Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue posted:

the entire picture is basically 'if seinfeld never stopped, and George just keeps falling back-asswards into better and higher paying jobs'

alternatively 'we gave Kruger control of CIG'

I'm not sure what Kruger is in this context or you meant Kramer but it made me remember this which was nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Thoatse posted:

I'm not sure what Kruger is in this context or you meant Kramer but it made me remember this which was nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kVBGeQeR4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

K UGER!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cat Stranding looking good

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: Probably going to get downvoted for showing this, but the desync in 3.13.1 and 3.14 really makes the game unplayable... You could be dodging every single shot and it doesn't matter because your opponent sees you as comepletely still. I understand that server meshing is coming soon, but this is baddd

https://v.redd.it/7pakuley75f71/DASH_480.mp4

Server mushing coming soon :v:

:reddit: posted:

The positional desync is so bad, that my rear shields go down when i'm heading face on, and then the front of my ship starts to get damaged...

At the end, only my rear shield is down, NONE of the shots hit on my end, and then my ship combusts out of nowhere. I know reddit isn't the best place for this, but people really need to see how bad the combat desync is right now.

to be honest this has been happening for years and its just more obvious in this patch. Losing your rear shields and your hits never registering on an opponent has been the case for a long time, but now its happening with every ship and not just the fast ships strafing around to stay behind you on their screen while you are turning and registering hits on them on your screen.

There is no "game" until basic network and video performance is fixed.

Everything they keep on fiddling with and revising in all of these updates...

It's as if they're constantly re-renovating the same bathroom over and over -- changing the paint on the wall, then the next day deciding to replace it all with tile anyway, then putting in a fancy new toilet and shower head -- the whole while, the plumbing is non-existent, and the room itself cannot be used by any one for any thing.

This is unintentionally funny cuz game development is like this. Not joking. Game dev is messy: is all about reworks, renovations and scrapping parts of the game. When the public hears about it sporadically (Anthem, CP2077, Watch Dogs 1 are always the first examples that come to people's mind) they cast the devs in a bad light; That's why most game studios keep this stuff internally through NDAs. For example, go check out online about Bioshock Infinite's history of reworks, revisions and cut content; Originally the game was going to be completely different all together and EVEN feature multiplayer modes...

That's why we gotta respect and understand the Star Citizen devs (but not take away our constructive criticisms and feedback!!) for at least not hiding what is happening with feature development. Transparency comes with the cost that now every Dick and Jane will call them out on Standard Game Dev practices...

Iterating and revising is not the problem and not what I was getting at with this post. It’s actually commendable that specific teams are constantly improving and refining systems in their scope.

The point I was trying to make was that the core tech is absolutely absent. It’s not that it’s being revised or updated so much as it’s completely missing.

They spend so much time and effort not only developing these abstract systems, but actually marketing them with the social facing parts of the company like star citizen live, ISC and the news letters… BUT ITS ALL COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT without the core tech; without the netcode — without the plumbing.

For god sakes, SPARE ME the latest “gameplay” pass and give me a workable client/server architecture that can actually handle the poo poo you’ve been trying to do for the past 5 years. Please.

SoonTM. Yeah I just haven’t played in a while. Every time I play and see some new graphical change or pretty little part addition on something I just get frustrated knowing that the money spent on all these artists could’ve been spent on developers to improve the servers. I love to look at my shiny space game but it’s frustrating when I can sometimes can’t even play it

the game has been getting worst and worst with new patches, They speak about how they want to tweak their game and the dogfight but the game is way too bad for that, it's barely playable, and as soon as fire and effect are going down it s a desync fest. Making tedious bugged features that add zero fun to already dead gameplay and calling it simulation doesn't make it into a good or fun game. I don't believe server meshing will change anything. First atm the server is only handling a very limited number of players, way less than you would expect to be in a single chunk anyway. I think the problem is how they deal with animation and the amount that they want to use,...

:smuggo: posted:

Welcome to alpha

And it seems that "ED refugee" posts stopped for now. I guess Turbulent's astroturfing campaign ended.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 4, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: Probably going to get downvoted for showing this, but the desync in 3.13.1 and 3.14 really makes the game unplayable... You could be dodging every single shot and it doesn't matter because your opponent sees you as comepletely still. I understand that server meshing is coming soon, but this is baddd

https://v.redd.it/7pakuley75f71/DASH_480.mp4

I'm the target name doing 720° at 0:18 :lol:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dwesa posted:

And it seems that "ED refugee" posts stopped for now. I guess Turbulent's astroturfing campaign ended.

You have to try and find the comedy in these responses otherwise it ends up being really annoying to read the same stuff for years on end.

Game dev is not like this as a standard. Like people are not pointing to Anthem, Cyberpunk, and Watch Dogs as examples of how to do development properly.
And yeah, scrapping and remaking over and over often leads to a bad game, but Anthem was fully functional upon release. It was mostly uninteresting and plagued with bad decisions but it worked just fine.

