Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

__________\

Tried them for murderrrrrr! Gave em the chairrrrrr!

Ahhhhh, I can hear it SO well. That, and Ray's "FRIENDS OF YOURRRRS?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s such a weird line read

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It’s such a weird line read

I don't know, they're freaking out at the time. Plus, Harris Yullin is just... well, he plays ornery very well. He's in Ozark, if anyone's interested.

I find his line reading of "Oh my god, the Scoleri brothers!", where he looks like he's about to fall asleep way weirder.

Also, something I always noticed, when they're in the side hallway...

Wexler: "Alright, alright... I rescind the order. Case dismissed!"
Louis: "Yay, I won the case!!!
Wexler: "Now DO something!!"
Louis: *silently freaks out like he's still talking*

When I was a kid, I didn't know what the hell was going on, but now I realize that he's probably still talking/celebrating, but they cut out the scene audio in full, and had Yullin overdub his "now do something!" in post. Likely because it couldn't be heard properly.

But man, when you notice it, you never miss it going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDg9gjH7-M

It's at 4:48 in that video. Rewatching it now, he does stop freaking out, but starts to go right back into it after "now DO something!", so I guess they just just flat out cut him off in post. :shrug:

Wow, I think there was a bunch cut out from the actual battle. Egon rolls the trap out, but all of a sudden, Ray's yelling "Spengy, no no!!", it cuts to Peter very clearly mouthing "poo poo, poo poo poo poo!!"... and then... success? What the hell?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 3, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

Am I the only one old enough to have played Ghostbusters on the C-64?

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Ghostbusters

Nah, and I didn't have any instructions and it took me YEARS to figure out how to trap a ghost and I never figured out what to do when Stay Puft gathered or what to do to get to the final building.

I forgot how I accidentally figured out how to get a ghost but I was so surprised that it could even happen.

Note the C64 had games shipped that were legitimately broken like Robocop where you couldn't progress through stage 3 because the game literally did not give you enough time to pass a section before the time ran out. So you wouldn't be that surprised when things just didn't work.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

come on fay boy, i'm gonna take you home to my private zoo!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

PhotoKirk posted:

GHOSTBUSTERS! YAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PhotoKirk posted:

I hope it was better on there than it was on the NES.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I definitely recall the C64 game had different cars you could choose, and ways to arm them. I distinctly recall playing the game, even though we would've gotten rid of the C64 before the second movie came out, and I didn't see the first one until well after the second movie.

Even my stepdaughter is excited to see the movie, and she doesn't like going to movies at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's at 4:48 in that video. Rewatching it now, he does stop freaking out, but starts to go right back into it after "now DO something!", so I guess they just just flat out cut him off in post. :shrug:

Wow, I think there was a bunch cut out from the actual battle. Egon rolls the trap out, but all of a sudden, Ray's yelling "Spengy, no no!!", it cuts to Peter very clearly mouthing "poo poo, poo poo poo poo!!"... and then... success? What the hell?

It looks like the part behind the screen was maybe shortened overall, since there's also some weird ADR for the judge saying "now do something!" where his mouth hangs open a second too long then Louis seems to start to say something again. Also the 'busters smile then get serious, so maybe they were going to try to mess with him some more and that got re-edited to cut it there.

As for the end of the battle, I think Ray is yelling "Now now now, Spengy!" and then they just cut the "poo poo" vocal for kid friendliness.

(also as far the "sleepy" thing, I think the idea is they are all squinting from the bursts of light, they all are under the desk as well)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Looks like the mythbuster guy is going to be doing a behind the scenes series on the new film leading up to release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdeBrw2g_M

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

PhotoKirk posted:

I remember renting this game and getting so pissed off that I couldn't figure out the most basic controls that I talked my mom into driving me back to the video store to exchange it for literally anything else. It was broken as hell.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Five year old me showed absolutely no restraint in repeatedly hammering the spacebar to play the “Ghostbusters!” sound clip.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

PhotoKirk posted:

All I remember is the ghost icons flying around the city map, then the driving sections trying to scoop up ghosts, then getting all my dudes squashed by Stay-Puft trying to get into the building

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Didn't play the C64 version. However, I was unfortunate enough to have owned and played a lot of Ghostbusters on the Sega Master System.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

All I remember is the ghost icons flying around the city map, then the driving sections trying to scoop up ghosts, then getting all my dudes squashed by Stay-Puft trying to get into the building

Your reward for busting ghosts was earning more money before Stay-Puft. Then, if you got past him, you did the whole thing over again.

It was innovative at the time, but not well thought through. For instance, in the driving sequence you could vaccuum up ghosts for more money, but the most expensive vehicle was so fast that you lost money on the drive. It’d have been valuable if that speed meant you could prevent Gozer from appearing, but you couldn’t.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

It's my dick in a trap
My dick in a trap babe
It's my dick in a trap
Ooh, my dick in a trap girl

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ever do a home version of the arcade game? I remember playing that at the bowling alley a lot. (It was either that or Rampage.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Did they ever do a home version of the arcade game? I remember playing that at the bowling alley a lot. (It was either that or Rampage.)
I only ever saw that game at a bowling alley in Austin, Tx. and I completely forgot about it!

I wonder if I could track down a copy.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

PhotoKirk posted:

I played it on the Apple IIe.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, on the C64. Maybe some other 8-bit computers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sKCU1yBOw

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The best Ghostbusters toys are the Playmobil sets, fight me irl

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The fake Beetlejuice 2 (Be2lejuice?) posters doing the rounds made me surprised that nobody's done a Ghostbusters Vs Beetlejuice crossover yet - ghost exterminators against bio-exorcist. Or is somebody going to tell me that Real Ghostbusters did an episode that was basically that?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Payndz posted:

The fake Beetlejuice 2 (Be2lejuice?) posters doing the rounds made me surprised that nobody's done a Ghostbusters Vs Beetlejuice crossover yet - ghost exterminators against bio-exorcist. Or is somebody going to tell me that Real Ghostbusters did an episode that was basically that?

I remember a Ghostbusters vs Freddy fan film, but nothing with Beetlejuice.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rewatched Ghostbusters 2 for the first time in ages, and while the overall movie does indeed suffer from "it's the same story with a few changes"... itis, there's still a lot to like there.

One of my favourite things about the movie are the ghosts, and not just the individual ghosts, but the very cool idea that a train which derailed and killed hundreds of people could have a ghost. The idea of a ghost train zooming around on forgotten tracks underneath New York is somehow just the exact kind of sad and tragic to get to me. And of course, the Titanic. That shot of the Titanic in port, with a gaping hole in her hull, with an endless line of sad, haggard ghosts walking buy. Oh man, that hosed me up for WEEKS when I was a kid and I still felt it now.

And of course, as this thread discussed, that final scene where the Statue of Liberty is walking through New York to Higher and Higher is just such a god drat amazing scene.

I also spotted a lot of fun little details I missed previously. Like when Dana is visiting Egon at the start of the movie and asks if Venkman asked after her. When Egon tells her no, and she looks sad, Egon sneakily lifts up the god drat mood measuring thingy to scan her with a curious look on his face. Always the scientist :allears:

And of course it's about time to admit to myself that Annie Potts with red hair and those glasses hit my life just at the right time to leave a permanent mark on me. God drat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And of course it's about time to admit to myself that Annie Potts with red hair and those glasses hit my life just at the right time to leave a permanent mark on me. God drat.

Yeah, when I was little (saw it when I was 6), I was mildly suspicious that she was played by a completely different person from the first. But then again, I feel like I had some sort of weird face blindness, because to me, Ernie Hudson didn't even look the same (it's his hair and lack of mustache), so I felt the same about Winston. :shrug:

Anyway, I would play Boggle and/or Super Mario Bros with her any day, goddamn.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
GB2 was informed a fair bit by Real Ghostbusters, so Janine looked more like she did in the cartoon, as did Winston. Plus you’ve got Slimer hanging around the firehouse eating all the food, and even the way the ghost trap worked changed (the foot pedal now just uses one press to start the open-trap-close procedure, rather than the first movie’s two presses to open, then close).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Doctor posted:

GB2 was informed a fair bit by Real Ghostbusters, so Janine looked more like she did in the cartoon, as did Winston. Plus you’ve got Slimer hanging around the firehouse eating all the food, and even the way the ghost trap worked changed (the foot pedal now just uses one press to start the open-trap-close procedure, rather than the first movie’s two presses to open, then close).

