Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro you do not get pussy shrapnel in CX-5 you need a Infiniti of some kind i think it was an infiniti? maybe a lexus?

The only car that actually has a chance of picking up women is an F150 super quad cab texan big dick edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KillHour posted:

The only car that actually has a chance of picking up women is an F150 super quad cab texan big dick edition.

Does it come in brown with a manual transmission? If so I'm sold.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Y'all don't understand the scene here, I could never compare with the guy with a 15 year old Miata with a tow hitch and trailer.

Serious answer you roll up in your Tesla or German import and have the help pick it up in the pickup later.

I'm in a CUV for other reasons and there's a small lie of omission that I moved a fish tank and stand, but I could have done the same in any hatchback. You're already gonna get most hauling benefit from having a hatch instead of a trunk.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I will say I could fit a lot more in the Stinger than I can in the Focus RS, even though they're both hatches. Not sure that helps literally anyone posting in this thread though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Counterpoint: I didnt buy a truck when I had the chance for all the reasons listed here and Ive missed out on both the chance to haul a lot of estate sale loot and on top of that, thousands of dollars of gains because used truck prices went to the moon.

I dont have a good track record as far as follow advice in these threads.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Just started looking and used car prices have really spiked. I'm wondering if its worth buying new in this market given I'm going to be paying through the nose anyway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

mila kunis posted:

Just started looking and used car prices have really spiked. I'm wondering if its worth buying new in this market given I'm going to be paying through the nose anyway.

No, unless you don't have other options.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The whole dang market's broken so if you're going to change any purchasing habits, change the habits that let you opt out of replacing your car for a few more years. This market makes previously expensive repairs (up to and past totalling even) look very attractive.

If you can't opt out of replacing your car, don't change your basic habits because all the same affinities still exist for why you would buy used or new. Caveat if the used ones cost as much as a new one it's usually because you need to get in line for a new one while you can have the used one right now so if you're sure it's the right model, the smart thing to do is probably buy an even older one to still make out against depreciation otherwise knock yourself out getting in line for the new one if you can wait.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello. About a year and half ago I purchased a good condition 2002 vehicle at a good price but it ended up having what I think was a windshield wiper fluid leak and general gas fuminess that ended up affecting my health. Multiple mechanics couldn't figure out what was messing me up but I eventually found the problem after months and months and took care of it, my health has improved but now I have regular headaches and constantly feel tired. I believe the car is much safer now but I think that I won't be able to tell how well I'm recovering until I've removed myself completely from the car. (Public transportation isn't an option unfortunately.)

I'm not very good at managing my life and things like this usually ending up going on for far too long, and that was before I poisoned myself, so what I'm here to ask is what would be the intersection between the fastest and most cost effective way of replacing this car with something new enough that it wouldn't have any risk of leaks? If I were to take it somewhere to trade, what age range should I be looking at for a replacement? I really don't care what I end up with as long as I can drive it to work. I currently have a budget of say, $5000-6000 before a trade-in, but I could spend more at a risk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no, that sounds awful. :( I'm sorry that happened to you.

Here's my advice, but I'd wait for others to chime in as well:

I would take it to CarMax and see what they'll give you for it. Don't offer up any information about the issues you have been having, or why you are looking for a new car.

I'd find the nicest Prius you can. Take it to a shop to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection before you buy it. It's really, really important that you do this. Don't feel bad asking for this, and any place that tries to talk you out of if isn't worth listening to them on. Take. It. For. A. PPI.

If you're not great at handling this sort of stuff, CarMax wouldn't be the worst place to buy from either.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yes. Do NOT let anyone talk you out of a pre-purchase inspection. If they are trying to do that, they are either an rear end in a top hat or trying to rip you off. If you find something you really like, you can always agree to put down a (refundable) cash deposit for them to hold the car for you. I found a great car for my younger brother, and the guy selling it went from hemming and hawing to completely patient and understanding because I gave him $200 to hold it until we could get our mechanic to look at it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All the cars Ive tried with mechanical lane keep assist seem more like they are trying to kill me. My Tacoma beeps and its annoying but at least doesnt try to steer for me

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Dammit why do I always find these excellent major purchase advice threads after I've already purchased the thing?

Anyhow, I bought a new super cab F-150 XLT with a 6.5' bed last month and it is awesome and I love it. In four weeks since driving it off the lot we've already taken it on a road trip in which we hauled a literal truckload of supplies, transported furniture twice, and moved some tools that would have been annoying and awkward to move in the Focus. My husband and I are trying to fix up our fixer upper Victorian and I finally got to the point where I was tired of the inconvenience of not having a truck and could comfortably afford a truck. I grew up driving trucks and just really like trucks (probably because I'm a tomboy with a farm girl background). It's my first-ever car purchase, too.

