Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, I'm just not going to play your boat game unless I can ramp the heaviest ship over the biggest ship using recoil like the tank from GTA3.

I have standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What about an Orion drive ship? Sets off a series of underwater nukes to create a tidal wave it can surf.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As a matter of principle, I don't have nuclear weapons (nuclear reactors are OK) or kamikazes in the game. Pretty much just, I find these things distasteful, so why should I include them?

A big ol' test rocket engine strapped to the hull that can burn things with the exhaust sounds OK though!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for the kind words about Waves of Steel! :kimchi:

As the developer, it's hard to pick favorites, but I think my favorite thing about the game is probably that the 1-meter gun (that is, a gun with a bore diameter of 1 meter) uses a roll of thunder as its firing sound effect :science:

Put in the card game systems you coward

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Put in the card game systems you coward

Okay, I just had a brilliant idea to reimplement Archon (the chess / shmup duel game) with warships. That could be a really cool minigame.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks for the kind words about Waves of Steel! :kimchi:

As the developer, it's hard to pick favorites, but I think my favorite thing about the game is probably that the 1-meter gun (that is, a gun with a bore diameter of 1 meter) uses a roll of thunder as its firing sound effect :science:

I deeply appreciate that someone looked at the Warship Gunner series and keeps the dream alive.
I think late game Warship Gunner 2 I would usually end up in a Double-Hull battleship with 16 turrets, each with a 4-510mm guns, that somehow fired about 3 times a second. Also the ship went 50kts.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

My favorite negative review for a goon game is still this one for Caves of Qud

:allears:

I love the way that the wording implies the swastika was just chosen at random from the long list of sacred hindu/buddhist/sumero-akkadian symbols the dev wants to destroy.

Reading this and then seeing the actual game is a journey.

Anyway, I'd like to know more about this saturnine death god and/or its debased thought diseases? Is there also a literal axe? Is the axe issued, or do I bring my own?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I just had a brilliant idea to reimplement Archon (the chess / shmup duel game) with warships. That could be a really cool minigame.

I salute you for the impossible waves setting. Just craters and pillars of water, impossible to navigate or control.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Post poste posted:

I salute you for the impossible waves setting. Just craters and pillars of water, impossible to navigate or control.

Pretty much any time I've had a setting, I've thought "what happens if we push this setting way past the bounds of good taste?" :v:

For those wondering what "impossible waves" are, in the free-play setup, you can choose weather, which includes how big the waves are. This is "impossible":

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just want to know if I can have a gun so large that the ship is technically just the gun with some ship parts attached to it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I just want to know if I can have a gun so large that the ship is technically just the gun with some ship parts attached to it.

As of a bit under 24 hours ago, this is planned! But it'll have to wait for near the end of the game just due to how it will work.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
While there's a lot of things wrong with it and dragging the game down, the journal in Mass Effect Andromeda has a really good "the story so far" section that summarises decisions you've made in terms of the plot, your friends/allies and also just what kind of person your Ryder comes across as.

That kind of thing is really handy for a talky game with lots of characters that you might play over an extended period, because damned if I can remember everything but it's useful being able to look back to remind myself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danger - Octopus! posted:

While there's a lot of things wrong with it and dragging the game down, the journal in Mass Effect Andromeda has a really good "the story so far" section that summarises decisions you've made in terms of the plot, your friends/allies and also just what kind of person your Ryder comes across as.

That kind of thing is really handy for a talky game with lots of characters that you might play over an extended period, because damned if I can remember everything but it's useful being able to look back to remind myself.

People laughed about it or didn't like it but I thought one of the few things Andromeda did right is that Ryder is a lovely leader. No one respects their authority and no one really listens to them until later on. It was a good contrast to have from Shepard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As of a bit under 24 hours ago, this is planned! But it'll have to wait for near the end of the game just due to how it will work.

:neckbeard:

RBA Starblade posted:

People laughed about it or didn't like it but I thought one of the few things Andromeda did right is that Ryder is a lovely leader. No one respects their authority and no one really listens to them until later on. It was a good contrast to have from Shepard.

I would question how Ryder was made the leader if they had no leadership expertise, but then again, we watched an episode of Twilight Zone where a ship crashed in the desert, and the leader decided that the (loving massive) area they were on, with the sun the same size, the day and night being the same cycle, the stars being the same, a fully breathable atmosphere and gravity being exactly the same... is clearly just an invisible asteroid no one on Earth saw. So my bar has been set pretty loving low on "qualifications to be leader".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

I would question how Ryder was made the leader if they had no leadership expertise, but then again, we watched an episode of Twilight Zone where a ship crashed in the desert, and the leader decided that the (loving massive) area they were on, with the sun the same size, the day and night being the same cycle, the stars being the same, a fully breathable atmosphere and gravity being exactly the same... is clearly just an invisible asteroid no one on Earth saw. So my bar has been set pretty loving low on "qualifications to be leader".

