Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Commander Keene posted:

Apparently, in Japanese, the word for "blue" and "green" is the same, and I think I read in another article on that site that I can't find right now that Japanese doesn't draw as much of a hard line between the two colors as English does, so that one kinda makes sense actually.

It's a surprisingly common translation error. Of course, neither really helps the case that blue or green are both sorta unfitting colors for a dude so centered around fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Commander Keene posted:

Apparently, in Japanese, the word for "blue" and "green" is the same, and I think I read in another article on that site that I can't find right now that Japanese doesn't draw as much of a hard line between the two colors as English does, so that one kinda makes sense actually.
From what I remember about studying it, that’s outdated/archaic (which does explain why it pops up in vidjamogames still) - there are words for blue and green in modern Japanese. The problem is more that their cultural cut-offs for the color spectrum are different, and ao/aoi covers a lot of the blue/blue-green spectrum, while midori covers a more limited range.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ok but Aoi Shinomiya isn't blue or green

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Also this game cannot make up its loving mind on how soul devices work, it’s like the DBZ editor is in charge

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Also this game cannot make up its loving mind on how soul devices work, it’s like the DBZ editor is in charge

Well, the only three hard and fast rules we have so far are 1) no complex designs with moving parts... unless you're Kou, 2) Soul Devices can only manifest inside Eclipses, and 3) anyone with a Soul Device is immune to mind wipery. Then again, everyone is also apparently immune to mind wipery, unless you're Shiori.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Nah, the delinquents are also perfectly capable of being mind-wiped.

It's just they got stuffed into Aki's Garden after that.

Thus far mind-wiping has only failed on protagonists with Soul Devices.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Apparently a lot of ancient cultures didn’t have a word for the color blue. Lumping it in with green I can understand, but the Ancient Greeks thought it was bronze.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Kou is the only one who can change to any element. However, that's pretty much the extent of his protagonist privileges.

Such is the power of the wild card.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

White Coke posted:

Apparently a lot of ancient cultures didn’t have a word for the color blue. Lumping it in with green I can understand, but the Ancient Greeks thought it was bronze.

Such is the power of the wild card.
Maybe they were lumping it in with tarnished bronze? Copper gets a noticeable green tint when it oxidizes, which is why Lady Liberty is lime and not copper.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe they were lumping it in with tarnished bronze? Copper gets a noticeable green tint when it oxidizes, which is why Lady Liberty is lime and not copper.

One of the search result previews thought it might have been referring to the brightness of the sky being like bronze. But tarnished bronze is another possibility.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 34: Aki's Drug Den :siren:

Time to finally put an end to this bullshit with Aki, and Shio is happy to oblige. We're halfway home!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean Blaze has been shattered and they leader was humiliated. It shouldn't be the hardest sell in the world that there is no need to seek further retribution.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm sad you never used Shio's flying attack

it makes a jet engine noise

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
Two things. First, I'm sad we're halfway through this game. I'm really liking the story and the overall genuine interactions between all the characters and don't want it to end. Second, PICK THE poo poo UP!!! :tizzy: Sorry. My RPG ways see all the stuff you leave behind just to keep your combo going is frustrating me to no end, especially when you lose the combo and don't even bother going back. I'm sure in the end it makes little different, but to me, it's the principle of the matter. You hoover up everything not nailed down and either use it as needed or look at all the junk you have at the end of the game and go 'Maybe I should have used some of that stuff' because you were always worried about THE BIGGER THING around the corner and never used items that might have made some fights easier/less nail biting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be clear, the later chapters are (broadly) longer than the early ones and we have an entire postgame sequence to get through which I am very much not a fan of but it *does* have a lot fun character interactions which we'll get to soon enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- One issue I personally had with Shio on my first run is that the game encourages avoiding damage rather than tanking it, and even though Shio has a lot of HP, damage still adds up over time. There are some good combinations of Elements which are helpful to let Shio tank without the damage he takes tanking your score.
- For example, Fortitude (Reduces damage by half when over 80% HP) and Thread of Life (Regenerates HP slowly). I don't think Fortitude is available yet though.
- "Each new character offers you a different way to break the game over its knee" - you're not wrong. Next chapter's character offers another never-before-seen way to break the game over its knee. But yes, the same could be said for all the characters. Even the Ex+ only ones.
- The plot starts out pretty slowly, but it is a Falcom game, which means that can ramp up to very interesting and tense stuff out of nowhere.

