Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Have You Ever, Pay The Man, No Brakes and Americana are good cuts but the rest are whatever

Speaking of anti-vax and music:

Ah yes, famous anti-needle person Kurt Cobain

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't get vaccinated because it's against my steampunk beliefs

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Stink Billyums posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1422699807228022788

dexter actually has a phd in molecular biology so I can see why he'd kick a guy out of the band over it

nah nah why don't you get the jab

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

tuo posted:

I had a similar experience couple days ago. I usually try to prevent any and all shopping trips at the moment, but had to get some stuff from the grocery. Guy behind me nearly basically drives his shopping cart into my legs (the whole shop of course has „stop here“ lines on the floor so distancing rules are applied, which he totally ignored). I turn around, and he looks at me, his mask (which is still mandated here) under his face. I kindly ask him to back off, and he just makes a funny face at me. I look to the owner of the shop and point at the guy and shrug my shoulders like „seriously?“ and nothing happens. I move up the queue and then that guy actually moves his cart right next to me, and continues to get as close to me with that loving smiling face as possible.

I never, ever in my life (outside of an hockey rink) wanted to punch someone or actually did punch someone in the face, but at that point, I really had to control myself, and it was loving hard.

The worst thing about this is that I thought about that hosed up situation the whole day, even when I went to bed.

I‘m really afraid of these situations when everything opens up here (which will happen sooner or later, regardless of the situation), because they will happen more and more…

The correct move would have been to let rip a loud, drawn out fart while staring into his eyes. Then go "Whew! this one's volatile! Better put on that mask cause here it comes!" Then gently use your hand to waft it towards his face in sweeping motions.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Sturgis starts on Friday. This year they're expecting >700k people! :coronatoot:

Is it possible to allow everyone to arrive and then wall off the city with stacked shipping containers like Vegas in Army of the Dead? They get their party, we prevent an ultraspreader event, everyone wins.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AHH F/UGH posted:

Have You Ever, Pay The Man, No Brakes and Americana are good cuts but the rest are whatever

Speaking of anti-vax and music:

Ah yes, famous anti-needle person Kurt Cobain

Ricky Schroder's the piece of poo poo that bailed out Kyle Rittenhouse BTW.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is a really lovely headline. He's choosing not to tour with them because he can't get vaxxed for a valid medical reason; he has had Guillain Barre Syndrome since childhood.
He says he fully supports anybody not getting vaccinated for basically any reason they choose. You're really giving him the benefit of the doubt, here.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

KinkyJohn posted:

The correct move would have been to let rip a loud, drawn out fart while staring into his eyes. Then go "Whew! this one's volatile! Better put on that mask cause here it comes!" Then gently use your hand to waft it towards his face in sweeping motions.

Can‘t fart on command, sadly.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

tuo posted:

unfortunately, the Fart Commander gives the orders here

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Derek Smart's Fart Commander.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

tuo posted:

Every now and then in life you encounter a beggar without feet situation, but the shock and humility the encounter engenders never becomes familiar.

In this thread of disturbing and tragic things, this is perhaps the most disturbing and tragic of all. Can you share your story? It might give strength and hope to the rest of us who haven't lost the God-given ability to fart on command.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Derek Smart's Fart Commander.

Fartcruiser Millennium

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AHH F/UGH posted:

Wow!!!! These people whose political ethos is to try and get LESS help from the government and more and more often are electing people who isolate them further, who actively encourage anti-science conspiracies and believe anything they read on a facebook group as gospel??? You remember them?

They're the same as black people, you see!!!!!! It's the government's fault!!! Rushed vaccine!!! Unprecedented speed!!!!

My brother-in-law (who is a 26 year old man btw) posted on Facebook (lol) that the vaccine was created by Bill Gates to reduce the population of the world by making people infertile.

Someone responded "This is dangerous misinformation. You own a grocery store, you owe it to your employees to get vaccinated."

BiL responded "BLOCKED COMMIE - guess the Soros checks are clearing again???"

He'll never get a vaccine, there's literally no way to discuss things rationally with someone like that.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I, for one, am still awaiting my Soros stimulus check.

Sorry that you have to deal with that kind of crap in your family, though. =/

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 4, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Zugzwang posted:

The places around here have "FREE*" on their signs as well, with the * saying "with insurance or through a federal program for the uninsured." Are there people who don't qualify for the federal program, e.g., undocumented immigrants?

Depends on the state maybe, but either way the baseline trust simply isn't there.

Anyway everyone is turning into a doomer again:

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 4, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Blooster posted:

Cuomo seemed like the best governor to have if you are worried about covid since he has no problem telling schools and businesses to go gently caress themselves when they ask to remove the mask mandate.

If he resigns, who replaces him? I'm not American so I don't know how it works. Hopefully his replacement is extremely pro mask and not some nutter like Elise Stefanik?

Cuomo killed thousands of people, covered it up, and constantly got into a pissing match to override DeBlasio's measures.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Depends on the state maybe, but either way the baseline trust simply isn't there.

