Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BrigadierSensible posted:

This always reminds me of the 90s Flash TV series. Apparently when DC was in negotiations with the TV network, the Network suits asked if they could lose the red suit.

The DC people looked at each other, and then left the room without saying another word. With the TV execs having to chase them to get them back to the table.

Oh I read a good one like this recently. Bob Weinstein, EP on the Lord of the Rings movies, was going over the script before they started filming like, "hey you got all these Hobbits here, you should kill one of them off. Don't care which one, obviously that's your choice, but definitely you should kill one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Collateral: if you are this super professional assassin, wouldn't you have planned things better than relying on some wildcard cab driver? Yeah you're good at killing, but why rope some random civilian in to your plan? And if you're going to try and frame the cab driver, maybe don't go do a personal introduction tour with his family. We're supposed to believe that this guy is the pinnacle of assassin, the best you can buy, but it's like this is his first time hiring a murder taxi.

Fanning makes mention of a taxi driver up in San Francisco(?) that went on a shooting spree before killing himself, which is to imply Vincent's M.O. is to get cabbies to drive him around like he does with Max before offing them.

Vincent getting chummy with Max is definitely weird in retrospect. I think Vincent doing all these things (like going with Max to see his mom in the hospital) was to ensure that there's no break from Max's routine which could arouse suspicion, but then again Vincent doesn't know Max's routine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaunab posted:

I liked season 3 of Daredevil enough but them backing away from the red suit always passed the hell out of me. I hate it when the people behind superhero shows feel embarrassed by key points in superhero mythos. I get it, the character doesn't need the costume to be a hero but I want to see them in the costume because it's loving iconic!

Him being a character that's existed for over half a century, I'm betting that crisis of faith is something they revisit about as often as Spider-Man origin stories or Batman's parents getting shot in a movie.

Keromaru5 posted:

I think it's all part of superhero media's ongoing inability to get over the Adam West Batman. Anything that might remind people of "Biff Bam Pow" is suspect. Gotta make it look like you're better than all that.

Compare to, say, Ultraman, where whenever an old Ultra appears, they look pretty much exactly like they did in their original show. In last year's Ultra Galaxy Fight, some of them even had the same fabric. So you had Ultras in modified scuba outfits alongside Ultras in spandex.

I'm sure people are more than willing to roll with anything now. Like, Supergirl and Superman used to have pets, bring those back, it's not the first time we've had talking animal aliens in a movie there's not a huge hurdle of believability to get people over at this point. King Kong and Godzilla had a fight and we called that an equivalent matchup that might go one way or the other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This always reminds me of the 90s Flash TV series. Apparently when DC was in negotiations with the TV network, the Network suits asked if they could lose the red suit.

The DC people looked at each other, and then left the room without saying another word. With the TV execs having to chase them to get them back to the table.

Although at the time I bet John Wesley Shipp (who played said Flash) probably wished they had ditched it. That costume was terrible to actually wear as it was so difficult to remove that once in it he couldn't take it off until they were done filming for the day.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RareAcumen posted:

Him being a character that's existed for over half a century, I'm betting that crisis of faith is something they revisit about as often as Spider-Man origin stories or Batman's parents getting shot in a movie.
Let's just say when Catholic Twitter wants to talk about superheroes, it's him, the Punisher, or Nightcrawler.

Speaking of which, are there any adaptations of X-Men where Nightcrawler manages to be both openly Catholic and a fun-loving swashbuckler?

quote:

I'm sure people are more than willing to roll with anything now. Like, Supergirl and Superman used to have pets, bring those back, it's not the first time we've had talking animal aliens in a movie there's not a huge hurdle of believability to get people over at this point. King Kong and Godzilla had a fight and we called that an equivalent matchup that might go one way or the other.
Believe me, I think the world's been ready for a new campy cinematic Batman for years now, if the studios and DC brass would just give it a chance.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC the animated Batman series The Brave & the Bold allowed forays into the more silly aspects of Batman's history.

Alas, Joel Schumacher's Batman movies truly killed the possibility of having a campy live-action Batman film. Shame too as I enjoyed how ridiculous they were.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rip off spiderverse with batman, you cowards

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The best TBatB episode wasn't even about Batman.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, ask and you shall receive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndzAzcUqkDI

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Rip off spiderverse with batman, you cowards

They already made the Lego Batman movie that pretty much fills this niche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Keromaru5 posted:

It is. I was never the biggest fan of DBZ, but I do sometimes say, "What the hfil?" to myself.

