Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

w00tmonger posted:

Moss was so loving good. Haven't seen another game pull off what it did, and VR would be a lot more mainstream if there were more of them

Yeah I want more “dollhouse” style games. It just works so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

King Vidiot posted:

I do play standing up, and during that Jeffrey sequence I was also squatting down a lot and got so wrapped up in carefully moving poo poo in the environment that I was moving all over my play space without realizing it. Most of the time, since I'm tethered, I try to stand facing the same direction and move with just the smooth motion controls. But I was all over the space, like crouching near my bookshelf at one point, or turned around completely backwards (had no idea which direction I was facing), etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that HL: A is pretty amazing. And it's kind of a shame that we're not going to see many more experiences like that in VR for a while. It'll probably become the norm some day but right now there's maybe a handful of games that can really absorb you like that.

I do my best to stand in one place, but I like to rotate my actual body instead of using the controls. What did you think of the movement? I played most of it with the regular sliding controls, but the teleporting forward is clearly superior in terms of not dying.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sliding movement feels weird and hosed up to me, it's one of those things that I can't believe others tolerate. Then again, I acquired a balance problem (like, my inner ear is hosed up) just in time for VR to actually happen so :confuoot:

Aside from anything else, Alyx was not only amazing but also absolutely felt like a half life game. It's an incredible achievement.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I do my best to stand in one place, but I like to rotate my actual body instead of using the controls. What did you think of the movement? I played most of it with the regular sliding controls, but the teleporting forward is clearly superior in terms of not dying.

I mean, sliding is slow as gently caress but also I didn't really have an issue with combat using it so... eh? I just use slide and smooth turning, no teleporting except to jump and it seems fine. But I also take advantage of room scale for cover combat as needed.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
My Quest 2 Elite strap finally broke, right as I fired up beat saber after loading it up with custom songs. It was a very early one, no date code, from 2020, so I'm surprised it lasted this long. No warning, literally just fell apart as i went to take it off.

RMA'd, but am checking out the BOBOVR halo strap to see if I prefer it. Looks like it might be tricky to velcro my battery pack to it, though.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

pantsfree posted:

My Quest 2 Elite strap finally broke, right as I fired up beat saber after loading it up with custom songs. It was a very early one, no date code, from 2020, so I'm surprised it lasted this long. No warning, literally just fell apart as i went to take it off.

RMA'd, but am checking out the BOBOVR halo strap to see if I prefer it. Looks like it might be tricky to velcro my battery pack to it, though.

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday, except my elite strap is like 4 months old. New model not really an improvement.

I also ordered the BOBOVR strap to try that while waiting for the whole RMA deal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had a bit of a scare today when I plugged in my index and the lights went red on it again. Futzing about with the cable and its working for now but I swear if I gotta replace this headset a second time I'm gonna be my avatar irl

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is probably the 10000th time this has been posted in this thread, but I think I might be a sleeper cell agent. I just got the Quest 2 update to fix AirLink and learned I can up the resolution, so I did both and loaded up H3VR to test out with better resolution. Loaded up the gun range, grabbed a sniper rifle, and holy poo poo. I've fired real guns before and am good with a .22 but a complete pussy with anything that has more recoil, but I was just clicking targets the whole time at the farthest distance. I've got a hosed up left eye but not enough that I need to wear glasses all the time, but it does require me to rely on my right eye for normal sight. I felt like John Wick for how quick and how accurate I was looking down a scope :psyduck:

I know there's all sorts of specific things for actual shooting, like windspeed and dropoff and not getting your rear end knocked over, but if I can even slightly account for that IRL I might just do clay or long-range rifle shooting for fun.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

pantsfree posted:

You can attach it by looping a small velcro strap through the hole that is used for the (optional) top velcro strap:

It's reasonably secure, though double sided tape can give it a bit more grip at the cost of making it more of a pain to remove and re-attach.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Beastie posted:

If you like that sort of perspective you should check out 'Chronos', 'Edge of Nowhere', 'Witchblood' and 'Lucky's Tale', especially since I've frequently seen them on sale.

They're all 3rd person perspective games, Chronos is a kind of soulslike adventure game with a unique death mechanic, Edge of Nowhere isn't a fixed PoV like the others but its a fun action platformer in a Lovecraft setting. Witchblood is a lot simpler game and shorter than the others (its also like, 8 bucks), its a pretty traditional metroidvania game, but when you say dollhouse, this one is literally a dollhouse in perspective, with everything running around in front of you looking like little dolls in scale. Lucky's Tale was a launch title for the rift and it used to be included free (its now like ~10 bucks or something), but its still a really fun and polished mario 64 style platformer, and the underground sections again do that full on flat in front of you dollhouse look.

Chronos and Edge of Nowhere are still some of my favorite VR experiences. They're relaxing to play when you don't feel like jumping around, beautiful, and engrossing in their worlds.

