Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Two silly questions:

I've listened to Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations by Robert Plant and found them both... okay. Is there a definitive great solo album by him I should listen to or should I quit while I'm ahead?

Question two is Duran Duran. I've heard the A View to a Kill song a bunch and know everyone talks up Rio but I haven't gotten to it. Where should I go if I'm planning on learning/studying John Taylor's bass lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Two silly questions:

I've listened to Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations by Robert Plant and found them both... okay. Is there a definitive great solo album by him I should listen to or should I quit while I'm ahead?

It might be raising sand, if that counts. Otherwise, not really. There were good songs but no great albums.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

It might be raising sand, if that counts. Otherwise, not really. There were good songs but no great albums.

Yeah I got that feeling when I set the player to random and a couple popped up again between other artists and I was all oh this one was one of the nicer ones, a bit overly long though. I'll give raising sand a shot though, thanks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rush?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Start with Moving Pictures. It's widely regarded not only as their best album, but one of the greatest albums of all time. It includes two of their most recognizable songs in Tom Sawyer and Limelight, but every track on it is excellent.

After that, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want more prog-oriented stuff, go toward albums like 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres. If you want more of the shorter stuff, go to Permanent Waves (The album just before Moving Pictures) and then go into the 80s stuff that can be very dominated by synthesizers at times.

hexwren's effort post from a few years ago gives a good summary of things:

hexwren posted:

This effortpost is incredibly unnecessary.

Both of the suggestions thus far will provide you with good music.

I sorta split the difference as a teenager---I did first get Moving Pictures, but then next moved to the then-brand-new live record Different Stages. The production is pretty heavily 90s (read: loud), but with two discs of material from several concerts in the 90s and a third disc recorded at a single mid-seventies show, it gives a pretty wide taste of what they got up to during their first three decades, song-wise.

I could definitely do a paragraph or more, easy, on all their records because I'm a dumb nerd, but I'll try not to do that. Here's some notes:

Rush albums tend to come in threes, in my opinion. For the most part. For the band, they come in fours, with a live album after every four (except in the 00s where there's a live disc for every tour).

The First Three Albums: Rush, Fly By Night and Caress of Steel are...well, they have their moments. Not all of those moments are good ones. They didn't even settle into their permanent lineup until the second of those (which is why there's no science fiction on the first record.) However, there's some gems in the rough, especially Beneath, Between & Behind, which is lyrically a little goofy (which...let's face it, can preface a description of literally every Rush song apart from the instrumentals) but rocks like nobody's business. I also once called in to a classic rock radio station as a teenager to request the title track from Fly By Night and, for reasons completely unclear to me, they played the call on the air...and then played Limelight. Radio's a hosed-up business. Where was I?

The Prog Era: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres. The song about elves is actually back on Fly By Night, but these are the three records people will point at when they're talking about Rush music being all "elves 'n poo poo." The side-long 2112 isn't so much a song as it is a mini rock opera, which means you have songs that only exist to drive the plot. People may think it heretical, but I think side B of the record (songs about weed and being sad and a little bit of objectivism) is better than side A (OBJECTIVISM: THE ALBUM). Has way better riffs, if anything. A Farewell to Kings is probably the most consistent of these three records. Xanadu is slightly overlong, but cooks. Cygnus X-1 is ridiculous and gave Dream Theater the idea that they too could split songs across albums, so I'm biased against it. Hemispheres is basically in the same boat as 2112 for me---weaker side A, better side B.

The They Like The Police? Era: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals. Don't get me wrong, they're still nerdy as hell, both lyrically and musically, they just spend this period getting away from unreasonably-long songs (averaging 4-7 minutes per song instead of having 10-20 minute songs and then three normal songs to balance it out) and getting into trickier rhythms and synthesizers. These three are up-and-down good.

The Holy poo poo, Synthesizers Era: Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire. I really like the last of these three, but it comes across as Rush from some weird alternate dimension where they're a synthpop band. Elsewise, kinda skippable apart from a few really solid tunes here and there unless you're really into proggy pop with lots of synths. Afterimage, Mystic Rhythms, Force Ten...your tolerance for these tunes and the albums they're from are probably mostly down to how much you like the 80s.

The Outlier: Presto. At this point, Alex, the guitarist, basically goes "if we don't get some goddamn guitars back into this, I'm walking." So they do. Ssssssssorta. There's still a little bit of keyboard on this record, often more piano-like sounds, which you don't get anywhere else in their catalogue. But the guitar is still totally stuck in the 80s---there's solos, but a lot of it stuff outside of that is the sort of thin acoustic guitar overdub on electric guitar that inevitably sounds like they're playing electric guitar but also playing an unplugged electric guitar at the same time. They also change record labels around this time.