Plus it is technically an accurate description of hell.

I always thought HFIL is where all the henchmen and petty crooks get sent while the real villains get personalised treatment.

Also, Dragon Ball Super established HFIL as canon.

Keromaru5 posted:

Let's just say when Catholic Twitter wants to talk about superheroes, it's him, the Punisher, or Nightcrawler.

Speaking of which, are there any adaptations of X-Men where Nightcrawler manages to be both openly Catholic and a fun-loving swashbuckler?

I've said before that one of the weirder quirks of superhero comics is that pretty much all Catholic superheroes either look like demons, dress like demons or literally are demons.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I mean if you're a demon you basically have to admit the Catholics have a point

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

Fanning makes mention of a taxi driver up in San Francisco(?) that went on a shooting spree before killing himself, which is to imply Vincent's M.O. is to get cabbies to drive him around like he does with Max before offing them.

Vincent getting chummy with Max is definitely weird in retrospect. I think Vincent doing all these things (like going with Max to see his mom in the hospital) was to ensure that there's no break from Max's routine which could arouse suspicion, but then again Vincent doesn't know Max's routine.

Haven't seen the film, so I'm just spitballing here, but is there an element of "If you don't do what I say, I can go after your family"?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Haven't seen the film, so I'm just spitballing here, but is there an element of "If you don't do what I say, I can go after your family"?

There’s absolutely an element of loving with Max’s head.

The whole ending of the movie is Vincent having his favorite plan he does every time falling apart, and that for all his talk of how he’s always improvising he’s as much a slave to routine as Max is. The whole reason he dies in the end is because he uses the same shots he’s used the whole night, which get stopped by the closing doors. Max just wings it and sprays wildly and gets a hit in through the windows

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wa kind of bummed they had Bullseye use Matt's suit because I really wanted to see Netflix' take on the Bullseye costume.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well how about that. And all I wanted my unnecessary griping to get across is that we've done weirder premises for movies before already, bring back the dumb poo poo again like the Thanos Copter and people trying to figure out how to wash tire tracks off their windows.

BiggerBoat posted:

I wa kind of bummed they had Bullseye use Matt's suit because I really wanted to see Netflix' take on the Bullseye costume.

I was more bewildered by how it suddenly made Bullseye invincible, since that certainly wasn't the case in any of the earlier seasons when Matt was wearing it.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

bring back the dumb poo poo again like the Thanos Copter

I know it's not really what you're asking for but episode 5 of Loki did have it in background when he ends up in the area full of stuff from deleted timelines

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wasnt thanos’ double bladed sword in Endgame a reference to the Thanos Copter?

E:yep, it was

https://webbedmedia.com/2019/05/07/thanos-endgame-weapon-is-based-on-the-infamous-thanos-copter/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Collateral: if you are this super professional assassin, wouldn't you have planned things better than relying on some wildcard cab driver? Yeah you're good at killing, but why rope some random civilian in to your plan? And if you're going to try and frame the cab driver, maybe don't go do a personal introduction tour with his family. We're supposed to believe that this guy is the pinnacle of assassin, the best you can buy, but it's like this is his first time hiring a murder taxi.

I thought part of Vincent's motivation with getting chummy with Max was to make him believe if he did what he was told he'd be allowed to live. Of course Vincent was planning to shoot him at the end of the night but if that became too obvious early there was a risk Max would do something desperate like crash intentionally.

Also part of Vincent's character is he's lonely and wants human contact. Some of his actions like chatting with the jazz club manager or Max's mom aren't necessary but make more sense if Vincent is likely to only be in LA as long as necessary then would fly out immediately and probably doesn't have anyone else to talk to.

Taken as a whole yeah it doesn't make sense Vincent wouldn't drive himself, considering the level of planning involved he could manage figuring out a map rather than involving a random civilian. Although in the movie's universe his plan to use a taxi driver has worked at least once before and has the advantage of giving the cops a dead suspect. Maybe it's workable with one or two targets but not like five or six.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andos El Pantos posted:

I know it's not really what you're asking for but episode 5 of Loki did have it in background when he ends up in the area full of stuff from deleted timelines

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasnt thanos’ double bladed sword in Endgame a reference to the Thanos Copter?

E:yep, it was

https://webbedmedia.com/2019/05/07/thanos-endgame-weapon-is-based-on-the-infamous-thanos-copter/

Well poo poo, this is both news to me.

Now all we need is for them to re-saturate the color palate and never go for 'British sky' as a reference again and I'll be back into it!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, Dragon Ball Super established HFIL as canon.
That is beautiful.

quote:

I've said before that one of the weirder quirks of superhero comics is that pretty much all Catholic superheroes either look like demons, dress like demons or literally are demons.
I do think it's pretty neat that in My Hero Academia, there's a presumably Christian heroine whose powers are based on the Crown of Thorns.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My wife and I got high the other night and started jokingly fantasizing about starting a new church based on the anime version of Catholicism. I'd be a Christian in a second if it was anywhere near as cool as Japanese anime thinks it is. Come join the Church of Anime Christianity, with a side of Warhammer 40,000.

I wonder if Hindus, Buddhists, and Shintoists feel the same way about western sci-fi/fantasy inspired by their local religions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just watched "The Resort". I kind of liked how one of the characters verbally acknowledged that "this is the part of horror movies that always pisses me off" or something and I thought hey, maybe someone will be smart for once in a horror movie and get out safe before the ghosts get all juiced up.

of course he ignores his instincts and follows them back into the haunted resort at night instead of going to the boat, which was their only way off the island. They all die because one of the girls can't just leave her drat backpack in the ghost room. You can get new passports and ID, this was Hawaii not a foreign nation where that would be a little more difficult. You can't get unhaunted.

The best thing I can say about the movie is the runtime was short

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Len posted:

The best thing I can say about the movie is the runtime was short

Yeah that was actually one of the reasons I decided to give it a chance, thinking "well if it sucks at least it's short". Honestly I thought it had potential at first as kind of like a island-themed grave encounters, but they botched the setup and execution. Call me crazy but I think it would have been better if it was done as a found footage movie instead of having half the movie being drone shots of the island scenery. All that time spent ineffectively building up for basically one 2 minute spooky basement scene and the most predictable ending in a horror movie I've seen in a while.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I read a review after finishing it and if you look at the cast there's a bunch of cut roles including a "bookstore ghost" so maybe they cut leadup to the final bits because they knew it was bad and needed to keep it short?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Well poo poo, this is both news to me.

Now all we need is for them to re-saturate the color palate and never go for 'British sky' as a reference again and I'll be back into it!

This is supposed to be the end of all time, a dystopia where the only things that exist are a giant monster to eat everything and things to get eaten so I think it can be pardoned for not being cheery. The rest of the series is super colorful.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Collateral:

Vincent's original plan was to just have Max drive him around all night and never be the wiser, probably even letting him live, but once the dead body falls on his cab he has to change things up. I guess he could kill Max but probably wants to avoid killing people he doesn't have to because it draws heat and also like someone else said Vincent's lonely and starved for human interaction and he likes Max because he's good at his job like Vincent is. And he already knows that Max's personality is somewhat non-confrontational from when he was testing him earlier by mildly insulting LA. Plus then there'd be no movie.

Edit: As far as Max's mom is concerned, all she knows is Vincent was another of Max's "clients", he had a bunch more fares that night as well so it's not like he would be the obvious first suspect. And what would they have to go on anyways, "average white guy with gray hair and gray suit and a briefcase".

Human Tornada has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Aug 4, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Human Tornada posted:

And what would they have to go on anyways, "average white guy with gray hair and gray suit and a briefcase".

Swear the dude looked just like Tom Cruise tho.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ash is a lich, his baseball hat is his phylactery. If you directed your pokemon to knock his hat off and they did it you would see his true form, a grinning skeleton animated only by the desire to Win. be the very best, like no one ever was.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Human Tornada posted:

Collateral:

Vincent's original plan was to just have Max drive him around all night and never be the wiser, probably even letting him live, but once the dead body falls on his cab he has to change things up. I guess he could kill Max but probably wants to avoid killing people he doesn't have to because it draws heat and also like someone else said Vincent's lonely and starved for human interaction and he likes Max because he's good at his job like Vincent is. And he already knows that Max's personality is somewhat non-confrontational from when he was testing him earlier by mildly insulting LA. Plus then there'd be no movie.

