Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yes; that was Leviathan at launch. Or possibly IIRC the 1.31 patch, I think it did that to people without the DLC also.

Emperor just had a few hilariously balance-breaking bugs, by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groke posted:

Yes; that was Leviathan at launch. Or possibly IIRC the 1.31 patch, I think it did that to people without the DLC also.

Emperor just had a few hilariously balance-breaking bugs, by comparison.

I think most of the literal game breaking stuff came with the patch. Leviathan just added OP mechanics and mission trees.

e: some of which also didn't work, like iirc it was impossible to actually form Siam for a while

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 4, 2021

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's very telling that emperor at launch was like, in game "broken" because a bunch of stuff was too strong etc but leviathan (or, in fairness, the free patch that came at the same time) took like, 6 patches to just get to "game balance is hosed but at least everything mechanically works".

basically, game balance being hosed with a new expansion/patch isn't ideal but also isn't like, a serious sign of things going shitfaced, but the serious in game bugs and like, outright broken poo poo or missing textures that came with launch leviathan really were

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 4, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Have they fixed heirs yet?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

TheFlyingLlama posted:

basically, game balance being hosed with a new expansion/patch isn't ideal but also isn't like, a serious sign of things going shitfaced, but the serious in game bugs and like, outright broken poo poo or missing textures that came with launch leviathan really were

Ya that's fair. I forgot I just didn't close my game for a few days because of the save game bug. That was still annoying to me, also I know I had to eat a game to learn of the bug.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I said don't buy it. It's not good but it's not unplayable. Particularly in the era of steam workshop where it takes like five minutes to download a million mods.

now don't get me started on mods breaking cheevos, an extremely dumb decision

most cosmetic mods don't change the checksum. are you trying to give ulm a ccr of -90% or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mainly the expanded family (where mission trees, reforms, etc are almost universally weaker than PDS' current offerings) and country colour changes. Red ottos and blue Scotland are big cheats though, to be fair.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the game breaking of leviathan was funny, like a bored child just smashing their dinosaurs together, but i can see how some people took offense to them messing up the new tribal tags and graphics

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you should be able to change tag colors yeah. you can change country names and flags but color is too far ??

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I said don't buy it. It's not good but it's not unplayable. Particularly in the era of steam workshop where it takes like five minutes to download a million mods.

You can get around it with CheatEngine, or at least it used to be possible on older versions, I haven't played modded in a while.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Anbennar! Turns out Wood Elfs have some proper mechanics. Once greenskins are more or less beaten, we all lose the historical friendship and get a new set of missions. Those missions give claims for all the woods. Sadly a lot of those missions have a missing text. But the idea works. One of the elven neighbors is my rival, all the rest are my allies and are allied to a rival too. I've attacked a stray elf during a big war against greenskins so it's 1v1, so it all seems to work out.

Those tunnels are problematic. You can really make claims through them, the thing is it's hard to see which of those tunnels are in the underground net. They all look alike but only some specific ones can be used.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

oddium posted:

you should be able to change tag colors yeah. you can change country names and flags but color is too far ??

You should be able to, but you couldn't because they were in with the country files, which are reasonably under checksum control. Although upon checking just now, country colors have been moved into a whole separate file just for them, so there is no longer any plausible reason why you shouldn't be able to change them at will. I think CK3 is implementing a feature that will let you change your country color on the fly from in-game, EU4 might be following suit?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

ilitarist posted:

Those tunnels are problematic. You can really make claims through them, the thing is it's hard to see which of those tunnels are in the underground net. They all look alike but only some specific ones can be used.

There actually is a subtle visual distinction. The verdant link provinces have extra spurs off of the sides whereas the normal gladeways are just point to point paths.

Edit: or maybe you're talking about the mountain tunnels in which case you'll want to look for apparent dead ends in the dwarven rails

Magissima fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I was talking about tunnels in the woods. Trade map highlights them for some reason, so I'm using that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm still salty that my MP saves got busted and then the subsequent buggy release repelled everyone from the game :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I ended up forming Japan because the 3* General wouldn't span. Gonna get that other achievement some other time.

I'm now on the third Shinto Incident out of six.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I ended up forming Japan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I know, I'm disappointed in myself too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Magissima posted:

There actually is a subtle visual distinction. The verdant link provinces have extra spurs off of the sides

oh poo poo, i never twigged to that. those little branches are a dead giveaway now that you mention it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was enjoying Anbennar but then I saw like the bottom third of the map has placeholder province names and it bothers me so much :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

I was enjoying Anbennar but then I saw like the bottom third of the map has placeholder province names and it bothers me so much :(

yeah fantasy sub-saharan africa and fantasy east asia are unfinished still. if it helps, you can't settle the provinces or do anything with them so you can ignore them and pretend they're not there

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ok I haven't played this since Leviathan came out and now EU4 is crashing whenever I click on a province. Weirdly it doesn't do this when I use a mod the 1356 timeline expansion mod though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After a few false starts I finally got a game going as England where I beat france, is there any babby's guide to economics somewhere that's up to date for 1.31? There are so many interlocking subsystems that I can't figure out which parts are the important ones and how I should balance what feels like a tiny amount of tech points/currency for seemingly everything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Trade will become your biggest cash flow by mid game. This is easy to get ahold of as England since you spawn with most of the Channel node controlled. And taking the rest in the Netherlands shouldn't be too difficult if you have France. Since it's an end node it will get rich as gently caress even if you never bother colonizing yourself. From there you can afford high skill advisors and drown in monarch points.

