Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Salt Fish posted:

If you need to chug a gram of salt I can endorse V8 tomato juice. They sell it in mini cans for your jersey pockets.

Mmm warm tomato juice on a 90 degree ride.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nwin posted:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

I see this as a refreshing tomato soup

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

clamato or gtfo

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

numberoneposter posted:

clamato or gtfo

At this point you might as well drink micheladas
Edit: man i wanna drink a michelada or a mangonada...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

I see this as a refreshing tomato soup

Pair it with grilled cheese and yeah maybe. Otherwise no sale.

I don't often ride long enough to warrant bringing food... homebrew pb-oatmeal cookies/peantbutter sandwiches or the like have been a goto.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

Sounds like a combo of heat stroke and bonking.

I didn't think heat because it was only about 77°F (25°C) on Saturday. A really lovely day. Full sun, but a nice breeze. I agree about the electrolytes though, that's probably key.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Safety Dance posted:

I didn't think heat because it was only about 77°F (25°C) on Saturday. A really lovely day. Full sun, but a nice breeze. I agree about the electrolytes though, that's probably key.

You be surprised how much 70+F temperature can affect you when you are being active.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hello friends have you heard the gospel of SPAM MUSUBI?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

I loving love SPAM MUSUBI but im a vegetarian ant the wife is vegan so it will be more like...
TOFU MUSUBI

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ElMaligno posted:

i wanna do some races but not to win but to challenge myself. is that weird?

I just climbed the tallest mountain in New England even though I knew I would be one of the last people to make it to the top. I did it to prove I could make it.

Always push yourself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

iospace posted:

My usual go to:

1x ~250 cal snack for every hour I'm out minus one. What I mean by that is if I'm planning on going for 5 hours, I'll bring 4 snacks, unless I have a cookie stop. My usual goto is "one hour since the last snack or 12.5 miles, which ever happens sooner". I might extend that if I have a cookie stop in there.

I always have a cookie stop :getin:

Your av, eating a cookie

bicievino posted:

hell yeah! Maybe iospace's av is eating a spam musubi instead of a cookie

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Salt Fish posted:

If you need to chug a gram of salt I can endorse V8 tomato juice. They sell it in mini cans for your jersey pockets.

The stuff works. Has lots of potassium too.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
i know everybody has their own ride things, but i would rather eat several grams of straight up salt than chug a V8 on a ride

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Gonna ride 200 miles on Thursday, made a big batch of coconut sticky rice with blueberries and chocolate chips.

The fun part is trying to eat them without making a gigantic mess, which I’ve yet to achieve.
Grab yourself some "pan lining paper" which is aluminum foil on one side and wax paper on the other. Cut your rice cakes into squares and wrap them like little Christmas presents with the aluminum side facing in, wax paper facing out.

Rice cakes are the best.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BeastPussy posted:

I just climbed the tallest mountain in New England even though I knew I would be one of the last people to make it to the top. I did it to prove I could make it.

Always push yourself.

When i started biking I told the wife that I would bike all the way to the Astoria Colum from where we live. That ride is a 500 ft climb.
Months later i did a 40 mile bike ride. THAT ride was 1,500 ft climb.

i wanna keep on climbing until i escape the atmosphere. Or about 32,810,000 ft

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Bikes are fun and cool.

I started in April and now I broke my 1k goal. Here's to a million more!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

Grab yourself some "pan lining paper" which is aluminum foil on one side and wax paper on the other. Cut your rice cakes into squares and wrap them like little Christmas presents with the aluminum side facing in, wax paper facing out.

Rice cakes are the best.

I’ve hit the strakch paper squares and they work well, except I’m terrible at wrapping.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Forgive me bike thread, for I started doing something the past couple months that I never thought I'd do: running. I've always hated running.

I had to take some time off the bike, so I took up running to stay active, and I think it has really boosted my cardio. I've been running a few 5ks a week, and now that I've been back on the bike my average heart rate has been lower and my average pace higher on some of my typical rides.

I don't love it but I might have to keep it up. Or do more HIIT on the bike, I guess, but that's hard to do around town.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 4, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Guinness posted:

Forgive me bike thread, for I started doing something the past couple months that I never thought I'd do: running. I've always hated running.

I had to take some time off the bike, so I took up running to stay active, and I think it has really boosted my cardio. I've been running a few 5ks a week, and now that I've been back on the bike my average heart rate has been lower and my average pace higher on some of my typical rides.