Male Ryder is canon, because a bland-rear end incompetent white guy would absolutely get promoted to a leadership position anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

:neckbeard:

The whole job of Pathfinder is really stupid too. Because it boils down to "don't drink the stagnant water, idiot". "Don't live in the heavily-irradiated area, idiots". It's all things that would be done, better, by automated survey probes.

And were done so in Mass Effect 2 :v:.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The whole job of Pathfinder is really stupid too. Because it boils down to "don't drink the stagnant water, idiot". "Don't live in the heavily-irradiated area, idiots". It's all things that would be done, better, by automated survey probes.

And were done so in Mass Effect 2 :v:.

My memory is fuzzy on it but doesn't Andromeda take place between 2 and 3, except they left the area we know in those games years and years previous? So maybe they didn't have those probes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Joey Freshwater posted:

My memory is fuzzy on it but doesn't Andromeda take place between 2 and 3, except they left the area we know in those games years and years previous? So maybe they didn't have those probes?

IIRC they leave somewhere between 1 and 2 and by the time they get to Andromeda it's been hundreds of years since the trilogy games happened.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

IIRC they leave somewhere between 1 and 2 and by the time they get to Andromeda it's been hundreds of years since the trilogy games happened.

Ah yeah so I had it backwards but they still wouldnt have had the probes problem solved :smug:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

I would question how Ryder was made the leader if they had no leadership expertise,

his dad gave him the job

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

What about an Orion drive ship? Sets off a series of underwater nukes to create a tidal wave it can surf.

Oh my God, an Orion Wakesurfer. The spirit of 1950s mad science lives on in you, Badger.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

Oh my God, an Orion Wakesurfer. The spirit of 1950s mad science lives on in you, Badger.

There's something great about wakesurfing, but it does piss off the other mourners.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
At the end of the Surge 2, there's a stats roll showing how many times you died to bosses vs. the average amount. There's also a "most hated enemy" based on what regular enemy you died to the most. I like seeing those sorts of stats surfaced, though it mostly proved that yes, one particular enemy is bullshit because it was both my nemesis AND the global nemesis.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm playing the newest Sherlock Holmes game (which is, incidentally, really good). Holmes has a daughter now, who is staying with him, and he's taking it in stride. There's a small detail I appreciate, which is that instead of reading his notes on the case during the customary taxi ride cutscene, he is reading a book on Practical Motherhood and Parentcraft, which is both incredibly Victorian and also very fitting for Holmes. "How do I figure out how to dad? I guess I'll read a book"

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Philippe posted:

I'm playing the newest Sherlock Holmes game (which is, incidentally, really good). Holmes has a daughter now, who is staying with him, and he's taking it in stride. There's a small detail I appreciate, which is that instead of reading his notes on the case during the customary taxi ride cutscene, he is reading a book on Practical Motherhood and Parentcraft, which is both incredibly Victorian and also very fitting for Holmes. "How do I figure out how to dad? I guess I'll read a book"

Is that the Devil's Daughter or is there a new new one?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's the Devil's Daughter, yeah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A really neat video Youtube handed me today, about how Dark Souls did a very specific short cutscene, is actually super interesting. Basically in a scene where a character crackles with energy and grows, unlocking the camera shows that the opposite's happening: the character remains the exact same size, and the room shrinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV_9wQWWLjc

In dissecting it, it turns out there's probably multiple pieces of really clever logic for this.
1. Making the character grow would likely lead to some ugly stretched textures; that's avoided by instead making everything else smaller.
2. The particle effects have to remain consistent with the character rather than their surroundings; that's a lot easier when the character's the thing remaining stationary.
3. Making the shot work with the camera as it appears would require simultaneously growing the character and tracking the camera backwards to keep him in view; but if the room's instead getting smaller, then the camera doesn't even have to move at all, the effect happens by itself.

I just really like seeing such a clever solution to things you thought were done a whole different way.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Stexils posted:

his dad gave him the job

Ah, nepotism.

I know Andromeda has its issues. But at the same time, there was a lot of that game that I really, really enjoyed. Once in a while I play it and get sad about the obvious sequel/dlc bait.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cleretic posted:

A really neat video Youtube handed me today, about how Dark Souls did a very specific short cutscene, is actually super interesting. Basically in a scene where a character crackles with energy and grows, unlocking the camera shows that the opposite's happening: the character remains the exact same size, and the room shrinks.

In dissecting it, it turns out there's probably multiple pieces of really clever logic for this.
1. Making the character grow would likely lead to some ugly stretched textures; that's avoided by instead making everything else smaller.
2. The particle effects have to remain consistent with the character rather than their surroundings; that's a lot easier when the character's the thing remaining stationary.
3. Making the shot work with the camera as it appears would require simultaneously growing the character and tracking the camera backwards to keep him in view; but if the room's instead getting smaller, then the camera doesn't even have to move at all, the effect happens by itself.

