Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

Hinshaw is as actively evil as Kenney. There is no way someone with a scrap of human decency could keep their mouth shut through this. She is the bootlicker in her position. Nobody who would ever replace her could ever do any worse.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Like, maybe months and months ago I could see the argument that "well, she's doing the best she can to keep them from doing worse" but she keeps doing whatever the gently caress they want anyway without any pushback, so what's the difference? There is none. If anything, her staying in and acting as a mouthpiece is worse because she retains some credibility from when she wasn't a complete fuckup.

She is, full stop, not doing her job. If she gets thrown under the metaphorical bus, and I believe that's likely imminent at this point, she deserves it for having sold her soul and professional credibility to these heinous grifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Baronjutter posted:

Was on several full ferries this weekend in BC. They still have signs "recommending" masks inside the ships but maybe 5% of people were wearing masks, absolutely abysmal rates when its not an enforced rule. Most of the people I saw with masks were 20-somethings that don't have their 2nd dose yet. But for the boomers, everything's absolutely back to normal in their minds.

Are you sure you weren’t on one of those ghost boats that didn’t actually exist? :ghost: What an abysmal fuckup that was.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Baronjutter posted:

Was on several full ferries this weekend in BC. They still have signs "recommending" masks inside the ships but maybe 5% of people were wearing masks, absolutely abysmal rates when its not an enforced rule. Most of the people I saw with masks were 20-somethings that don't have their 2nd dose yet. But for the boomers, everything's absolutely back to normal in their minds.

My parents were travelling (for medical reasons, making it even more fun) and reported the same. If I ever have to go on the ferries anytime soon I'm hiding in my car. Unless they've fixed the Island Farms soft serve machine in the cafeteria... no, even then.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

It's actually pretty even among all classes with a slight edge given to the poor. The poor probably far outpace the rich in terms of use frequency, though.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

MikeSevigny posted:

My parents were travelling (for medical reasons, making it even more fun) and reported the same. If I ever have to go on the ferries anytime soon I'm hiding in my car. Unless they've fixed the Island Farms soft serve machine in the cafeteria... no, even then.

For anyone not familiar with BC Ferries, within recent memory Transport Canada restricted people from staying in their cars after the sinking of one of their vessels where two people died. After a temporary pause, this rule was reinstated during COVID, forcing people to mingle above deck.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pandemic-or-not-passengers-face-up-to-12-000-fine-for-staying-in-vehicles-on-bc-ferries-1.5214953

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

For anyone not familiar with BC Ferries, within recent memory Transport Canada restricted people from staying in their cars after the sinking of one of their vessels where two people died. After a temporary pause, this rule was reinstated during COVID, forcing people to mingle above deck.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pandemic-or-not-passengers-face-up-to-12-000-fine-for-staying-in-vehicles-on-bc-ferries-1.5214953

Yeah, as unlikely as it is, if a ferry starts to sink being in the car storage is the worst place to be. Extra bad if you are inside your car and the ship lists, cars slide together and then your doors are pinned shut. It's a sensible precaution.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
And I'm sure it clears out relatively quickly but the air quality can't be great on the car decks.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
My MLA posted that a lot of downtown Winnipeg businesses are deciding to keep their mask mandates in place, so at least not everybody has lost their goddamn minds over the simplest and easiest way to slow spread of Delta.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Willatron posted:

My MLA posted that a lot of downtown Winnipeg businesses are deciding to keep their mask mandates in place, so at least not everybody has lost their goddamn minds over the simplest and easiest way to slow spread of Delta.

just wait until Pallister and Kenney team up for some DeSantis-style edict to declare doing that illegal

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Willatron posted:

The problem with lifting the provincial mask mandate is the onus is completely on businesses to enforce the rule with very little fallback if someone gets difficult. I'm hope I'm wrong but Pallister just powered up the very vocal minority of anti-mask anti-vaxx people in this province and it's going to suck rear end.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Even just personally I'm loving boiling because I've followed every stupid rule and taken every precaution possible during this stupid pandemic and in the end the province still just bent to the will of the anti-mask crowd because Pallisters base is starting to hate him and they need to keep those 2-3% people in the province happy over everyone else. I was actually feeling good about going out to dine or sit inside with vaccinated people only but gently caress that now.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Even just personally I'm loving boiling because I've followed every stupid rule and taken every precaution possible during this stupid pandemic and in the end the province still just bent to the will of the anti-mask crowd because Pallisters base is starting to hate him and they need to keep those 2-3% people in the province happy over everyone else. I was actually feeling good about going out to dine or sit inside with vaccinated people only but gently caress that now.

Yeah I know, I went to the pub for the first time in over a year the Sunday before last, everybody inside was fully vaxxed, wore masks when they weren't seated. It felt good to be there. Don't know how long that'll last, because yeah, I commend the businesses that are going to try and keep the mask mandates in place of their own accord but just know some prick is going to kick up a massive poo poo storm some place and post it all over social media to start poo poo. Probably those fucks over at WAM.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'm still steaming about Pallister's announcement yesterday even though I strongly suspected he would do away with the mask mandate - it's just beyond stupid to do this and just emboldens the minority of useless piece of poo poo CHUDs to act like even bigger morons.