The Nineties: Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo. They get back to writing songs with riffs and generally settle into a mature radio-rock sound. Oddly, these three records are also concept albums---though on far more broad terms than most bands might use the term---covering fate, relationships and communication respectively. Dreamline, Bravado, Animate, Stick It Out, Driven and Half the World are the key songs here, most of the rest is okay. The title track to the first of these three records is the most possibly nineties thing, containing a rap breakdown. Yes. You heard me. It's clearly someone in the band with a voice modulator, but man, bad idea.

The 00s: Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows, Clockwork Angels. And the Feedback EP, which is all 60s covers. Vapor Trails is uneven, but that's almost certainly partly because of how tiring it is to listen to---it's almost certainly the straw that broke the camel's back in the loudness wars. You cannot really get any more brickwalled than this record. There is a remixed (not in the dance music sense, in the music production sense) edition of the record out there which I should track down at some point. There's good songs there, it's just hard to get at them. Snakes & Arrows is far and away my favorite record from their post-80s output and definitely worth checking out, though it's somewhat informed by the George W. Bush-era political landscape, which doesn't entirely age well. Far Cry, the first single from it, is definitely their best song since, like, 1991. I never really got into Clockwork Angels. I can't really say much about it. It's just kind of too much. In that way, it's almost peak Rush---too many riffs, too many tempo changes, too many lyrics, etc.

And just to add on to that, if you eventually go check out Vapor Trails, the remixed version is much more in line with their other albums than the original release, which is very loud and has a very heavy, muddled sound. For some songs it works, some it doesn't, but that's getting into very advanced fandom territory.

Also, if you like live music, they've got a ton of stuff that's all over the place in terms of mix and quality, depending on the era or songs you may be interested in. Their first two, All The World's a Stage and Exit... Stage Left are extremely good, although the latter is a bit more polished/processed. I'm a huge sucker for the Grace Under Pressure Tour video/album, which IMO has the best balance of sound and performance.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you very much! Got some fun stuff to dive into it looks like

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Possibly 'Moving Pictures' - as it's between the 70s and 80s era, had hits like Tom Sawyer and YYZ

For peak '70s Prog Rock' era, '2112', 'A Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres'. Gives you the side long epics and shorter tracks. 2112 itself is the big famous epic but probably the weakest other tracks.

For '80s synths are cool' era, both 'Signals' and 'Grace Under Pressure' - the later being really moody and brooding. I do love 'Hold Your Fire' as well but it's really cheesy.

EDIT:
Totally beaten by a way better and more detailed post.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My vote is for signals. It’s a monster

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BigFactory posted:

My vote is for signals. It’s a monster

FWIW Signals is my favorite studio album of theirs. The 1-2-3 combo of Subdivisions, Analog Kid, and Chemistry is fantastic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fartknocker posted:

FWIW Signals is my favorite studio album of theirs. The 1-2-3 combo of Subdivisions, Analog Kid, and Chemistry is fantastic.

The fact that new world man was an afterthought that they whipped up in the studio cause they needed one more song is my favorite

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah another vote for Signals. I discovered it when I was 6 and it remains one of my favorites. So much S Y N T H.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also you need to see the Time Stands Still film clip

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 27, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Turbinosamente posted:

Two silly questions:

The Principle of Moments is his best. It’s good, but not great. “Big Log” was the big single back in the day and captures the chill vibe of the first two albums. The rest of his catalog is pretty bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I appreciate people remembering my post! I probably should have written more about Signals in retrospect because like everyone else is saying it is really goddamn good.

The only additional piece of info I have at this point is that the 1978 show that got edited down into the third disc of different stages is reproduced in full (lakeside park and all) as bonus material for the fortieth anniversary edition of a farewell to kings, where it is actually a much better listen

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are a couple of songs from my first rush show that made it onto different stages, so I’ll always like that one. Exit stage left and show of hands are great, but different stages has a really good track list. It even has that (almost) funky jam at the end of CTTH.

I probably go back to show of hands the most, though. The power windows and HYF stuff is so good.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Geddy Lee started composing songs on piano somewhere around the Signals album and it shows. Sonically, it's the best-sounding; if you're a Peart fan, this is his singular best-recorded performance--the production on the album is fantastic. But creatively? They went downhill fast and stayed there, choosing to ape (poorly) the popular genres of the moment. *cough* *counterparts* *cough*

Here's peak Rush:

Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals

bonus: Caress of Steel for the really weird poo poo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OF SALESMEN

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Bill Laswell?

I like some of the random stuff I’ve heard him on but every time I try to listen to his albums I’m flummoxed. I first heard him years ago in this Japanese jazz thing called Tokyo Rotation where he sat in with DJ Krush and some great Japanese jazz guys playing this very cool atmospheric stuff. But then he has punk albums and stuff I can’t figure out.