Dealership experience was overall pretty smooth and everyone there was pleasant to deal with and not scummy. I didn't really realize how messed up the car market was before getting there, but only finding three trucks in my desired configuration within a thirty or so mile radius probably should have tipped me off. I did the thing where I got approved for financing at my bank and used it to get an even better rate through the dealer (<3%).

Onto a question about a car not yet purchased: my sister told me she was going to start looking at cars in the next couple years as her old-style Land Rover Discovery approaches 20. She basically wants more of the same, which is rugged, angular, 4WD, off-road capable, not overly large, and not "shaped like a seed".

I showed her the new Bronco Sport, which she LOVED, but are there other small/mid-sized, truck-looking "real SUV" options beyond the Bronco, Bronco Sport, and Wrangler? Everything else I can think of that's not a pickup or Tahoe/Suburban-sized has gone crossover. Aside from finding some additional potential options for my sister, I'm also morbidly curious about and more than a little dismayed at how thoroughly the seed-like crossover form factor has taken over the smaller SUV classes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lane keep assist is fantastic at reducing fatigue on longer trips. I haven't driven any recently that I've thought were bad, though I think almost all were Audi / VW / Porsche so I guess the same system.

Also my car has shite visibility out the back and 360 degree cameras are extremely helpful, even if you can parallel park. I would be upset if I scraped the wheels.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To me "real SUV" means body on frame construction, like a truck.

I'm not sure I really even consider the Bronco Sport to be a real SUV. It's capable enough offroad though so it gets a pass.

I read your post and I think Toyota 4Runner. It's definitely mid size/large though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, you're essentially describe a 4Runner. But realize that the current gen is 10+ years old now. It's capable and extremely reliable, but it's also inefficient and lacking in modern design that something like the Bronco would have. It's definitely not small, but I also wouldn't call it large in SUV/truck terms. It's an inch shorter than an Outback and only an inch longer than a (4 door) Bronco.

I don't believe the Bronco Sport has a true transfer case 4wd system. I think it's meant to compete with the Ford Escape and the like. The Bronco is basically taking direct aim at the Wrangler, though, in terms of off road capability.

I ran into this problem when we wanted (1) not a pickup truck, (2) moderately off road capable, and (3) reliable. A couple years ago that was basically just the 4Runner (or GX/Land Cruiser for 2x the price). Bronco looks interesting, but is too new to speak to reliability.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a huge Ford Homer, I've owned 10 different Ford vehicles so far in my life, and will probably keep buying Ford vehicles for the foreseeable future, and I 100% tell people NOT to buy the first model year of a new Ford vehicle. Especially these days. Way too many issues these days. The sweet spot is the mid cycle refresh for Ford where they usually have all the issues worked out. Always give it a year though.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

skipdogg posted:

To me "real SUV" means body on frame construction, like a truck.

I'm not sure I really even consider the Bronco Sport to be a real SUV. It's capable enough offroad though so it gets a pass.

I read your post and I think Toyota 4Runner. It's definitely mid size/large though.

Same here in regards to BoF construction - I have always regarded "real" SUVs as trucks with permanently affixed camper shells and extra seating that you use for sport and other rugged utilitarian purposes. As far as I know, my sister is not aware of BoF vs unibody and wouldn't care about the distinction as long as the capabilities and rugged truck aesthetic were there, which is why I said "truck-looking". I guess the Maverick is in the same borderline territory as the Bronco Sport in that it looks like a truck and is capable like a truck but is unibody so is it a real truck or just a chunky El Camino? (I'm cool with considering it a real truck and the Bronco Sport a real SUV despite them being unibody).

I guess my personal conception of what makes a vehicle a crossover largely comes down to aesthetics - if it looks more like an overgrown hatchback than a truck, it's a crossover in my book, even if it happens to be BoF.

incogneato posted:

Yeah, you're essentially describe a 4Runner. But realize that the current gen is 10+ years old now. It's capable and extremely reliable, but it's also inefficient and lacking in modern design that something like the Bronco would have. It's definitely not small, but I also wouldn't call it large in SUV/truck terms. It's an inch shorter than an Outback and only an inch longer than a (4 door) Bronco.

When you guys mentioned the 4Runner, I was like "oh of course!!" and my mind pulled up images of the rugged awesome 4Runners of yore like

and then I went and looked up the current model and

:whitewater:

What happened? I've seen these things around and didn't even realize they were 4Runners. It got kinda fat and has a weird grille now (which I know will be a dealbreaker for my sister, sorry to say). Still, the body design/shape is spot on, as is the ruggedness, though the current model seems larger and definitely thicker than the old ones, maybe larger than what she wants. All moot though because the grille design makes it a non-starter.