I just really like seeing such a clever solution to things you thought were done a whole different way.

One of the things I love about film is that it's so much about using weird little tricks and misdirections to work around that everything is done with flesh and blood humans. It's magic captured at 24 frames per second. Like how they did the empty London scenes in 28 days later using camera angles and careful shooting and sound mixing.

Game development is about the same thing, accepting the constraints of animation work and logic scripting and how many polygons can be rendered by your GPU at any time. This kind of development hasn't changed that much over the past decade as technology has improved, if anything it unlocks more and more tools for developers to use.

It has made film less interesting however, as so much ends up being done in post in giant render farms.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

Zullie the Witch who makes those is really worth the watch if you love Dark Souls.

The videos are rarely longer than a minute and use developer tools to go place and mess with the scripting in all kinds of fun ways.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Playing through Pathfinder: Kingmaker again since they added turn based mode, and it made me realize something the game does that made me so happy.

In the rules system it uses for combat, characters have AC (armor class), which is the number you have to roll on a 20 sided die plus your bonuses to hit them. It is a base of 10, and increases with armor, shields, spells etc. Well, when you attack and miss, the target's animation changes based on how you missed.

For instance, I have a breast plate and a shield , which gives me +6 and +2 to my AC respectively, and my natural dexterity gives me another +1, for a total of 19. If you roll 19, you hit. But if you roll 18 and miss by one, I dodge out of the way (natural dexterity). If you roll 16 or 17, I block with my shield. Rolling 10 to 15 means it simply bounces off my armor. Below 10 is a simple whiff.

This made me cackle with glee because I always kept track of this and described the results when I was a DM in my DnD days. If you go through all the trouble to wear expensive, heavy armor, you want to feel like it was worth it. So no, the orc didn't just "miss", his blow glanced off your breast plate. The choice you made as a player is the reason you didn't get hit, not some random dice roll.

And I think that's just swell.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Aug 6, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

At the end of the Surge 2, there's a stats roll showing how many times you died to bosses vs. the average amount. There's also a "most hated enemy" based on what regular enemy you died to the most. I like seeing those sorts of stats surfaced, though it mostly proved that yes, one particular enemy is bullshit because it was both my nemesis AND the global nemesis.

Which one?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally got the Nonary game collection of Steam and I'm close to the end of my replay of 999 (onto the 4th ending path, the library) I'd forgotten how underhanded and manipulative Junpei could be, it makes him a very fun character to play as. 999 is the only game i've played so far in the series, so after this I'll be onto the two games I know nothing about.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

wow did this for a bit. common causes of death-by-NPC were Onyxia, then the beefiest raid boss, and Cat, the default name for a hunter's pet feline. but they all paled in comparison to Defias Pillager, a level 15ish spellcaster mob in Westfall that was horribly overtuned

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I finally got the Nonary game collection of Steam and I'm close to the end of my replay of 999 (onto the 4th ending path, the library) I'd forgotten how underhanded and manipulative Junpei could be, it makes him a very fun character to play as. 999 is the only game i've played so far in the series, so after this I'll be onto the two games I know nothing about.

Be warned that Virtue's Last Resolve is a true forever-game. It also gets half it's plot spoiled within 15 minutes of Zero Time Dilemma if you for whatever reason skip it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have no intention of skipping it. I'm gonna play VLR after finishing with 999.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm playing through Skyward Sword HD, and probably the neatest mechanic in that game is Timeshift Stones - when you activate them, a localized field turns on, moving that area to how it used to be way in the past. It makes for great puzzling mechanics, with traps, traversal puzzles, and enemies changing up depending on whether or not the stone is activated. My favorite little touch is when you kill an enemy from the past in such a way that you knock them outside of that field, they instantly pop down onto the ground as a little pile of ancient bones. It's somehow both morbid and weirdly :3: at the same time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The statue robots.

World War Mammories posted:

wow did this for a bit. common causes of death-by-NPC were Onyxia, then the beefiest raid boss, and Cat, the default name for a hunter's pet feline. but they all paled in comparison to Defias Pillager, a level 15ish spellcaster mob in Westfall that was horribly overtuned

Sort of reminds me of City of Heroes where they did an entire sparkly brand new onboarding-heavy expansion pack that only spanned levels 1-20 (out of 50) but completely forgot how to design encounters for those levels so everything was completely ridiculous.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blasphemous is just really nice to look at. The backgrounds and enemy designs and lots of the NPCs are all just so interesting looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

World War Mammories posted:

gently caress these assholes and their stupid fireballs so hard. :argh: