Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Imagining them admitting sumo to the next Olympics and hakuho coming out of retirement somehow and on 1 limb and a fancy haircut that isn't a top knot still absolutely dominate for gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My tegata of Takayasu, Hakuho and Kisenosato are finally back from the framer

I dropped off Tochinoshin and AOIYAMA to get done matching these, then the July picture Banzuke similarly but with a gold silk matte.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Shiroc posted:

I dropped off Tochinoshin and AOIYAMA to get done matching these, then the July picture Banzuke similarly but with a gold silk matte.

Those look amazing! Very rad display wall.

I need to take my Tochinoshin tegata to the framer this week

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shiroc posted:

Nice. I wonder if a non-yokozuna Hakuho would be more expensive than a Yokozuna one...

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Elissimpark posted:

Nice. I wonder if a non-yokozuna Hakuho would be more expensive than a Yokozuna one...

bigsumofan did have one at some point that they were selling for a little bit more than a yokozuna stamped one: https://bigsumofan.com/collections/...=15847813414975

I'm guessing they are dramatically more rare in total numbers but demand might be suppressed by them being slightly less nice without the extra stamps and not having them seems weird since its Hakuho.

I wish I could have gotten a yokozuna stamp Kisenosato but I imagine they're in such short availability and anyone who got one probably likes him enough to not sell. My Tochinoshin one has ozeki stamps, which I'm happy for.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
they really mad at hakuho now

Hakuhou was seen on social media at the the Budokan watching the Olympic judo matches. "This is a huge problem," said Shibatayama Oyakata. "It's no misunderstanding. It's lack of common sense. He is not abiding by the virus rules. It's a total disregard of the rules. The virus is wreaking havoc and he doesn't seem to get it. This is not something small like a misunderstanding. It's a national decision after all.." he added. "The government has decided there would be no spectators. Seeing a picture of Hakuhou as a spectator is very bad,. If he wanted to go , he should have officially presented us with a written request for deliberation. If it were an official request from the Government that's one thing, but a request from the Mongolian committee would not be enough.. Does he know someone from the organizing committee? From the JOC? His being there is funny. All spectators are banned form the venues, so why should he be different? I wonder if he understands the gravity of his mistake here. If he doesn't understand it, he shouldn't be a Yokozuna! We just had the YDC scold him for his 14th day un- Yokozuna -like actions. and right after that, he goes and does this? It wouldn't be funny if anyone questions if he is worthy of being a Yokozuna, or even if he is worthy of being a Kyokai member at all! We now can't say the top guy is patient, so you guys should be patient as well!" added Shibatayama. A picture of Hakuhou was spotted on July 28th on the head of the International Judo Federation's Chairman's Twitter account. There was a picture of him sitting between Japanese medalist Ono and Chairman Vizel or whatever his name is. So Hakuhou is taking part in the Olympics after all.. A lot of questions being asked on social media, most of them along the lines of "Who the %^^&^% does he think he is??"

Hakuhou is the Mongolian Olympic Ambassador and he was present at the signing of the partnership between the Olympic committees of the two countries back in September of 2015. He was probably there In that capacity. A phone call to Miyagino beya asking if the Oyakata allowed this, Miyagino Oyakata answered that he could not comment on that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
only a few days ago we whinged about him winning strangely and now here he is watching judo? what about the covid protocols that we couldn't loving wait to dispense with and the japanese government that is loving ignoring them order to hold the games anyway? i'm a loving moron idiot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i absolutely adore that translation too. he brings up perfectly reasonable explanations himself that if he'd bothered to check out almost certainly wouldn't have necessitated this very public hissy fit

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Surely somebody in the JSA knew he was going to be there? He can't just dip out unnoticed from his heya!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

He doesn't live in the heya. Higher-ranked guys can live in their own apartment and Hakuho has a whole family and stuff. Still, would be very weird if no one in the JSA knew he was doing something that he was obviously gonna be doing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

at least figure out if the most dominant combat sport athlete alive today is allowed to watch combat sports first before engaging in whatever this particular display is

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Imagine being Hakuho and being publicly yelled at by a 2-yusho Yokozuna who has zero sekitori in his stable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Imagine being Hakuho and being publicly yelled at by a 2-yusho Yokozuna who has zero sekitori in his stable.

guess if he was a little more, er, impactful maybe he could have demonstrated how to be a yokozuna instead of screaming vague accusations with questionable merit to the tabloids.

you could criticise hakuho for may things. people in this thread have. but the man is a yokozuna and only a small contingent of underachieving dickheads contest that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shibatayama sounded familiar to me even though it's not one of the notable stables, and I looked it up and he's been implicated in several instances of abuse of his deshi. Seems like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

Shibatayama sounded familiar to me even though it's not one of the notable stables, and I looked it up and he's been implicated in several instances of abuse of his deshi. Seems like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

those stories are grotesque. i don't even really comprehend the significance of the top knot but i can imagine that cutting it off someone without their consent when the power you hold over them means they can't flog you would create quite a hostile atmosphere.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

2 part question for the stats nerds:

who has the most kinboshi?

who has the most kinboshi without ever having made it into sanyaku?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The highest-ever kinboshi earner is Akinoshima, now Takadagawa-oyakata (the stable is home to Kagayaki, Ryuden, and Hakuyozan), with 16 kinboshi. He's also the top sansho earner, with 19. As for the highest without ever reaching san'yaku, that's more difficult. On Wikipedia the top ever earners list for kinboshi goes down to 9, the overwhelming number of whom topped out at sekiwake. This makes sense, since to earn kinboshi you have to be really good, but not good enough to make ozeki since it's hard to get demoted down to maegashira as an ozeki.