And by god, people still just poo poo out 'alpha' like it excuses anything lol. I know the usage of terms is highly subjective but something in alpha should be mostly functional but missing a lot of art and user friendliness.
With how the state of the game is being described it shouldn't even be in player's hands. You cannot test something for gameplay fun or bugs if it's non-functioning. It's pointless.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I haven’t checked in on this thread in a while but it warms my heart to see the words “server meshing is coming soon”.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

tuo posted:

Cat Stranding looking good

Now I want a death stranding mod that replaces BB with a cat. That'd actually be amazing.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
My cake mix is an alpha. Try it out. See if you can imagine the toppings. I'm sure it will rise in the oven. When I get an oven.

What's that? You're not interested in the cake mix? Well clearly you don't know that this is the best cake ever. You rube. You utter buffoon.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Fidelitious posted:

You have to try and find the comedy in these responses otherwise it ends up being really annoying to read the same stuff for years on end.
time game development is a flat circle

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

JackSplater posted:

Now I want a death stranding mod that replaces BB with a cat. That'd actually be amazing.

I want a mod that replaces Sam with the giant baby from Spirited Away and puts Sam inside the pod.

Guess we’ll never get any of that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fidelitious posted:

Game dev is not like this as a standard. Like people are not pointing to Anthem, Cyberpunk, and Watch Dogs as examples of how to do development properly.
And yeah, scrapping and remaking over and over often leads to a bad game, but Anthem was fully functional upon release. It was mostly uninteresting and plagued with bad decisions but it worked just fine.

And by god, people still just poo poo out 'alpha' like it excuses anything lol. I know the usage of terms is highly subjective but something in alpha should be mostly functional but missing a lot of art and user friendliness.
With how the state of the game is being described it shouldn't even be in player's hands. You cannot test something for gameplay fun or bugs if it's non-functioning. It's pointless.

Well, apart from two very significant bugs in the scaling code Anthem was functional. Weapon damage always scaled to you regardless of wlvl, so the slight newbie boost your starter weapon got actually made it the best weapon in the game. Accessories were always several ilvls behind the rest of the gear that would drop, and so much was tied just to average ilvl that it was never worth it to actually equip them for bonuses, because an empty slot didn't figure into average ilvl calculations.

When you should not loot half the drops in a looter shooter, that's kind of bad.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Glazius posted:

Well, apart from two very significant bugs in the scaling code Anthem was functional. Weapon damage always scaled to you regardless of wlvl, so the slight newbie boost your starter weapon got actually made it the best weapon in the game. Accessories were always several ilvls behind the rest of the gear that would drop, and so much was tied just to average ilvl that it was never worth it to actually equip them for bonuses, because an empty slot didn't figure into average ilvl calculations.

When you should not loot half the drops in a looter shooter, that's kind of bad.

You know, I knew Anthem was bad, but that is loving hilarious. I guess they really did refuse to look at other looter shooters during development and just made stupid poo poo up.

On the other hand, Star Citizen is now starting to make loot tables in year 10, which consists stuff you can buy in their store. So there's bad, and then there's very bad.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

L. Ron Hoover posted:

On the other hand, Star Citizen is now starting to make loot tables in year 10, which consists stuff you can buy in their store. So there's bad, and then there's very bad.

Obviously loot tables are only a temporary solution. In reality, all “loot” is going to have a history, and be traceable back to the player or NPC owned factory that created it. Storage chests and boxes around settlements will be filled by NPCs stockpiling goods to complete dreams of being store owners, arms dealers, or just back woods farmers.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
When someone says "It's alpha" does anyone ever counter with the point that it still being an alpha at this point in development insane?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So what happened to that German magazine that had articles about star citizen? are they still publishing those? is anybody at all talking about the game outside reddit and this lovely thread?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Lammasu posted:

When someone says "It's alpha" does anyone ever counter with the point that it still being an alpha at this point in development insane?

I think defense to that is that "even in alpha it has more content (or something, or is just better) than all AAA games combined, totally worth my $27,000"

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

So what happened to that German magazine that had articles about star citizen? are they still publishing those? is anybody at all talking about the game outside reddit and this lovely thread?

Ja bestimmt. Oder besser gesacht nein.

Eh, who knows?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

They are still doing requirement analysis and software design so it's not even alpha. Alpha is the first stage of software testing which necessitates the software to be in a state where meaningful testing can be conducted.

Performing tests on a MMO without a) A multiplayer networking architecture and b) persistence for the in-game objects is useless since those two things, if ever implemented, will render any previous testing basically meaningless.

It's a pre-alpha after almost a decade.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

commando in tophat posted:

I think defense to that is that "even in alpha it has more content (or something, or is just better) than all AAA games combined, totally worth my $27,000"

Yeah, they usually go with that, and also some version of "CIG is doing things that have never been done before, we all knew they would need to invent new technologies to create a game of this unprecedented ambition, of course it's going to take a long time." Obviously, they do this without pointing out that most of what CIG is trying to do has in fact been done before ("but not in the same game, FUDster!") and that CIG has not actually managed to invent the new technologies needed to create a game of this unprecedented ambition ("the preliminary steps required to begin to develop the technology for real server meshing is definitely coming in 2020 2021 2022").