If only they'd put modern innards into the awesome old body. (Now that I think about it this is pretty much what was going on with the Discovery Series II - it was a then-modern vehicle inside a shell designed in the late 80's)

quote:

I don't believe the Bronco Sport has a true transfer case 4wd system. I think it's meant to compete with the Ford Escape and the like. The Bronco is basically taking direct aim at the Wrangler, though, in terms of off road capability.

I ran into this problem when we wanted (1) not a pickup truck, (2) moderately off road capable, and (3) reliable. A couple years ago that was basically just the 4Runner (or GX/Land Cruiser for 2x the price). Bronco looks interesting, but is too new to speak to reliability.

As long as the 4WD system is capable enough to drive on steep dirt roads and through some (currently dried up) creeks and other small obstacles and get over the Donner Summit in winter without chains, then it's sufficient. No rock crawling or driving through sand or anything. If she needs to handle more serious poo poo she can always borrow our dad's truck (which I cannot borrow because I'm on the other side of the country, hence needing my own truck).

skipdogg posted:

I'm a huge Ford Homer, I've owned 10 different Ford vehicles so far in my life, and will probably keep buying Ford vehicles for the foreseeable future, and I 100% tell people NOT to buy the first model year of a new Ford vehicle. Especially these days. Way too many issues these days. The sweet spot is the mid cycle refresh for Ford where they usually have all the issues worked out. Always give it a year though.

Whoops... My F-150 is the first model year of the new generation :ohdear:. I did end up getting the extended warranty (the real one provided by Ford) because of this and also because some of the computer/electronics/sensor repairs/replacements cost significantly more than the entire warranty, so it's some nice peace of mind.

As for my sister, she's not imminently buying a car, just starting to keep her eyes peeled. Her Discovery is currently running fine and she loves it to death, but it's just getting really old (especially for a Land Rover). If she decides on a Bronco or Bronco Sport as her next car, it'll be at least a couple model years from now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ethanol posted:

All the cars Ive tried with mechanical lane keep assist seem more like they are trying to kill me. My Tacoma beeps and its annoying but at least doesnt try to steer for me

knox_harrington posted:

Lane keep assist is fantastic at reducing fatigue on longer trips. I haven't driven any recently that I've thought were bad, though I think almost all were Audi / VW / Porsche so I guess the same system.
It's pretty make if not model specific. I'm not renting cars lately to tell if the bad ones got any better or worse but I thought I hated lane assist because all the ones I used early on it was like Jesus was swerving the wheel for me all of a sudden if I got a little out of track.

I really enjoyed the Mazda one on the extended road trip I took. Instead of Jesus taking the wheel it feels more like it added resistance if I was veering toward a line and subtracted resistance to veer toward the center. So I'm still driving the car, it just makes it easier to steer toward the center.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're street parking a car in a city it's just a reality of life so i'm sure my tolerance for such things is extremely high compared to most people

most car's prox sensors won't save you from a bad cut since they don't really cover the quarter that well. you need a 360 camera for that. or you could i dunno just use the mark 1 eyeball like god intended.
This.

Vegetable, I say this to support you, but if you're going to spend $25,000 on a car you should also get driving lessons. Like over 40 hours of seat time with an instructor. It's something that you have to learn by doing. Texts and videos can't teach you the proprioception to know where the car is in space relative to everything else. It's feel and that has to be learned.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Queen Victorian posted:

If only they'd put modern innards into the awesome old body.

They wont even put modern innards into their ugly new body.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Throatwarbler posted:

You can rent a truck from Home Depot for like $30. Evaluate how many times a week you actually need to move furniture.

30 bucks? Thats a rip off.

For 19.95 you can rent this motherfucker

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know this is a joke post, but its 19.95 plus 79 cents a mile. The Home Depot truck rental is 30 bucks for 75 minutes. The HD rental is usually the less expensive choice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I know this is a joke post, but its 19.95 plus 79 cents a mile. The Home Depot truck rental is 30 bucks for 75 minutes. The HD rental is usually the less expensive choice

*points thumbs at self* You can rent this motherfucker for a combo meal at Arby's.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

KillHour posted:

*points thumbs at self* You can rent this motherfucker for a combo meal at Arby's.

*points at pile of stuff* let's go then. I love Arby's

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

King of False Promises posted:

*points at pile of stuff* let's go then. I love Arby's

Okay but butt stuff costs a large curly fries extra.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KillHour posted:

Okay but butt stuff costs a large curly fries extra.