Ben Kasack posted:

Two things. First, I'm sad we're halfway through this game. I'm really liking the story and the overall genuine interactions between all the characters and don't want it to end. Second, PICK THE poo poo UP!!! :tizzy: Sorry. My RPG ways see all the stuff you leave behind just to keep your combo going is frustrating me to no end, especially when you lose the combo and don't even bother going back. I'm sure in the end it makes little different, but to me, it's the principle of the matter. You hoover up everything not nailed down and either use it as needed or look at all the junk you have at the end of the game and go 'Maybe I should have used some of that stuff' because you were always worried about THE BIGGER THING around the corner and never used items that might have made some fights easier/less nail biting.

- Things are going to pick up, yes.
- Items are not really likely to be especially important unless on a very high difficulty or in certain boss battles. As unskilled as I am, the combat is pretty easy on normal difficulty, and the game's generous I-frames when dodging and using EX skills helps reduce the need for items in most cases. The biggest learning curve is discovering the big difference between normal enemies and boss enemies, but once you get a feel for those, you can adjust and not need items much there either. This game is super, super generous with items and an average player shouldn't need to use many of them. ... That said, the difficulty is going to increase for hazards, enemies, and bosses.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 35: The Suffering of Yuuki Shinomiya :siren:

Let's take a chance to de-escalate things a bit and spend a little quiet time with Yuuki and Sora. Despite his best efforts to get away from all of this nonsense, Sora is going to drag him kicking and screaming into being a better person, no matter what it takes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VIII is the best Ys, but Felghana's right up there

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I've revised my guess as to White Shroud's identity.

My first guess was that Yukino was White Shroud since the mentor figure turning out to be some kind of uber badass helping behind the scenes is a common trope, but Yukino hasn't been involved in the story as much as I thought she would be if she's going to turn out to have extra significance. There's also the impression I've gotten of the game that they wouldn't have White Shroud be a male character purely to throw off the audience as to his identity, so I'm inclined to think that White Shroud is a male character.

My next thought was that the new english teacher, Gorou, would be White Shroud but he's also been involved in the story very little so far so I don't think he's been built up enough to be White Shroud.

So that means the three most likely candidates are Kou's friends: Shiori, Jun, and Ryouta. Of those three Shiori is ruled out if White Shroud's gender isn't a misdirection, although her only pretending to be mind wiped would be funny.

Of the two remaining I think Jun is the more likely, the weak little pretty boy turning out to be a super badass is another trope, and while both have been injured Jun's injury was someone cutting his face whereas Ryouta was hit by a car. Jun's situation seems more likely to be something he allowed to happen in order to preserve his cover. But what clinched it for me was Jun living in the same apartment complex as Yuuki and Mitsuki. For whatever reason people who live in that place are, or become, aware of Eclipses, so narratively Jun's living there seems like foreshadowing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
To discuss the video just released, while female characters only serving to advance the characterization of male characters is a common problem in fiction, the relationship between Sora and Yuuki is an interesting twist on that kind of dynamic. First off Sora has already had time for character development of her own, and a pretty big part of her personality is she takes mentor-mentee relationships seriously, with both men and women, so her finally being in a position to be the mentor is a big deal to her. The fact that Yuuki hates exactly that sort of relationship, especially if he’s the mentee and that part of his growth is getting over thinking he doesn’t need anyone’s help, and should rub it into peoples’ faces if they come to him for help is also important because it elevates the cliched dynamic itself into importance. I can’t tell how much of this is intentional from the writers, but I feel like this isn’t just an example of trying to justify a lazy sexist trope like say Quiet and her (lack of a) wardrobe in MGSV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

White Shroud

It's funny, Artix and I were discussing that over the weekend after we finished our latest recording session and I noted to him how strange it was that aside from this little blip cameo, White Shroud has basically been a non-presence in the game so far. That side story that introduces them makes you think they're going to be a large looming presence of the majority of the game, and... no, they just disappear for like 20 hours of gameplay and story time.

This game is so weird sometimes in that it does a lot of things right, and then drops the ball on other poo poo completely. Like, there's literally a scene coming up in a few videos' time where Kou is just standing around talking to Shiori, Jun, and Ryouta where I realize halfway through it that each of them could have 1:1 been swapped in for Sora, Yuuki, and Shio and it would have been a lot more interesting and relevant to the matters being discussed. They all feel just extraneous to the plot now and I want the scenes with them to be sparing and short from here on out compared to the scenes with members of the actual party.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Side stories like White Shroud’s and the suffering of Yuuki were added to the eX+ version, right? So that mean players of the original version wouldn’t even know of White Shroud’s existence, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Side stories like White Shroud’s and the suffering of Yuuki were added to the eX+ version, right? So that mean players of the original version wouldn’t even know of White Shroud’s existence, right?