Edit: As far as Max's mom is concerned, all she knows is Vincent was another of Max's "clients", he had a bunch more fares that night as well so it's not like he would be the obvious first suspect. And what would they have to go on anyways, "average white guy with gray hair and gray suit and a briefcase".

I'd disagree he was going to let him live, there's a scene where police note the same thing happened before and at the end of the night the cabbie was dead after he appeared to have gone on a mysterious crime spree. Agreed Max is passive and doesn't look for trouble but if police started asking "hey why was your cab at the scene of all these murders that are a catastrophic embarrassment for law enforcement" he'd have no reason to protect Vincent.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In my mind the other incident that is mentioned happened because the cabbie discovered what Vincent was up to and he took him hostage same as Max. It seems unlikely that Vincent offed every cab driver and framed him for the job every time he had a contract. Most of these locations probably get dozens of identical cabs visiting a night so I don't think he would be too worried about the LAPD making too much out of that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

This is supposed to be the end of all time, a dystopia where the only things that exist are a giant monster to eat everything and things to get eaten so I think it can be pardoned for not being cheery. The rest of the series is super colorful.

Oh no, I don't mean that one screenshot, I was more talking about the movies in general looking kinda washed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWYtXtmEFQ

If you wanna do a 'shellshocked, character is at low health after being blown through a wall or feet away from an explosion' scene with them struggling to get to their feet or whatever reason then by all means go for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea there's a few advantages for Vincent in having a cab drive him around. First, like others have said it provides a ready made suspect for police to latch onto if things go bad, all Vincent has to do is make it look like a suicide and leave the gun in the cabbie's hands for the cops to find.

Second, it's less traceable and less risky than almost any other option. Renting a car requires documentation and probably would involve security cameras catching you going in and out of the rental place. Stealing a car comes with it's own risks. Obviously using a car that is actually your own isn't smart. So having a guy who has no idea who you are, who takes cash, and who drives a car that looks identical to tons of other cabs that are constantly driving around the city at all hours, is really the safest and most predictable and controllable scenario.

Vincent and Max are really well written characters. At the beginning when Max explains his business plan, Vincent immediately is thinking ok this is a loser who never does anything risky in life. He never steps off that cliff and risks it all for the chance at hitting the home run, he'd rather drive this cab and daydream about all the stuff he could've done. And that's perfect for Vincent, that's exactly the type of guy he wants driving him around because he won't step out of line.

But Vincent has natural curiosity about people and can't help himself, so he pushes Max and challenges him throughout the movie to become someone who actually does things. I get the feeling that Vincent deep down hopes that Max will change, because maybe that means Vincent can become something other than an empty husk of a person. He's looking for Max to show him that life isn't as futile as he thinks it is. And then of course Max does just that, but in doing it Vincent ends up dead.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Aug 4, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also reminder that Jason Stathams cameo in Collateral is meant to be the Transporter.

Maybe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Swear the dude looked just like Tom Cruise tho.

Apparently as prep for the role Cruise spent a day delivering packages, with only a hat and sunglasses as a disguise, and didn't get recognized once

Of course Tom Cruise says a lot of things

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phy posted:

Apparently as prep for the role Cruise spent a day delivering packages, with only a hat and sunglasses as a disguise, and didn't get recognized once

There's a similar apocryphal story about Marilyn Monroe being able to "turn it off" and have no one notice her in public. TBH if you're dressed down, out of makeup, and just passing people in the street I wouldn't be surprised that you could pull it off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phy posted:

That was in the DVD extras as part of his training stuff and IIRC that even had a clip from the training crew filming him from a distance having lunch with a guy who had no idea.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Tbf have you seen, for example, Zooey Deschanel without her bangs?

I would have absolutely no idea that this was the same person.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On a similar note of "celebrities dressing down to go incognito in public", apparently Cassandra "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" Peterson and Dolly Parton can put on regular clothes & not do makeup and are near-indistinguishable as their public personas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Tbf have you seen, for example, Zooey Deschanel without her bangs?

I would have absolutely no idea that this was the same person.

I remember this making the rounds with "this is why Clark Kent gets away with being Superman" appended to it, before that gif of Christopher Reeve just standing up straight and taking his glasses off replaced it