Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I知 trying to figure out how one would mechanically stat out a hook-on-a-chain weapon for a V20 game I知 a player in, and was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions or ideas. I was thinking of a sort of meat hook or grappling hook style end with a mid-length chain, so that it could be held up at the hook normally.

Sounds like a kusarigama, which probably exists in one of the WoD books somewhere.

You could even throw in a little ironic fluff about the choice of weapon, since in the real world the kusarigama was apparently a great weapon to use against swords during their heyday, and everybody knows vampires and vampire hunters are obsessed with katanas.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I知 trying to figure out how one would mechanically stat out a hook-on-a-chain weapon for a V20 game I知 a player in, and was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions or ideas. I was thinking of a sort of meat hook or grappling hook style end with a mid-length chain, so that it could be held up at the hook normally.

I've seen a couple of fan versions that had it at like STR+2 damage plus being able to grapple, concealable in a jacket.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roadie posted:

Sounds like a kusarigama, which probably exists in one of the WoD books somewhere.

You could even throw in a little ironic fluff about the choice of weapon, since in the real world the kusarigama was apparently a great weapon to use against swords during their heyday, and everybody knows vampires and vampire hunters are obsessed with katanas.

Although the exception is the vampire hunters obsessed with chain weapons...

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

What would you think of playing in this sort of game?

Hell yeah. It looks like you've thought it through and got where you need to be - is there a specific concern you have?
For my two cents as long as the person running the game is upfront with the whys and wherefores about these kind of changes they usually work out. I'd certainly wouldn't blink at rolling up a character for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since I might go with the Musketeers Dark Era, I知 wondering: did they ever do anything in either WoDs with the Man in the Iron Mask?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since I might go with the Musketeers Dark Era, I知 wondering: did they ever do anything in either WoDs with the Man in the Iron Mask?

I think the WoD Dark ages logo for the Nosferatu had an iron mask/helmet in it, but beyond that, no.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Must have been convenient being able to claim you were just a leper or plague victim back then.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Crasical posted:

Must have been convenient being able to claim you were just a leper or plague victim back then.
Other than giving them an entirely different reason to shun and stone you to death on sight, anyway

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do any vampires just cover up a ton and go out in the day or does the daylight not give a gently caress about covering and just wreck any vamps regardless

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FirstAidKite posted:

Do any vampires just cover up a ton and go out in the day or does the daylight not give a gently caress about covering and just wreck any vamps regardless

My understanding is that A) it's actually really hard for a vampire to get up during the day at all and B) sunlight fucks your poo poo up pretty much no matter what.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

By canon, there's very little that can be done since even sunlight at dusk and dawn is deadly. So I went off the deep end and started digging into illuminance values to measure things and go from there and the stuff I came up with is not favorable at all. I could give you my full table of crazy if you'd like though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

FirstAidKite posted:

By Requiem 2e rules, at Blood Potency 1 and and Humanity 7 or higher, a vampire can cover every inch of skin and go out in the daytime, provided they can expend the great mental effort to stay awake at all, and they'll still feel real lovely the whole time. But any but most freshly-embraced kindred is gonna start smoking no matter how many layers they're wearing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Crasical posted:

One of the coolest bits of Dark Age Vampire stuff is exactly this - the Nosferatu emerge as simultaneous protectors and exploiters of lepers and merge in with the Leper Knights and similar monastic orders, creating a ton of ghouls. Their blood doesn't cure leprosy but it does mean that they don't suffer the same loss of extremities due to infections. Living in a Nosferatu leper colony is probably the single best bit of medical care you could hope for unless you could afford your own physick.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So our LA game spanning the late 40s, mid 60s, and now the 80s is ramping up to its conclusion. Last session had my Malkavian using a Technocratic tower to attempt a countermeasure to the Syndicate's plan to use the 1984 movie to spread comformity.

Said countermeasure involved my Malk, who has slowly evolved from a cowardly neonate to a still cowardly ancillae driven by the desire to spread The Flood (he was one of the first "infected" by Dementation), using the Network to summon all the Anarch malkavians in the city to give him the juice necessary to transmit the Madness Network. This plan worked so well that it sucked up all the Malkavians present save him to the Network where they're all pretty happy. Meanwhile my guy is basically Moses not allowed to enter the Promised Land because his Work isn't done.

The end result? He kickstarted the Satanic Panic and laid the groundwork for the 90s Swing resurgence, the latter of which he identified as a necessary step for the destruction of the Vienna chantry decades down the line. So it's basically Local Cainite Ruins Everything.

The upside is that he learned that the mysterious pirate radio DJ that alternates between giving on the nose hints of what is going on and reading recipies like Conway Tweety's Burgers is actually him.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ZiegeDame posted:

By Requiem 2e rules, at Blood Potency 1 and and Humanity 7 or higher, a vampire can cover every inch of skin and go out in the daytime, provided they can expend the great mental effort to stay awake at all, and they'll still feel real lovely the whole time. But any but most freshly-embraced kindred is gonna start smoking no matter how many layers they're wearing.

