Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Hopper posted:

It is usually around 20 degrees in Germany when I do my bread overnight. It was about 22 here in Sweden. At home the sourdough didn't do much but it fluffed up the rye flour a little overnight and made it smelled soudoughy. Here it did nothing, not even a sour smell. On neither of the 3 tries. It's really odd.

Maybe your dried starter needs a kickstart. I would definitely try to aim for ~28°C when feeding/refreshing to get good yeast and lactic acid activity and then do 2-3 feeds in a row.
You can also try different flour, not all flours are created equally when it comes to sourdough activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Did some quick cast-iron focaccia:

This looks delicious. Can you share the recipe?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Could be chemicals in the water inhibiting wild yeast. Some places use more chloro aninnes than others.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Murgos posted:

This looks delicious. Can you share the recipe?

First time making it, I used the minimum times given for each section. Added two tablespoons of flour (also my first time using a food processor to mix a dough). Added a teaspoon of granulated garlic to the dough. I wanted to do an "everything bagel" topping, but I only had granulated garlic and onion powders, not the dehydrated minced stuff.

https://www.thekitchn.com/focaccia-recipe-261454

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This has happened to me the last several sourdough loaves I've done. Despite prepping the banneton heavily with rice flour, it sticks and tears when I pull it from the fridge to stick in the cast iron, compromising the tension I built in shaping.

I'm wondering if it's just the high humidity and I need to step down my hydration some or if I need to maybe clean the banneton itself more?

This loaf actually turned out OK despite the tearing from getting it out of the banneton, but I think the rise would have been better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I can barely see any loose flower. Personally I use way more to make sure the bread doesn't stick.
Do you always use that little?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Every time I try to make something like this pizza dough recipe the dough always tears/falls apart horribly as I’m trying to stretch it out. What’s my problem? I feel like maybe it’s over ferm/proofing and the gluten is breaking down or something?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 3, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fourwood posted:

Every time I try to make something like this pizza dough recipe the dough always tears/falls apart horribly as I’m trying to stretch it out. What’s my problem? I feel like maybe it’s over ferm/proofing and the gluten is breaking down or something?

Well since I've got the time, I made a boule using unbleached AP with the same ingredients. I'll see what happens tomorrow. How long did you let yours sit, and did it dry out anywhere?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hopper posted:

I can barely see any loose flower. Personally I use way more to make sure the bread doesn't stick.
Do you always use that little?

I don't use a ton, no, or at least not enough that you'd see much still in the banneton after the dough was in the fridge overnight. It isn't usually a problem.

Upon reflection, I realized part of the problem might have been my rice flour. I have a little shaker I use for it and it tends to filter out the larger grains until it gets close to empty, at which point it becomes mostly larger grains which don't seem to take care of the moisture as well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

fourwood posted:

It's possible that it's overproofed, but I wonder how your stretch & folds are going.

I do no-knead pizza dough, and at the end of the bulk ferment I do a lot of stretching and folding until the gluten strands are organized enough to stop tearing during the process. The dough will go from gloopy to springy, and at that point should be strong enough to stretch out. Sometimes I have to stretch it about half as big as I want it, wait 10-15 minutes, and then go the rest of the way.

If it fights back or tears, that's a sign to let the gluten relax.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Mister Facetious posted:

Well since I've got the time, I made a boule using unbleached AP with the same ingredients. I'll see what happens tomorrow. How long did you let yours sit, and did it dry out anywhere?
Probably like 22-ish hours at room temp, compared to the 24 the recipe technically calls for, but it’s also… quite warm in my kitchen almost always. I might think about getting the fridge involved next time.

effika posted:

It's possible that it's overproofed, but I wonder how your stretch & folds are going.

I do no-knead pizza dough, and at the end of the bulk ferment I do a lot of stretching and folding until the gluten strands are organized enough to stop tearing during the process. The dough will go from gloopy to springy, and at that point should be strong enough to stretch out. Sometimes I have to stretch it about half as big as I want it, wait 10-15 minutes, and then go the rest of the way.