I don't love it but I might have to keep it up. Or do more HIIT on the bike, I guess, but that's hard to do around town.

bikes good

running good

good work :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Spin classes at the council gym have done more for my actual cycling than cycling has. Nothing like being cheered along to dance music for an hour while everyone in the room but the instructor is near collapse after 10 minutes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

meltie posted:

bikes good

:hmmyes:

meltie posted:

running good

:hmmno:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
During the group ride last night, I realized that one guy had a bell on his bike for the explicit purpose of ringing it at the people who waved at us as we rode by. :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

poemdexter posted:

During the group ride last night, I realized that one guy had a bell on his bike for the explicit purpose of ringing it at the people who waved at us as we rode by. :3:

You should absolutely get one of those clown honk honk horns and make it a thing :haw:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

learnincurve posted:

You should absolutely get one of those clown honk honk horns and make it a thing :haw:

Challenge accepted.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Somebody hit us with that on tour (we were biking opposite directions) and it was idle talk for consecutive nights.
huh HONK huh HONK

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

poemdexter posted:

I’ve got my own spurcycle salutation language:

1 ding = hi
2 dings = on your left
3 dings = pay attention
Non-stop dings = you are going to loving kill me/us

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
How are you meant to buy a saddle?

There are local shops near me with a small range, but a no return policy, and no way to try them even on a bike, let alone riding prior to buying.

There are online shops with a massive range, that may accept returns..?

Apart from the sit bones measurement, which I’m skeptical of (my measurement anyway), so getting the right width, there’s not much to go on.

Is it a case of trial and error - ordering online, trying carefully so they’re unmarked and returning till you find one that works?

I’m in the UK, a man, working up from about 100 miles a week on an endurance road bike. The Fizik my bike came with is about half the width I need, the Specialized saddle I tried most recently is horrific. I’ve been using an old WTB saddle borrowed from my mtb, but I want to switch it back.

Any recommendations?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Measure your MTB saddle and go for the same dimensions but lighter?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Would have been 47 miles, but it still loving sucks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

There are local shops near me with a small range, but a no return policy, and no way to try them even on a bike, let alone riding prior to buying.
Some shops let you check out a saddle with a deposit. Not sure how close the nearest of that ilk is to you.

quote:

Is it a case of trial and error - ordering online, trying carefully so they’re unmarked and returning till you find one that works?

Yeah, find a cheap beat up (but not sagging / bent) version of the saddle you're curious about, and resell it if you can.
Repeat. It's tedious and slow.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can narrow it down by looking at your position on the bike - while saddles are individual, it's much less likely that you'll get on with one designed for an aggressive position if you have an upright position, or vice versa. That said, the specific bibs you ride can be important too - I love my power saddle most of the time, but if I wear DHB bibs it gives me burning crotch pain within, like, 1km.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What's the best brand of electric bikes on the market for commuting? Willing to spend up to $1500. I have no drivers license.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For warranty, maybe the Townie ebike, which is Trek. That bike is just as low tier as the other cheap bikes, like Radpower or Blix.
There's an ebike thread https://www.rei.com/product/170337/electra-townie-go-7d-step-through-electric-bike

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Grouchio posted:

What's the best brand of electric bikes on the market for commuting? Willing to spend up to $1500. I have no drivers license.

you may get better answers in the commuting thread or ebike thread

e:f;b

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rode my bike today

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

There are online shops with a massive range, that may accept returns..?

Apart from the sit bones measurement, which I’m skeptical of (my measurement anyway), so getting the right width, there’s not much to go on.

I’m in the UK, a man, working up from about 100 miles a week on an endurance road bike. The Fizik my bike came with is about half the width I need, the Specialized saddle I tried most recently is horrific. I’ve been using an old WTB saddle borrowed from my mtb, but I want to switch it back.

Any recommendations?

Companies like Trek/Bontrager have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee in most regions.

Some local bike shops will have test saddles for specific brands. I know Fizik and Selle SMP's distributors will send any of their dealers test saddles.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 6, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Either glad you escaped Cleveland or my condolences for ending up in Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

TobinHatesYou posted:

Companies like Trek/Bontrager have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee in most regions.

Some local bike shops will have test saddles for specific brands. I know Fizik and Selle SMP's distributors will send any of their dealers test saddles.

We had to pay for our Fizik testers, but yes, in principle if they haven't sent out all their limited number of testers, it's possible.