Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

.223 is just different enough from 5.56 that you can safely fire .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but if the gun is marked .223 only, it is unsafe to fire 5.56 from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What are the your lot's go to mods to expand on cooking/survival as a skill. Making a new modlist but this seems to be an aspect of the game that gets little attention.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I think someone in this thread was working on a mod that ensured all 'meats' and eggs had two scales of cooked versions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As much as I love Lombard Station (and I prefer it over pretty much any hideout mod I've found), the tunnel into it messes with companion pathing something fierce. Even more so when you have more than one of them with you.
There isn't any way to solve that short of getting the necessary tools to change the tunnel into something less obstructive is there?
Not to mention it could need the Courier pack equipment added to some of the auto sorting lists too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I tended to ~disable the annoying elements in Lombard like the doors and the bathtub but I don't think anything other than a proper navmesh will really fix companions there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The companions broke the doors somehow so they've stopped closing in my face now.
Guess I'd need to learn level editing to remove the bend in the tunnel because that's what messing up everything. Or leave them outside.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-74-KCsZm4

side_burned fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 11, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So something I discovered recently is the gtab ammo mod breaks the regular 12 gauge rounds. With the mod activated they suddenly don't spawn any pellets and consequently do zero damage when shooting.

Edit:
Looks like all of the 12 gauge buckshot type ammo isn't working with the gtab mod running.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 11, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

So something I discovered recently is the gtab ammo mod breaks the regular 12 gauge rounds. With the mod activated they suddenly don't spawn any pellets and consequently do zero damage when shooting.

Edit:
Looks like all of the 12 gauge buckshot type ammo isn't working with the gtab mod running.

So I looked up this mod to see if I could find any potential compatibility issues or special installation instructions, and I couldn't really find much. What I did find, was that the mod was released ten days after New Vegas originally came out and hasn't been updated since the 4th of November 2010, over a decade ago. This mod not only predates all the DLCs, it also predates most of FNV's official updates. As a result it also predates the script extender and pretty much all community fixes. This mod is inherently broken and incompatible with everything else unless you're playing on the 1.1.1.271 build of Fallout New Vegas, which came out on October 21st 2010, as that was the last official patch released before this ammo crafting mod ceased being updated.

I'd recommend checking out some newer ammo crafting mods, maybe ACE - Ammunition and Crafting Expanded? It came out last year and seems to be still actively supported, as an update was released yesterday. I haven't tried it myself, but it has a decent chance of working better.

Edit: As a general rule you don't want to use mods that predate the final official patch of Fallout New Vegas, which was released on July 7, 2011. Any mods older than that are likely to encounter weird issues with the base game itself.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 13, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, didn't realize it was that old. I know I used it for my first playthrough a couple of years and didn't notice any issues. But then again I didn't use shotguns then.
Might as well check out that other one then, thanks.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm creating a new mod setup using VNV as a base. I think I know how to resolve conflicts via xEdit, but what's the best process to go about it? Is it better to conflict fix each mod as I install them or install all the mods I want then run xEdit?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm creating a new mod setup using VNV as a base. I think I know how to resolve conflicts via xEdit, but what's the best process to go about it? Is it better to conflict fix each mod as I install them or install all the mods I want then run xEdit?

Doing a final pass once you have all your mods is what I do cuts down on the amount of esps you have. If you need to do a deeper compatability/consistency patch then do a separate esp but for basic conflict resolution you should only need one.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Is there a mod that replaces the preset faces with decent looking ones? I always end up making my character look like a weirdo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I guess you can use a custom race for the Courier. Pretty sure there was a lightweight version that just included the races for the main character in the Fallout Character Overhaul or a similar mod.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you're not using Old Ghoul Eye/TFT Bullet scar, I feel bad for u

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
So I've been running New Vegas for a while having followed the Viva New Vegas guide to the letter, only omitting some mods I didn't want (specifically Economy Overhaul, Unfound Loot & the INI for it, Follower Formula Redone, Better Ghouls and Mobile Truck Remastered). I still loaded the load order for the list as instructed, as the guide states this is fine if you omit mods from the list.

Things have been great until I started Honest Hearts. I started getting CTDs at about every half-hour at that point, where the game would lock up for a few seconds before the Windows "not responding" dialogue box would appear. I couldn't see a particular cause for them apart from one very specific incident - during the last part of the DLC where I was fighting the White Legs one of the enemies would go to a White Leg corpse and seem to loot it (I assume to get a better weapon or something). I had a quick save shortly before this point and every time I loaded the same happened (enemy loots the body) and the game would crash without fail. To get past this point I had to loot the body myself to empty it before engaging those specific White Legs. Really weird.

