Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wst-F65qdAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1419480618715471872/photo/1
https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1419640344392650752
https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1419639871413661698

Chilean polls don't really count for squat anymore, CADEM least of all, but according to these both Boric and Sichel consolidated their respective coalition votes without too much trouble after the primaries. Boric would win a runoff against Provoste handily, and against Sichel narrowly. (A Provoste/Sichel runoff seems unlikely, but Sichel would win)

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
What the gently caress Castillo. Not even 24 hours in and just appointed as Prime Minister a misogynist, homophobic, Sendero apologist nobody.

Apparently the name everyone was expecting for the post was another douche who doesn't give money for the baby he had with a 14 year old but a bunch of Congresswomen send a letter to him telling it would be a bad idea. :shepicide:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm gonna need a loooong summary of Peruvian history to interpret any event going on in Peru.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Grouchio posted:

I'm gonna need a loooong summary of Peruvian history to interpret any event going on in Peru.

For real, the Peruvians have carried on from the Incas in being just loving inscrutable.

Easy to understand what they're saying though

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What little left-wing there is in Peru tends to be socially conservative, even regressive. This was already the case with Sendero, who made no excuses about executing gay men for 'disgracing their communities', and that carried over, to greater or lesser degree, to a lot of left and far-left electoral ventures further down the road, like Ollanta Humala (whose leftist cred lasted precious little after getting elected since he did a 180 on his position on mining rights). This is generally considered to be the case because these blocs largely rely on the rural indigenous poor for support, but then again, so does the MAS-IPSP in Bolivia, and their track record on gender and LGBT issues is okay-ish by Bolivian standards.
JPP/FA (Verónika Mendoza's crowd, which seemed to splinter by the home stretch of the last presidential elections, which many see as the immediate reason Castillo made it to the runoff) is the only group with any kind of congressional presence to advocate for social progressivism, but as far as I'm aware (which isn't much, I only keep up with peruvian politics through osmosis) they've struggled to expand their support beyond urban intellectuals.

I guess I should be thankful that, as split as the Chilean left is, they're all more or less on the same page when it comes to social issues (except for, I dunno, Eduardo Artés, who's an Enver Hoxha style anti-revisionist who wants to reinstate the death penalty, indoctrinate the armed forces into Marxist-Leninism and bring them back into government, expel all Venezuelan immigrants and do away with identity politics)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah all Im seeing about Castillo now makes he seem like a major rear end in a top hat

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I think waiting and seeing is more prudent. Here's a thread where Castillo's Minister for Women and Vulnerable Populations explaining that she will fight all discrimination against LGBTQ+ Peruvians. https://twitter.com/AnahiDurandG/status/1421085960633257986?s=19

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I think it's more like he's folding to the major assholes that run the party he was candidate for (he was invited to run as candidate but does not belong to the party).

Sure, Castillo has also proven to be backwards on some social issues but hasn't spewed the amount of bullshit his Premier has. At some point during the campaign he appeared to be ready to take the wheel in his hands but this has proven otherwise.

On top of it, this also provides more ammunition for opposition in Congress so yeah, this government won't last long.

Edit:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think waiting and seeing is more prudent. Here's a thread where Castillo's Minister for Women and Vulnerable Populations explaining that she will fight all discrimination against LGBTQ+ Peruvians. https://twitter.com/AnahiDurandG/status/1421085960633257986?s=19

That appears to be Vero's quota. Good intentions so we can only hope it doesn't end as a toothless ministry.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 30, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think waiting and seeing is more prudent. Here's a thread where Castillo's Minister for Women and Vulnerable Populations explaining that she will fight all discrimination against LGBTQ+ Peruvians.

The particular tweet in question:
https://twitter.com/AnahiDurandG/status/1421085969948811266?s=20

"I also commit to push an agenda of equality that includes the guarantees of rights and acknowledgment for the LGTBIQ+ community, with whom we will work elbow to elbow. We cannot tolerate any type of discrimination."

E: I think you already had tried to link to the tweet in question Whiskey, but on mobile I get pointed to a different tweet.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 30, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1421446939661508615?s=19

Doesn't sound like it's a particularly regressive cabinet so far.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
They finally convinced him, even if he had rejected the position after Bellido was designated Premier.

That pin and his speech are basically a middle finger to the Bellido/Cerrón leadership.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yeah, Francke was also associated with Veronika Mendoza's group (I'm not even sure what name they're going by now? FA? JPP?) and his initial rejection of the post was what caused all this hubbub. I don't think Castillo has made inroads with any of the other parties with a presence in Congress (not that he'd have much luck, since all other groups range from center-right to fujimoristas afaict), and FA/JPP/whatever only adds a handful of seats, so how he'll deal with a hostile Congress is still an open question.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Mendoza's party is Nuevo Perú but they run with the JPP (Juntos Por el Perú) coalition. Political party names in Perú are somewhat uninspiring but the parties themselves tend to be short lived.

The FA from which they separated did not get any seats this time.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2021

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Frente Estrecho

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I wonder if Castillo wants to genocide all the gays or if its spin by the first-world liberal media machines who framed the coup in Bolivia through the lens of environmentalism and identity politics

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I wonder if Castillo wants to genocide all the gays or if its spin by the first-world liberal media machines who framed the coup in Bolivia through the lens of environmentalism and identity politics

He's in with the ethnocacerists, who are a genuinely weird bunch. Look up Antauro Humala and you'll go down a hell of a rabbithole.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I wonder if Castillo wants to genocide all the gays

Why would you even wonder this? I've never seen anyone suggest something other than Castillo being socially conservative on issues like same sex marriage and gender education in general. Unless you are being facetious and dissing on the prensa chicha but that is the lowest of low hanging fruit, mate.

I've also hadn't seen him lumped with the etnocacerists before. Antauro's bunch backed Lopez Aliaga's party during the first round at least.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ulvino posted:

I've also hadn't seen him lumped with the etnocacerists before. Antauro's bunch backed Lopez Aliaga's party during the first round at least.

Castillo apparently said in his campaign that he would looking into granting an "indulto" or pardon for Antauro.

However yes, this is not the same as Castillo and Antauro working together on policy entre bastidores or Antauro being appointed to a position or anything. It appears more that Castillo made a promise in response to a demand of his supporters.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

no hay camino posted:

Castillo apparently said in his campaign that he would looking into granting an "indulto" or pardon for Antauro.

However yes, this is not the same as Castillo and Antauro working together on policy entre bastidores or Antauro being appointed to a position or anything. It appears more that Castillo made a promise in response to a demand of his supporters.

Right, I hadn't seen that before. As you say, it does appear to be him trying to please part of his supporters, and also by date that should be during the campaign for the second round, right? So he may have tried to reach for the antauristas.

In any case, besides constant struggle with Congress (nothing new from the past 5 years), it seems his term will be marked by the internal fighting for power within his party. Let's hope he gets more confident along the road and helps him juggle all this pressure groups.

Also, the most recent fuss appears to be that, since he rejected using the presidential palace because it's a colonial symbol (it was raised where Pizarro lived but the palace was actually built in 1938), he's conducting official meetings on a friend's house where he's staying in Lima, and no public records are being kept.

Obviously detractors are already calling for impeachment (since before he was sworn in, mind you) but even if it's being blown out of proportion, transparency wise doesn't look good, especially when fighting against corruption was one of his primary objectives.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Just erect a statue right outside the palace of Atahualpa suplexing Pizarro and call it a day

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/BrazilBrian/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Will the Biden admin prefer working with bolsonaro and attempt to block Lula (again)?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/BrazilBrian/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Will the Biden admin prefer working with bolsonaro and attempt to block Lula (again)?

Taking the foreign policy of the Obama administration into account, as well as Biden’s own actions towards Cuba, yes.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 4, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was saying that since last year: is great for the whole world that Trump is out, good for us too. But we cant expect Biden, or the democratic party in general, to be our friend, or even not our enemy

They dont care that Bolsonaro loves Trump and believed the fraud, they do care that Bolsonaro is much more likely to do whatever they want than Lula

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Lula's previous mandate was a sovereign Brazil while Bolsonaro (or whatever lib they drag out) will just go with whatever the US says, no matter who's in charge.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nucleic Acids posted:

Taking the foreign policy of the Obama administration into account, as well as Biden’s own actions towards Cuba, yes.

