Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

apatheticman posted:

Im in Canada and we didn't dissect poo poo because had videos and diagrams for that.

What the gently caress.

I'm in Canada and we absolutely hacked up frogs and rats in HS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So I guess the question we're all thinking of is... can you use it to make actual soup?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So I guess the question we're all thinking of is... can you use it to make actual soup?

Presumably in mouse-sized portions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Like, I feel like I settled with my Vitamix now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I believe it's called bisque

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Vodka, depression and apathy is a hell of a cocktail.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Discount Dracula posted:

Vodka, depression and apathy is a hell of a society

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

My class dissected fish. But when the teacher collected them that morning from the fishery they apparently weren't paying much attention.
Warm water fish tossed into an ice chest will go into shock.
They will come out of that shock when warming up on a table. Under the hands and knives of students.
Students will scream when they suddenly realize their dissection is now a vivisection.

I taught a marine science class and the first dissecting we did was blue crabs. Around here you go to the store and pull out live ones with tongs.
I looked up how to euthanize them, and one source said an hour in the freezer should do it. Then I moved them to the fridge overnight.
Cut to external anatomy portion, and a kid pipes up "Uh, mine moved.."
Oh, probably a muscle reaction, it happens.
"No, it's moving"
"Ours, too"
Of the four crabs, three revived. I rigged up salt water in an empty tank and put them in there. The class had to gather around the remaining crab, but it went over well.
The survivors were shown mercy and put back in the river.
I now wear one of these on my lab coat

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RIP Mac, at least he got to go before the Night Court reboot started airing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a news article I can't find right now about why the population in Russia is declining, and it basically boils down to "we've been taught our entire lives through government policy and state-run media that we're not worth anything, so gently caress it, we're not worth anything". It's pretty depressing, actually.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When you know you'll die at 65 just because your country is run by robber barons, things that are not intoxicants just don't matter.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's nice to have some certainty in your life, I suppose.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Memento posted:

There's a news article I can't find right now about why the population in Russia is declining, and it basically boils down to "we've been taught our entire lives through government policy and state-run media that we're not worth anything, so gently caress it, we're not worth anything". It's pretty depressing, actually.

Ah, so America and Russia DO have something in common

…Though that actually contradicts what I know about Russia. Both of my parents are Russian and spend pretty much all their free time watching RT and poo poo. They’re both extremely oorah-nationalistically proud of being Russian and are convinced that Russians are all the best, greatest, kindest, most competent and capable (not to mention most humble) people on the planet who can do no wrong. Maybe it’s different actually in Russia, but at the very least their exposure to state-run media has only made their egos bigger

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that it is possible to watch nationalistic media put out by a country and also cotton on to the subtext that the nationalists only care about their idea of the country and their idea of the right sort of people.

Presumably if you watched Fox or read UK tabloids you probably would not feel very much like the people behind them care a lot about you, however cum stained their flags are.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

bike tory posted:

The only reason I know what a gross is is because of that Rugrats meme
You can also remember it my memorising this snappy limerick:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Borrovan posted:

You can also remember it my memorising this snappy limerick:

A dozen, a gross and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Equals nine squared and not a bit more....

What's even better is that it works mathematically as well...

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven

Is this actually a formula for something or just an awesome rhyme? That's pretty cool. =D

My dad taught me a short rhyme for the resonant frequency of an electric circuit (?)

fr = 1/ (2ℼ √LC)
"One over two pi root L C
Is the resonant frequency."

I've remembered this since he taught it to me at, like, 8 years old, and have never used it nor known what the resonant frequency of a circuit is. =D

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I used this handy rhyming equation to get though college

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven

Another fun limerickal one:

Integral g-squared dg
From one to the cube root of three
Times the cosine
Of three pi upon nine
Is the log of the cube root of e

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stop ruining the sanctity of limericks, the highest form of poetry, with math, th the lowest form of science

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The school I used to work for, a small charter middle/high school with ~200 students, did some sort of tobacco awareness grant program, from which we got some grant money (promptly spent on other poo poo, I assume) and various instructional materials (anti-smoking posters and stuff). And so one day, I get a text from one of the administrators that some science-adjacent stuff has arrived, and she has no idea what it is, and can I take a look?

There's a bunch of boxes, and I inventory it, and we've got twelve complete kits for this demo, as if you're going to give one to every two or three kids in a standard size class (we did not have standard size classes). as if we would ever let the students touch the lungs, and not just do, like, one demo done by the teacher.

So I text her back and say, "we've got twenty-four sheep's lungs," and me and the other guy who was helping me look through it got a hearty laugh at her reaction. Fun times. Never had to do the demo, fortunately; the pandemic happened soon after.

Where did they find sheep with a pack-a-day habit?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Lone Badger posted:

Where did they find sheep with a pack-a-day habit?

There's a Scotland joke here somewhere.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Discount Dracula posted:

Vodka, depression and apathy is a hell of a cocktail.

Also access to extremely cheap and durable cars.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

That's why Japan and Denmark and so on have a disproportionate number of surgeons and engineers and concert cellists while America has like 5 people that went to public schools and became noteworthy for something besides sports.

Ah yes Japan, famous for producing high quality doctors and engineers, not just a rote learning system that kills off a shockingly high percentage of kids due to suicide from the stress.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In high school we had a weirdo science teacher who once brought in a dead Pidgeon that he'd found on the way to work and he then dissected it for us. He also once showed up to class wearing lederhosen because he was going to some October fest thing later.

Spotted this today. A lovely herpes evening.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ookiimarukochan posted:

Ah yes Japan, famous for producing high quality doctors and engineers, not just a rote learning system that kills off a shockingly high percentage of kids due to suicide from the stress.

"Shockingly high" compared to what? If we're comparing the examples from the previous post, Japan and the US, Japans child/teen suicide rate is like 600% lower than the US's per capita.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Gonna go out on a limb and guess access to guns might be a contributing factor. I wonder if the per capita attempt rate is close, but guns make it super easy to not gently caress up a suicide attempt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
But japan has access to fatal pokemans.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

The key issue gets overlooked: namely that neoliberalism has a massive hard-on for applied sciences. It (1) forces it onto kids who aren't interested/capable, and (2) teaches those who are to have a massive superiority complex / look down on anyone else. It doesn't matter at what age this is taught or how many years kids spend in general education programs, this ideology is pervasive everywhere. Applied science curriculums are the perfect high-end result of 19th century industrial education that wanted employable/exploitable labour, not critical thinkers, creatives or counselors.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah don't Japanese people commit suicide by like wandering out into some haunted forest to starve or something

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This derail has led to me learning that teen suicide is the only suicide statistic in Japan that's actually going up instead of down.

The country is getting better as a whole, but kids specifically are more likely to kill themselves. Motivations tend to be connected with bullying and abuse from teachers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/KTq08jk.mp4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

That's salt! Ellie that's salt. Ellie that's salt. Ellie that's salt that's salt. That's salt. That's salt.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Get your poo poo together Ellie

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Link didn't copy correctly. Trailer for What If - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951075&pagenumber=427#lastpost

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/oBOxdnA.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah don't Japanese people commit suicide by like wandering out into some haunted forest to starve or something

Nah, they tend to go out to places like that to hang themselves iirc. The other go-to is jumping off a roof or cliff.