Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strategic Tea posted:

lol the RPS review said it had a well written exploration of queer self-hate which I assume was referring to that :negative:

yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I remember being struck by that part of the story when I played it, and explaining to a friend:

There aren't any gay people in Skyrim.
There aren't any straight people in Skyrim.

Leaving aside where the character story goes (for the best), just doing the rounds of the town and meeting A Gay Person introduces the concept of sexual orientation, which was previously completely absent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vavrek posted:

I remember being struck by that part of the story when I played it, and explaining to a friend:

There aren't any gay people in Skyrim.
There aren't any straight people in Skyrim.

Leaving aside where the character story goes (for the best), just doing the rounds of the town and meeting A Gay Person introduces the concept of sexual orientation, which was previously completely absent.

I mean, there's no canon same sex couples in Skyrim's world among NPCs, but you can at least drag anyone you want into the Temple of Mara and marry them regardless of gender if you talk to them wearing a magical amulet. So at least the game doesn't discriminate in regards to player agency.

Also the idea of sex in Skyrim is kind of a non-starter in general. Nazeem tried to warn us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqpknkq9O8

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, there's no canon same sex couples in Skyrim's world among NPCs

Wrong. There's that dead gay couple in Solstheim.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow. gently caress off, Bethesda.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

we love our dead gay couple

(I genuinely have no idea who you mean I just had to go straight for Heathers)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the topic of sex-themed interactions, going back to Skyrim after half a decade I have run into things that that honestly feel out of place, like the quest to slut-shame Helga at the Bunk House, and the way someone acts shocked when Thonar Silver-Blood's wife implies she worships at the Dibellan Temple, like she is outing herself as a whore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

On the topic of sex-themed interactions, going back to Skyrim after half a decade I have run into things that that honestly feel out of place, like the quest to slut-shame Helga at the Bunk House, and the way someone acts shocked when Thonar Silver-Blood's wife implies she worships at the Dibellan Temple, like she is outing herself as a whore.

Conversely the quest to save a twelve? year old girl to be the new oracle at the Temple of Dibella has some really weird implications. Like everyone’s okay with it in setting, including the girl and her family, but a twelve year old devoting her time to study and meditation on the sex goddess is…odd.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the idea of sex in Skyrim is kind of a non-starter in general. Nazeem tried to warn us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqpknkq9O8

And if you ever need a reminder, the best Skyrim mod came out a few weeks ago

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So Arthmoor went ahead and deleted all his mods except for the unofficial patches at the last moment possible:

Arthmoor posted:

Due to the recent policy changes Nexus has instituted, I have put in the request for deletion of most of my files here. Not to worry, everything I have done over the last 15 years has been on AFK Mods for several years now for all of the BGS games I've modded. The files for Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 are also available through the bethesda.net website.

Ya'll can go ahead and get the accusations of hypocrisy over with for the work I will be leaving here since I am in a position at the moment where the income generated through DPs is providing enough to keep me from starving to death (but not much more).

As of this notice, no more updates or new material will be uploaded by myself.

Per the standing agreements with the unofficial patch team members, the unofficial patches for SSE and Fallout 4 will continue to receive all regularly scheduled updates, but these will be the ONLY packages in my account that will be.

Here's to hoping that current efforts by several parties to launch sites that honor a mod author's legal right to delete their content take hold and provide some badly needed competition in this space.

I also want to make one thing crystal clear: No permission will be granted to anyone to upload any of my work that is deleted to Nexus or any other website. So don't ask.

I'm in the Wabbajack discord and it looks like it will take a little while for some of the modlists to adjust, because for some reason they hadn't already phased out his mods in advance on the expectation that he would pull some poo poo like this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
loving LMAO. Arthmoor is seriously the worst, god drat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

On the bright side this means it's practically guaranteed that he'll be out of the picture for Starfield and TES6. That is to say, unless he returns specifically to hog the X Unofficial Patch-type mods before anyone else can organize something. This is of course exactly what is going to happen.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Thank god, now we just have to hope nobody is stupid enough to care about his whiny bullshit and we can finally move on as a community.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Arthmoor ball status: taken home.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

gently caress arthmoor, hope he fades into obscurity now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

So Arthmoor went ahead and deleted all his mods except for the unofficial patches at the last moment possible:

I'm in the Wabbajack discord and it looks like it will take a little while for some of the modlists to adjust, because for some reason they hadn't already phased out his mods in advance on the expectation that he would pull some poo poo like this.