I'm trying to think of some other 3rd person VR games (on pc at least) besides those and moss that stick out... I know the roguelike 'Legend of Dungeon' had a beta VR mode that was dollhouse perspective, but I think they might have removed it, not sure. Hellblade has a VR port thats pretty darn good, but it gets farther removed from a sort of dollhouse perspective. Oh, theres that Trover game thats sort of a 1st person 3rd person platformer, though I haven't personally played that one.

Edit: Oh i forgot one that was pretty forgettable (:v:), It actually had a decent amount of content and it was from Insomniac so its pretty polished for the small scale 'meh' game that it is, but its essentially like a classic side scrolling beat-em-up but in a more open metroid kind of world from that sort of fixed dollhouse kind of view.

EDIT 2: I also forgot, Gunfire games re-released Chronos but adapted to be a flat screen game as "Chronos: Before the Ashes" to capitalize on the sequel 'Remnant' having a good bit of popularity. The "before the ashes" version is strictly a 2d game and is NOT the VR version.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 5, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My brother in law let me borrow his Rift S for a bit before I moved in a month and of course I break the ring on the controller cracks at the seam in the back. Very cool that there are no replacements anywhere to be found! Are all of these controllers this weak poo poo? I was interested in getting a headset in the future but man this just makes me feel these things are fragile as hell. It's not like I punched a wall or dropped it either

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

George H.W. oval office posted:

My brother in law let me borrow his Rift S for a bit before I moved in a month and of course I break the ring on the controller cracks at the seam in the back. Very cool that there are no replacements anywhere to be found! Are all of these controllers this weak poo poo? I was interested in getting a headset in the future but man this just makes me feel these things are fragile as hell. It's not like I punched a wall or dropped it either

The Rift S/Quest 1 controllers are known as the worst version of the touch controllers, every other version before and after has been much tougher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beastie posted:

Have you watched Aluminette?

Just a movie but its great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkzdxgMBDi8

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

George H.W. oval office posted:

That's a unique weak point of that specific controller. Other Oculus controllers, along with Index and Vive controllers, tend to be built like tanks, but that specific generation was built to be as light as possible and overshot the mark.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

thecluckmeme posted:

This is probably the 10000th time this has been posted in this thread, but I think I might be a sleeper cell agent. I just got the Quest 2 update to fix AirLink and learned I can up the resolution, so I did both and loaded up H3VR to test out with better resolution. Loaded up the gun range, grabbed a sniper rifle, and holy poo poo. I've fired real guns before and am good with a .22 but a complete pussy with anything that has more recoil, but I was just clicking targets the whole time at the farthest distance. I've got a hosed up left eye but not enough that I need to wear glasses all the time, but it does require me to rely on my right eye for normal sight. I felt like John Wick for how quick and how accurate I was looking down a scope :psyduck:

I know there's all sorts of specific things for actual shooting, like windspeed and dropoff and not getting your rear end knocked over, but if I can even slightly account for that IRL I might just do clay or long-range rifle shooting for fun.

Bustin' clays in skeet/trap is a stupid amount of fun. I've seen people unimpressed at shooting rifles or handguns at static targets, but 100% of people I've taken shooting clays has had a fantastic time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I picked up EverSlaught and overall have been enjoying it. Keeping in mind it's under $20 currently, the environments are high res and well done, and flipping your left arm between grapple hook and maybe spoiler built-in shotgun is satisfying. The melee isn't up to Boneworks/S&S standards, but it's better than Until you Fall since its more free-form. It could use more polish and some freaking physics of some kind (you just fall towards the ground at like +10 gravity when jumping off of ledges) but I guess at this point we need to subsidize WIP projects for PCVR considering how Facebook is eating up the market.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have slammed my Quest 2 controllers into multiple ceilings and walls and not even marked them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

njsykora posted:

I have slammed my Quest 2 controllers into multiple ceilings and walls and not even marked them.

Grow some muscles I guess

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

Nuts and Gum posted:

I picked up EverSlaught and overall have been enjoying it. Keeping in mind it's under $20 currently, the environments are high res and well done, and flipping your left arm between grapple hook and maybe spoiler built-in shotgun is satisfying. The melee isn't up to Boneworks/S&S standards, but it's better than Until you Fall since its more free-form. It could use more polish and some freaking physics of some kind (you just fall towards the ground at like +10 gravity when jumping off of ledges) but I guess at this point we need to subsidize WIP projects for PCVR considering how Facebook is eating up the market.

I would agree with this, except for the melee being better then Until you Fall. The melee in Everslaught just feels like a waggle simulator, whereas I really enjoyed the mechanics from Until you Fall. That said, the left hand mechanics are awesome and a tonne of fun to use.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

You can attach it by looping a small velcro strap through the hole that is used for the (optional) top velcro strap:

It's reasonably secure, though double sided tape can give it a bit more grip at the cost of making it more of a pain to remove and re-attach.

