Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She already won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would simply not trust a bird for legal advice.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would simply not trust a bird.

Full stop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Fangz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzeqmMhJms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2H68_VDujI

Seems like Johansson might well lose this one, if what LegalEagle says is right. I guess with the "good faith and fair dealing" argument, Johansson has to prove that Disney did a simultaneous streaming release of Black Widow specifically to screw her out of money. This seems dubious, given how the release was delayed so much just so that an exclusive theatrical release might happen.

THR also had a pretty good read on this the other day.. I certainly wouldn't put a company like Disney above screwing their talent out of money, to put it mildly, but it seems likely to be an uphill battle for Johansson to prove that in court, given that the contract apparently didn't specify an exclusive theatrical release and that Disney has fairly obvious reasons they can point to for the hybrid release (previous delays, Delta variant, domino effects of a hypothetical fourth delay on other MCU projects) that have nothing to do with screwing Johansson over.

Aphrodite posted:

She already won.

Well, yeah, this suit is very likely more about generating bad press for Disney than about actually winning in court (as the THR article notes, it's likely we won't even know the outcome, since it seems Disney has a strong case for forcing this into arbitration). On that front, mission definitely accomplished

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bunch of stuff on TikTok and FB claiming James Wolk is going to be announced as having been cast as Reed Richards soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Spider-Man even finished reshoots?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think we can probably hold off on posting random Tik Tok and Facebook rumors that have little basis in reality. I imagine those sources will also say that Reed is going to be a big antivaxxer in the film.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

I think we can probably hold off on posting random Tik Tok and Facebook rumors that have little basis in reality. I imagine those sources will also say that Reed is going to be a big antivaxxer in the film.

That makes the rumors much cooler. Would be some primo content

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It's mostly being posted by people who've posted accurate spoilers and leaks thus far, it's the only reason I posted about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiktok's where all the latest news is released, old man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He looks like he'd fit the part and he's someone who seems poised for a big breakout role which Marvel could provide.

But he also is starring in a CBS series and that might not allow him to really have a film commitment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Wolk is cool, so if it were to happen then fine. But I don't put much stock in it. Would be pretty funny though since his new show is pretty much a show about different timelines/universes but it in a totally different way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ugh, the MCU caving to the SJWs again with more Wolk casting!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

:discourse:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lobok posted:

Lobok I have been posting on the same forums as you for decades and you're STILL making posts like this.

Please never change.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anything’s better than Krasinski, so :shrug:

I remember liking him on Mad Men even though his role is fairly small.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Hey I like that guy.....but can Reed Richards not be another white guy maybe, is that an option.

Also, holy poo poo, I practically grew up with this guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like if you wanna diversify the FF (which I'm 100% cool with) it still kind of makes sense to leave Reed as the white guy since at his best he's the borderline narcissist who is right on the brink of being a super villain. And with the multiverse and Krang in play there may even be a supervillain Reed down the line.

Plus I feel like Wolk really nails that "nice guy, but something under the surface" thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Plus I feel like Wolk really nails that "nice guy, but something under the surface" thing.

That’s basically his whole thing on Mad Men, but iirc it was just that he was a closeted guy trying to assimilate into that world without raising any eyebrows. But before that reveal he does give off a very “this dude is loving up to something” vague menace that would work well for a Reed barely holding in his narcissism and ego.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Hey I like that guy.....but can Reed Richards not be another white guy maybe, is that an option.

I'm fine with problematic rear end in a top hat characters remaining white.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Sure, all of that makes sense, but he'll still be the hero, leader, and "main character" boss of any Fantastic 4 movie, the smart guy with all the answers that may be problematic but you should just trust him to make decisions for you because he knows best.
If Star Lord or Doctor Strange or Ant-Man, etc had been anything other than white I'd agree (Reed is iconic peak white) but as it stands the MCU needs more representation and part of that is not putting people of color on a pedestal and letting them play flawed characters too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make characters that aren’t white and make movies about them.

There’s a reason Black Panther works so much better, that movie is written about a black man. Not a white guy you cast as black.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Lobok I have been posting on the same forums as you for decades and you're STILL making posts like this.

Please never change.

Don't worry bro, my sense of humour will never evolve!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does Reed need to be a problematic rear end in a top hat though?

I mean, he should probably still be a workaholic who has to conscientiously make an effort with his personal relationships, but him being a high-handed shithead who only doesn't seem like an egomaniac because of his proximity to Doom feels less like an inherent character trait and more like a leftover of him being an authority figure from the silver age.

Also between Tony and Strange, do we really need another one of that guy?

To put it another way, if Namor shows up in the movies, people need to understand why Sue doesn't just drop everything and become queen of Atlantis.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Obviously you don't need a person to be one skin colour for one of their (distant) descendants to be different but I wonder if they're leaning towards making Reed similar to Kang in that respect?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe it’s splitting hairs, but all three of those guys have very different motivations for why they act like assholes. Stark is an entitled 1%er with daddy issues who only decides to change once he gets direct experience with the consequences of his company’s actions. Strange is an egotist who people actually seem to like, and only becomes a selfish rear end in a top hat once he loses his livelihood and he’s lashing out at the world.

Reed is a well-meaning prick who genuinely believes he’s acting in the world’s best interests because he’s the only person with the intelligence and ingenuity to do so, but he genuinely cares for his family.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like if you take away Reed's problematic character elements you make him a lot more boring. And at least with Reed it factors into his guilt for recklessly getting his family into this situation and goes somewhere with the evil versions of him where they don't survive.

I don't think that's a problem with Namor because traditionally Namor is a LOT worse. Like Reed has issues but Namor just kind of rests at arrogant elitist who occasionally doesn't kidnap women and incite war. Who knows how the MCU will play him but if they're true to his character I don't have a problem wondering why Sue doesn't choose him (after he kidnaps her and drugs her to change her body so she can only breath underwater and is trapped with him).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Does Reed need to be a problematic rear end in a top hat though?

Nope. But it's sometimes hard to get fans of the source material to accept changes until they actually see it work in action. Comic fans are nutty about that. Reed's narcissism is not something that has to be part of the character. It's part of the character now in the comics, sometimes too much so, but it wasn't always as prevalent. More often than not he was portrayed as too myopic in his own to work to consider the consequences. Only really after the advent of the Illuminati was it taken to the degree it is now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The F4 are the worst and need flaws to be interesting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the avengers were way worse than the F4 for about 75%~ of their existence as a property

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like the F4, but 90% of that is Hickman’s run and the other 10% is nostalgia for toys I had as a kid.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If he does become Reed and they don't do a "Not Great, Reed!" joke, I will be disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

F4 can be really good if authors can get past their "No, *I* have to be the one to tell a story about the family breaking up" fetish that belongs in the dumpster right alongside "No, *I* have to tell the Why Doesn't Batman Kill The Joker" story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They could always go by the Lower East Side's current demographics and make Ben Vietnamese.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that the jewish guy is the one you should be diversifying.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know that the jewish guy is the one you should be diversifying.

He can still be Jewish. Binh Grimm, Vietnamese father and Jewish mother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Fabtastic Four is the greatest Marvel series of all time. It's also notable for being terrible for the bulk of it's publishing history. Aside from Kirby, Waid and Hickman the book has been a trash fire.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Reed is the most powerful hero on earth (when the writers want him to be) because his super intellect allows him to build thingamajigs that can gently caress up cosmic gods. So it's good if someone that hyper-competent has a lot of personal flaws

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sue is the most powerful SPB on earth but most writers need her immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean technically Franklin is actually the most super powered being in the universe. Since he's the only one that will survive it.