Anyway everyone is turning into a doomer again:

Yeah it definitely seems like there's a been a big turn around in the general public recognizing that Delta is here and that we are definitely in the beginning states of a new wave in the US, with several states well into that wave. Even people I know who were taking 0 precautions are talking about masking up again, cancelling events, trips, etc.

I will say I don't really count that as doomer on it's own though. I'd probably say a "doomer" is someone who just cannot believe in even temporary improvements and gravitates towards whatever the worst case news of the time is. For many I think it's like an anxiety/fear thing, others it's like a politics twitter brain thing where they feel a need to see the doom happen to feel right. Note that I don't count people taking the highest precautions, advocating for restrictions, worried about covid in general in this category automatically. It's really just people who's actual perception of the reality has been massively skewed through doomscrolling.

It's basically the reverse of the people who feel the need to defend vaccines/masks/whatever solution has made them confident again. Like people who need to continually assert that deeply flawed "99% of vaccinated people didn't get covid!" stat or automatically discount any negative news as fear mongering have basically the same brainworm as doomers, but about optimism.

brugroffil posted:

Cuomo killed thousands of people, covered it up, and constantly got into a pissing match to override DeBlasio's measures.

I almost feel like Cuomo defense is kinda related to these above things, because some people have gotten really entrenched in defending him during the pandemic. I think he won a lot of people over by at least appearing to do something during the early stages of the pandemic and holding tons of press conferences and stuff, while everyone in the federal government and many states seemed to be making it worse. That first impression really stuck with some people who just can't accept he hosed it up and was actively covering up his gently caress ups.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WadeSpeaks/status/1329553771710480384?s=19

https://twitter.com/WadeSpeaks/status/1298397864561979394?s=19

quote:

The Rev. Wade Morris, 51, an evangelist who spoke across the country, died Tuesday morning after contracting COVID-19. He was a guest speaker at Falls Creek Youth Camp last month.

Morris spoke at the Christian summer camp near Davis, Oklahoma during the week of July 5, according to Brian Hobbs, Communications Director of Oklahoma Baptists, which puts on the camp. Morris started showing symptoms of COVID-19 the week following the summer camp, which hosts about 4,000 participants each week.

Oklahoma State Epidemiologist Jolianne Stone said the State Department of Health does track outbreaks of COVID-19, “however, unless we are notified by Falls Creek about cases, or individuals report attending Falls Creek/other camps, we would not know of cases that might be associated.”

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1422920267974676487?s=20

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1422915785849286656?s=20

It does feel a bit gauche to be getting your "hey, it will probably help" 3rd shot when a significant amount of the world's countries have <10% of their population vaccinated.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A Fancy Hat posted:

My brother-in-law (who is a 26 year old man btw) posted on Facebook (lol) that the vaccine was created by Bill Gates to reduce the population of the world by making people infertile.

Someone responded "This is dangerous misinformation. You own a grocery store, you owe it to your employees to get vaccinated."

He'll never get a vaccine, there's literally no way to discuss things rationally with someone like that.

This isn’t even the new conspiracy meme, that poo poo’s old stuff

He’s not only being poisoned by Facebook, but the lamest part of FB

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Wait your BIL literally believes in Soros checks??

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

low key sex master posted:

Wait your BIL literally believes in Soros checks??

Yes. He's full on "Trump is our only hope against an army of monsters and I am part of his army, that's why I send him money every month."

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I used to be a gunsmith and came from a conservative family. They and all of my previous customers fully believed that anyone who opposed the republican party was either an ignorant child or being paid by the Soros man himself.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Ricky Scrotum

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Zugzwang posted:

Sturgis starts on Friday. This year they're expecting >700k people! :coronatoot:

Is it possible to allow everyone to arrive and then wall off the city with stacked shipping containers like Vegas in Army of the Dead? They get their party, we prevent an ultraspreader event, everyone wins.

If you're a terrorist, maybe.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am feeling very pissed that back to school is fully on in my county, albeit with masks. But what do masks matter when kids are going to go maskless to eat in a cafeteria? Delta is airborne and transmits in seconds. Even if they had the space to distance in a cafeteria it wouldn't matter much. This is an intractable problem, kids need to eat lunch. The case rate is worse than it was at back to school time last year, when things were fully virtual. Delta is known to cause worse outcomes for kids. We've waited this long, why can't we hang on until there are vaccines for kids?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Dren posted:

We've waited this long, why can't we hang on until there are vaccines for kids?