Pretty sure Ordo Dracul can also buy some special whatever-they池e-calleds to make daytime existence easier. But even then you池e just sprinting across a courtyard taking lethal damage at best instead of being instantly obliterated.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So I kind of zone out and don't pay attention to my kickstarter backer emails, I probably should pay closer attention to them but whatever, mea culpa.

but I noticed in the update for the Changeling 2e kickstarter they mention the PDFS for Oak, Ash, and Thorn shipped. Anyone know what's in that book?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Crasical posted:

So I kind of zone out and don't pay attention to my kickstarter backer emails, I probably should pay closer attention to them but whatever, mea culpa.

but I noticed in the update for the Changeling 2e kickstarter they mention the PDFS for Oak, Ash, and Thorn shipped. Anyone know what's in that book?

Systems for building Tokens, Entitlements, alternate Mantles, and Freeholds.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

citybeatnik posted:

So our LA game spanning the late 40s, mid 60s, and now the 80s is ramping up to its conclusion. Last session had my Malkavian using a Technocratic tower to attempt a countermeasure to the Syndicate's plan to use the 1984 movie to spread comformity.

Said countermeasure involved my Malk, who has slowly evolved from a cowardly neonate to a still cowardly ancillae driven by the desire to spread The Flood (he was one of the first "infected" by Dementation), using the Network to summon all the Anarch malkavians in the city to give him the juice necessary to transmit the Madness Network. This plan worked so well that it sucked up all the Malkavians present save him to the Network where they're all pretty happy. Meanwhile my guy is basically Moses not allowed to enter the Promised Land because his Work isn't done.

The end result? He kickstarted the Satanic Panic and laid the groundwork for the 90s Swing resurgence, the latter of which he identified as a necessary step for the destruction of the Vienna chantry decades down the line. So it's basically Local Cainite Ruins Everything.

The upside is that he learned that the mysterious pirate radio DJ that alternates between giving on the nose hints of what is going on and reading recipies like Conway Tweety's Burgers is actually him.

This Malk rules lol.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Attorney at Funk posted:

Systems for building Tokens, Entitlements, alternate Mantles, and Freeholds.

Hmm! That's all cool stuff.
I was kinda hoping pie-in-the-sky for some reworked hedgespinning and oneiromancy and pledgecrafting rules, but those are all interesting.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Crasical posted:

Hmm! That's all cool stuff.
I was kinda hoping pie-in-the-sky for some reworked hedgespinning and oneiromancy and pledgecrafting rules, but those are all interesting.

There's a Hedge book working its way through the OPP pipeline right now, but you know how that goes.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Which version of mage is the best one?

If that isnt specific enough, which is the easiest to teach to a group of players that have only ever played dnd?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Mage: the Awakening is the best. 2e is probably harder to teach than 1e but not by much, and generally superior.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
All the 2e books get way, way easier for a new group to use if you have reference cards for all the Tilts and Conditions from the back of the book, since there are just too many of both.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rubix Squid posted:

By canon, there's very little that can be done since even sunlight at dusk and dawn is deadly. So I went off the deep end and started digging into illuminance values to measure things and go from there and the stuff I came up with is not favorable at all. I could give you my full table of crazy if you'd like though.
Isn't there a point around Fortitude 3 or 4 where you start being able to, if not 'tank' sunlight, reliably resist incidental minor sunlight problems?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
It's been a long rear end while since I've thought about oWoD, but yes I'm pretty sure that Fortitude 3 was sufficient to tank twilight or heavy cloud cover.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mage is never really going to be easy but Awakening 2e is going to do you a lot of favors. Mostly I'm posting to reiterate that you want to have tilts and conditions on a very quick reference set up, whether that's cards or a second copy of the pdf or a spreadsheet, it feels very bad to flip the book constantly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been thinking about running a Control style Technocracy thing during October as a kind of Halloween thing and boy I had forgotten what Ascension was like. Pretty sure it is going to have to be pre-gens because even I get worried when I look at the page count on M20. Not that you need to read all of it by any means but still.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Awakening is the one 2E game I prefer to it's 1E version, with the caveat that I'm still gonna sue the poo poo-ton of books I bought.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Rubix Squid posted:

I want to say Thin-Bloods in VTM or V5 also get slightly downgraded damage from the sun, but I am not 100% sure.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pakxos posted:

I want to say Thin-Bloods in VTM or V5 also get slightly downgraded damage from the sun, but I am not 100% sure.

