Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I have a wired backhaul between the router and satellite, so (as I understand it) the wireless backhaul should be disabled automatically. My walls are just drywall and wood studs so not sure what's different upstairs from previous homes, but downstairs there is a fully tiled shower and bathroom which I was reading does impact performance much more.

Edit: flooring is stone plastic composite vinyl plank which we've never had before so could also be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you have a dedicated 3rd radio for it and wired is unavailable/sucks, it's actually pretty nice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

PageMaster posted:

I have a wired backhaul between the router and satellite, so (as I understand it) the wireless backhaul should be disabled automatically. My walls are just drywall and wood studs so not sure what's different upstairs from previous homes, but downstairs there is a fully tiled shower and bathroom which I was reading does impact performance much more.

Edit: flooring is stone plastic composite vinyl plank which we've never had before so could also be different.

Hmmm. If you have wired backhaul then that seems odd. I can’t speak to it thought because I don’t have wired backhaul for mine.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How does wireless mesh work when there's no dedicated 3rd radio?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

How does wireless mesh work when there's no dedicated 3rd radio?

Primary radios are used to relay between the satellites. That just means they’re taking some of the available bandwidth for your devices to support it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeh some of the 5ghz band is used.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It's not really a wireless mesh anymore, just a router and a wired access point (I think); it's a carryover from when I was in a house without a lan drop so I'm just assuming it works that way and the dedicated wireless backhaul just stops working. Started messing around with the channels I initially wondered about but no real change. The speed drop isn't a big deal because I'm dropping from 500 to maybe 150 Mbps farthest away, but the latency is really killing me

I'm also only testing with fast.com; not sure how accurate that is or if that's the best site for testing.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 29, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Anybody in the market for some bulk CAT6? Monoprice having a sale:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15187744-1...g-via-monoprice

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to tell Windows 10 not to connect to a wifi signal if it is below a certain threshold? If there's a hiccup in my 100% xfinitywifi signal for a split second, my antenna tries to hop to something two blocks down the street and sticks to it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's driver dependent, not a windows feature. If you have an intel card it's called "roaming aggressiveness."

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Hoping this is the right thread since it isn't strictly about "home" networking. I would like to allow people outside of my home network to make downloads to my Plex server. I've found this software: https://petio.tv/ which seems to serve this purpose, to use it tho, I have to make it available from outside my home network via a reverse proxy. I'm a networking novice so the idea of doing this is a bit intimidating to me, as I'm not sure if, by doing something wrong, I might be making my network vulnerable to outside intrusion. I plan on finding a guide and following it of course but if anyone has some input on how "risky" an endeavor this is, I would love to hear it.

The rough idea right now is:

install the SWAG docker container and set it up
get a free domain via duckdns.org
make the petio.tv interface available via the domain, utilizing the swag docker container

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Hoping this is the right thread since it isn't strictly about "home" networking. I would like to allow people outside of my home network to make downloads to my Plex server. I've found this software: https://petio.tv/ which seems to serve this purpose, to use it tho, I have to make it available from outside my home network via a reverse proxy. I'm a networking novice so the idea of doing this is a bit intimidating to me, as I'm not sure if, by doing something wrong, I might be making my network vulnerable to outside intrusion. I plan on finding a guide and following it of course but if anyone has some input on how "risky" an endeavor this is, I would love to hear it.

make the petio.tv interface available via the domain, utilizing the swag docker container

There’s a NAS thread for future reference. Lots of Plex chatter there too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&perpage=40

Honestly, this is a complicated solution that could be solved with a Google or Microsoft Form.

I wouldn’t arbitrarily expose this software from my home network. The only reason I’m comfortable exposing Plex is because it’s backed by a company developing the software. That’s not even a very good reason, if I’m being honest.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Incessant Excess posted:

I use Bitvise SSH for something similar to this. You can heavily customize security options, lock down only specific clients apps or addresses for access, and it supports 2FA codes. The server app is free for non-commercial use with some limitations on user groups.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

what do your traceroutes and mtrs look like? multithreaded?

My slow download issue is single threaded, via sftp as well as https.

Well that's not looking too good :(

Is that what it looks like when a host oversells?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fletcher posted:

My slow download issue is single threaded, via sftp as well as https.

Well that's not looking too good :(

Is that what it looks like when a host oversells?

Does changing DNS provider give any different results? If that's an option, of course.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Rakeris posted:

So looking to setup a better network now that we own a house, and with all the shenanigans with unifi looking for an alternative, anyone have any experience with omada? Looks to be reasonably priced with decent hardware.

I have a TP-Link Omada setup with the OC-200 controller and two EAP225's. Very easy to setup and extremely happy with the performance. The two access points cover a 3 story home no problem with pretty heavy usage (two adults and a kid full-time remote work/school), and the $90 OC-200 controller is worth it over setting up your own controller on a PC. You don't have to use the Cloud login and can simply access the controller on the LAN (via a web browser against the internal IP address or with the app, which can find the controller on the LAN).

I'm pretty sure you can pay a bit less with an Omada setup than a Unifi setup, though I'm not sure what people are using for the actual router (with Unifi, I'm guessing most people are using an ER-X/ER-4/ER-Lite), since I run Opnsense on a mini PC (which makes my whole setup more expensive). I briefly used an ER-X with a Ubiquiti AP many years back and found the setup a pain in the butt and ended up getting rid of it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For Unifi, you'd be on a UDM or USG so that everything integrates with the Unifi controller web application.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the list in the OP still up to date?

I want to take my piece of poo poo router and throw it into the garbage but I want to make sure that if I actually spend money on a loving router that it'll last more than 2 years before I need to dump it for whatever loving bullshit reason.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I don't know if this is the right place to post about this, but I don't see a VPN thread and I ran a search and didn't see anything relevant,

So whenever I use my vpn I sometimes get flagged by certain websites to do stuff like solve capchas, lately however those same capchas have been happening when I have my vpn off too, specifically with google and youtube, just wanted to know if I've possibly somehow gotten my normal IP flagged as being a "VPN address"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Asema posted:

Is the list in the OP still up to date?

I want to take my piece of poo poo router and throw it into the garbage but I want to make sure that if I actually spend money on a loving router that it'll last more than 2 years before I need to dump it for whatever loving bullshit reason.

No, it's hasn't been updated in over 3 years, it's very out of date.

What's the problem with your current router, and what do you need the next one to do?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to post about this, but I don't see a VPN thread and I ran a search and didn't see anything relevant,

So whenever I use my vpn I sometimes get flagged by certain websites to do stuff like solve capchas, lately however those same capchas have been happening when I have my vpn off too, specifically with google and youtube, just wanted to know if I've possibly somehow gotten my normal IP flagged as being a "VPN address"
Most of the free VPN services stipulate that your uplink is used as a VPN exit point. Are you using a free service or one of the paid ones?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would guess the browser fingerprint is being stored and google is wondering why sometimes it connects from x location and then other times y.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipdogg posted:

No, it's hasn't been updated in over 3 years, it's very out of date.

What's the problem with your current router, and what do you need the next one to do?

my current router is killing my upload and it seems to be a very common problem with asus routers because if i plug right into my modem I get 40 up like I should be given. But if I'm plugged into the router it drops all the way down to between 1 and 4.

I've installed four different versions of firmware. I've flashed it. I've restored to factory settings. I've installed Merlin to see if that would help, and I'm so frustrated with it that my network admin friend recommended the orbit to me and I went ahead and got them already because with my WFM job I need more juice than whatever the heck is going on with the router.

my boss is checking to see if i can't expense this because of how important a stable internet connection is so here's hoping

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

future ghost posted:

Most of the free VPN services stipulate that your uplink is used as a VPN exit point. Are you using a free service or one of the paid ones?

On top of this, you are also persistently fingerprinted (and stored in a dozen different ways), and your risk score has heightened significantly after you use a lovely VPN.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with multi-building home wireless in a rural environment? This would be for family use, but I recognize that I'm probably going to need a business solution. Apologies if this would be better in a different thread, also.

I want to provide wifi inside four cabins and a garage, all separated by 200-1000 feet. There is no existing cable between any of them other than power and phone from a central point, and it's probably not going to be feasible to run cable because of how rocky the ground is. Line of sight between a couple of the buildings is pretty poor, and cutting down the blocking trees is forbidden by town ordinance.

I'm looking at the TP-Link Pharos gear, but it looks like overkill for what I need. The price seems much more reasonable than I would have expected, though. I also looked at the AirFiber products from Ubiquiti, but they also seem like overkill and much more expensive. I'm really looking for an idea of if I'm even looking at the right products, and any suggestions on other brands or solutions that I can look into that can do wireless backhaul without just being repeaters.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

On top of this, you are also persistently fingerprinted (and stored in a dozen different ways), and your risk score has heightened significantly after you use a lovely VPN.

future ghost posted:

It's Nord

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

you ate my cat posted:

Does anyone have any experience with multi-building home wireless in a rural environment? This would be for family use, but I recognize that I'm probably going to need a business solution. Apologies if this would be better in a different thread, also.

I want to provide wifi inside four cabins and a garage, all separated by 200-1000 feet. There is no existing cable between any of them other than power and phone from a central point, and it's probably not going to be feasible to run cable because of how rocky the ground is. Line of sight between a couple of the buildings is pretty poor, and cutting down the blocking trees is forbidden by town ordinance.

I'm looking at the TP-Link Pharos gear, but it looks like overkill for what I need. The price seems much more reasonable than I would have expected, though. I also looked at the AirFiber products from Ubiquiti, but they also seem like overkill and much more expensive. I'm really looking for an idea of if I'm even looking at the right products, and any suggestions on other brands or solutions that I can look into that can do wireless backhaul without just being repeaters.

No personal experience with it, but others in this thread have recommended a 900mhz wireless solution before. It should meet your needs.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

Perhaps I’m missing something but is there a reason you can’t string shielded cat7 or something along the same lines as the electric/phone? You mention rocky ground but it’s not clear why that’s blocking to me?

But ya, otherwise, point to point 900mhz is usually a good choice for a wireless solution (not WiFi). Ubiquiti has gear for this that I’ve used. I’m sure there’s other stuff but I’m not familiar with it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah you've been logged using literally the shittiest, scummiest, worst VPN packed full of horrible people imaginable. You now have a terrible reputation on whatever google account or browser you've used

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

rufius posted:

Perhaps I’m missing something but is there a reason you can’t string shielded cat7 or something along the same lines as the electric/phone? You mention rocky ground but it’s not clear why that’s blocking to me?

But ya, otherwise, point to point 900mhz is usually a good choice for a wireless solution (not WiFi). Ubiquiti has gear for this that I’ve used. I’m sure there’s other stuff but I’m not familiar with it.

Part of the issue is that these were once separate properties, so power etc is fed from different poles with no cross connect except a quarter mile up at the main road. If these all came off one pole I would definitely consider that. I don't want to run aerial wire between these for aesthetic reasons, but a couple stretches are just straight up stone so I can't bury all of it. Coastal Maine is a real pain in the rear end for this kind of stuff. We had a new combined septic system installed a couple years ago and it was a nightmare.

I'll definitely take another look at the Ubiquiti 900mhz gear and see what other brands I can find. Thanks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh man, woke up with the internet down, got worried that AT&T had finally broken my EAP Proxy setup with my Ubiquiti.

Nope. Turns out the EAP handshake expired after a year of up time.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

you ate my cat posted:

:words: Maine is difficult :words:

I'll definitely take another look at the Ubiquiti 900mhz gear and see what other brands I can find. Thanks!

Ya - that makes sense.

I like Microtik gear too but I’ve never used their wireless stuff: https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems?filter&s=c&f=[%22outdoors%22]#!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

you ate my cat posted:

I'm looking at the TP-Link Pharos gear, but it looks like overkill for what I need. The price seems much more reasonable than I would have expected, though. I also looked at the AirFiber products from Ubiquiti, but they also seem like overkill and much more expensive.

AirMAX, not AirFiber, is the Ubiquiti equivalent of the Pharos.

I've done a few temporary buildings on a business campus with them and they've worked as advertised.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlackMK4 posted:

For Unifi, you'd be on a UDM or USG so that everything integrates with the Unifi controller web application.

With Omada you use their firewall product I think which should also integrate.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Yeah you've been logged using literally the shittiest, scummiest, worst VPN packed full of horrible people imaginable. You now have a terrible reputation on whatever google account or browser you've used

Riiight. so is there a vpn that's generally recommended to not be "the scummiest, shittiest, worst vpn packed full of horrible people imagined"? because the last time I asked a similar question I was recommended Nord. I thought I did a bunch of research before I subbed to it, before that I was recommended PIA which I left because I started hearing about how shady they were too, both were recommended to me and just generally recommended amongst the general VPN lists and threads I've seen.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Riiight. so is there a vpn that's generally recommended to not be "the scummiest, shittiest, worst vpn packed full of horrible people imagined"? because the last time I asked a similar question I was recommended Nord. I thought I did a bunch of research before I subbed to it, before that I was recommended PIA which I left because I started hearing about how shady they were too, both were recommended to me and just generally recommended amongst the general VPN lists and threads I've seen.

They’re all shady. You’re basically betting that they like your money enough to do what they say which is launder your connections.

Depending on your use case, you have other options. You can run your own VPN in AWS or Digital Ocean if the point is to give you a secure connection when on public wifi.

If you’re doing Illegal Things, then that’s harder. You’re basically left to hop between VPN providers.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Ok...
I've done it.
I ordered:
1,000' of cat 6.
10 pack of keystone wallplates with couplers
25 pack of keystone blanks
a grip of network cable boots
a bunch of pass-thru rj45 ends
a crimper tool
an ethernet cable tester
rackmount patch panel
rackmount gigabit 24(?) port switch

My plan is to run it through the attic, wall fish it through walls with no insulation and no fire stops (go go gadget stud finder)

I think for now I will be using my archer a7 as a wired router, and the eeros as wireless access points.
anyone see any bad ideas here?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

No, every commercial one sucks. Mullvad is ethically decent, but you will still get the same captcha problems due to ludicrous amounts of bad actors.

nordvpn, fastestvpn, purevpn, ivacy, avast, etc are all the absolute worst of the worst, from shilling to affiliate spam to etc. All of them are basically lying about "protect yourself on public wifi!!", the only use case is torrenting.

Every VPN list is likely paid shill rubbish.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mullvad and ProtonVPN seem to be the only decent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

otter posted:

Ok...
I've done it.
I ordered:
(stuff)
My plan is to run it through the attic, wall fish it through walls with no insulation and no fire stops (go go gadget stud finder)

I think for now I will be using my archer a7 as a wired router, and the eeros as wireless access points.
anyone see any bad ideas here?

You're good - cabling is the hardest part, everything else can be swapped out later with ease (like that router).

Quick tip: you've got 1000ft of cable - so pull lots extra through (like 3ft) and do the crimping/punchdowns after you've pulled the all cables. There's nothing more frustrating than finding you need to move something and it's locked in place. Also, there's a good chance you can stress damage that first foot of cable pulling it through the wall.