Oh god, you're right. So that means White Shroud creepily watching over Mitsuki and her mafia maid at the 20 hour mark halfway through the story was their DEBUT in the original game. God drat...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Absent the White Shroud side story there’d be no reason to think he’s Jun but since Jun is a childhood friend who lives in the future party member apartment complex he’s either going to be a playable character or turn out to be the god who’s the true final boss.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 36: Silent Moriyima :siren:

We're off to Chapter 5, which means we get a brief reprieve from the Yakuza bullshit by taking a dip in the Persona 4 bullshit instead. It's actually a nice change of pace to deal with stuff that has slightly lower stakes...for now, anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more games should have unnatural weather and/or other unexplained phenomena that resolve themselves offscreen without incident

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Chapter 5... I like this chapter a lot. It might be my favorite one.
- Everyone who works for Nemesis knows about the Eclipse, but not everyone who knows about the Eclipse works for Nemesis.
- ...of course everything in the game is Eclipse related. These characters literally are equipped to solve Eclipse-related problems and pretty much ONLY Eclipse related problems. If there are non-Eclipse-related problems, it's better for people specialized in that field to deal with. Were you expecting space aliens or Godzilla?
- "I do appreciate that it's a nice little bit of misdirection and only upon repeated viewings do you realize it." :allears: Yep.
- I appreciate that Kou is sensible enough to ask Asuka if it would be dangerous to take the vine out of the Eclipse. (As a note, that conversation happens even if she is not in the active party.)
- I think that like Trails of Cold Steel 1, most students who aren't part of the main plot are tied to at least one sidequest.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Checked the Japanese dialogue for Yuuki's "sales" and he's talking about his stocks (presumably in the sense that human nature allows him to make predictions on that front, unlike my original read of the English which left me thinking he was still talking about people going out after the rain)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's always weird to me that conversations in this game tend to have the characters side-eyeing something just offscreen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

imo it's weirder when they talk with their eyes closed, but that might be mostly a Cold Steel thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

imo it's weirder when they talk with their eyes closed, but that might be mostly a Cold Steel thing

When in doubt, blame the Cold Steel 2 engine.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Look no one has managed to provide any evidence I'm wrong when I say that yet, ergo

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

When in doubt, blame the Cold Steel 2 engine.

Is it a notoriously bad engine, or just an old one?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

It’s an extremely limited one, from the look of it. It has things it does well, and from the sound of it, expecting it to move out of its wheelhouse is fraught prospect.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

White Coke posted:

The "Cold Steel engine" (actually a fork of Sony's PhyreEngine) was originally designed for now-obsolete hardware like the PS3 and PSP, and Falcom was also releasing these games on that kind of hardware so they couldn't code in a lot of objects even if they wanted to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah they've been using some variant of the Phyre Engine all the way up until Hajimari released last year. You know how Skyrim has a bunch of very obvious holdovers from how Gamebryo handled things for Oblivion? It's that, except the holdovers stretch all the way back to the Vita release of CS1.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 37: Kou Tokisaka's Pro Skater :siren:

Despite Crow's protests, I refuse to edit in Tony Hawk because doing so would be pretending that the skateboarding in Tokyo Xanadu is remotely fun, even in an escapist kind of way, and I will not grant it even that tiny shred of credit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You bastard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tokisaka, more like Tonihaka :skateboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvziPPpryv0

normies think "Eclipse Materials" is just a rare brand of overpriced lootcrate horseshit

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I've played Cold Steel 2's snowboarding, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+'s skateboarding. IMO, the two have essentially NOTHING in common in terms of either how it controls or how they actually play.
- Ryouta is actually at his Kendo club. No one else is, though.
- It's entirely possible that Maya sent Kou a special private request through NiAR. She does know Kou after all.
- It might have helped to find a walkthrough which would have told you who to talk to for those room decorations. You could have gotten them for free instead of needing to pay in Soul Device upgrade materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I've played Cold Steel 2's snowboarding, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+'s skateboarding. IMO, the two have essentially NOTHING in common in terms of either how it controls or how they actually play.

Neither wiggling to slalom nor the special jump (nor the ability to literally fall off the course in the parts without railings or the gaps) are in CS2.