Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I was thinking about the Houston oilers move to Nashville, and the couple years they played in Memphis while the stadium was being built where no one came to their games and were struggling to make new fans, for no particular reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Part of me thinks that Kronke so willingly agreed to pay out Goffs Guarantees and trade him away because another season of exciting young Herbert versus Goff would be bad for developing a fan base.

Oh for sure. I believe in Stafford but I mean it's hard to get excited for a 33 year-old QB coming to town no matter how good he is. You don't discover Justin Herberts every day, the Rams need to draft a QB and get lucky long-term or hope the Chargers' new coach sucks. The fact that he just last year helped guide the Rams defense to 1st in points and total yards allowed last season probably gives them some doubt in that regard.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1422950181088206856?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

joe judge might be the best football coach of all time

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's a parody account lol

https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1422976883621249028?s=20

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

big Schillinger vibes in that last tweet

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nfl.com reporting it --

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1422985264083791872?s=20

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yeah the retirement is real but everything else is fake. This account keeps fooling people lol

https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1422584186951643136?s=20
https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1422232134438244357?s=20
https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1421154709474263042?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
WFT banned face paint at head dresses at the games. Can't wait to see the measured and calm, understanding responses to this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Glass bone disease, lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shinjobi posted:

Glass bone disease, lmao

yeah the account seems to be getting funnier

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ehud posted:

Yeah the retirement is real but everything else is fake. This account keeps fooling people lol

https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1422584186951643136?s=20

That guy uses such a perfect avatar and name it's so easy to believe he's legit when he doesn't go over the top. Hats off to that excellent trolling.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
A sack on third down isn't that valuable. The most valuable sack is on second down and second most is on first down. This is assuming all are 10 yards to go and doesn't include 4th down. Just a random thought I had while birding today.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kawalimus posted:

A sack on third down isn't that valuable. The most valuable sack is on second down and second most is on first down. This is assuming all are 10 yards to go and doesn't include 4th down. Just a random thought I had while birding today.

I’m sorry what.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

care to elaborate?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can we make that the thread title?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Some of us like to watch birds. Others like to dress up in fur suits. Please don't kink shame.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m sorry what.

His tale begins with a Trent Dilfer check down to Shannon Sharpe in 2000 and is slightly longer than John Galt speech.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ah love to have hope for the offense before Pete gets his hands on it

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1422380261736595459?s=19

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Kawalimus posted:

Any stop at least a couple yards short of the sticks on third down is more valuable than a first or second down sack lmao

Did this thought pop in your head when you saw some cuckoos?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Any stop at least a couple yards short of the sticks on third down is more valuable than a first or second down sack lmao

Did this thought pop in your head when you saw some cuckoos?

No I'm talking specifically about sacks. So on third down you can have a successful play that doesn't have to be a sack. Unless it's a safety or something it doesn't really matter if you get the sack or not assuming they don't go for it on 4th and they punt. On first down a sack is good but they have second down still to make it third and manageable so sometimes the sack is offset. The second down sack though is the best sack. That's the sack that puts them in third and long which is a tough down to work from, again assuming you aren't going for it on 4th.

All sacks are good. But the second down sack is by far the best one.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

No I'm talking specifically about sacks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Of course, this implies that a 2nd down sack is a significant one and is equal to or greater in yardage lost than what was made up on 1st down.

A 1st down play that gets you 9 yards but letting a 2nd down sack of 1 yard leaves 3rd and 2.

The one positive thing about a 1st down sack is that it's likely the offense has a passing down on 2nd to make up the lost yardage, which the defense can scheme for easier.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Watching a sack on 2nd that's followed up by a long 3rd down conversion is a huge kick in the balls, conversely watching a drive killing sack on the 3rd owns.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Checks out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rtant-position/

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Watching a sack on 2nd that's followed up by a long 3rd down conversion is a huge kick in the balls, conversely watching a drive killing sack on the 3rd owns.

Yeah but those 3rd and long conversions are rare. So with that 2nd down sack it's like losing two downs in one. That third down sack is also great!! But an incomplete pass also does the same thing.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

WFT banned face paint at head dresses at the games. Can't wait to see the measured and calm, understanding responses to this.

i'm sure the three fans they have at home games will be hopping mad

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1423022744279547907

I hate it when you get rid of a guy and immediately need the guy back

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah but those 3rd and long conversions are rare. So with that 2nd down sack it's like losing two downs in one. That third down sack is also great!! But an incomplete pass also does the same thing.

not if the third down sack takes them out of field goal range...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

bows1 posted:

not if the third down sack takes them out of field goal range...

I'm not factoring in stuff like that. Like a sack-fumble and recovery on 3rd down is better than just a sack on 2nd. But you can come up with a million situations like what if the sack on 2nd is just a one yard. I'm talking in a general sense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A third down sack is always going to be more valuable because you’ve effectively priced in the fact that the the defense kept the offense from converting on 1st and 2nd down.

The best sacks are fourth down sacks though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best sacks are sack lunches, like the kind Kelvin Benjamin stole from the Giants cafeteria.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ve seen Big Ben eat a 2nd down sack only to shrug off two defenders and convert 3rd-and-16 enough times to know this is bullshit

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^that's because we have the Ravens who had an abysmal 3rd and long defense for a while. And Pittsburgh has those good wideouts. So it's kind of an outlier situation.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A third down sack is always going to be more valuable because you’ve effectively priced in the fact that the the defense kept the offense from converting on 1st and 2nd down.

The best sacks are fourth down sacks though.

That makes them less valuable to me though. I'm not factoring in 4th down situations cause those are super heavy in importance on anything. I'm only talking about 1st-3rd and 10 situations in a general sense. So in the second down situation getting a sack for a third and long situation is often like winning two downs in one. You could say that a third and short where a 4th down would have been likely is similar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Look at it this way: Would you rather sack Pat Mahomes on second down or third down?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Look at it this way: Would you rather sack Pat Mahomes on second down or third down?

Second. And then again on third!!!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

This is insanity. If you sack him on third he already didn’t make a first on second and the drive is now probably over!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Kawalimus posted:

So you're just saying getting a sack is better than not getting a sack, got it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^I was joking there.

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is insanity. If you sack him on third he already didn’t make a first on second and the drive is now probably over!

If I had to pick one I'd still pick second but Mahomes is insane and way above anyone else. And even still putting him in a third and 17 or worse is likely to stop the drive even against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Kawalimus posted:

^^I was joking there.

If I had to pick one I'd still pick second but Mahomes is insane and way above anyone else. And even still putting him in a third and 17 or worse is likely to stop the drive even against him.

So if you could choose when your team got a sack it would almost always be 2nd down?