Maybe, but isn't a Brazilian-American equivalent to the Cuban expat population in Florida that Biden has to pander towards.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nucleic Acids posted:

It's not up to Biden. Bolsonaro is currently polling majorities in favor of impeachment and absolute majorities opposed to his reelection. There's also no relation between Cuba and Brazilian presidential elections, and it is needlessly conspiratorial to associate them. And as a final aside, it reveals a pretty startling lapse of memory about Obama's foreign policy, since his policy was one of detente and rapprochement with Cuba.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Obam's admin worked to do the lawfare on Lula that put Lula in jail, barred him from running, and gave Brazil Bolsonaro.

e: I think there's pretty decent documentation there that they were opposed to the "pink wave" through LatAm because it weakened US control over the region.,

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

It's not up to Biden. Bolsonaro is currently polling majorities in favor of impeachment and absolute majorities opposed to his reelection. There's also no relation between Cuba and Brazilian presidential elections, and it is needlessly conspiratorial to associate them. And as a final aside, it reveals a pretty startling lapse of memory about Obama's foreign policy, since his policy was one of detente and rapprochement with Cuba.

Sounds like the Biden administration has a lot of voter fraud investigations in Brazil coming up, that Lula's at it again!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe, but isn't a Brazilian-American equivalent to the Cuban expat population in Florida that Biden has to pander towards.

In general Central Americans residing in America and people of Central American descent tend to be more left leaning as they tend to come from middle or working class backgrounds. Specifically Mexican and Salvadoran Americans.

People from South America tend to be much more right wing. These people often "come by plane".

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

It's a little neat that Brasil, Spain, and México took the medals for men's soccer in the Olympics, especially given that between the Copa America and the Olympics I've heard that the better players generally went to the former.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 7, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
loving disgusting

https://twitter.com/vox_es/status/1426121513112047619

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What the gently caress?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What a great way to fuel the continuous perception of the Black Legend, amigos

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

loving disgusting

Yes, that's Vox. You could pick any, literally any of their tweets or basically anything they've ever said or written and "loving disgusting" would sum it up pretty well.

But I personally think that also applies to most fascist and nationalist parties, though.

Hearing fellow Peruvians and Venezuelans openly defend voting for them during the last regional elections here in Catalonia just so "the reds don't win" could also be described with those two words.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Thank god Mexico was liberated from the bloody Aztec regime, now let me just turn the page of my history book because I can't wait to read about how peaceful and benevolent Spanish rule was

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I mean they are a fascist party who rose to prominence because of the idea that the Spanish government were punishing rapists too much. This is probably as tasteful as they get.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean they are a fascist party who rose to prominence because of the idea that the Spanish government were punishing rapists too much. This is probably as tasteful as they get.

lol thanks for a sec i thought it was an extension of matty g's outlet

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ulvino posted:

Yes, that's Vox. You could pick any, literally any of their tweets or basically anything they've ever said or written and "loving disgusting" would sum it up pretty well.

But I personally think that also applies to most fascist and nationalist parties, though.

Hearing fellow Peruvians and Venezuelans openly defend voting for them during the last regional elections here in Catalonia just so "the reds don't win" could also be described with those two words.

True. And here in Brazil, guess who is getting friends with Vox?

https://valor.globo.com/politica/noticia/2020/11/28/vox-da-ultradireita-espanhola-o-novo-flerte-ideolgico-de-eduardo-bolsonaro.ghtml

Our beloved Bolsonaro family, of course.

And they think just like that too (these are the people who were getting all riled up because a statue of Borba Gato, a famous mass murderer of natives, was burned here a few weeks ago). They identify with the colonizers, and they would want to return to the good old ways of genocide, slavery and extractivism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

This site is paywalled, so just a reminder for folks that you can add a period "." to the end of the "com" to bypass the paywall.

It seems funny to me that Vox has created an unholy alliance between gusanos and anti-immigrant folks who literally spit on those gusanos.

E: is it true that your average Spaniard is just ignorant about the Spanish conquests if not proud about it? I imagine it depends on where you are in Spain.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 14, 2021