15th Gen in VtM take lethal instead of Agg but since they have to spend 2 bp to either raise a stat by 1 or heal it it's still expensive in the long run. Thinbloods in v5 can have a merit that halves their health and keeps them from using disciplines with no other impact.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nessus posted:

Isn't there a point around Fortitude 3 or 4 where you start being able to, if not 'tank' sunlight, reliably resist incidental minor sunlight problems?

I wouldn't say so. Even if you've got Fortitude 5 and are in the lowest possible amount of sunlight that can still damage you (that is, 1 aggravated wound per round), you are still rolling those five dice every three seconds. It's probably pretty safe to, like, dash from one doorway to another but you can't just stay out there.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

I would like a feedback about an idea:

I like WOD lore but I hate V5 and everything they did. I also love Requiem vampires and system. Specially 1e Requiem.

I will start a new campaign in a couple months time and Im thinking of using Requiem with Masquerade.
Using the idea listed in Beckets diary about multiples types of Gehenna, it would start as a change in the blood of Cainites.

First the power of generation would be destroyed and changed to Blood potency. For most vampires that dont use Thaumaturgy the change will go unnoticed. But Thaumaturges would notice that every single vampire is counted as 0th generation. Elders would start to feel the effect of high blood potency (need for vampire blood, animal blood stop working,etc) and some would refer to old nodhists texts about sleeping to weaken the blood.

The generation power also destroyed the clan ties, leaving the 5 clans of Requiem. A vampire would still be able to connect to their old clan (now in the system as bloodlines) but that would require a certain power of blood. Vampire nodhists would have lots of theories about it, most would think that now they are closer to the 2nd generation than the third. The fact that there is 5 main bloodlines would be explained using the theory that some third generations actually used diablerie on the second generation. So the Daeva would be considered descendants of Zillah, to give an example.
It all started in the late 90´s so now in 2021 people are already used to it.

What would you think of playing in this sort of game?

This is Cool and Good and I would like to play this game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got it! I got my chronicle idea for Saber, lily and thorn.

The Man In The Iron Mask is a True Fae that got captured by mortals/hunters. The iron is a binding. Some Changelings learn this somehow and that starts the ball rolling between those that want to use it, kill it or free it.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Man In The Iron Mask is a True Fae that got captured by mortals/hunters. The iron is a binding. Some Changelings learn this somehow and that starts the ball rolling between those that want to use it, kill it or free it.

...this self-evidently rules. Like, how was that not already a suggested plot hook? It was RIGHT THERE. Throw in some inter-Arcadian politics or eldritch pact bullshit his death would violate to gave your PCs a reason to not just merk him when they figure it out and you're golden.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The way I got it figured out so far is that there are four main factions:

- The Autumn Court, who want to kidnap Iron Maks and experiment on him to find out more about the True Fae.
- The Summer Court, who want to just merk him.
- Loyalists and Privateers, who want to free him.
- The Malleus Maleficarum, who are the ones who imprisoned him in the first place. I think they exist at this time?

The leader of the Autumn Court will be a Richelieu pastiche, even using the title of Cardinal instead of King. The initial leak would be to him, by a Jesuit spy who infiltrated the Malleus (the Jesuits don't trust this fringe organization) who might be Aramis or just inspired by Aramis, I haven't decided if I'm gonna use the actual Musketeers characters yet.

Digital Osmosis posted:

...this self-evidently rules. Like, how was that not already a suggested plot hook? It was RIGHT THERE. Throw in some inter-Arcadian politics or eldritch pact bullshit his death would violate to gave your PCs a reason to not just merk him when they figure it out and you're golden.

Not a bad idea, I was counting on the faction fighting being enough but a complication like that would help.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Rubix Squid posted:

By canon, there's very little that can be done since even sunlight at dusk and dawn is deadly.

Speaking of which, is there a canon statement on which dawn and dusk we're talking about when it comes to when a vampire rises? Do they have to wait for the last rays of sunlight to fade, or is the Sun dipping below the horizon enough?

Though even with the most generous interpretations only being awake for nighttime sounds like a pain in the rear end if you're the busy sort.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

YaketySass posted:

Speaking of which, is there a canon statement on which dawn and dusk we're talking about when it comes to when a vampire rises? Do they have to wait for the last rays of sunlight to fade, or is the Sun dipping below the horizon enough?

Though even with the most generous interpretations only being awake for nighttime sounds like a pain in the rear end if you're the busy sort.

If you can see the sun, the sun can see you. If the sun can see you, you're on fire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheCenturion posted:

If you can see the sun, the sun can see you. If the sun can see you, you're on fire.
Ah, the Fallen London version. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

This. This is the kind of poo poo that makes me love the nWoD. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

YaketySass posted:

I'm don't think it's every clearly spelled out but it seems to imply that vampires wake at around astronomical to nautical dusk and get pushed toward daysleep the second astronomical dawn hits.