If it fights back or tears, that's a sign to let the gluten relax.
Gloopy to springy sounds exactly like what I need. I basically haven’t done much in the way of stretch and folds on this one, just one set sort of as a pre-shape after splitting the dough in half, which is basically all the recipe tells me to do. I’ll try to do a little more stretching and folding at the end of bulk next time, thanks.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Thanks, it's one of my best ones yet.

I bought the gluten flour from an online vegan shop, it's most commonly used to make seitan, some shops just call it seitan flour.

https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/hvedegluten/
https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/hvedegluten-storkoeb-glutenmel/

Get yourself some liquid aminos too, while you're at it. It's like a more umami and less salty version of soy sauce, good stuff.

https://nuttyvegan.dk/vare/liquid-aminos/

The juxtaposition of seitan/gluten flour and "gluten free!" products will always be funny to me.

I received my vegan supergluten!

I forgot to ask you how much to add? Do I just count it as 100% gluten and add so I hit desired gluten percentage numbers, or what?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I received my vegan supergluten!

I forgot to ask you how much to add? Do I just count it as 100% gluten and add so I hit desired gluten percentage numbers, or what?

It's 75g protein per 100g, so the math needs to account for that.

I just use this handy calculator: https://foodgeek.dk/en/vital-wheat-gluten-calculator/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That King Arthur pizza dough recipe, plus 2tsp. granulated garlic powder and 1tsp. granulated onion powder. 10 hour rise, plus a thirty minute second rise. Olive oil brushed all over. 20 minutes on the stone at 425:

So crispy and delicious

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 5, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I have achieved MAXIMUM CUBOID

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've got a recurring problem w/ my sourdoughs. For the second proof I use a wicker former, then transfer it to a dutch oven. And as soon as I transfer them, the dough starts to spread. It's a fairly generously proportioned oven, so I end up w/ frisbee-shaped loafs that are an inch-high at their tallest point. I tend to use a lot of rye, but I've tried a few times with all-wheat and it still happens.
Am I under-working it? I knead it once when putting everything together, then again an hour later when adding the salt. Or is it just too much water (about 250-300 ml of water for 520grams of flour)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The hydration level isn't too high, I would think. I think you're just not getting enough gluten formation.

Have you tried a windowpane test? If it's not there yet, it needs more time and/or kneading/stretch+fold.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Either that or you bulk ferment too long, which promotes acid development which breaks down the gluten.

What’s your schedule like? Try to cut down on the bulk ferment and report back.

I usually do a cold proof overnight, and if I wait until the next day (ie. 24 hours more) I also get flatness.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

bolind posted:

Either that or you bulk ferment too long, which promotes acid development which breaks down the gluten.

What’s your schedule like? Try to cut down on the bulk ferment and report back.

I usually do a cold proof overnight, and if I wait until the next day (ie. 24 hours more) I also get flatness.

I tend to finish kneading the salt in late in the evening and then leave it overnight, transferring it to the former in the morning and baking it at night, so about a day in all, and that's in Britain so the kitchen is pretty cold.
I have never managed to get the window-pane thing to work, it tears when I try. I'm also doing all of my stretching and folding in a 20-minute burst at the start, rather than throughout the day, so that's another thing I'll try changing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

I have achieved MAXIMUM CUBOID

Updated with crumb

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacap posted:

Updated with crumb

IMPRESSIVE!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Getting back to this:

Chad Sexington posted:

This has happened to me the last several sourdough loaves I've done. Despite prepping the banneton heavily with rice flour, it sticks and tears when I pull it from the fridge to stick in the cast iron, compromising the tension I built in shaping.

I've been having similar problems recently, but I haven't really been doing my regular daily driver. It's basically the same recipe but I've been using different flours, and that can have an effect on hydration. The first was einkorn flour, which made a batter. The second was pretty much 100% pumpernickel. In both cases, they both left behind a spare bit of dough on the banneton that I peeled up and put on top of the bread. It was like putting little dough yarmulkes on the bread.

I also prepared some Sonoran tortilla dough balls today using crappy store-bought flour versus my regular hipster Sonoran wheat. This dough is much more wet too.

