Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think it's weird that Klingons even bother with beds, they seem like they'd have a metal prong for a pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brawnfire posted:

I think it's weird that Klingons even bother with beds, they seem like they'd have a metal prong for a pillow
When Picard and Data take that Bird of Prey to Romulus, the bed in their quarters is basically just a metal bench which checks out

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

it's well established that jem hadar are masters of the blade and hand to hand combat except for that one group that found the iconian gateway and got clowned on by five starfleet officers who had never used their weird battle axe spear thing before.

hi yes what other episode includes an iconian gateway

fake edit: DS9 "To The Death"

also lol at Discovery making GBS threads all over star trek lore

quote:

According to Star Trek Online, the Iconian gateways constitute a galaxy-spanning network of thousands of gateways of various sizes, including ones large enough to admit fleets of starships. The network also extends towards the Andromeda Galaxy, though to what extent is unknown. It's also revealed that the Iconians do utilize spacecraft. These vessels are able to open ship-sized gateways at will, using them to travel great distances instead of traditional warp drives.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Seems like Jem'Hadar were only scary cuz they have the phasers that make you bleed to death.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the sfx for phaser deaths is so inconsistent that the federation version almost certainly have a setting that does the same thing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They also turn invisible.

Fed kids probably play Flotter and Friends and then casually call up the Battle of Hastings for a break from problem solving forest fires. I mean if you play the Alamo hundreds of times you learn to fight with a knife.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one lets kids do alamo holodeck programs. kids might ask "who were all these people and why were they fighting?" at which point larping as murderous invading slavers loses a lot of its appeal.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Worf crossed the picket line, he's bad

Every picket line is a Rite of Ascension.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one lets kids do alamo holodeck programs. kids might ask "who were all these people and why were they fighting?" at which point larping as murderous invading slavers loses a lot of its appeal.

*loads up Call of Duty*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Danaru posted:

Jem'Hadar might have the genes for combat, but Sisko's got like fifteen years of Kirk-punching hostile aliens in the back under his belt.

Plus realistically, the Jem'Hadar have been mostly fighting civilian populations in terror campaigns, having to fight people that actually shoot back shows just how powerful Dominion propaganda is

I feel like the real potency of a genetically engineered slave warrior caste isn't in fielding the best of the best, of the best (sir!), it's in having an effectively disposable army that can just win wars through sheer attrition. They can take an objective and not give a poo poo as to how many casualties they took, because there's another division on the way and another army group brewing in the vats that'll be ready in a few months or whatever.

Zesty posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but TAS explains the uniforms are made from futuristic materials that keep them temperature controlled and decently protective.

There's a brief reference to it in one of the third-season TOS episodes too, where they land on a cold planet and Kirk tells the landing party to turn up the temp on their uniforms or something like that.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Danaru posted:

Jem'Hadar might have the genes for combat, but Sisko's got like fifteen years of Kirk-punching hostile aliens in the back under his belt.

Plus realistically, the Jem'Hadar have been mostly fighting civilian populations in terror campaigns, having to fight people that actually shoot back shows just how powerful Dominion propaganda is

Surely the guy that knocked Q on his rear end can handle a few jem'hadar

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I will never not love it every time they use the Double Axe Handle like it's the 1985 and we're in the runup to WrestleMania.

It's so fuckin great.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Worf is a loving bummer not because he's a Klingon but because he's a post-Soviet Belarusian. He grew up in Mensk.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bashir does have the shittiest taste in historical battles

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
almost like his hobbies are those of a middle aged white man's in the 90's

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Bashir does have the shittiest taste in historical battles

Then what battles should he be reenacting?
edit: If you list 3 you have to include one fictional future one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

How come the criminals get to go to New Zealand for "rehabilitation"? Every penal facility in the Federation is "Club Fed".

Because you're used to the American justice system of "Make them slaves in all but name forever we can profit off of" instead of the European method of "actually rehabilitate them and treat them as decent human beings".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Automatic Slim posted:

Then what battles should he be reenacting?
edit: If you list 3 you have to include one fictional future one.

Operation Shock and Awe
That one time a kid in 6th grade punched me
The Hyperbattle of Gorx

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

that was rom and all worf did was decide not to boycott the bar. odo was the one who was anti-protesters.

Right, I had nog and rom confused. But no, Worf was all about "gently caress the union" because otherwise Obrian wouldn't have picked a fight with him.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Worf just chose not to let the strike disrupt his routine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Automatic Slim posted:

How come the criminals get to go to New Zealand for "rehabilitation"? Every penal facility in the Federation is "Club Fed".
the american writers thought it was part of australia

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

the american writers thought it was part of australia

New Zealand became a state of Australia in the 2025 War of Reunification

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Australia was apparently the last nation to sign to the United Earth so uh that might have been the case there

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

New Zealand became a state of Australia in the 2025 War of Reunification

New Zealand originally had been in talks to become a state of Australia when it federated. Comparing the current Aussie government to the Kiwi one, probably would of been better if it had, happened but the other way around.

May the sun never set on the glorious United New Zealand empire that could of been!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because you're used to the American justice system of "Make them slaves in all but name forever we can profit off of" instead of the European method of "actually rehabilitate them and treat them as decent human beings".

Don't worry Discovery made it so that it turns out the Federation uses prisoners as expendable laborers in dangerous and deadly mines.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Don't worry Discovery made it so that it turns out the Federation uses prisoners as expendable laborers in dangerous and deadly mines.

