Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, new civvie, just as i finish watching his catalogue :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4gV0_XKEY

gonna be honest, i'd always kinda written off the alice series as just next level 'ow the edge', so it's kinda interesting seeing that it's not a terrible game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Archer666 posted:

Either sell toys or try to be the new TMNT

You're repeating yourself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grondoth posted:

Todd has a couple really insightful takes here, from pointing out that Lewis talking himself up as WILLING TO TAKE A BULLET FOR FREEDOM just shows how he never got over that his dad talked him out of joining the military just so he could show his bullies he was tough to how the way the guy writes songs is to spill out all the darkest poo poo he has in him so he ends up exposing his petty bitterness and anger over good things happening. I also really liked the partisan divide comment cause goddamn is it super clear in this era of resurgent social democracy who is trying and who is not.

Lol.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

gonna be honest, i'd always kinda written off the alice series as just next level 'ow the edge', so it's kinda interesting seeing that it's not a terrible game

Alice was one of the first real games I bought after my parents got a computer that could run more than Doom. I remember my middle school self loving everything about it, although I don't remember actually beating it as a kid. I'm happy to see Civvie giving this game some attention

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Hel posted:

I thought the job description was to to provide insightful critique, interesting commentary or highlight important things.
We don't think he actually laid on the floor for days, we are actually complaining about the super fake over exaggeration as a "stylistic" choice. Sure, maybe my comparison to pewdiepie was a bit mean, but this really is the same playbook as the generic horror scarecam let's plays of the last decade. Point out something(real or imaginary) and then act like it's the end of the world.

When the video there were several people was first posted who were taking the existential freakout poo poo at face value and quipping he needed medication.

Hel posted:

It really feels to me like you( and some others in the thread) think we( the non SEW likers) believe that SEW should just stop making his videos or something, or that it's harmful to the media landscape or some poo poo, no it really is just he makes a thing that we don't like, and so we try to look for alternatives that still hit's the same points of interest.

It's really more that it's starting to border on weird obsessiveness that people bringing up how much they don't like SEW unprompted two weeks after the thread has moved on from talking about his most recent video, while posting a link to something that has nothing to do with SEW. Or spending multiple posts talking about how constantly talking about how you don't like SEW regardless of its relevance to the thread is some sort of integral human right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Since this thread is kicking my nostalgia bone, I'm surprised nobody decided to reboot the Pirates of Dark Water as a Netflix show or something like that. For a kids tv-show, it has a surprising amount of lore and a fairly simple and easy-to-expand on plot. If people can make a new She-Ra and He-Man with fleshed out characters and stuff, this feels like a no-brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVm2-UTfLks

the big one im surprised hasn't been revived for new original streaming episodes is Gargoyles, I feel like it would get a lot of traction on disney+. the one thing I can think of that probably wouldnt go over so well is its uncritical reverence for not even just police but the NYPD specifically.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

holy poo poo this song owns

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YouTube recommendations then wanted to know if I wanted to watch the opening of Mummies Alive! and I guess I did because I watched it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've been playing this show's SNES tie-in game and it's genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

JordanKai posted:

I've been playing this show's SNES tie-in game and it's genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played.

BioEnchanted, is that you?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's a new month, dears, let's post a Superhero Movie Discourse Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_XZE_8FmPQ

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This bozo's gonna look real silly when the Ayer cut comes out!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

From the sounds of it, any cut existing was an against-the-odds achievement.

Not that it excuses the movie being poo poo-awful.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i will never not be sad that ayer turned out to be a genuine hack chode bro when literally all of the movies he directed before suicide squad seemed to be hyper critical of toxic masculinity

and also good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a new month, dears, let's post a Superhero Movie Discourse Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_XZE_8FmPQ

No way Suicide Squad is anywhere near the worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

No way Suicide Squad is anywhere near the worst.

its not, the video is part of a series called The Worst Superhero Movie Ever where he watches the lowest rated superhero movies on Rotten Tomatoes and then gives them his own rating at the end

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gwen posted:

i will never not be sad that ayer turned out to be a genuine hack chode bro when literally all of the movies he directed before suicide squad seemed to be hyper critical of toxic masculinity

and also good

Did something big and specific happen, or did people just finally notice his twitter activity?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

a production company he works with or partially owns is called trigger warning entertainment so

End of Watch showed lovely cops trying to be big masculine heroes and seeing where that gets them and Fury is just a drat good war movie (i hear they did some damage to the tanks they got during production but tbh I don't particularly care if the paint job of a death machine got scratched)

Gwen fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 4, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gwen posted:

a production company he works with or partially owns is called trigger warning entertainment so

End of Watch showed lovely cops trying to be big masculine heroes and seeing where that gets them and Fury is just a drat good war movie (i hear they did some damage to the tanks they got during production but tbh I don't particularly care if the paint job of a death machine got scratched)

lmao if you thought the cops weren't supposed to come across as extremely cool and badass in End of Watch

like literally every movie david ayer has made other than fury and suicide squad is about how cool and strong cops are

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i mean they're giant rear end in a top hat bigoted bullies who escalate on a hair trigger and go against orders to try to bust a drug ring and get completely trounced leading to one of them dying and the other very clearly not feeling like a big hero about it.