:lol: Good riddance! His mods were like a decade out of date anyway. Run For Your Lives is the only one I think hasn’t had a replacement come along for it yet.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
How long until he comes back, do we figure?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm going to miss The Fall of Granite Hill; the experience of returning to a town only to find Alduin in the process of turning it into rubble was a wonderfully memorable experience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm going to miss The Fall of Granite Hill; the experience of returning to a town only to find Alduin in the process of turning it into rubble was a wonderfully memorable experience.

Also Point The Way is still sort of an essential mod that hasn’t really been replaced or replicated yet. It really helped in getting around places without having to resort to opening the map screen or fast travelling. Same with Bring Out Your Dead and Cutting Room Floor.

But stuff like The Paarthurnax Dilemma and his town mods aside from Granite Hall have all had new and better mods come along to render them redundant. So gently caress Arthmoor.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I think Arthmoor's going to find a lot less people care about his asinine, childish tantrum than he believes, and modding will continue just fine better without him.

I can't wait to see how he tries to lash out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How long until somebody post The Cute Room Floor?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Point The Way is still sort of an essential mod that hasn’t really been replaced or replicated yet. It really helped in getting around places without having to resort to opening the map screen or fast travelling. Same with Bring Out Your Dead and Cutting Room Floor.

But stuff like The Paarthurnax Dilemma and his town mods aside from Granite Hall have all had new and better mods come along to render them redundant. So gently caress Arthmoor.

And immediately as I say that, someone literally just published a mod that's basically a replacement for Point The Way lol. They were probably waiting for this specific moment when Arthmoor ripped all his poo poo down from Nexus to upload it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
He'll be back, he's done this before. He storms out, nobody comes with him, he needs his ego stroked, he'll slink back and act like he never left. It might not work that way, but he'll attempt it. I enjoy is 'maybe someone ELSE will make a Nexus replacement that respects the modders' take as he's not willing to help out, I guess. Also nobody will go, players go where there is easy content to consume. That's the Nexus. No players, no audience, no attention.

He's a dumb, predictable milquetoast has-nothing-else stereotype. Glad to see he's finally jumped to the next level, maybe this time he'll stay out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love the detail that hes apparently still unemployed, in this loving everyone is screaming for employees economy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
who would hire him, no one's that desperate

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think that was more of an attempt at a "Look at how much I make from modding" flex than "I am unemployed"... but it's Arthmoor so I wouldn't blame employers for dumping him at the drop of a hat. The man is the avatar of every whiny, entitled dipshit that has ever lived.

I've thankfully pruned his mods from my load order a long time ago (with the obvious exception of the unofficial patch because that poo poo is ubiquitous). Hopefully Arthmoor will finally gently caress off, but I doubt it. His desperate need for attention and validation will ultimately always win when pitted against his nascent pettiness. He'll be back, and he'll be bitchier than ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Basically the Ultimate De-Arthmoorized Modlist is as follows:

The Paarthurnax Dilemma > Paarthurnax Quest Expansion
Run For Your Lives > AI Overhaul and/or Protect Your People
Point The Way > Waymark
Bring Out Your Dead > Skyrim Graveyards and/or Sepolcri
Live Another Life > Realm of Lorkhan
Ars Metallica > Complete Crafting Overhaul
Cutting Room Floor > Just delete it
Open Cities > Just delete it
Dawnguard Map Markers > Atlas Map Markers
Oakwood/Telengard/Helarchen Creek/Keld-Nar/Whistling Mine/The Fall of Granite Hill > Just delete it
Incognito > I was gonna suggest Master of Disguise, but it's been ripped down for the Nexus too, so gently caress it, delete it
Falkreath/Rorikstead/Dragon Bridge/Soljund's Sinkhole/Shor's Stone/Darkwater Crossing/Ivarstead/Kynesgrove/Karthwasten > Any combination of JK's Skyrim, The Great Cities Of..., Cities of the North, or Expanded Towns and Cities
Provincial Courier Service > Skald's Mail
Gildergreen Regrown > wait till someone makes a replacement for it
Manor Roads > delete it or wait for a replacement
Castle Volkihar Rebuilt > delete it or wait for a replacement

Think that covers everything worth having.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'm watching an old MATN playthrough of Skyrim right now and he installed Open Cities a few episodes ago. In this episode he notices the Giant Oblivion gate statue in Whiterun and is completely baffled why it's there. Had a good laugh over that.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Open cities is just a compatibility nightmare too and I've never run it in any of my games for very long

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Some of the orchestral stabs in Dishonored feel Elder Scrollsy, and it's been pushing me back towards the series. Pop into the SA thread on a whim, see what's changed over the years. LMAO loving arthmoor, still.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

ThaumPenguin posted:

You would think that the past 15 years or so would've been enough evidence that you should have some sort of Arthmoor Contingency in place, also :laffo: at the free market undertones here. Clearly if another modding site pops up, the competition will force nexus to correct its evil ways. It'll happen any day now!