Huh, that's cool. I don't think I've ever seen any RGB. Would it still be worth watching without specific nostalgia?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Huh, that's cool. I don't think I've ever seen any RGB. Would it still be worth watching without specific nostalgia?

The first two seasons, for sure.

Especially the Boogeyman episodes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Agreed. For a late 80s cartoon it's held up surprisingly well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J Michael Strazynski (I might've butchered that spelling) wrote some terrific episodes. It's like he was a huge fan, and wrote awesome fanfic that became official. Great stuff. Sure, it gets campy and silly often, it IS a children's cartoon, but given that, some episodes are pretty dark.

Ragnarok and Roll, for one. Like... jeeeezus.

Edit: this episode among others are currently legitimately free on youtube, from the official GB channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GA_flQvN-o

I don't think there's any continuity in it with other episodes (that never happens anyway), so just having watched the movies, you should be fine to check it out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 5, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If Lorenzo Music is voicing Venkman instead of Dave Coulier, you're probably in for a good time. Specific episodes that are really good off the top of my head aside from the above are "Collect Call of Cathulhu," "When Halloween Was Forever,"* "Knock, Knock" "Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream,"** and the kinda sad "Drool The Dog-Faced Goblin."

*That one premiered as a Halloween special in prime time.
**The first time Janine does the busting of ghosts, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My personal favourites are The Devil to Pay and When Halloween was Forever II.

The former because they guys go up against the literal devil, Satan himself, for their lives, in some game show from actual hell, and the latter because I really loved the idea of the firehouse having some weird, hellish version. They send Slimer in, and he has to navigate through it all in order to trigger something to set things right. Something about a cornerstone?

Anyway, solid episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh yeah, there’s a lot of really good episodes. I’ve been rewatching it recently, and I’ve been surprised how funny it is, too. Some of the animation is great too. There’s an episode called Venkman’s Ghost Repellers, which features Peter’s dad. The animation on it looks really, really good.

Others I recommend:
- Citizen Ghost
- Ragnarok and Roll
- Knock, Knock
- The Spirit of Aunt Lois
- Beneath These Streets

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Payndz posted:

You had to go to Universal Studios and catch their shows to see that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5G4gE0PUc

8one6
May 20, 2012

Chicken, He Clucked is an incredibly stupid episode but I can't help but love it because the premise made me laugh my head off as a little kid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One other one I'll throw out is The Revenge of Murray the Mantis which is one of the rare Egon backstory episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The best thing about Real Ghostbusters is that it works as like a horror primer for kids who were too young to have seen anything else yet. Like, I'm pretty sure the first werewolf transformation scene I ever saw was in "No One Comes to Lupusville", which aired when I was 3 years old. Same with the Cthulhu episode, I watched that when I was 3 years old and obviously had no idea about any of the Lovecraft context.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

"DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DOOMSDAY"

scared the pants off me as a little kid and was burned into my brain for life.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I definitely recall the C64 game had different cars you could choose, and ways to arm them. I distinctly recall playing the game, even though we would've gotten rid of the C64 before the second movie came out, and I didn't see the first one until well after the second movie.

I'd forgotten about that. You could pick a small sports car that would get to the ghost sightings really quickly but couldn't carry much, or you'd get a massive van that could carry all the traps you needed but you'd never get to the sightings on time. the Ecto 1 was actually the best balance.

The weird thing was I taught myself how to play the game and figured out things like you could "freeze" ghosts on the map by running them over to slow down the build up of Gozer's power, but then you had to carry the ghost vacuum to suck them up on the driving sections (god, that "game" was a grind). And the actual ghost busting was twitchy as hell and blatantly cheated.

Gnome de plume posted:

Ugh, that Stay Puft bit was the source of many a child-rage screaming fit. The controls were so janky.
I also sat there clueless the first time I got to Gozer and didn't realise you had to cross the streams despite having watched the movie plenty of time.

God, the C64 had some crap games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dog_Meat posted:

God, the C64 had some crap games...

I think it was even worse on the NES. I remember my dad brought home like half a dozen NES games because somebody at work was getting rid of their kid's collection or the kid was or whatever, but I was the lucky recipient. The first two I played of that little collection was Tetris and Castlevania II so we're on high and solid and ground and then Ghostbusters! A GAME about Ghostbusters! I wondered if Dad could have gotten the money he didn't pay for them back.