Like on some level, I understand the idea behind 'Open er up!" even if it's objectively wrong; but people acting like having a piece of cloth on their face is just some unreasonable burden are just complete loving idiots. It's really depressing to think about honestly.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was perfectly fine with opening everything up - our vaccination rates are quite high in Winnipeg but yeah removing the mask mandate is infuriating. They loving work.

Not even death spooks these people so I am all out of ideas.

gently caress the right wing. gently caress social media. gently caress Trump for emboldening these pieces of poo poo. gently caress everyone.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

I was actually feeling good about going out to dine or sit inside with vaccinated people only but gently caress that now.

I've been out at restaurants again and was really looking forward to going to a movie but now that there's no mask mandate and you can't really know if you're not watching a movie with plague rats: no chance.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When I've been driving around in downtown Toronto in the evening, the patios and sidewalks are packed with no distancing and almost no one is wearing a mask. I'd say maybe 25% of servers are wearing masks.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah, as unlikely as it is, if a ferry starts to sink being in the car storage is the worst place to be. Extra bad if you are inside your car and the ship lists, cars slide together and then your doors are pinned shut. It's a sensible precaution.

The design compromises made to make a roll-on roll-off ferry functional have sunk ferries around the world. It will never not be funny to me that one of these was the 1980s sinking of the Channel ferry "Herald of Free Enterprise" killing 193 people. Such a perfect allegory for unfettered Thatcherism.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

When I've been driving around in downtown Toronto in the evening, the patios and sidewalks are packed with no distancing and almost no one is wearing a mask. I'd say maybe 25% of servers are wearing masks.

Not for much longer. Delta is here, cases are about to go through the roof, and lockdowns and curfews will be back in force by Labour Day - and that’s before the vaccine-evading Lambda variant shows up to pick off those of us who got our shots.

Part of me thinks we should just let people do what they want for the next few weeks - with more contagious and deadly variants showing up every few weeks, this might be the last time we’ll be able to go out to eat or visit someone else’s house. The future looks so, so very bleak and hopeless - might as well let people be happy for a couple more days.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cases have been low for most of Saskatchewan since we got rid of all public health orders. There have been some outbreaks in Northern communities though, and hospitalization have recently risen as well. The government isn’t releasing as much data now and as often either so it’s going to be very reactionary if there are more outbreaks. There’s a sold out Rider game in Regina on Friday so that will be the big barometer for how bad it is here.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

Not for much longer. Delta is here, cases are about to go through the roof, and lockdowns and curfews will be back in force by Labour Day - and that’s before the vaccine-evading Lambda variant shows up to pick off those of us who got our shots.

Part of me thinks we should just let people do what they want for the next few weeks - with more contagious and deadly variants showing up every few weeks, this might be the last time we’ll be able to go out to eat or visit someone else’s house. The future looks so, so very bleak and hopeless - might as well let people be happy for a couple more days.

I don’t know about that. While I know we are beginning our fourth wave, I think we’ve seen our last lockdown.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I don’t know about that. While I know we are beginning our fourth wave, I think we’ve seen our last lockdown.

Yeah I could see some restrictions going in but nothing like a full lockdown.

Especially given they're probably looking really closely at the example of the UK where despite the huge case spike, hospitalizations and deaths were a fraction of the previous wave (and with cases seemingly dropping on their own again despite restrictions being dropped). And that's with a lower vaccination rate/basically no 12-18s being vaccinated. If the hospitalization and death rate remains lower I can't see them doing anything close to a full lockdown. Probably extending masking and maybe going back to something like Ontario Stage 2.

The vaccines are clearly doing their job but yeah, the fall is going to be a real bad time to be unvaccinated.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Its been like that for 2 months now, Delta is already the dominant strain and cases are staying at the 1-2 per 100,000 rate daily. I really don't think there's any reason for doom and gloom. Vaccination rates are very high in Toronto, maybe the highest in the world, and indoor masking is still our public policy.

This is as good as its going to get, at least until kids under 12 start getting vaxxed, and it seems to be working.

Fwiw I've been to a bunch of patios over the last month and i have yet to see a single unmasked server.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had to read up on Lambda.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/lambda-variant-delta-vaccine-resistance-51628096302

quote:

Lambda has come to the world’s attention because it seems to be both more infectious than the original strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and more resistant to current interventions. A study posted July 28 on the website bioRxiv by University of Tokyo researchers reported that Lambda variants have alterations in the virus’s surface spikes that increase their attraction to the entry channels of our cells, while also being harder to recognize by antibodies targeting the spikes of the original virus.

The Tokyo study hasn’t yet been peer-reviewed, but it suggests that antibodies generated by the vaccine from Pfizer (ticker: PFE) and BioNTech (BNTX) found it almost 1.5 times harder to neutralize Lambda variants than the original virus.