I feel like you might already suspect this but public school hasn't been primarily about learning in the US for quite some time. My county is heavily promoting all-day 4K classes when my 5 year old (4 at the time) can read well enough to play Pokémon after roughly 2 hours per day of homeschool this past year. It's just babysitting.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Disclaimer: I got no kids and don’t want them, and I don’t care if kids go back to school either way (fake Edit: actually I’d prefer them not to, tbh, less traffic)

I suppose there’s an argument to be made that it’s really bad to have a generation of kids who skip 2 years of school / are home-schooled

it’s not just “babysitting”, for the younger ones (4-8) it’s a critical stage to develop social skills (dunno about teens, as a teen I would’ve preferred to stay home)

So maybe for the majority it will be beneficial to go back, but sux for that kid who becomes a Covid Orphan, or has to deal with lovely lungs for life as a long hauler

And of course there’s the risk of an even worse variant that outright kills kids, etc

Any “we are taking all safety measures” from schools is bullshit, kids puke, cough, fart, smell, and are generally walking fluid factories

It’s a really weird time, this generation will be raised with 2 school years practically gone, and lots of screens and unfiltered Internet, and that sounds like it could be real bad in 20 years

(I know many parents limit screen time and monitor what their kids watch, but it feels like it’s a minority)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Also:

https://www.theroot.com/michael-jai-white-confirms-his-eldest-son-died-due-to-c-1847420045

:(

Michael Jai White Confirms His Eldest Son Died Due to COVID-19 at 38
In a recent interview with VLAD TV, the actor said his son—who was a father of six—died a few months ago after a lengthy stay at the hospital.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I think it's very unlikely the posture will shift back to hybrid or virtual before school starts. The conversation right now is around masks or no masks in schools, not in-person vs hybrid/virtual. Stories that come out about school outbreaks are going to be largely focused on "this school didn't require masks, now these kids are sick". To get back to hybrid/virtual will require the conversation to become "these kids wore masks and there were still outbreaks, the kids got very sick".

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

honestly just feeling numb, despondent, and with no clue what to even do with this information re: lambda variant

I hope it takes me quickly, I guess?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
My partner teaches high school, and is already stressed the gently caress out about what this year is gonna bring. The district is absolutely packed with anti mask chuds who are already fighting like crazy against even any mention of the possible maybe potential of masks. The school's facebook page is being blown the gently caress up at all hours of the day. Demonstrations are being planned.

I'm already exhausted by it all and I don't even teach there.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1422940638002225156?s=20

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

honestly just feeling numb, despondent, and with no clue what to even do with this information re: lambda variant

I hope it takes me quickly, I guess?

Don't worry too much about any particular variant until actual well studied real world data rolls in. A bunch of variants have been a bit hyped after a few early research papers, in vitro tests, or guesses at properties based on specific mutations, but have fallen short of the worst cases that make the most news.

Do you remember the California variant? No probably not, but in February it was getting tons of twitter and news hype as the coming doom for the US. EFD even made one of his silly threads about how it was going to become the dominant strain in California by the end of February, by which time they'd be firmly in a 4th wave and the rest of the country would soon follow. This didn't happen because it really lacked any sufficient mutation to even beat out Alpha, let alone survive among increased vaccination and natural immunity rates. I'm not saying that will happen here, but not too put too much stock and stress into any one variant, because a lot of it is just guesswork based on limited information.

Just pay attention, avoid crowded events and people who aren't being safe, wear masks when you do have to be around people, and get vaccinated and encourage others you know to do so. Delta is a very real threat.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I love that they lumped in “a little worse” with “a lot worse” so it’s much harder to assess actual attitudes.

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1422915785849286656?s=20

It does feel a bit gauche to be getting your "hey, it will probably help" 3rd shot when a significant amount of the world's countries have <10% of their population vaccinated.
It is indeed a travesty that so many people in the world remain involuntarily unvaxxed. Unfortunately, tons of doses in places like the US are getting wasted, so in those places, you’re not taking a dose from anyone if you go for a third shot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

Don't worry too much about any particular variant until actual well studied real world data rolls in. A bunch of variants have been a bit hyped after a few early research papers, in vitro tests, or guesses at properties based on specific mutations, but have fallen short of the worst cases that make the most news.

Do you remember the California variant? No probably not, but in February it was getting tons of twitter and news hype as the coming doom for the US. EFD even made one of his silly threads about how it was going to become the dominant strain in California by the end of February, by which time they'd be firmly in a 4th wave and the rest of the country would soon follow. This didn't happen because it really lacked any sufficient mutation to even beat out Alpha, let alone survive among increased vaccination and natural immunity rates. I'm not saying that will happen here, but not too put too much stock and stress into any one variant, because a lot of it is just guesswork based on limited information.

Just pay attention, avoid crowded events and people who aren't being safe, wear masks when you do have to be around people, and get vaccinated and encourage others you know to do so. Delta is a very real threat.

As I understand it, immunity is very complicated and not well understood. So even saying "this variant evades vaccine antibodies more than other ones" may not be a cause for concern because antibodies are not the full picture of how immunity works. There are existing wild variants from before delta that evade antibodies better than delta, but got outcompeted by delta so at least for now we don't have to worry about them.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I know this is gbs, but I’m feeling overwhelmed by conflicting information and I know goons will give me the straight poop. I’m flying with my 7 month old next month and I’m feeling very nervous about the flight. I can’t really protect him. Should I cancel the flight and drive instead, or am I being paranoid?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lmao should be an immediate resignation but ok we forgive you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

remigious posted:

I know this is gbs, but I’m feeling overwhelmed by conflicting information and I know goons will give me the straight poop. I’m flying with my 7 month old next month and I’m feeling very nervous about the flight. I can’t really protect him. Should I cancel the flight and drive instead, or am I being paranoid?

If I were you?

...how long of a drive are we talking?