Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

McCloud posted:

I don't think SS is a good movie, but I also don't think it's a bad one. The cast is great, there's some cool shots in there (the enchantress transformation scene is super slick), it's got a diverse cast and the big message of the film is that US interventionism inevitably blows up in their face, which is a far better message than most cape flicks

Also I'm pretty sympathetic to "WB hosed up the film" angle. The fact that WB handed the editing of the film over to the company that edited the trailer speaks volumes. I obviously can't say for sure if Ayers product would have been better, but I'd love if they pulled a Snyder cut out of the whole thing

All things considered there's plenty of cape films worse than SS. X-men 3, that last x-men film with the pheonix again (also a product of meddling, as I understand), Catwoman, Superman 4, Superman Returns, Thor, etc

I remember really digging the first Thor movie and how weird the different characterizations of Loki between it and The Avengers felt. Tho Thor 2 was absolute dogshit and a total waste of Christopher Eccleston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
The worst movie decision was Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. Lotta people were astonished and disappointed.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Karloff posted:

I remember this from before, and I do feel that it’s a very thoughtful essay as well as incredibly well produced. That said, I do find myself disagreeing profoundly with the assumptions the argument is built upon, specifically this:

00:02:25 “So I’m not here to talk here about the characterisation, the plotting or the acting of the film Suicide Squad. In almost all big-budget films technical qualities like these are of a fixed, professional level which does not merit comment, and what comment it receives is most often pseudo-intellectual sophistry.”

The idea that formal elements such as characterization, plotting and acting (and perhaps editing, cinematography as well?) are of “fixed professional level” in big budget filmmaking and therefore uniform and not worthy of discussion is, I feel, fundamentally wrong. The first problem with such a statement is that it doesn’t define what this fixed professional level actually is, just that it is above criticism. There was a great post quite a number of pages back that discussed the difference between objective and subjective analyses, and when it comes to characterization, plotting (I don’t think those two need to be separate in all honesty) and acting, they are both craft (in terms of the tools and mechanisms that inform the discipline) but also art (how those tools and mechanisms are deployed in potentially infinite variations to the end result). So, in a big budget production the craft will most likely be of a fixed professional level, but the art will be anything but.

And yes, it is a thin line between craft and art, one that bleeds together inexorably. But, if we’re talking about Jaws, specifically its narrative, I do not think it’s wrong to discuss how exceptionally that film’s story is structured, how the central conflict is ever changing and moving and blending with the characters creating a propulsive experience. How wonderfully it communicates it’s themes through the drama.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think Suicide Squad and Jaws feature equally adept storytelling because they’re both big budget films operating at a “fixed professional level”.

Jaws was a small-budget indie film by a relative unknown.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OPAONI posted:

Jaws was a small-budget indie film by a relative unknown.

jaws was a universal pictures movie with a $9 million dollar budget

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Her heart's out! We can end this!"

On this subject, I love that while being completely blasted with rain, he still has to keep the narrative focused

“WE GOTTA CUT ‘ER HEART OUT!!”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Karloff posted:

I remember this from before, and I do feel that it’s a very thoughtful essay as well as incredibly well produced. That said, I do find myself disagreeing profoundly with the assumptions the argument is built upon, specifically this:

00:02:25 “So I’m not here to talk here about the characterisation, the plotting or the acting of the film Suicide Squad. In almost all big-budget films technical qualities like these are of a fixed, professional level which does not merit comment, and what comment it receives is most often pseudo-intellectual sophistry.”

The idea that formal elements such as characterization, plotting and acting (and perhaps editing, cinematography as well?) are of “fixed professional level” in big budget filmmaking and therefore uniform and not worthy of discussion is, I feel, fundamentally wrong. The first problem with such a statement is that it doesn’t define what this fixed professional level actually is, just that it is above criticism. There was a great post quite a number of pages back that discussed the difference between objective and subjective analyses, and when it comes to characterization, plotting (I don’t think those two need to be separate in all honesty) and acting, they are both craft (in terms of the tools and mechanisms that inform the discipline) but also art (how those tools and mechanisms are deployed in potentially infinite variations to the end result). So, in a big budget production the craft will most likely be of a fixed professional level, but the art will be anything but.

And yes, it is a thin line between craft and art, one that bleeds together inexorably. But, if we’re talking about Jaws, specifically its narrative, I do not think it’s wrong to discuss how exceptionally that film’s story is structured, how the central conflict is ever changing and moving and blending with the characters creating a propulsive experience. How wonderfully it communicates it’s themes through the drama.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think Suicide Squad and Jaws feature equally adept storytelling because they’re both big budget films operating at a “fixed professional level”.

Firstly, thanks for watching, it means a lot!