Before really concluding anything, I need to compare against a typical recipe for any of this. My pizza as a contrast has been pretty normal and I haven't been stirring that up too much.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I stepped back the water from 350ml to about 320 and got more aggressive with the rice flour. Loaf came out of the banneton under its own power and I got really good oven spring. I think it was mostly the hydration though, I hadn't really adjusted for the high humidity.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
That looks really good! What recipe is it? For the bread cube and the post right above mine!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

redreader posted:

That looks really good! What recipe is it? For the bread cube and the post right above mine!

Here’s the cube: https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe/

There’s a calculator on the site to adjust for your pan size.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

redreader posted:

I've used this one since I started last year. She has really good step by step videos for the basic poo poo that other recipes aren't as good at explaining like shaping.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the posts, but also:

Aaarghhhh! Sourdough. I need to make a starter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Made more minecraft bread

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Was thinking of trying to do a loaf with an extended cold proof. I normally do it for around 12 hours but have seen people go as long as 36-48.

Would it make sense to reduce bulk time if I intend to cold proof longer, or will it make no difference as long as the loaf is held as a certain temperature?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I made my first rye bread

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I made my first rye bread

Man I want butter and liverwurst on toast now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I finally tried one of those bullshit pumpernickel recipes where it's mostly not rye and pumpernickel but more bread flour with coffee and chocolate. I hate to say that I liked it because it makes me feel like I'm a horrible person. I don't even have much else to say about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I finally tried one of those bullshit pumpernickel recipes where it's mostly not rye and pumpernickel but more bread flour with coffee and chocolate. I hate to say that I liked it because it makes me feel like I'm a horrible person. I don't even have much else to say about it.

I used to make commercial ryes at a lovely family owned bakery, and the Puratos™ Light Rye base always had a smell of cocoa powder to me.

The boxed dark Pumpernickel rye base (different producer) by contrast, always smelled of dirt. :-/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mister Facetious posted:

I used to make commercial ryes at a lovely family owned bakery, and the Puratos™ Light Rye base always had a smell of cocoa powder to me.

The boxed dark Pumpernickel rye base (different producer) by contrast, always smelled of dirt. :-/

If I'm looking at the right thing, then that base is much more legit:

https://www.puratos.com/blog/rye-bread

40 % of Wheat flour
60 % of Rye flour
70 % of Water
2,2 % of Salt
2 % of Yeast
2 % of Rustic Acti-Plus
3 % of Sapore Softgrain Multigrain
4,8 % of Sapore Aroldo (8 % on rye flour)

No literal coffee and chocolate unless there's a euphemism going on with their ingredients...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's very much your standard supermarket light rye bread (really good with caraway seeds added), it's just an observation that something in rye produces the same aroma.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was a child I thought I disliked rye bread but it was because all the rye I tasted had caraway, which I HATE

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

therattle posted:

When I was a child I thought I disliked rye bread but it was because all the rye I tasted had caraway, which I HATE

I love seeded rye, but unseeded and seeded rye are totally different things, flavor wise. Glad to have you on team rye!

:v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

I love seeded rye, but unseeded and seeded rye are totally different things, flavor wise. Glad to have you on team rye!

:v:

I never said I liked rye now….

(I do like rye but I don’t love it).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

therattle posted:

Ironically just finished a nice sourdough with 90g of light rye and caraway powder in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Caraway seeds are the best! Give me all the seeded rye, please!

Dacap posted:

Was thinking of trying to do a loaf with an extended cold proof. I normally do it for around 12 hours but have seen people go as long as 36-48.

Would it make sense to reduce bulk time if I intend to cold proof longer, or will it make no difference as long as the loaf is held as a certain temperature?

Nobody ever answered you, but the answer is "try and see what you like" as it'll work both ways. The colder it is the slower the yeast will work, and eventually they'll go so dormant they don't do much at all. I leave mine at room temperature anywhere from 3-14 hours depending on how much commercial yeast I'm using vs a sourdough, what my schedule's like, did I forget about it, how hot the house is that day, etc. Then it goes into the fridge until I can bake it. It all turns out a tasty loaf of bread, but if you're going for something specific try it a few ways and keep notes!

There doesn't seem to be much flavor development after about 2 days in the fridge, but you'll still have usable dough.