Completely fair if those mines are in New Zealand.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Okay, the Disco episode that stuck in my craw the hardest was the one where they go to the Kelpian homeworld, because that premise is amazing and the execution was that everyone did a series of things that warrant a court martial leading to a series of fortuitous explosions directed by an omnipotent time being. Here is my simple fix to make this into an episode of Star Trek.

The Baoul are genuinely terrified of the Evolved Kelpians (which is not evolution, but pokemon's version of evolution, anyway). They say things like "you have no idea what these creatures are, if they get out they will ravage the galaxy." This is a tried and true sci-fi premise, and the entire artistic purpose of rehashing it in an ongoing property like Star Trek is that Star Trek has tackled it repeatedly. A non-exhaustive list of pan-galactic threat species and conglomerations of species encountered by the Federation:
- Klingons
- Tribbles
- The Borg
- The Dominion
- Q
- Humans themselves, which is the whole point of that Mirror Universe you people seem to be so fond of

The episode treats the Baoul as terrifying, soulless Armos-like beings who are pointing toward a mystery box (What's in the Kelpian?). But what if the show and the characters in it just took their concerns seriously? Okay, yeah, Kelpians grow neck spines and run super fast. The thing is that it's the future, so we have laser sticks and don't need neck spines. This is a Klingon. They each have 5 livers and prod each other with sticks in order to bond, and we just won a war against them and now we're kind of buddies. Kelpians can see into the infrared spectrum? Well, we can do that with computers, and this lady has a computer installed in her brain. Kelpians are super strong? Here, Saru arm wrestle Sarek on camera real' quick.

The Federation should confront the Baoul with the ugliness of their self-appointed mission of containment. It's not necessary. It felt necessary 2,000 years ago, and the Baoul ordered their entire society around that thing that felt necessary, and it impoverished their culture. Every technological advance went to the absurd project of managing their herd of delicious bipedal space deer, and as much as that did unfathomable violence to the Kelpians, they've become a peace-loving people who prize connection with their wonderfully living planet. In some sense, the Baoul victimized themselves, because they live in paranoid terror in their space fortresses, barely able to enjoy their lush planet. They rejected the Federation's overtures out of that same paranoia, but even the briefest contact shows what a wasteful lie they are living under. ("Oh man, you probably haven't even heard of Nausicaans! One of them could fold a Kelpian in half.")

End with Michael forcing Georgiou to talk about the mirror universe and how even she, the former emperor, has to admit that compassion and understanding has built a better world for humans, there's no such thing as a depraved species, etc.

Ed. You can even leave most of the set pieces totally intact. They still kidnap Saru and Siranna. There is still a faction that wants to eradicate the Kelpians. The time ghost still pops in and waves its magic wand and saves everybody. But the plot is fundamentally about an idea instead of a series of images.

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 4, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There once was a woman from venus
Who's body was shaped like a :spock:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Kelpians being slaves in the Mirror Universe is a stupid thing in its own right. By the Mirror Universe's typical "logic" in its writing they should've been living up their true status as apex predator/warriors instead of meek prey.

I assume the whole thing was a season two retcon (and frankly a much-needed one after a season of MY PEOPLE SENSE ~FEAAAAAR!~ :byodood:"), because otherwise it would've been a great hint to drop in the season one trip to the MU.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Danaru posted:

There once was a woman from venus
Who's body was shaped like a :spock:

Vulcans aren't from Venus.

...this sounds like lies to me.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By the Mirror Universe's typical "logic" in its writing they should've been living up their true status as apex predator/warriors instead of meek prey.

This also would have been a highly correct thematic use of the mirror universe that went along perfectly with Disco's existing themes.

The correct uses of the mirror universe are:
- Showing us that we're the real monsters

- Showing us that the thing that keeps us from being the real monsters is our commitment to humanity and the right of others to dignity and thriving

- Dumb campy adventure plots that let Rom say things like "I guess this is why they call it... the ALTERNATE universe!"

Ed. Oh yeah and the Baoul are an allegory for us making our planet uninhabitable so we can eat cows. It was right there, you cowards

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 4, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even now decent writers who have even the slightest interest in engaging with the ideas of star trek could salvage disco. this will never happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Kelpians are canonically tasty

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In the same way Lobsters are, I assume.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

even now decent writers who have even the slightest interest in engaging with the ideas of star trek could salvage disco. this will never happen.

I assumed they stopped taking spec scripts because they'd lay bare just how worthless the writers they pay are compared to people willing to send scripts in for free.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I assumed they stopped taking spec scripts because they'd lay bare just how worthless the writers they pay are compared to people willing to send scripts in for free.

I was going to say "yeah and remember when they used to just hire established sci-fi writers like Harlan Ellison and Peter Beagle? Get NK Jemison or whoever in there," but then I remembered about Picard.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

that's assuming worf wouldn't be big into the cuckold lifestyle.

It is…..without honor

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

betaraywil posted:

I was going to say "yeah and remember when they used to just hire established sci-fi writers like Harlan Ellison and Peter Beagle? Get NK Jemison or whoever in there," but then I remembered about Picard.

It would still work really well for something like Strange New Worlds where it would be much easier to get in a few established names to come in for just one episode each. I'm sure there would be plenty of great and interesting ones that would jump at the chance.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I would love an Alastair Reynolds Star Trek. Who the gently caress thought Chabon was a good choice? Did they just not read his books first? I like his stuff but him as a ST writer no lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the more i think about it, worf should have joined gowron to invade cardassia. i would have. loving petaQ.