I think the distinction you've drawn between the craft and the art is essentially correct, and I don't disagree that much of what turns a good movie into a great movie is contained within those artistic subtleties. Talking about subjective qualities in depth is difficult because you're talking about your own response as much as you're talking about the film's successes. What I wanted to avoid, and what I think is a trap that gets fallen into quite often in online discussions, is coming up with a language of objective-sounding terms to express this subjective response.

A good example is the shot-reverse-shot sequence in the RLM prequel reviews. Showing a conversation in shot-reverse-shot is a basic tool of editing and there's no particular reason why any given instance of it in Star Wars should be objectionable. The reviews use it, however, as a shorthand for something more like "this sequence is muted when I think it should be dynamic" and that's an artistic choice. Ultimately the criticism obscures how much of the complaint is subjective by describing the claims in objective-sounding terms.

I'd distinguish characterisation from plotting by the primacy of the individual actor - there's very little plot in Mr Turner, but the character is incredibly well drawn (no pun intended).

I definitely didn't want to imply that those elements are above criticism - the fact that they're so regularly correct makes the occasions where they're not more notable. Terrible reshoot wigs are a common element of Hollywood films that is objectively bad. There are mechanics of editing that you can say are achieved or failed, like matching cuts when a character turns, or failing to distinguish a location change, but they're not generally relevant to discussing Hollywood films - if you've watched a whole bunch of student films you'll be very familiar with them. The botched edit in Suicide Squad ruins the film, but mechanically it's fine. One scene follows another in an intelligible fashion until the end of the film.

By way of example, at the height of oil painting, there were hundreds of artists working in great workshops under masters, turning out hundreds of artworks for a variety of clients. These paintings were all of a similar, high, technical quality, but we now only remember a small selection of them, and often then from artists who were struggling within that system to do something a bit different. This is how I'd imagine the difference between Jaws and most other films. There are many adept, beautiful representations of sunflowers, but Van Gogh stands out above all others. Suicide Squad is perhaps The Execution of Maximilian.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thor 2 is such an astoundingly [dial up static noise] of a movie.

That's an excellent description. Id argue the Ant-men fall in this category as well

Terrible Opinions posted:

Honestly SS is worse than Thor even if the film implied by what we know of the original cut was likely much better. Also Thor isn't even really in the running for worst MCU film personally. Still got Thor2, Avengers 2, Doctor Strange, and that Inhumans thing that was released in theatres for some reason. It is infuriating how many Marvel movies are just tv two parters from a mediocre tv show they have decided to release as movies.

?
The annoying thing about Dr Strange is that it opens up the possibility of really going wild and nuts with the concept of magic and eldritch gods beyond the ken of men, and they do almost nothing with it. The only good bit was how Strange dealt with Dormammu

The inhumans thing is pretty funny cause they tried to hype them up and then just quickly buried the whole thing when it didn't get the reception they wanted

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

The inhumans thing is pretty funny cause they tried to hype them up and then just quickly buried the whole thing when it didn't get the reception they wanted

this statement applies equally to the inhumans in the comics too lol

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Alaois posted:

jaws was a universal pictures movie with a $9 million dollar budget

Ok yeah that was a decent budget in the 70s. I should have double checked first.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
IIRC the Inhumans push was a Perlmutter thing and as soon as Feige was allowed to report directly to Disney instead of him, Inhumans got bumped down from a movie to a series to getting cancelled after the first disastrous episode.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

That's an excellent description. Id argue the Ant-men fall in this category as well

I remember like, flashes of Ant-Man, but thinking on it, they happen to only be the parts where Paul Rudd is Rudding It Up.

Alaois posted:

this statement applies equally to the inhumans in the comics too lol

Tbf the same could be said of

McCloud posted:

The annoying thing about Dr Strange is that it opens up the possibility of really going wild and nuts with the concept of magic and eldritch gods beyond the ken of men, and they do almost nothing with it.

McCloud posted:

One day* Lockjaw will receive the widespread acclaim and adoration he deserves

*when the Ms. Marvel series finally airs on Disney+

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Desperately trying to find the 5 seconds "Why" clip without success. Oh Inhumans, what a creative fart.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'll always feel bad for the actor that played Black Bolt in the Inhumans show, since he took the time and effort to learn American Sign Language and consult with the National Association of the Deaf to ensure he was doing everything right only for the show to get immediately cancelled.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MiddleOne posted:

Desperately trying to find the 5 seconds "Why" clip without success. Oh Inhumans, what a creative fart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc&t=22s

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MiddleOne posted:

Its going to be hilarious when Disney's other attempt at doing the not x-men, The Eternals, bombs too.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

It really is remarkable how easily this thread will drat anyone over vauge twitter drama unless they're a white male that directs DC movies specifically.