Its probably worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yup, thats the first thing we all said the first time it happened -holy poo poo, why would you copy a Chrysler 2.7?

I can see why they did it- theres very little room anywhere around the right side of the chassis, but at least youd think theyd design a super awesome killer water pump double sealing system with a huge weep hole and maybe a sensor monitoring moisture.
Nope, its a regular mediocre water pump run off the timing chain and a miniscule easily-clogged weep passage.

Is there a way to get in there and make the weep hole bigger?

I just imagine the engineers being like "well there's no room and if we do this the oil can get contaminated. Oh well gently caress it."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: 15k.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 4 door. Something like a Corolla but no particular preference.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to the city. Occasional road trips to DC or Florida to visit family.
What aspects are most important to you? Nothing in particular. We've had the same basic car for 8 years without any issues. We're trying to keep cost of living low until for the next few years as she'll be in college so our income will be more limited than usual. We can both drive stick shift.

Hi, all. I'm gonna be arriving in Atlanta on the 14th, and my hope is try and get the car situation sorted out as quickly as possible (hopefully within two weeks).

I know it's the worst possible time to buy a car but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice.

My plan right now is to tour some dealerships and look for the best price/mileage/condition Corolla I can find for around 15k, financed.

Any other suggestions on cars that I can look at are welcome.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on reputable dealerships in Atlanta, that's welcome too.

Finally, from what I understand I should wait as long as possible before getting financing quotes from banks or dealerships as quotes within a 15-day period will only impact my credit score once, right?

Any tips for a first time buyer are welcome, since I've never done a car purchase in the US.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Financing Tldr, make all your inquiries within 2-3 weeks of each other and act on them within a month of the first one is a good rule of thumb although it's not the be all end all rule.

There's a lot of mysticism about the magic credit rating algorithm and how to appease it to go up and down but its all mostly logical to a layman if you stop and think about the business and less about your number.

When you get 5 car loan quotes in a row, they all know you aren't financing 5 separate cars and instead you're checking the market for the best rate. If you get 5 car loans in a row, and go get quoted on a furniture loan while you're at it, the furniture loan is gonna look at the car loan like a done deal and vice versa.

If you get 5 car loans in a row and don't do anything and let them time out, future auto financers are going to look at you in 2 ways: you're a time waster, or you got the car in a different way they can't see yet. A furniture loan will assume you got the car and they can't see it yet. That'll eventually become history and *number go up* but it generally makes sense: your ratings not just financial worthiness but how much of a dick you are to loan to.

When you get 5 loans quoted and eventually get one, it'll take some time to percolate to the ratings but unless it was a pants on head stupid purchase you'll usually see your score go up when it finally gets seen because it's now a known quantity instead of a loan that can go up or down based on final negotiations.

Final point if you make it a point to not dick around too often, if you get 5 quotes, wait too long, and go back to some of them to re-up in reference to the old quote, you are probably gonna get the same quote even though your credit score is worse because you're confirming their suspicion that you just let it time out but didn't do anything like buy another car.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is there a way to get in there and make the weep hole bigger?

It looks like it makes a turn outward somewhere in bowels of the motor, so even if it was possible, you'd have to totally disassemble the front of the engine, which pretty much means pulling/dropping it.

quote:

I just imagine the engineers being like "well there's no room and if we do this the oil can get contaminated. Oh well gently caress it."

I'm imagining bean counters asking "Well, will at least 90% of them make it out of warranty before taking a watery, oily poo poo?"

Engineers: "Yeah, I think so, but not by much".

Bean counters: "RAMP UP FULL PRODUCTION"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Financing Tldr, make all your inquiries within 2-3 weeks of each other and act on them within a month of the first one is a good rule of thumb although it's not the be all end all rule.

There's a lot of mysticism about the magic credit rating algorithm and how to appease it to go up and down but its all mostly logical to a layman if you stop and think about the business and less about your number.

When you get 5 car loan quotes in a row, they all know you aren't financing 5 separate cars and instead you're checking the market for the best rate. If you get 5 car loans in a row, and go get quoted on a furniture loan while you're at it, the furniture loan is gonna look at the car loan like a done deal and vice versa.

If you get 5 car loans in a row and don't do anything and let them time out, future auto financers are going to look at you in 2 ways: you're a time waster, or you got the car in a different way they can't see yet. A furniture loan will assume you got the car and they can't see it yet. That'll eventually become history and *number go up* but it generally makes sense: your ratings not just financial worthiness but how much of a dick you are to loan to.