But that doesn’t leave the vaccinated without protection against Lambda. A July 3 study published on the same website by researchers at New York University Medical School tested the variant with antibodies from both the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and the vaccine from Moderna (MRNA). Compared with the original virus strain, the NYU team found that Lambda was about 3-times more resistant to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine antibodies, and 2.3-times resistant to Moderna-generated antibodies. Lambda was also slightly more resistant to the antibodies contained in the cocktail treatment from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN).

Still, Regeneron’s cocktail was able to neutralize Lambda variants well, said the NYU scientists. They also concluded that the average levels of antibodies generated by either the Moderna or the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are more than enough to protect against Lambda.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Even in the case of vaccine breakthroughs, which by no means will happen with everyone, vaccines still show a pronounced effect on immune response:

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1422815304082620418

With delta (and yes Lambda, though Lambda isn't any worse than Delta) and children 12 and under unvaccinated, yes there will likely be a surge. But for fucks sake, don't go around saying that the existence of vaccine breakthroughs makes the vaccines ineffective. Keep being careful, but these vaccines are incredibly effective even against variants, and they are the single most important thing to do right now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm sorry, but that isn't conducive to doomposting about COVID being the end of the world.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

St. Dogbert posted:

you post this poo poo every couple of weeks in multiple threads. In case anyone doesn't know this guy basically travels around catastrophising and ending every post with a variation of 'the future is bleak and hopeless'. I don't know whats worse, that this is someone that's been deeply unwell for over a year or the possibility that they're getting off on this.

As the UK seems to be ahead of a lot of places in terms of the delta variant I can tell you how it'll go: cases will skyrocket, hospitals will start filling up again but not to breaking point, hospital staff are probably gonna get stressed, new cases will start to fall but slowly. For better or worse most people are risking illness to 'eat' and 'visit someone else's house'. Life is going on.

You're right that the 'normal' is never coming back but the rest is dumb melodrama.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 4, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Its been like that for 2 months now, Delta is already the dominant strain and cases are staying at the 1-2 per 100,000 rate daily. I really don't think there's any reason for doom and gloom. Vaccination rates are very high in Toronto, maybe the highest in the world, and indoor masking is still our public policy.

This is as good as its going to get, at least until kids under 12 start getting vaxxed, and it seems to be working.

Fwiw I've been to a bunch of patios over the last month and i have yet to see a single unmasked server.

Yeah I haven’t seen any unmasked servers in downtown Toronto. It’s true that no one cares about distancing/wearing masks outside though, but I feel like we already litigated that during summer 2020 and the consensus was that it’s not a big deal.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yeah, to be productive instead of doomposting: one issue I can see is that maybe we see an outbreak in schools which necessitates K-5 remote learning which is going to be a huge hassle on parents who won't be locked down from work but will be expected to have kids at home during the day. Not sure how that will really work.

Hopefully we get approval to vaccinate children under 12 though and this becomes less of an issue.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think most people in Toronto would support mandatory vaccination before another lockdown if schools end up being a problem.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Starks posted:

I think most people in Toronto would support mandatory vaccination before another lockdown if schools end up being a problem.

I support vaccination by gunpoint already

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So hinshaw is deflecting criticism of the easing of Covid measures by releasing an Op Ed about the cost of not dealing with other ongoing medical dangers like the opioid crisis.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh god, we might actually reach Ligma variant at this rate.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Oh god, we might actually reach Ligma variant at this rate.

What's Ligma?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ZShakespeare posted:

What's Ligma?

:maga:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

So hinshaw is deflecting criticism of the easing of Covid measures by releasing an Op Ed about the cost of not dealing with other ongoing medical dangers like the opioid crisis.

"The organization I lead is completely and utterly loving unable to walk and chew gum at the same time" is not the strong argument she seems to think it is. Why is the COVID response harming the ability of AHS to respond to opioid issues and syphilis? She just sort of shits these things out as if they're meant to be obvious.

Also, if you're having trouble dealing with other health crises as it is, how is that going to get any better with higher COVID spread (and even with vaccinations, some fraction will need hospital and ICU treatment) and fewer restrictions? It makes no sense!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah yes, that will make it easier to pursue the ongoing strategy of "do nothing and hope it goes away"

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1423056836853436425

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I’m no fancy lawyer but I don’t remember a charter right to be an educational worker.

If there is one, I assume pedophiles will be thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

How does she suck so bad.

Trudeau is in Montreal tomorrow with Hussen and members of Legault's cabinet, notably the transport minister. They're withholding the actual venue for the announcement until the morning and the organizers want any media planning to go to register before 7 am.

It's weird enough to announce an appearance without a venue but to then also insist on an early morning registration deadline makes it clear to me that they want to limit who actually gets into the room with Trudeau. Add the presence of legault and the transport minister to on top of that and the impending strike by the border patrol union and I have a feeling they're going to make a vaccine passport announcement and they're bracing for a lot of pissed off media members.