Unfortunately the CTDs have continued to occur after I returned to the Mojave. Was there a way of debugging these through one of the Utility mods, like New Vegas Anti-Crash? Any advice on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the mod support for this game truly is never ending. i take a peek inside this thread/the nexus once or twice a year and it always exceeds my expectations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rinkles posted:

the mod support for this game truly is never ending. i take a peek inside this thread/the nexus once or twice a year and it always exceeds my expectations.

You can say that again,

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73154

e;
Pretty sure they didn't have plasma weaponry in the Fallout universes WWII. But any excuse to stick swastikas on stuff I guess.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone try replicating Fallout 4's survival mode in FNV? I can imagine some of the mechanics being poorly suited to NV, the two are pretty different games after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Short of the DUST overhaul?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

never really looked into it, cause mostly heard negative things about it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think the only thing New Vegas's Survival is missing is no fast travel, no console, and bed only saves.

Which I'm pretty sure there is mods for all three.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think the only thing New Vegas's Survival is missing is no fast travel, no console, and bed only saves.

Which I'm pretty sure there is mods for all three.

I would never play a Bethesda published game with no console.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I would never play a Bethesda published game with no console.

even if you enable the console for FO4 survival, bethesda blocked some functions like god mode and noclip. which is just bizarre.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

even if you enable the console for FO4 survival, bethesda blocked some functions like god mode and noclip. which is just bizarre.

God mode is whatever, but noclip not being available in a game that's already limiting where you can save, that's just asking for losing a huge amount of progress because the game was made by Bethesda.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

God mode is whatever
it can be handy when you want to test something but don't want to worry about your health or encumbrance

Skwirl posted:

but noclip not being available in a game that's already limiting where you can save, that's just asking for losing a huge amount of progress because the game was made by Bethesda.

yup, and that's how i found out it was disabled

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

it can be handy when you want to test something but don't want to worry about your health or encumbrance

If you want to test something without the risk of death, you shouldn't be playing survival mode.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:wtc: never admit to using godmode cheats on a video games internet forum

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

If you want to test something without the risk of death, you shouldn't be playing survival mode.

why not, if i'm troubleshooting a survival save?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Eric the Mauve posted:

:wtc: never admit to using godmode cheats on a video games internet forum

I took a penny

and I didn't leave a penny

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I love to open the console and activate noclip to escape this horrid little hole the developers hoped nobody would notice

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I tried playing 4's survival mode until I was just out exploring the wasteland, hadn't found a bed in a while and was just walking up what appeared to be some broken highway when I suddenly just fell right through it and died from falling. I didn't do any jumping or climbing or anything like that, just walking along and saw a thing I could walk up and then died.

Also the fact that I kept getting diseases just from sleeping in order to save, what a stupid loving mechanic.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It doesn't require that much self control to only save when going to sleep anyways. You should be capable of that as a functioning adult.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Garrand posted:

I tried playing 4's survival mode until I was just out exploring the wasteland, hadn't found a bed in a while and was just walking up what appeared to be some broken highway when I suddenly just fell right through it and died from falling. I didn't do any jumping or climbing or anything like that, just walking along and saw a thing I could walk up and then died.

Also the fact that I kept getting diseases just from sleeping in order to save, what a stupid loving mechanic.

If it's not getting stuck it's random deaths like this that makes sure I save often. One time in Fallout 4 I died just by brushing up against a car in which I assume is due to a physics related glitch cause it happened to Dogmeat later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Wyre bashing no longer recommended?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone try out MoreMojave? Not sure if it's worth messing with LOD generation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't tried it but I'm bookmarking it for next playthru, it sounds dope

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does NV not have a customizable controlmap.txt (for remapping controller inputs)? Am I confusing it with Skyrim?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Survival Options lets you configure Survival mode the exact way you want it IIRC. It's pretty good if you just want the hunger/damage modifiers without losing hours of progress because you walked near a car and got physics'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but I was getting Fallout related videos on my YouTube recommendations, and a couple related to Fallout: The Frontier popped up, and I remembered that I never actually tried playing it. I know it crashed and burned when it launched, but I was morbidly curious and wanted to experience it for myself.

However, when I went to look to see if it still was going to be released on Steam, I found the Twitter for the mod, and to my surprise, it's still being worked on, and it sounds like it's being revamped.

Did anyone else know about this? I admit, I haven't been following the FNV modding scene, so maybe this is common knowledge.