When you get 5 loans quoted and eventually get one, it'll take some time to percolate to the ratings but unless it was a pants on head stupid purchase you'll usually see your score go up when it finally gets seen because it's now a known quantity instead of a loan that can go up or down based on final negotiations.

Final point if you make it a point to not dick around too often, if you get 5 quotes, wait too long, and go back to some of them to re-up in reference to the old quote, you are probably gonna get the same quote even though your credit score is worse because you're confirming their suspicion that you just let it time out but didn't do anything like buy another car.

Thanks for this, so essentially I should start getting quotes ASAP if I plan on buying a car on the next month. My plan was to start with a local Credit Union to set a baseline and then use that when I walk in the dealership.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 4 door. Something like a Corolla but no particular preference.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to the city. Occasional road trips to DC or Florida to visit family.
What aspects are most important to you? Nothing in particular. We've had the same basic car for 8 years without any issues. We're trying to keep cost of living low until for the next few years as she'll be in college so our income will be more limited than usual. We can both drive stick shift.

Hi, all. I'm gonna be arriving in Atlanta on the 14th, and my hope is try and get the car situation sorted out as quickly as possible (hopefully within two weeks).

I know it's the worst possible time to buy a car but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice.

My plan right now is to tour some dealerships and look for the best price/mileage/condition Corolla I can find for around 15k, financed.

Any other suggestions on cars that I can look at are welcome.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on reputable dealerships in Atlanta, that's welcome too.

Finally, from what I understand I should wait as long as possible before getting financing quotes from banks or dealerships as quotes within a 15-day period will only impact my credit score once, right?

Any tips for a first time buyer are welcome, since I've never done a car purchase in the US.

Check CarMax and similar businesses. It can give you a baseline purchase amount (they're zero negotiating and not on commission, so price you see is what you pay). If nothing else it's a good place to test drive a variety of makes and models, since they tend not to be pushy.

Downside is they're not the cheapest generally. But these days who knows, maybe they're competitive with other dealers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks for this, so essentially I should start getting quotes ASAP if I plan on buying a car on the next month. My plan was to start with a local Credit Union to set a baseline and then use that when I walk in the dealership.
It doesn't take long to get quotes. Small credit unions probably take half a business day, medium unions and banks an hour or 2. You can just start a few business days before you start shopping if you want. But also don't feel super bad if plans go awry and you don't have a car that first week, you still have some time especially if you let the banks know you're still looking if you're getting close to the quote expiration.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

They won’t even put modern innards into their ugly new body.

Is this why their BoF SUVs and trucks get absolute poo poo for mileage? I looked them up out of curiosity and was kind of appalled at how bad it was. And it's not like they even look good to make up for it (whatever the Toyota design team has been smoking the last few years is pretty bad and they should stop, IMHO).

I did see a parked current model 4Runner in the wild earlier this evening when we were out and about. It's less bad-looking in person but not by much, but the size is right, and the body shape is pretty good, even though it's kinda thick according to my obviously very outdated perception of what a 4Runner is.

Also during our road trip a new Discovery pulled up next to us at the gas station and it was a bit soul crushing. Old body Discoveries stood almost as tall as trucks with excellent visibility (which was a huge part of their appeal and why my dad bought one in 1995 instead of an Explorer or Blazer or something), but this new one was a squat, bougie imposter with poor visibility and completely antithetical to the spirit of the old ones - our '95 (RIP 1995-2014) came with a cool instructive VHS tape on how to drive through rapids and over fallen trees and poo poo and was very much designed to be a rugged off-road vehicle but this new one looks like it would disintegrate if you got mud on it and could definitely not drive over a fallen tree. Is Land Rover only about making useless status symbols nowadays?

I don't like cars anymore.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The new(ish) Defender is more in that kind of niche.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

Is Land Rover only about making useless status symbols nowadays?

Yes. They ran out of money and got bought by Tata Motors and it's been a march to the bottom trading on there formerly well deserved name reputation ever since.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes, Jaguar and Land Rover were each a successful maker of reliable cars. They went bankrupt and got passed around other car companies (because they were too successful and their cars too good, you see) before some non-whites ended up owning the company. That's when they started getting bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, Jaguar and Land Rover were each a successful maker of reliable cars. They went bankrupt and got passed around other car companies (because they were too successful and their cars too good, you see) before some non-whites ended up owning the company. That's when they started getting bad.

Maybe just say what you mean instead of trying to be cute with strawman racist takes.

I think(?) youre trying to say theyre still good car brands despite being owned by non-western manufacturers? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think they're implying Motronic is racist for thinking Jaguar/Land Rover were good until they got acquired by an Indian company.