipped for that?"
"...."
"Nothing. I just did a $500 delivery and got nothing for a tip."

Oof, this is when you start looking up the completely legal practice of learning how to make bombs, just for the info, no other reasons

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
The industry sucks and I think tipping is a big part of it. OP busted their rear end just as hard or harder than she did everyone's in a tizzy about making sure she gets paid $30 an hour to put things in bags.

I don't mean to start a FoH vs BoH war here but after leaving the industry it has only solidified in my mind that the whole situation is absolute nonsense.

From the Verizon side they're probably thinking "why would I tip someone who isn't providing a service like refilling drinks? Do you tip at counter service?"

Vvv missed the delivery part. Still hosed up though.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 5, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Disargeria posted:

The industry sucks and I think tipping is a big part of it. OP busted their rear end just as hard or harder than she did everyone's in a tizzy about making sure she gets paid $30 an hour to put things in bags.

I don't mean to start a FoH vs BoH war here but after leaving the industry it has only solidified in my mind that the whole situation is absolute nonsense.

From the Verizon side they're probably thinking "why would I tip someone who isn't providing a service like refilling drinks? Do you tip at counter service?"
She delivered the food, too. And yes I tip for counter service. There's jar there for a reason.

Like you don't even know how any place tips out. Tip sharing is a thing a lot of places, and maybe BOH still gets the shaft but you don't know that. Always tip. Goddamn especially tip when you order a horseshit amount of food.

gently caress off with your attitude entirely, basically.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
FOH person is pissed because she's most likely making $2.93/hr, especially in the trash state that JD lives in. No one here is gonna argue that what JD makes is a correct or fair wage, but that lady came in and worked extra to not even be able to pay for the gas she used to come in. Her working extra lowered her effective hourly for the entire week, and it being a corporate account where a tip isn't even coming from the orderer personally is just the piece de resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

Vvv missed the delivery part. Still hosed up though.

Lol gently caress off. "Put things in bags".