Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Corden did have that long-running segment which was basically “Ew, people in Asia are disgusting and eat gross food! Tune in again next week for the same loving thing!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

I don’t understand the massive hatred for Corden and Wilson.

It really disturbs me that even relatively progressive websites and podcasters can have this must hatred for people simply because they have annoying mannerisms.

Literally every story of humans interacting with James Corden reveal him to be a smug aggro entitled piece of poo poo. A few examples can be found on his epically derailed reddit AMA from a couple years ago. It radiates off him; I actually feel bad for people who don't "get it" because they clearly don't have a good filter for horrible people.

Rebel Wilson is merely not funny. I don't wish her any specific harm, but she's taking up space which could theoretically be occupied by funny people. In practice she only tends to be cast in things which would have been bad either way.

I don't think there's anything I'm less likely to watch than that Cinderella, but it's fine, it's not for me, and I'm sure it will make a billion dollars internationally so :thumbsup:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Rebel Wilson is merely not funny. I don't wish her any specific harm, but she's taking up space which could theoretically be occupied by funny people. In practice she only tends to be cast in things which would have been bad either way.

Pretty much this. Don't understand why people keep hiring her to be unfunny in comedies, but haven't heard anything bad about her, she seems to enjoy her job, and is being paid a poo poo load to do it, so good for her for living her best life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also to sing really badly in CATS, though she's not to blame for that because that movie hosed up so bad people didn't even notice at first how it hosed up the music too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

She was adequate in that Netflix meta romance movie but I wouldn't recommend it to people except as background watching

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Corden did have that long-running segment which was basically “Ew, people in Asia are disgusting and eat gross food! Tune in again next week for the same loving thing!”

Failed Imagineer posted:

Literally every story of humans interacting with James Corden reveal him to be a smug aggro entitled piece of poo poo. A few examples can be found on his epically derailed reddit AMA from a couple years ago. It radiates off him; I actually feel bad for people who don't "get it" because they clearly don't have a good filter for horrible people.

Ok, that I can get behind. Being an rear end in a top hat and causing harm are the only justified reasons to hate someone IMHO.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also he just got that Backpfeifengesicht

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, that I can get behind. Being an rear end in a top hat and causing harm are the only justified reasons to hate someone IMHO.

I think you're conflating harsh distaste with actual hatred. I don't think anyone here is calling for Corden's death or imprisonment, we're all just incredibly frustrated that we are continually presented with his face and voice and shtick. The dude sucks rear end and we want him to stop being on our screens

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My first exposure to corden was Gavin and Stacey and he wasn't too bad there, but it's probably because he was playing an over the top dumbass and I didn't realise he wasn't really acting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

James Corden is aggressively anti-comedy and I long for the days of Craig Ferguson in that time slot.
He’s just awful and irritating and I feel like he had some blackmail on TV execs for him to appear out of nowhere and suddenly have a late night show after not really doing much beforehand in the US.

Then again the same thing happened with Trevor Noah who is also terrible so I don’t know.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How are y'all running into James Corden at all? Do you watch late night broadcast TV with your parents?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ALFbrot posted:

I think you're conflating harsh distaste with actual hatred. I don't think anyone here is calling for Corden's death or imprisonment,

I am formally calling for his imprisonment awaiting execution

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the UN should designate a deserted island for quarantining the world's unfunny assholes. give them modern utilities and facilities but make everything aggressive mediocre, like purgatory in "the good place"

in other words I think Corden should be cordoned off from society, hah

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm a bit torn on this Unfunny rear end in a top hat Island concept, because as much as I think Josh Gad is anti-charm, that's utilized well in Avenue 5.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s just awful and irritating and I feel like he had some blackmail on TV execs for him to appear out of nowhere and suddenly have a late night show after not really doing much beforehand in the US.

This still confuses me. Did some exec just google "worst British comedian" so they could get a leno with a British accent or something?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then again the same thing happened with Trevor Noah who is also terrible so I don’t know.

Trevor Noah just seems pretty bland. And there are so many other bland comedian presenting stuff on tv that eh. Also importantly he doesnt seem like a major jerk. (please don't tell me he's actually a major jerk. :( )

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Klowner posted:

the UN should designate a deserted island for quarantining the world's unfunny assholes. give them modern utilities and facilities but make everything aggressive mediocre, like purgatory in "the good place"

in other words I think Corden should be cordoned off from society, hah

You do realize now you've said this, if this actually happened this would be monkey pawed and you 100% would end up marooned on this island?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dr_rat posted:

You do realize now you've said this, if this actually happened this would be monkey pawed and you 100% would end up marooned on this island?

jokes on you bitch, I get to live rent-free on an island all to myself

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Klowner posted:

Another well intentioned UN mission ending in bloodshed. :smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Worst British import was Piers Morgan. I’d really like to know who signed off on that, and why.

I’ve avoided Corden for the most part because he seems like a worse celebrity suck-up than Fallon, and the latter is already unwatchable.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are amplified white noise used to drown out conversation. They are stuffing crammed in to hide how everything has been hollowed out. They are the inert gas pumped in to euthanize our culture. Their purpose is to take up space.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Klowner posted:

With James Corden

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Casimir Radon posted:

Worst British import was Piers Morgan. I’d really like to know who signed off on that, and why.

He's a genuine psychopath in the old 'sociopathic monster' meaning who would say or do anything to create shock or push his master's narrative. I mean, the guy quite literally interfered with and deleted evidence in the murder of a child so that he could find out details to publish; and faked evidence of soldiers torturing prisoners in Iraq, directly endangering the lives of service personnel.

Of course he fits in the US media landscape.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ellen Degeneres at least did a good job in Finding Nemo and its sequel.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You would think after corden and rebel Wilson trashed their own film publicly in the Oscar's the industry would hesitate to hire them for any film role again

The people they insulted were not the people with power over casting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trevor Noah was very much a case of literally everyone else said no.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

duz posted:

Trevor Noah was very much a case of literally everyone else said no.
I just remember being so confused that this guy who had just arrived was the one who became the host. It makes more sense that nobody else wanted to do it and the others who might have also mostly got better offers from cable

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Coen Brothers are apparently splitting up.

https://nofilmschool.com/coens-on-a-break

quote:

I'm so used to typing "the Coen Brothers" that I forget at times they are two individual people with their own artistic interests. Well, the upcoming The Tragedy of Macbeth was written and directed by only Joel Coen, making it his first solo outing.

Ethan Coen told the Los Angeles Times in 2019 that he was “giving movies a rest” in order to explore things like plays and other ventures.

But now, the brothers' longtime composer Carter Burwell said on a recent episode of the “Score” podcast that Ethan is done with movies for a while, and that the two brothers were going their separate ways.

He elaborated, saying, “Ethan just didn’t want to make movies anymore. Ethan seems very happy doing what he’s doing, and I’m not sure what Joel will do after this. They also have a ton of scripts they’ve written together that are sitting on various shelves. I hope maybe they get back to those. I’ve read some of those, and they are great. We are all at an age where we just don’t know… we could all retire. It’s a wonderfully unpredictable business.”

My heart stopped a little at the idea of any or all of them retiring, but I get it. Working in this town is getting harder and harder, especially with studios favoring intellectual property and tentpoles. The Coens are no strangers to working with streamers, having released The Ballad of Buster Scruggs onto Netflix.

Joel Coen's The Tragedy of Macbeth will follow suit, but this time with Apple TV+. A24 is producing the movie, which will be theatrically released by A24 followed by global launch on Apple TV+. It will have its world premiere at the 2021 New York Film Festival on September 24, 2021.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Rebel Wilson was about to do a movie sending up Kpop where they said "oh hey these guys used to be considered ugly but now they are hot?"

so she's at least baseline australian

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I always forget which one wrote Garfield, but good luck to him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1422731003760680966

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I always forget which one wrote Garfield, but good luck to him.

https://collider.com/bill-murray-garfield-the-coen-brothers/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rebel Wilson successfully suing a tabloid for accurately reporting that she lied about her age and upbringing was a huge mindfuck for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Rebel Wilson successfully suing a tabloid for accurately reporting that she lied about her age and upbringing was a huge mindfuck for me.

While it is definitely dumb that she could sue someone for reporting the truth it isn't exactly a huge surprise that a woman in the acting business is lying about her age. Since a lot of movie executives seem to think once a woman turns 35 she's only good for mom roles and is no longer a valid love interest for your 50 year old male actor.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Vegetable posted:

this sounds less like a split and more like ethan being happy and content with his theatre projects and wanting to focus time on that over movies

i hope he does well if he goes that route. the coen brothers have had a pretty stellar run.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Please tell me there is a grocery store gossip rag trying to capitalize on the ~drama~ with poorly photoshopped pictures of them glaring angrily at each other. I'd buy it!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just remember being so confused that this guy who had just arrived was the one who became the host. It makes more sense that nobody else wanted to do it and the others who might have also mostly got better offers from cable

I remember thinking at the time that John Oliver and Samantha Bee had to be pissed that Stewart decided to retire right after they left to do their own shows, but honestly their own shows are probably better fits for them as hosts (though I haven't really seen a lot of Samantha Bee's show and she kind of lost me after making GBS threads on Bernie Sanders supporters for months for supposedly being pro-Trump and then going directly to trying to rehabilitate Glenn Beck).

I remember Rob Corddry filling in for Stewart once and thinking he made a good host.

Also, looking it up now, I had completely forgotten that Stewart's final guest was Louis C.K.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I definitely don't remember that either...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Please tell me there is a grocery store gossip rag trying to capitalize on the ~drama~ with poorly photoshopped pictures of them glaring angrily at each other. I'd buy it!!

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1422735932214501377?s=21

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vegetable posted:

Sad to hear, but at least I found out I have another film to add to The List:

-Dune
-The Northman
-Benedetta
-Many Saints of Newark
-The French Dispatch
-Mad God
-Lamb
-The Tragedy of Macbeth (**NEW**)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Corden got Obama on his show to reveal aliens to guarantee no one would believe that they exist.

I'd say imprisonment is justified at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Live action Ninja Turtles is apparently doing the same thing WB is doing with DC because Paramount just announced a new Bay-produced movie written by SNL's Colin Jost (ScarJo's husband) and his brother, which is separate from the movie Seth Rogen is producing.

Maybe this means they will make a sequel to Transformers The Last Knight after all.