Sure i don't give Ayer the benefit of the doubt now but you can see how the outcome and performances did not sell it as a big powerful pig power fantasy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alaois posted:

its not, the video is part of a series called The Worst Superhero Movie Ever where he watches the lowest rated superhero movies on Rotten Tomatoes and then gives them his own rating at the end

Oh that actually sounds interesting.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Gwen posted:

and also good

Ayer is a chud??? gently caress :( Alltho that's news to me. Maybe I missed something but like, he has his pronouns in his bio on Twitter and he retweets vaguely progressive stuff.
He does retweet some o7 teh troops poo poo a bit but besides that, I don't see anything chuddy.
But maybe I have so many chuds blocked that any chuds he does retweet I just can't see em.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jamie Faith posted:

Ayer is a chud??? gently caress :( Alltho that's news to me. Maybe I missed something but like, he has his pronouns in his bio on Twitter and he retweets vaguely progressive stuff.
He does retweet some o7 teh troops poo poo a bit but besides that, I don't see anything chuddy.
But maybe I have so many chuds blocked that any chuds he does retweet I just can't see em.

Every DC movie is a director is a chud*

*Excluding James Gunn as he directed a Marvel movie, making him a centrist

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

*barrels into thread*

zack snyder!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gwen posted:

i mean they're giant rear end in a top hat bigoted bullies who escalate on a hair trigger and go against orders to try to bust a drug ring and get completely trounced leading to one of them dying and the other very clearly not feeling like a big hero about it.

Sure i don't give Ayer the benefit of the doubt now but you can see how the outcome and performances did not sell it as a big powerful pig power fantasy.

I think it kind of falls into the same tier of Copaganda as The Shield does, where yes we all agree these dirty cops are bad... but boy is it a dirty world out there.... maybe sometimes it's necessary to get things done?

Skip Intro did a good two part video on the strengths and weaknesses of The Shield that hits on this stuff better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlpHGi7wUu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_1Yi0026A

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

yeah Skip Intro's stuff on the Shield is probably the best part of the series besides Blue Bloods.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thinking cops are good is a very Hollywood liberal opinion to have.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Roth posted:

James Cameron at a known exception. The baddie in T2 being a policeman is no coincidence, and the latest Terminator has a whole border facility get chopped up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

edge is often fun, cringe is fake, free your mind

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Roth posted:

or even worse CIA good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pretty sure every cop in Bright other than Will Smith and Orc Cop is corrupt.

Ayer's a pretty weird guy but I wouldn't say he's a chud.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gwen posted:

He worked with a company whose name at the time was almost certainly just taken as Landis being edgy. Now whether or not he knew at the time that Landis was a rapist and abuser isn't really something I can find evidence of one way or another, but dumb names for companies that implode was well within the expected behavior of Landis at the time. I don't think it's indicative of any deeper politics though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's been nice to see the Alice games getting revisited (I think gman and Grimbeard both did videos on them relatively recently too). When the first one came out, EA sent the store I worked at statues of both Alice and the Cheshire Cat. When we finally took them out of the window display, we spent a few months hiding them places to scare the poo poo out of each other.

The store used two floors of an old six floor department store, and the upper floors were just sat unused so we'd dump stuff there we might need at some point in the future. Opening the door of an old style freight lift (the kind with manual concertina doors) to find a grinning nightmare cat right in front of you never got old.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

unfortunately I was following Landis at the time and beyond selling the original script he was very vocal about being shut out of the production very early on once Bright came out. However he could've been lying to save face and I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Did some digging and Ayer is the only person, besides a real estate agent, publically associated with the company so

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

josh04 posted:

Pretty sure every cop in Bright other than Will Smith and Orc Cop is corrupt.

Ayer's a pretty weird guy but I wouldn't say he's a chud.

Yeah but making the Orc Cop "one of the good ones" when literally all other orcs are presented as thugs and gangbangers was like grade A chud bait.

"Fairy Lives Don't Matter" too, I don't know how else to read that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gwen posted:

unfortunately I was following Landis at the time and beyond selling the original script he was very vocal about being shut out of the production very early on once Bright came out. However he could've been lying to save face and I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Did some digging and Ayer is the only person, besides a real estate agent, publically associated with the company so

It seems to be a thing with Max Landis that he gets completely iced out of films he wrote and their sequels which may or may not ever materialize as soon as he delivers a finished script for some reason... its because he's an rear end in a top hat and a rapist!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s because they’re idiots who latch on to the weirdest poo poo.

I’ll wait for Ayer to be a racist and a bad person publicly before I even decide to think of a take lol

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i'm willing to entertain the possibility the guy who signed off or insisted on the total reworking of a boring buddy cop but fantasy screenplay into a gritty edgelord "racially charged" and otherwise thematically barren buddy cop movie might have some confused notions about race and police violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alright