Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just got ending E. nier was a really memorable experience when i first played it eleven years ago (ha ha ha oh god i'm so much closer to death), so this was a nice capper. once again i spent far too much time looping through the junk heap knowing that i was only owning myself

as for how the story holds up in retrospect, i think the core cast and message are still stronger than automata but the execution hasn't improved much with time. louise's scenario is definitely the strongest (though also by far the most tedious to replay) because she was innocent and well-intentioned but still doing monstrous things out of that innocence. for the other scenarios, Gretel and P22 are eye-rolling schmaltz, Wendy is just kind of there, and Roc's is effective but also the most contrived

voice work: hard to really compare the niers because of how the lines/context differ, but i preferred jamieson price for the more worn-down lines (still remember the exhausted "sure" he gives after emil dies) and ray chase is totally channeling noctis for the fishing sidequest. the "no one stops" monologue was about equal which is cool, but yuri lowenthal's gideon freakout monologue was way better in gestalt. julie ann taylor's performance as emil was also weaker across the board. not by much! but in gestalt she managed to hit high registers in a way that really got across how emil's mind was cracking until all the horrific poo poo he kept getting caught up in, while most of replicant felt more like she was reading a script. spike spencer still kind of sucked. i get that tyrann is supposed to be more obnoxious than menacing, but in a game with so many A+ maniacal laughs/snarls/screams he could have put a little more pepper sauce on his reads

laura bailey would have been the standout once again even if she didn't have ending E to give her bonus points. giving the Admins the voices of 2B and 9S was also a neat touch

hook is still one of the biggest mysteries of the series and i'm sort of glad he was never expounded on. what was your deal, dude? what hiring manager was out sick the day you and tyrann made it through gestalt interviews? was it the same day they gave a thumbs-up to a dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
tbh I thought Ray Chase was easily the standout of the Replicant cast in terms of voiceover performance, but also it’s not quite a fair contest because Brother Nier has the most material to work with post-timeskip when he gradually becomes more lowkey unhinged compared to, you know, Kaińe’s whole deal of literally having to be constantly surly and emotionally repressed or Ending C happens.

Regardless, the whole cast deserves props since it’s been like ten years for every one but Emil and Replicant was done during the lockdowns. Emil does sound a little worse compared to “that” speech in Automata and the old voiceover clips I’ve see though, but the clips of Kaine and especially Weiss from the old Nier make them sound much less…”distinct”? Like, Old Weiss sounds like they got an understudy that nails the acting part but can’t quite get the “sagely, stuffy old curmudgeon” part down, if that makes sense.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao they just played Song of the Ancients during the Olympics opening ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpraR6keu8

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://twitter.com/emirevans/status/1418575769643610117

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I love Nier’s soundtrack to pieces but it’s kinda hilarious that they used a song from a game where Human Civilization is devastated by disease for the 2020 Olympic Games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i am tim! posted:

I love Nier’s soundtrack to pieces but it’s kinda hilarious that they used a song from a game where Human Civilization is devastated by disease for the 2020 Olympic Games.

Hell yeah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagine 10 years ago being told by a time traveler that Nier music would be at the olympics

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Augus posted:

imagine 10 years ago being told by a time traveler that Nier music would be at the olympics

I'd be pretty relieved, because if there hadn't been something that obviously insane, I might have believed the story about the massive global pandemic.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Augus posted:

One would only assume that it is because Caim fell through the portal and landed on tokyo tower

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mobile game it up for download, apparently opening this afternoon (noon pdt? I’m a little unclear on it)

Edit: it’s almost 5 EST and the game changed its kickoff time to “Afternoon or Evening”

Apparently something isn’t going quite right. Guess I’ll just wait till tomorrow.

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 28, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Mobile game it up for download, apparently opening this afternoon (noon pdt? I’m a little unclear on it)

Edit: it’s almost 5 EST and the game changed its kickoff time to “Afternoon or Evening”

Apparently something isn’t going quite right. Guess I’ll just wait till tomorrow.

It's up now.

I got a 9S and a Virtuous Dignity on my starting 10-roll. This is good since I definitely wasn't going to be willing to do re-rolling nonsense with this (I get the impression that you'd have to redo the download, which would be a huge pain).

edit: Dang, and 2B from the second 10-roll you can do from the starting chapter.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How Gacha is this Gacha game anyway? Does it have a story and an ending or is it an endless grind with a bit of flavour text?

I bounced off SinoAlice hard as I couldn't figure out anything about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

How Gacha is this Gacha game anyway? Does it have a story and an ending or is it an endless grind with a bit of flavour text?

I bounced off SinoAlice hard as I couldn't figure out anything about it.

From what I understand, it actually has a good story, though I doubt it has an ending.

vvv It's actually fairly taxing on my phone graphically; I get noticeable framerate drops if I try the "max" setting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 29, 2021

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
They've put more effort into it than SinoAlice in that it has actual 3d environments as opposed to just selecting things from menus, albeit 3d environments you do not so much "explore" as "move through in one direction" complete with an auto-movement button.

I played through the first chapter which was fun, the combat looks a bit like a mobile XIII with a lot of basic stuff like autoattacks happening automatically while you hit skill buttons. The initial story was like an illustrated Weapon Tale that ends like you would expect a Weapon Tale to end, so that was already better then most of SinoAlice's story.

As far as rerolling goes it's about 5-8 minutes to get to where you can roll (immediately after the opening trailer and when you can move in the first sandy zone) and you start with 15 free rolls. You get more if you rush through the first chapter but it's fast enough that I'm not bothering. Best picks for rerolls are either A2 or 2B from the collab banner, but anything that is a 4* is probably ok if you don't care that much.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Game won’t stop crashing on my latest model iPad Pro, but seems to run fine on my old rear end 6s phone.

Not sure how this happened on a game that’s been out for almost 7 months already.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Game won’t stop crashing on my latest model iPad Pro, but seems to run fine on my old rear end 6s phone.

Not sure how this happened on a game that’s been out for almost 7 months already.

Same here - I can't access the "Exchange" place where you presumably buy stuff with your event currency (and it also just randomly crashes sometimes, but it's 100% of the time with the Exchange).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Did a few rerolls before work but couldn't get any Automata units, so now I'll have to wait till I get home before I keep at it.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Got the game to run once and it seemed interesting, but for the most part it just crashes while trying to load which seems to be a common problem without solution.

It being Nier, I have to wonder if that's by design.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently there's an issue with Android 11.

Which is kind of funny, because it's like making a website and forgetting to test it with the latest version of Chrome or something. It's an extremely obvious issue that would quickly appear during any sort of testing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I've played about 5-6 hours of Nier Reincarnation so far, up to chapter 7 of the main story, which is just past what I'd consider the first big plot revelation the game has in store. For context, I regularly play a few other mobile games, currently Granblue Fantasy and Genshin Impact, and I've played the other Yoko Taro mobile title SinoAlice, so these will colour my review as they're my direct comparison points.

Positives:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the music is pretty great.

The 3d environments look pretty good. They form the basis of the framing plot and are at least an attempt to move past the "pick story missions from a list" structure you see in other mobile titles.

Production values in general are pretty slick, with good animations in combat and good VA. The illustrations of plot segments played between the framing device are really well done and easily the best part of the experience.

Negatives:

If you've played SinoAlice, I want you to picture SinoAlice without any of the coliseum bits. There, we're done. There's going to be PvP I assume eventually but it's currently not active and from what little investigation I've done I doubt it will be the tentpole that SinoAlice's pvp was.

If you haven't played SinoAlice and are approaching this game from the perspective of "I like Nier, would I like this mobile Nier", well... odds aren't great, honestly. The combat mostly runs on auto and progression is summarized as "power up weapons/skills/characters through various auto-battle missions to make Number go up, when Number is high enough you can do these missions that need a certain Number level to complete". It has a stamina system like every generic mobile gacha title. It has a draw system like every generic gacha title. It has weapon/character upgrades and uncaps like every generic gacha title. The draw system is neither the worst nor the best I've seen. The game as a whole pushes no envelopes beyond making the pursuit of Number look more stylish than previous attempts.

I feel like this isn't completely fair to the game but it strikes me less as an attempt to bring a Nier game to mobile formats than an attempt to make a mobile game that can draw on the Nier brand to make money. A slick attempt, with a lot of design aptitude put into it's creation, but the intent is very clear. The plot, so far, has no direct connection to the Nier universe. The plot segments available are perfectly fine on their own but have no real thematic connection to the Nier universe beyond "life can suck and people die", which while common to Nier is not unique to Nier. I honestly think if you stripped the Nier branding from this game it would make absolutely no difference to it's content right now.

This is entirely unrelated to other negatives but is so bizarre it needs to be highlighted - there's a mechanic where six times a day you can choose to watch advertisements for other mobile games, truly awful Zynga level shovelware, in return for draw currency. I've never seen a AAA mobile title (which I am assuming N:R is) do this, ever. It's really offputting and I have no idea why it's in here.

In summation, if you are looking for the next Nier experience, I'd wait until Yoko Taro releases another game on an actual game console. If you are looking to lose all your money to a mobile game, I would suggest Genshin Impact, which at least has the grace to hide it's Profit Engine behind a better game experience.

If you absolutely want to experience everything Yoko Taro does, then you can play Nier Reincarnation for at least a dozen hours or so and get most of it without spending a dime, which is what I would recommend. If you want to spend money, you can buy the soundtrack!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

The adds are really awful. I got one that ended on a fake PayPal login screen. And the rewards for watching them is garbage anyway.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I keep getting an error about the game not being released in my region.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Those poo poo tier game ads and financial scams are all over the mobile game space at the moment. I doubt the game devs or publishers can choose what ads get shown, they just sign up for an ad network and the ads are targeted to games since you're already playing a game and maybe a sucker if you did any IAPs so let's dangle some get rich quick scams in front of you while we're at it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I used all my free gems on the gacha and got nothing interesting so I just deleted it again.

A lucky escape.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meiteron posted:

If you haven't played SinoAlice and are approaching this game from the perspective of "I like Nier, would I like this mobile Nier", well... odds aren't great, honestly. The combat mostly runs on auto and progression is summarized as "power up weapons/skills/characters through various auto-battle missions to make Number go up, when Number is high enough you can do these missions that need a certain Number level to complete".

The combat in this is really bizarre and confusing. Does the player do anything at all other than use one of each character's 3 skills (2 weapon skills + character skill) when they come off cooldown? The skills themselves are also kind of weird and hard to evaluate.

Much better visuals aside, it feels sort of like FGO if FGO had weird confusing skills and no turn-based set-up to strategize around. I feel like making the combat real-time was really dumb for a game where the player's only interaction is selecting one of 2-3 skills.

I was able to do the hardest missions in the Nier Automata collab event and the hardest daily quests just because the game gives you literally thousands of max character XP items so I was able to make 2B and 9S level 60-65 instantly (why do the small/medium/large XP items even exist when they give irrelevantly small amounts of XP and you get thousands of the higher XP ones?).

edit: A question about the game while I'm making this post - what are some good 3* characters? I'm thinking of leveling up this one lady who has a heal staff weapon, just because a heal seems useful, but only have enough resources to get 1 or 2 more characters to a high-ish level.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol I love him

https://www.ign.com/articles/nier-reincarnation-western-downloads-mobile-console-quality

quote:

That being said, when asked how various Nier worlds are linked together for this title, series creator Yoko Taro answered by saying: “It is linked so that Square Enix can make money through gacha,”

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
bought volume 2 of the Automata World Guide, that is a hefty book, can't wait to look through it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I seem to have reached a place in the main plot (near the end of Chapter 3 I think) where my game crashes and I can no longer even start it up (because once it finishes loading I'm still in the place that made me crash for some reason).

Probably one of the most buggy apps I've encountered like this, at least in terms of actual serious bugs.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah I stopped playing after the intro because it keeps crashing after loading and I can't be bothered to reinstall to find out if that does anything. Probably not.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got to chapter...I want to say 8, with only occasional crashes while navigating to menus. An OS update dropped for my phone this morning (Pixel 5), and now the game crashes at the loading screen right after the title screen every time.

It's a shame, because the music and graphics are pretty nice, and I wanted to see where the main plot was going after that first big twist.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It looks nice at least
Just finished the last part of the first story and thought "Yep, that's a Yoko Taro weapon story."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Qylvaran posted:

I got to chapter...I want to say 8, with only occasional crashes while navigating to menus. An OS update dropped for my phone this morning (Pixel 5), and now the game crashes at the loading screen right after the title screen every time.

It's a shame, because the music and graphics are pretty nice, and I wanted to see where the main plot was going after that first big twist.

They apparently released a fix, but I had to manually go to the Play Store to download it. There was an update and after installing it I no longer crash.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If this forum were NIER themed, we'd name the forum for deleted threads "the junk heap"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:grin:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm actually quite liking the nier mobile game; the story's pretty good (i'm up to chapter 6, so about halfway through it seems like) and while it is a typical gacha autobattler, they did a good job making it very pretty to look at, so that's nice. Dunno how much interest i'll have after i clear the main campaign, and I think I'm about to run headfirst into the paywall pretty soon (the game dumps enough enhancement items on you early on to jump your team up to 20k-ish force right out of the gate, but after that it seems like you actually have to grind/pay for improvements), but I can't complain about the price of the entertainment I've received so far.

I'm also a sucker for the fantasy trope of "climbing a weird magical tower" which is mostly what the main campaign is so far, so it's like they made that part of it specifically for me

I would also love to see the odds of actually landing on the 3000 gem marker on the "watch an ad, spin the wheel" thing. so far i've hit 100 exactly once and it's always been either 10 or 30 besides that. I'm guessing the scales are a bit weighted. I'm also getting big decision anxiety on how to actually spend my upgrade items now that i'm running out of them, there's too many currencies in this game and too many things to spend them on, but that's typical for this kind of thing i suppose

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So GDQ recent uploaded a video for Nier 1.22 and Drakengard 1/3, and it turns out that you can use a precise series of jumps to make it into the Lost Shrine during Ending E, which makes the game think you're back on Ending A and spawn you in as post-timeskip Nier if you go back to the village while letting you keep Kaine's Sword.

This has some fun side effects on the rest of the game, like never giving you the 2H Sword and Spear quick swap menus (as the game internally thinks you're still young Nier), and completely breaking Emil in cutscenes, as he still has his Ending E model which doesn't play nicely with his normal animations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

goblin week posted:

Large Gear aren’t real
hello it's 2am and i think about this particular 3 month old post at least once a week and it makes me laugh every time

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

beep by grandpa posted:

hello it's 2am and i think about this particular 3 month old post at least once a week and it makes me laugh every time

In the end I never got them. I turned to running around in the desert to get subdued bracelets instead and had more luck with these.

After all this I was too exhausted mentally to commit myself to the speedrun trophy so I never actually got the platinum so it was all for nothing lmao. The true Nier experience.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goblin week posted:

In the end I never got them. I turned to running around in the desert to get subdued bracelets instead and had more luck with these.

After all this I was too exhausted mentally to commit myself to the speedrun trophy so I never actually got the platinum so it was all for nothing lmao. The true Nier experience.

You can do it in 5-6 hours on the easiest difficulty with basically no effort, you have it in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yoko Taro's next game is...a deckbuilder RPG? Not really my favorite genre but i'll check it out if it comes westward

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-09-niers-yoko-taro-teases-new-card-based-rpg