That aside, I've reinstalled Skyrim SE again and haven't put together a big modlist for a while. Has much changed as far as recommended mods? Would a new thread be in order, or is interest low enough now that it'd be better to just let it sit?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

could have the OP of the thread link to a rehost of cutting room floor / whichever arthmoor mods dont have replacements currently

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I don't understand the tribalism about where people download mods from. It's not like if these sites never existed, that people would somehow lose the ability to share mods. All it would take is a loving magnet link and a seeder. I'm finding it very hard to care if I have to go to a different base URL or link to get a mod file.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Dongicus posted:

could have the OP of the thread link to a rehost of cutting room floor / whichever arthmoor mods dont have replacements currently

I don't even really play Skyrim anymore and don't have the time or inclination to maintain the OP. I have basically put this thread up to be replaced. Somewhere in the thread I posted the raw text of the OP as a place to start, if anyone is interested in that project they can probably find it by clicking on the question mark button to see just my posts.

Edit: Really though, someone with the time and interest in Skyrim modding taking over the wiki and making it a useful resource that many people can work on is probably better than relying on One Guy to keep an OP updated: http://tesgoons.wikidot.com/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 6, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'll throw my hat in the ring for a Wabbajack modlist called Licentia. Yes, it has both Ostim and CBBE but when you actually get in-game the NPCs are all basically vanilla but with cleaned-up, better looking faces, so no anime booby girl poo poo. It has basically every QoL mod you could ask for including combat overhauls and death animations and it Just Works(tm). The only complaint I have about it is that whatever graphics overhaul they use makes the game look a little too colorful for my taste.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically the Ultimate De-Arthmoorized Modlist is as follows:

The Paarthurnax Dilemma > Paarthurnax Quest Expansion
Run For Your Lives > AI Overhaul and/or Protect Your People
Point The Way > Waymark
Bring Out Your Dead > Skyrim Graveyards and/or Sepolcri
Live Another Life > Realm of Lorkhan
Ars Metallica > Complete Crafting Overhaul
Cutting Room Floor > Just delete it
Open Cities > Just delete it
Dawnguard Map Markers > Atlas Map Markers
Oakwood/Telengard/Helarchen Creek/Keld-Nar/Whistling Mine/The Fall of Granite Hill > Just delete it
Incognito > I was gonna suggest Master of Disguise, but it's been ripped down for the Nexus too, so gently caress it, delete it
Falkreath/Rorikstead/Dragon Bridge/Soljund's Sinkhole/Shor's Stone/Darkwater Crossing/Ivarstead/Kynesgrove/Karthwasten > Any combination of JK's Skyrim, The Great Cities Of..., Cities of the North, or Expanded Towns and Cities
Provincial Courier Service > Skald's Mail
Gildergreen Regrown > wait till someone makes a replacement for it
Manor Roads > delete it or wait for a replacement
Castle Volkihar Rebuilt > delete it or wait for a replacement

Think that covers everything worth having.

I genuinely like Live another Life over Realm of Lorkhan. But other than that, yeah.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

I don't even really play Skyrim anymore and don't have the time or inclination to maintain the OP. I have basically put this thread up to be replaced. Somewhere in the thread I posted the raw text of the OP as a place to start, if anyone is interested in that project they can probably find it by clicking on the question mark button to see just my posts.

Edit: Really though, someone with the time and interest in Skyrim modding taking over the wiki and making it a useful resource that many people can work on is probably better than relying on One Guy to keep an OP updated: http://tesgoons.wikidot.com/

lol drat i didn't realize this thread is like 5 years old now

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I genuinely like Live another Life over Realm of Lorkhan. But other than that, yeah.

I've never tried Realm of Lorkhan but Live Another Life is probably the only Arthmoor mod I'd genuinely miss if I didn't already have it downloaded and archived.

Skyrim Unbound was quite good too, a few versions ago the last time I tried it.

Have there been any other prominent Nexus departures besides Arthmoor?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

docbeard posted:

I've never tried Realm of Lorkhan but Live Another Life is probably the only Arthmoor mod I'd genuinely miss if I didn't already have it downloaded and archived.

Skyrim Unbound was quite good too, a few versions ago the last time I tried it.

Have there been any other prominent Nexus departures besides Arthmoor?

I'll miss live another life, but mostly because I didn't get the latest version of living skyrim downloaded while it was still available so now I'll have to wait while they rebuild the modlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Nexus ought to just ban Arthmoor just for the hell of it.