Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/createcraig/status/1420116204270804997?s=20

yeah in case you were wondering these explorer programs are just all you can rape buffets for the cops

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

finally some good news

https://twitter.com/ID10TErrors/status/1420567931369541644?s=20

https://wcyb.com/news/local/charges-dropped-against-31-after-pound-pd-eliminated

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

"We eliminated crime by eliminating the police."

:soupfamily:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We should see things that are good in this thread every now and then
https://twitter.com/corncommunist/status/1421642119974998020?s=19

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

US Berder Patrol posted:

That was done with lethal intent. That thing could 100% have killed that lady. That policeman wanted her dead. Nothing anybody anywhere could say about that shotgun and those shells can change my mind.

USMC riot course teaches a minimum distance for those that is a lot further away than that.

This is your, probably monthly reminder, that Marines doing a NEO in a now hostile country are held to a higher standard than police.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Steezo posted:

USMC riot course teaches a minimum distance for those that is a lot further away than that.

This is your, probably monthly reminder, that Marines doing a NEO in a now hostile country are held to a higher standard than police.

This has always been the case as far as any of us have been in, though enforcement has varied. Military ROEs usually has the word "minimum" in there somewhere when it comes to unarmed people/civilians. Civilian police instead have the "reasonable" standard, which you can drive a bearcat with a punisher skull through. The idea that an officer has a duty to assume any risk always gets shot down in court no matter how insane the flipside of that implication is- that the public assumes the risk.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

One of the test questions to be on the road (or gate) as an MP on Quantico was about someone with a gun running across a golf course, do you shoot? The answer was no, because there's a neighborhood behind the golf course and there's no reason to believe they're a threat.

Then at Yuma someone ran a gate, ran into some bushes with an air soft gun, pointed it at MPs and begged them to kill him. He was arrested.

Then I became an actual cop and holy poo poo man, say what you will about MPs, we were lovely, but a lot more people would be alive if the 2000's standards of MPs was the status quo in policing today. Police have lost the loving plot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Lest we get too excited about how awesome mil folks are, only one person stood trial for the Hadetha massacre and served no prison time. The NCO accused of murdering multiple unarmed civilians by his peers was found guilty of a single count of dereliction of duty and was reduced in rank.

An Army Lieutenant kidnapped an Iraqi, stripped him naked, and shot him in the head while conducting an unordered “solo interrogation.”

He was sentenced to prison and paroled after less than five years served. He has since been fully pardoned.

Plus pretty much any adult male who gets killed by a bomb is de facto considered the enemy unless there is very good evidence otherwise. (Lots of work goes into targeting, less so into verifying no civilians were hit)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Lest we get too excited about how awesome mil folks are, only one person stood trial for the Hadetha massacre and served no prison time. The NCO accused of murdering multiple unarmed civilians by his peers was found guilty of a single count of dereliction of duty and was reduced in rank.

An Army Lieutenant kidnapped an Iraqi, stripped him naked, and shot him in the head while conducting an unordered “solo interrogation.”

He was sentenced to prison and paroled after less than five years served. He has since been fully pardoned.

Plus pretty much any adult male who gets killed by a bomb is de facto considered the enemy unless there is very good evidence otherwise. (Lots of work goes into targeting, less so into verifying no civilians were hit)

Oh yeah the standard is atrocious but I’d still say it’s higher. There has been literally 6 convictions in the last decade for civilian cops for murder iirc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Almost every war crime (not just crime outside of work) conviction of US military members has either been:

1. A bunch of people deciding to very deliberately rape/abuse and/or kill people, while thoroughly documenting and discussing it and making enemies within their own ranks.
2. Some guy completely loses his poo poo and goes on a largely solo rampage of death with zero fig leaf of plausibly acting in official policy.

When unwarranted killings happen outside of that scope, it’s largely either administrative or punished via things like dereliction or failure to follow an order with a comparatively small punishment.

That said: it is good that military members believe they will be held accountable for a bad shoot or abuse. Even if that has not historically been the case. If more people realized the bullshit they can potentially get away with, we would probably have more US mil-committed abuse and murder than we already do.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the difference between cops and troops is that a slightly lower percentage of the latter enlist because they seek to bully and rape and murder

and through the course of your on-the-job training, you arent drummed out by your peers and superiors for not being a rapist bully

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The military has a built in separation between officers and enlisted that I don’t think exists in Copland (correct me if I’m wrong though).

It was like being two different classes of people.

If your CO wouldn’t throw you under the bus in order to save his rear end/career, then you had a better military experience than I did.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yes, organizations that exist to inflict violence are bad.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

boop the snoot posted:

The military has a built in separation between officers and enlisted that I don’t think exists in Copland (correct me if I’m wrong though).

It was like being two different classes of people.

If your CO wouldn’t throw you under the bus in order to save his rear end/career, then you had a better military experience than I did.

There is absolutely a distinction between "admin" / higher ups, and rank and file officers / patrol Sgts.

Chiefs of police have thrown guys under the bus for legal shoots / legit uses of force. It might not happen publicly a lot, but it happens.

According to one guy I know, his chief publicly said he backs his officers, but when privately asked what he'd do if one of his officers was in the right but got bad press from a use of force, the chief said "I won't let my city burn over one officer."

Just like most jobs, the bosses don't give a gently caress about line level workers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

the chief said "I won't let my city burn over one officer."

Just like most jobs, the bosses don't give a gently caress about line level workers.

what are you trying to say here

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm saying pretty much all bosses typically don't give a gently caress about their line level workers. The same happens to be true for most police agencies.

As to what that chief meant, I wasn't there, but I read it as the chief basically saying "even if you're legally in the right in a use of force incident, if it gets bad press and there's a bunch of protests about it, I'm not going to risk having riots in the city over one officer, so I'd throw you under the bus."

That's the way I read it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm saying pretty much all bosses typically don't give a gently caress about their line level workers. The same happens to be true for most police agencies.

As to what that chief meant, I wasn't there, but I read it as the chief basically saying "even if you're legally in the right in a use of force incident, if it gets bad press and there's a bunch of protests about it, I'm not going to risk having riots in the city over one officer, so I'd throw you under the bus."

well thankfully our boys in blue have a strong union to back them up when the liberal police chiefs won't

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So "im not going to have my city burn over one guy" is just the chief version of "im going to change it from the inside"?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

There is absolutely a distinction between "admin" / higher ups, and rank and file officers / patrol Sgts.

Chiefs of police have thrown guys under the bus for legal shoots / legit uses of force. It might not happen publicly a lot, but it happens.

According to one guy I know, his chief publicly said he backs his officers, but when privately asked what he'd do if one of his officers was in the right but got bad press from a use of force, the chief said "I won't let my city burn over one officer."

Do cops fear their commanders the way lower enlisted do?

There’s got to be a fundamental difference somewhere about why mil dudes are able to not get trigger happy like cops. Do all cops go through the same ranks?

We didn’t give a gently caress about SOP. We gave a gently caress about having to deal with the commander (and 1sgt).

E: maybe my military experience is just a combat arms thing.

E: and giving it two seconds of thought, it’s probably training.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 3, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
During my ascension training we did a ROE simulator and the instructors went in on a dude who shot someone throwing a rock at them. What's the cop equivalent, like repeating 'I feared for my life' and a paid vacation?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Riots don’t happen because cops shoot people, riots happen because cops shoot people and they get away with it. See, for example, Rodney King et al.

Chiefs have power over the second, crucial part.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

We didn’t give a gently caress about SOP. We gave a gently caress about having to deal with the commander (and 1sgt).

Cole are you saying the only reason you didn't war crimes was because you were afraid of getting caught

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what the gently caress points are you two dumb fucks trying to make

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Collectively as a platoon, yeah it was probably the threat of getting caught that kept us from war criming. Half the platoon was high as poo poo most of the time.

A quarter of my platoon is in prison for various violent crimes right now, including child molestation and double murder. Some went on to be cops so you know there’s probably a bunch of domestic violence going on.

We were horrible people who didn’t want to deal with the command.

I would probably be a full blown chud if I stayed in the army. Combat arms was a toxic environment.

E: and I hate to say it, but in combat arms I would bet the threat of backlash keeps people from committing war crimes more than the fact that it’s war crimes. Maybe it’s changed in ten years though 🤷‍♂️

E2: one of our squad leaders told us some stories about the Iraq invasion and those were some war criming times for the 101st airborne.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 4, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Eh, it’s a very broad brush to say “combat arms,” when it sounds like you mean Bragg and/or 101st airborne, both of which are specifically out of combat arms norms.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs911-rrWPw

Cops beat up a guy for illegally riding a scooter or something after he lay down on the ground and was handcuffed, then beat up a random bystander in the hotel who started filming it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 18, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs911-rrWPw

Cops beat up a guy for illegally riding a scooter or something after he lay down on the ground and was handcuffed, then beat up a random bystander in the hotel who started filming it.

Here's a better article and video. https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/08/02/criminal-charges-expected-monday-against-miami-beach-officers-after-rough-arrests/

The guy/perp (now victim) apparently either 1) beat the poo poo out of a bike cop (enough to hospitalize him) or 2) ran him over with the scooter (its unclear at this time AFAIK) and then these 5 idiots beat the poo poo out of him in revenge like 14 year old idiots.

They did this when 1) he was completely compliant during the arrest attempt near the elevator, 2) he was already handcuffed, 3) he was compliant, not doing poo poo to anyone, not kicking, spitting, flailing around (not that that would excuse any of their actions, but it would explain them holding his legs down and other measures).

Literally any Sergeant or really any sane officer there should have broken it up. You need 5 guys at the very most for the most strong actively resistant person when you're trying to cuff them (one on each leg, one for each arm, one for cuffs). After they're cuffed they're you're responsibility, and you stop all use of force.

These loving assholes are a disgrace.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Here's a better article and video. https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/08/02/criminal-charges-expected-monday-against-miami-beach-officers-after-rough-arrests/

The guy/perp (now victim) apparently either 1) beat the poo poo out of a bike cop (enough to hospitalize him) or 2) ran him over with the scooter (its unclear at this time AFAIK) and then these 5 idiots beat the poo poo out of him in revenge like 14 year old idiots.

They did this when 1) he was completely compliant during the arrest attempt near the elevator, 2) he was already handcuffed, 3) he was compliant, not doing poo poo to anyone, not kicking, spitting, flailing around (not that that would excuse any of their actions, but it would explain them holding his legs down and other measures).

Literally any Sergeant or really any sane officer there should have broken it up. You need 5 guys at the very most for the most strong actively resistant person when you're trying to cuff them (one on each leg, one for each arm, one for cuffs). After they're cuffed they're you're responsibility, and you stop all use of force.

These loving assholes are a disgrace.

to be clear...

"According to a police report, the officers claimed they were trying to stop Crudup, who was riding a blue scooter last Monday, for illegally parking and said the man struck an officer with the scooter while leaving the scene."

So if anything touched a cop, which is still in doubt, dude just dropped it and ran and the cop tripped over it or touched their shoe.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 18, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Where is the “he injured a cop so bad they had to go to the hospital” detail coming from?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Where is the “he injured a cop so bad they had to go to the hospital” detail coming from?

I mean, they'll go to the hospital specifically to document that they went to the hospital. No actual injury required.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The normal cop apologist

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

A spokesman for the Miami Beach Police Department said the officer who was allegedly struck by the scooter has been released from the hospital with a brace and will need crutches.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

US Berder Patrol posted:

Sgt. Jose "Stompy" Perez is one of the officers relieved of duty

for stomping a guy

Yes, I'm aware. I should've worded it better. I meant that any competent / sane Sergeant should've 1) known better, and 2) stopped it from happening.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat are these the Bad Apples? I thought they were all gone with Chauvin

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So no serious injuries, just pushing the PR story for a sprained ankle? But even then, who cares? The scooter guy could have shot a bunch of cops, it's still totally inappropriate to stomp him after surrendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

CainFortea posted:

I mean, they'll go to the hospital specifically to document that they went to the hospital. No actual injury required.

Exactly. It's a way of trumping charges (e.g., assaulting an officer), getting paid to be at the hospital, and then being able to stay home on paid time off. Cops are such scumbags.

Yes, I'm aware. I should've worded it better. I meant that any competent / sane Sergeant should've 1) known better, and 2) stopped it from happening.

Literally all cops "know better," which is why they assaulted the guy filming them and arrested him on trumped up charges. It's mens rea. The problem is that all the cops cover for each other to prevent any of them from ever being held accountable for their actions. Police departments are just gangs.