Bumping this request because I know one or two of you nerds is a Laswell appreciator.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Bumping this request because I know one or two of you nerds is a Laswell appreciator.

Where does one start with Bill Laswell? That's like asking where one starts with food, or books. The scope of his work is staggeringly vast and varied. Nobody likes everything Laswell does, except maybe for Laswell himself. Even the biggest Laswell fans still hate some of the stuff he's done.

You're sort of better off selecting a genre of music that appeals to you, and then exploring what Laswell has done within that genre, because if you can think of it, he's surely dabbled in it. And you'll find his contributions are intelligent, well-crafted, respectable, and eminently worthwhile. But then that will lead to his genre mash-up and dub projects, and that stuff gets very weird and we're back to flummoxed.

So, that said, Deconstructed-The Celluloid Recordings is a pretty good selection/overview of the earlier years, when he was into only a million different things (as opposed to the billions now). But beware, if stuff there grabs you and you decide to explore further, you could be in for a surprise... Laswell has groups supposedly devoted to different musics (Massacre, Praxis, Material), but even within the groups' recordings, the albums can vary wildly in style. I have a bunch of Material releases, they all sound different from one another, and different from the Material tracks on this compilation. What's the connecting thread? Who knows? Bill does, I guess...

I most enjoy Laswell's collaborations with the P-Funk crew (big surprise there, considering my username/av); he's coaxed really creative work from them in recent decades in a way that George Clinton seems no longer able to do. Axiom Funk Necronomicon is a really good compilation of that stuff if you're into it, but it's more focused, not as far-ranging in styles as Deconstructed.

Then, search him on Bandcamp, there's gobs of his stuff there to explore. Good luck.

EDIT: tldr, pfft you're on your own

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sir Nose posted:

Where does one start with Bill Laswell? That's like asking where one starts with food, or books. The scope of his work is staggeringly vast and varied. Nobody likes everything Laswell does, except maybe for Laswell himself. Even the biggest Laswell fans still hate some of the stuff he's done.

You're sort of better off selecting a genre of music that appeals to you, and then exploring what Laswell has done within that genre, because if you can think of it, he's surely dabbled in it. And you'll find his contributions are intelligent, well-crafted, respectable, and eminently worthwhile. But then that will lead to his genre mash-up and dub projects, and that stuff gets very weird and we're back to flummoxed.

So, that said, Deconstructed-The Celluloid Recordings is a pretty good selection/overview of the earlier years, when he was into only a million different things (as opposed to the billions now). But beware, if stuff there grabs you and you decide to explore further, you could be in for a surprise... Laswell has groups supposedly devoted to different musics (Massacre, Praxis, Material), but even within the groups' recordings, the albums can vary wildly in style. I have a bunch of Material releases, they all sound different from one another, and different from the Material tracks on this compilation. What's the connecting thread? Who knows? Bill does, I guess...

I most enjoy Laswell's collaborations with the P-Funk crew (big surprise there, considering my username/av); he's coaxed really creative work from them in recent decades in a way that George Clinton seems no longer able to do. Axiom Funk Necronomicon is a really good compilation of that stuff if you're into it, but it's more focused, not as far-ranging in styles as Deconstructed.

Then, search him on Bandcamp, there's gobs of his stuff there to explore. Good luck.

I'm really loving this state I'm in right now where I truly can't tell if you're sincere or absolutely full of poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sir Nose posted:

Ok yeah, good, because that's been my impression of him so far. I'm a big P Funk fan, so I'll dig into that. I also like dub, so that's one area of him I've poked into already, and I can't remember what it was that I found weird about it.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm really loving this state I'm in right now where I truly can't tell if you're sincere or absolutely full of poo poo.

I dunno man I'm pretty high and it sounds right to me.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I'm a big P Funk fan, so I'll dig into that.

In addition to the Axiom Funk compilation, check out these too:

Zillatron - Lord of the Harvest, Hardware - Third Eye Open, Bernie Worrell - Blacktronic Science, Bootsy's Rubber Band - Jungle Bass, Praxis - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis), Maceo - For All the King's Men, Material - The Third Power

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cripes :psyduck:

Some choice quotes about various Laswell projects

quote:

According to music critic Chris Brazier, "Laswell's pet concept is 'collision music' which involves bringing together musicians from wildly divergent but complementary spheres and seeing what comes out."

quote:

Engineer Martin Bisi claims the album began as a Sly and Robbie record but "Bill really took over... And then, before you know it, the record's done and they're staring at something that they don't recognize... suddenly [they] woke up and were like, 'This is not our record and we don't want it to come out with our name on it,' and Bill just ended up calling it a Material record, The Third Power."

quote:

He became a member of the band Last Exit in 1986 with Peter Brötzmann, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and Sonny Sharrock.[1] Aside from one album that Laswell cobbled together in the studio, the band was primarily a live one, showing up at gigs with no rehearsal. The first time the four members played together was on stage at their first show.