But really, they don't even care about whether their excuses are good. Ultimately, they like that Star Citizen is a perpetual development boondoggle. Being a superfan of the Best Game Ever is easier when you don't have to find the time to play it or worry about whether it's good, and being an important and respected voice in the Best Game Ever's community is easier when you can just let your credit card speak for you.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

trucutru posted:

Gamestar is still publishing positive articles and news about Star Citizen. Gamestar's articles are not positive enough for the local SC chapter though so they whine non-stop how the magazine is spreading FUD and lies. 18 out of 25 threads on the first page in the subforum "Discussions about Gamestar articles" are about Star Citizen.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Dwesa posted:

time game development is a flat circle

Imagine four features on a cliff. Say a direct copy of the feature nearest the cliff is implemented and takes the place of the first feature. The formerly first feature becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth needs to be reimplemented in the next patch.

Game development works the same way

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Plank Walker posted:

Imagine four features on a cliff. Say a direct copy of the feature nearest the cliff is implemented and takes the place of the first feature. The formerly first feature becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth needs to be reimplemented in the next patch.

Game development works the same way

The Four Noble Truths of Crobear development?

What is the sound of one grabby hand clapping?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah the truth is that SC isn't yet in alpha, its in mockup.

One giant $500M mockup. Released to players because they're the investors of this game. But pretending a mock is a finished title is lmao.

SC hasn't even hit MVP status yet, so definitely not alpha.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If they release into beta then people will start actually reviewing the game on its merits and without tons of qualifiers. From this I divine that it will never release into beta

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Play posted:

If they release into beta then people will start actually reviewing the game on its merits and without tons of qualifiers. From this I divine that it will never release into beta

The reason it has not changed "stage" out of "alpha" yet is, I am pretty sure, because they have also realised that this is an actual thing that will happen.

Many wiser than me have already said previously, that release is the one thing guaranteed to finally kill SC dead. If they release then the money will dry up. They can never release, or at least not until Crobbler has enough in the bank to cover his coke habit, and is ready to jack it in to pretend he is a director again :v:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

They can't even get to a 4.0 patch.

They are hosed and Chris Roberts is a scummy oval office.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the truth is that SC isn't yet in alpha, its in mockup.

One giant $500M mockup. Released to players because they're the investors of this game. But pretending a mock is a finished title is lmao.

SC hasn't even hit MVP status yet, so definitely not alpha.

the latest sq42 update talks about all the new mocap they are getting done. And how they are finally using track view for stuff lol

Seriously I'd clock sq42 at 4 years out at the minimum

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sammus posted:

Obviously loot tables are only a temporary solution. In reality, all “loot” is going to have a history, and be traceable back to the player or NPC owned factory that created it. Storage chests and boxes around settlements will be filled by NPCs stockpiling goods to complete dreams of being store owners, arms dealers, or just back woods farmers.

Some day you'll be collecting wine glasses left behind by the elite to fuel your recycling facility.

Every piece of garbage you pick up will play a small video in the hud on the screen that shows the full life of that garbage and how it was to be ultimately thrown away.

Each clip ends with a purchase button so if you press A you are immediately charged for a new version of it and thanked as an Aztec God of Renewal as you work up through the Aztec rank culture of purchases.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

the latest sq42 update talks about all the new mocap they are getting done. And how they are finally using track view for stuff lol

Can't wait for the YouTube release.

Gonna rewatch the Pusher scene where she calls you a piece of loser poo poo while snuggling up to whoever Gary Oldmans character is and saying "remember me for you next movie, Gary! Don't include that in the video game you pube-filled fucks."

It's the kind of 4th wall breaking Rick and Morty I've come to love.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Best drat space game ever! BTW the space combat doesn't work, at all, and it's been getting worse since the start"

a redditor said posted:

Or, you know, it's a pre-alpha product, and you're here to test it.

Yes, 3.14 is pre-alpha, CIG even calls it such. They're looking for de-sync gameplay footage to knock this problem down, so if you're not willing to test, then by all means uninstall.

This is a bullshit excuse when players have literally paid hundreds to thousands of dollars to play SC. For that price, even as an early access game, you should expect core game systems to function.

Also server meshing, which will not fix this problem, has been "coming soon" for literal years.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 5, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol I that one leak turns out to be true and they had to do pick up mocap and new va for pusher AND they had to remocap the remocap she insisted on doing for other actors

That's a solid lol when that comes to pass

"Special Thanks: Sandi Gardiner Roberts"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Four Noble Truths of Crobear development?

What is the sound of one grabby hand clapping?

How many angels can dance on a debit PIN

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

lol I that one leak turns out to be true and they had to do pick up mocap and new va for pusher AND they had to remocap the remocap she insisted on doing for other actors

That's a solid lol when that comes to pass

"Special Thanks: Sandi Gardiner Roberts"

My immersion is going to be ruined if I'm not being insulted by the mocapped Sandi. I wanted to experience her wooden acting skills in full 3D video game mode.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Sometimes spectrum can bring laughs..

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheAgent posted:

What's track view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slashtom posted:

Sometimes spectrum can bring laughs..

SC's hosed (Workaround: Don't launch SC)