Thanks. So you don't need the top strap? I've seen some reviews that say that this strap isn't so good for when you have friends over, as adjustment is tricky for the forehead pad.

With the elite strap, I actually velcroed the battery in its little fabric bag, which looks kind of lovely but has the benefit of making the battery removable easily, and the drawstring stops any risk of it slipping out.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

c355n4 posted:

Have you given it a try yet? I'm interested in how it feels when playing H3VR in take and hold.

Hasn't arrived yet, it's coming from the UK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do they make a left handed version or can it just be adapted to lefty use?

Yeah they make a left handed version (I'm a lefty too)

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
BOBOVR halo strap arrived, it's pretty comfortable but it constantly feels like it's going to slide up and off the top of my head from the back unless i clamp it very tight, haven't yet been able to find a position where it doesn't feel this way. Suspect this is caused by the pleather padding and me having long hair, whereas the rubber back of the Elite Strap provided some friction.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

pantsfree posted:

BOBOVR halo strap arrived, it's pretty comfortable but it constantly feels like it's going to slide up and off the top of my head from the back unless i clamp it very tight, haven't yet been able to find a position where it doesn't feel this way. Suspect this is caused by the pleather padding and me having long hair, whereas the rubber back of the Elite Strap provided some friction.

I also have long hair and this is my same observation. Can't find a way to make it feel right

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Pistol Whip content soon
https://twitter.com/PistolWhipVR/status/1423272087536406530

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Might be time to finally buy pistol whip.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I am here for it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
PW is good
New PW is good
All PW is good.

Buy Pistol Whip.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Anyone who owns population one and hasn't played in a while, they just released a big update. The map has an awesome new castle with surrounding village.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tomathan posted:

Anyone who owns population one and hasn't played in a while, they just released a big update. The map has an awesome new castle with surrounding village.

:dumbbravo:DID:dumbbravo:THEY:dumbbravo:FINALLY:dumbbravo:FIX:dumbbravo:THE:dumbbravo:hosed:dumbbravo:SKILL:dumbbravo:BASED:dumbbravo:MATCHMAKING:dumbbravo:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:dumbbravo:DID:dumbbravo:THEY:dumbbravo:FINALLY:dumbbravo:FIX:dumbbravo:THE:dumbbravo:hosed:dumbbravo:SKILL:dumbbravo:BASED:dumbbravo:MATCHMAKING:dumbbravo:

is there even enough people to really have a balanced lobby with proper sbmm? I feel like you're still going to get sweats/new people in every casual lobby anyways.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tomathan posted:

Is it all sword based? :classiclol:

I'll try it out tonight!

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Yeah I don't know what people expect with games with small player bases. The games can either start fast, which they do, or they can take forever while it finds whatever people actually are similarly skilled. You aren't gonna make everyone happy either way. And if they somehow did balance the game perfectly you are still only going to win 1 in 6 games cause that's the nature of balance on a game with 6 teams. For what it's worth I think they have made progress in the matchmaking and the backend stats show a new mmr stat.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is it all sword based? :classiclol:

I'll try it out tonight!

They did add a sword called Excalibur similar to the Kitana from season 1 with a 1.25 speed boost.

Tomathan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 5, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

explosivo posted:

Might be time to finally buy pistol whip.

It's been time to buy Pistol Whip since the day it released.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

canyoneer posted:

I also have long hair and this is my same observation. Can't find a way to make it feel right

Flip the padding at the back upside down and see if that helps. I've also seen people put the padding from the VR Cover face bit back there too.

I was just clicking around the Oculus site and discovered there's a bloody referral program. I'm sure I am responsible for at least 5 of these things getting bought at this point.

https://secure.oculus.com/my/referrals/

Armitage_Shanks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 6, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

These guys just must be printing money, I don't play this that often but every time I do there's three new songs; the ROI must be insane

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Should I buy Pistol Whip on the PC or is the native Quest version fine? Not sure how much of a difference in performance/visuals you get between the two.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

explosivo posted:

Should I buy Pistol Whip on the PC or is the native Quest version fine? Not sure how much of a difference in performance/visuals you get between the two.

The graphics are fine on Quest and no latency is better than low latency

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pistol Whip is one of if not the best arcade title on the quest platform

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My wife plays Pistol Whip in a silent turret-like trance, lightly bobbing her head to the music.

It turns me into a maniac, pelvic thrusting and making ape-motions with my arms to reload and jumping around like I'm calling strikes in Naked Gun.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PoshActiveBobcat-mobile.mp4
Pistol Whip rules. It does something to my brain.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pistol whip is crossbuy on quest/rift and is already one of the best games out there even before any further updates.