Anyhow, here's the Tokyo Rotation stuff I mentioned if anyone else wants to get weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFnSPespbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFm_pUZLvCY

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Cake?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Cake?

Fashion Nugget
Motorcade of Generosity is pretty good. Really, just listen to the first four albums. I think anything after Pressure Chief is boring.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 4, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fashion Nugget
Motorcade of Generosity is pretty good. Really, just listen to the first four albums. I think anything after Pressure Chief is boring.

This is solid advice. Motorcade of Generosity is worth it for "Jolene" alone, really.

I got into them with Prolonging The Magic. Never really cared for anything after Pressure Chief.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How about Ween?

E: also, what about Pulp -- I listened to This Is Hardcore and the impression I got was a sarcastic David Bowie. Is that the gist?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 4, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

How about Ween?

E: also, what about Pulp -- I listened to This Is Hardcore and the impression I got was a sarcastic David Bowie. Is that the gist?

Chocolate and Cheese for Ween

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hard to pick a "starting point" for Ween because they have so many different sounds but you can't go wrong with The Mollusk.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Very true if you dont like one Ween album dont discount all of them bc they sound v different

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

That’s a good read of that album. You could go back to Different Class next if you liked it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Getting into Ween is a fuckin lifetime journey, it's like getting into the Dead. They don't have a "sound" other than "weird, dumb, obnoxious, and gross." The Mollusk and Chocolate and Cheese are pretty accessible, and 12 Golden Country Greats is hilarious as well. I think to get kind of an understanding though, some essential listening is GodWeenSatan and The Pod. They do really deserve a chronological discovery, which I wouldn't say about most bands. I liked individual songs here and there for a long time (Bananas and Blow, Ocean Man, Voodoo Lady, etc) but every time I'd try to listen to an album or let youtube auto play them, I'd be like "what the gently caress is this poo poo?" and go do something else. Then a friend of mine made me listen to some of their pre-Ween stuff and then the first three albums chronologically on a road trip and a lot of it started making sense.

The dudes are in their 50s and still making music to piss adults off, it's the greatest musical troll ever executed. I saw them at Red Rocks a few years ago, and both sets were super heavy, fuzzy, sludgy almost metal. A couple nights before, they played The Mollusk in its entirety in Portland, and that album is most definitely not heavy.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 4, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Chocolate and Cheese for Ween

Ah, the student has become the teacher now!

Chocolate and Cheese or White Pepper. Although I got into them chronologically, with GodWeenSatan, cuz I love lo-fie punk poo poo, and watching their style, taste and production evolve is a journey in itself.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Ah, the student has become the teacher now!

I will always be thankful to you for introducing me to Ween <3

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you really want to get weird, the stuff they released in the 80s was supposedly written and recorded while they were into inhalants.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If you really want to get weird, the stuff they released in the 80s was supposedly written and recorded while they were into inhalants.

"Supposidely", lol.

I do like Ween's demos and lo-fi older stuff, though it's not the place to start.

I tend to recommend coming into The Pod or Pure Guava a little bit later, cuz they're so loving weird, but some people, like Kvlt! for instance, gravitate towards those albums over the more polished refined Ween, so it really just depends on your taste and how strange you like your music.

Kvlt! posted:

I will always be thankful to you for introducing me to Ween <3

Warms my heart that they stuck and became a fave of yours!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Franchescanado posted:

"Supposidely", lol.

I do like Ween's demos and lo-fi older stuff, though it's not the place to start.

Yeah, agreed, pretty much all of that stuff is just too... poo poo I don't know.

Here's a fan video for Your Party that I always chuckle at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33gQtW4ebZo

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cake and Ween... that's like 40% of my early 20's right here. But I need more of both. Gonna find some time to autoplay a long list of Ween sometime today.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ExecuDork posted:

Cake and Ween... that's like 40% of my early 20's right here. But I need more of both. Gonna find some time to autoplay a long list of Ween sometime today.

What about Primus? I can’t separate them from Ween.
Also Paulo Baldi, who played drums for Cake, plays for Les Claypool a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
quote="regulargonzalez" post="516714848"]
How about Ween?

[/quote]

"Different Class" would be the key Pulp album, I'd say, so I'd second that recommendation.

Pulp are very set in British class relations of a very specific era, they're pop literate and quote from 60s and 70s pop a lot, so definitely informed by glam Bowie (there was a thrift shop glam element to certain strains of Brit Pop, but it was sadly smothered by lager and tracksuit top bullshit), but I wouldn't say its the only thing they do.