I think promoting advisors is a DLC feature(??) but England by mid game can cheerfully be promoting and running three tier five guys all the time. It also helps when your poo poo spread of starting monarchs all die and you get Henry Tudor or a rando.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 5, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

After a few false starts I finally got a game going as England where I beat france, is there any babby's guide to economics somewhere that's up to date for 1.31? There are so many interlocking subsystems that I can't figure out which parts are the important ones and how I should balance what feels like a tiny amount of tech points/currency for seemingly everything.

Just build workshops and manufactories everywhere and you are 95% of the way to doing everything optimally with buildings.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah the only provinces you shouldn't be building manufactories on are gold provinces, because you can't. Plop them down everywhere. :homebrew:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks, is it worth building the things unlocked earlier like churches and marketplaces or should I just save up for admin tech 6 instead?

Likewise, how should I be spreading my admin points between tech and all the other stuff they're used for? It feels like those are the ones I'm perpetually short on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Marketplaces are mostly useless, especially for England because your trade node is locked down. Churches are worth it early bc tax is usually the highest early income. I'd say build one everywhere that makes more than .15-.20 extra from it. Workshops and manufactories, everywhere. You might want to put State Houses instead of manufactories in the garbagest province of a state if you have GC issues. Otherwise, the manufactory slot buildings are MP-only.

Mil tech is the only one you need to stay contemporary or ahead in. Admin and dip can happily be spent on other things for the most part. There are a few key techs (more GC, new CBs, new idea slots) but generally coring, unjustified demands, etc helps more than a new admin or dip tech.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 5, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Thanks, is it worth building the things unlocked earlier like churches and marketplaces or should I just save up for admin tech 6 instead?

Likewise, how should I be spreading my admin points between tech and all the other stuff they're used for? It feels like those are the ones I'm perpetually short on.

Generally not unless you have more money than you know what to do with. Building slots are the real cap.

For admin coring is most important (other than getting out of negative stab). You can be behind on admin/dip techs its not a huge deal. Think about taking admin ideas early, the coring cost idea is the best idea in the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Anbennar, Wood Elves.

I was the strongest Wood Elf faction... Or so I thought, before one of the other factions inherited a couple of thrones, beaten some greenskins and formed Cyranvar. The rest of the elven factions (all 2 of them) became their vassals.

Whoa. That's cool. Also, I'm ragequitting.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I take over gibraltar? A mission gave me a claim on it but after taking it it says I can't take it in the peace deal because I can't make a core out of it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

How do I take over gibraltar? A mission gave me a claim on it but after taking it it says I can't take it in the peace deal because I can't make a core out of it.

Coring range is the same as colonial range. You might be able to bump up your colonial range with the advisor but otherwise you have to take something in between first.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Anbennar, Wood Elves.

I was the strongest Wood Elf faction... Or so I thought, before one of the other factions inherited a couple of thrones, beaten some greenskins and formed Cyranvar. The rest of the elven factions (all 2 of them) became their vassals.

Whoa. That's cool. Also, I'm ragequitting.

After several tries I've finally managed to get an Urviksten run going (the start is absolutely brutal) and of course Lorent (not-France) gets a PU on Gawed (not-Commonwealth). Now I just gotta hope they stay super disloyal as they were rivals and fighting constantly before the PU popped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

3 incidents done, 3 to go. This is still slow and boring.

I decided to chase some other easy cheevos in the meantime. Got Subsidize my love, and got three spies trying to get 100 in my 3 Rivals to get that cheevo too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I did Kirishitan the catholic conversion incident was literally the last to fire. I spent like fifty years speed fiving at the end. It was both boring and ruined any ability or desire to actually play as catholic Japan. Shoulda taken explo first and immediately no-CBed some idiot like East Frisia to rebel convert.

The incidents for Japan are a good idea but maybe could use a redo. Really everything about EU4 Japan could use a redo. It's cool that it doesn't spawn as a unified tag and the sengoku period actually is a thing and all that, but otoh, it's ludicrously strong and boring, and can effortlessly stomp everyone around it, even if you actually form Japan instead of daimyo-swarming.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

isn’t one of the incidents complete RNG and might not fire?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I did Kirishitan the catholic conversion incident was literally the last to fire. I spent like fifty years speed fiving at the end. It was both boring and ruined any ability or desire to actually play as catholic Japan. Shoulda taken explo first and immediately no-CBed some idiot like East Frisia to rebel convert.
I don't think religious rebels can get from Europe to Asia, or the other way around.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Poil posted:

I don't think religious rebels can get from Europe to Asia, or the other way around.

Rebel stacks definitely will teleport over sea borders- Denmark starts with a rebel stack on Gotland that will teleport to Skane before the end of 1444 if you haven't seen it before- is rebel teleporting continent locked or something?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rebel stacks definitely will teleport over sea borders- Denmark starts with a rebel stack on Gotland that will teleport to Skane before the end of 1444 if you haven't seen it before- is rebel teleporting continent locked or something?
I tried to do that with Buddhism rebels as Spain but they just sat in their province for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they were doing you a favor