In terms of currently active wrestlers, you have to go down to Tomokaze with 2 kinboshi to get to someone who has never been san'yaku, and that's only because his knee exploded. If he hadn't been injured he certainly would have reached komusubi at least. That means in terms of active wrestlers we're down to Chiyonokuni, Nishikigi, Sadanoumi, Tokushoryu, and Ura, all with 1 gold star. My guess is that the highest-ever kinboshi without san'yaku promotion is probably no higher than three, and honestly two is more likely. If you're in the joi and beat a yokozuna it has to be very weird for you to not get the komusubi nod at least.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

16 is loving absurd lol. Thanks man. Love your work.

I also guessed 3,tops for non-sanyaku because like you said short of 'just one of those days' (emphasis on 'one') you'd need to be good enough to get from m5ish to komosubi.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Looking at my tegata on the wall, its interesting how average Hakuho's hand looks. Kisenosato has long, delicate fingers. Then Takayasu just has a giant loving paw that's like 90% palm.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Looks like sumo finally made its olympic appearance (lack of hakuho not withstanding)!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10009559-riders-believe-sumo-wrestler-statue-may-have-spooked-horses-during-olympic-qualifier

quote:

In an unusual twist, scenery may have adversely impacted Tuesday's equestrian event at the 2021 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

The Associated Press' Jake Seiner reported some of the riders complained about a statue of a sumo wrestler situated next to the 10th obstacle.

Great Britain's Harry Charles told Seiner he saw "four or five horses really taking a spook to that." Israel's Teddy Vlock described the statue as "very realistic" and "looking like he's ready to fight you."

According to Seiner, multiple horses pulled up while approaching the jump, which resulted in penalties to the riders' scores that kept them from qualifying for the finals.

Penelope Leprevost of France was perhaps one of the more notable casualties.

The 41-year-old helped her country win gold in team jumping at the 2016 Summer Olympics and is a two-time team jumping silver medalist in the World Show Jumping Championships. Leprevost failed to advance out of the qualifier after she collected 10 penalties and tied for 52nd.

Jessica Springsteen, daughter of legendary musicians Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa, was also eliminated in qualifying.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

next time ride horses with some fighting spirit and gentle whispers of gambaremas as they approach the completely inanimate object

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

poor ol freckles, thought of tsukidashi and died

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Looking at my tegata on the wall, its interesting how average Hakuho's hand looks. Kisenosato has long, delicate fingers. Then Takayasu just has a giant loving paw that's like 90% palm.

Based on the printed tegata that I have, Tochinoshin has a rather long left pinky. Or I have a short left pinky. Either way I found that interesting. Tegata are just such a cool piece of merch, I really love them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Marching Powder posted:

next time ride horses with some fighting spirit and gentle whispers of gambaremas as they approach the completely inanimate object

the horse did not possess the requisite dignity and grace to become grand champion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

poor ol freckles, thought of tsukidashi and died

literally the first reference i connected with the story.

Vargatron posted:

the horse did not possess the requisite dignity and grace to become grand champion

i didn't know people read those things but yes it goes without saying the horse was foreign born and instead of jumping like a japanese yokozuna might if he felt like it the horse instead didn't jump and did other, worse things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1422736527700987910?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hakuho is going to be lone Yokozuna again at some point isn't he

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

Martytoof posted:

My pet theory is that Hakuho is going to hold off retirement just to see if he can outlast Teru’s knees and yet again be the only Yokozuna standing :lol:

I’m joking, but only just.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Brut posted:

I don't think the JSA or YDC are going to let him take a year off again, especially with another competing Yokozuna in the fold, but I'm interested to see how he comes back after a full basho. If the knees are ok and he's back at joint practices clowning on guys again he might be able to get back to the "compete in 3 out of 5 or so" schedule he was on pre-2020.

How long till Terunofuji realizes he can take a basho off every now and again?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hakuho sanding atop Mt Fuji like Heihachi tossing all Yokozuna pretenders off a cliff to see if they're strong enough to make it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hakuho is powered by sheer spite and contempt for the JSA & YDC, so he will live forever

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Honestly at this point I hope his health holds out. I want to see him knock out one more yusho as a reminder to the old men that even those among them who were once active Yokozuna couldn't get on his level.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not wanting to jinx him, but I'm also looking forward to the return of kinboshi. Not because he's a pushover, but because he's a participant.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly at this point I hope his health holds out. I want to see him knock out one more yusho as a reminder to the old men that even those among them who were once active Yokozuna couldn't get on his level.

I think the next time he goes kyujo he's probably done, but if he manages to hold his body together by pure spite for a while he could make the grumpy old men miserable for a while longer

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I want Hakuho to continue to anger the old men.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Kenning posted:

I want Hakuho to continue to anger the old men.

:hmmyes:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The horses got the statue removed!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sumo men scared the horses
Athletes Complaining
A statue has been taken

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

any horse with so little fighting spirit doesn't deserve a medal anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

net work error posted:

The horses got the statue removed!

the statue should receive kinboshi for defeating olympic horses so handily