Uuuh really? If anything, I think it's the opposite. This thread will defend certain YouTubers despite them showing them their rear end over and over again, yet a DC director has fairly mainstream opinions on the military and police, and people try to say that they're full on crypto fash chuds.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its going to be hilarious when Disney's other attempt at doing the not x-men, The Eternals, bombs too.

The Eternals, like The Inhumans, are also a Jack Kirby creation that was more or less left in the dust by all his other work (X-Men, Fantastic Four, his Fourth World stuff in DC)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Where my ROM Spaceknight movie?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Linkara got to Beast Morphers in History of Power Rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh4AwC_3lL0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

Uuuh really? If anything, I think it's the opposite. This thread will defend certain YouTubers despite them showing them their rear end over and over again, yet a DC director has fairly mainstream opinions on the military and police, and people try to say that they're full on crypto fash chuds.

I don't really know or care about what political party David Ayer votes for or IDs with, but his career is built on gritty crime movies about the LAPD and his twitter is like 50% him retweeting the social media accounts for various armed forces, mostly US-based. He can be enabling problematic fashy racism while being a bland Hollywood liberal or whatever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

As an enlightened centrist I can admit that both super hero movie directors and contrapoints are bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the virgin david ayer vs the chad s. craig zahler

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Terrible Opinions posted:

As an enlightened centrist I can admit that both super hero movie directors and contrapoints are bad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Release the Snyder Cut of Suicide Squad, presented in a 4:1 format to preserve the director's creative vision already you COWARDS

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't really know or care about what political party David Ayer votes for or IDs with, but his career is built on gritty crime movies about the LAPD and his twitter is like 50% him retweeting the social media accounts for various armed forces, mostly US-based. He can be enabling problematic fashy racism while being a bland Hollywood liberal or whatever.

His love for the military probably stems from him being a street kid involved in gangs and unsavory stuff, and who then enlisted in the navy and got out of that lifestyle. He credits it with saving his life basically. It's not hard to see why he has a soft spot for them, and I find that a bit more palatable than the usual hollow praise americans love to heap on the military.

It's also worth pointing out that his Suicide Squad features one of the most diverse casts in a cape flick. Like yeah he's weird, but calling him fashy or racist is pretty unjustified imo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sydin posted:

Release the Snyder Cut of Suicide Squad, presented in a 4:1 format to preserve the director's creative vision already you COWARDS

They should

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vanderdeath posted:

I'll always feel bad for the actor that played Black Bolt in the Inhumans show, since he took the time and effort to learn American Sign Language and consult with the National Association of the Deaf to ensure he was doing everything right only for the show to get immediately cancelled.

My peak for that show was Medusa, whose power is super-powered hair. Even in the comics it's hard to pull off as effective or interesting but then they tried to do it without enough budget on top of essentially making it just the most terrible clearly a wig wig and then just cutting it all off.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

They should

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The final reel of Abel Gance's Napoleon was filmed in 'Polyvision', with a 4:1 ratio, to give a properly epic finale.

Suicide Squad indeed deserves the same.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

His love for the military probably stems from him being a street kid involved in gangs and unsavory stuff, and who then enlisted in the navy and got out of that lifestyle. He credits it with saving his life basically. It's not hard to see why he has a soft spot for them, and I find that a bit more palatable than the usual hollow praise americans love to heap on the military.

It's also worth pointing out that his Suicide Squad features one of the most diverse casts in a cape flick. Like yeah he's weird, but calling him fashy or racist is pretty unjustified imo

I think taking advantage of the escape offered by the US military is fine, but it doesn't really excuse a public figure of some weight sharing US Army recruitment tweets. I'd say there's something inherently fashy and racist about movies centering on LAPD cops, which is more concerning to me in the long term. And yes, I get that this is normal in mainstream media, because we are still coming to grips as a society with how the modern policing system is rotten to the core.

Suicide Squad has a massive cast, but they're also wildly underdeveloped. I can't say representation like having Slipknot show up and get blown up in 5 minutes is great. Katana is a broad stereotype by default who never gets anything more. Killer Croc's actor is black, but he's under all the CGI/prosthetics, so that doesn't come through much. It feels like they're trying with Deadshot but spread thin. I like Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, but it also feels like she's trying to make the best of kind of limited material. I can't say much about how the representation in the film reflects Ayer's own feelings on diversity though. Maybe it was a situation like Justice League and all the good material involving the smaller characters were cut for um "reasons"? If we ever get one of those DirectorCuts, I guess we'll find out.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 4, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pretty excited for new Suicide Squad. It looks pretty fun and I feel like Gunn's energy is exactly the kinda poo poo the concept needs.

I can't imagine wanting a "good" version of the other Suicide Squad, like goddamn the film is a trashfire from top to bottom. Nothing's salvaging that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Speaking of fun energy, I decided to rewatch To Boldly Flee for the first time since its launch, and had to stop for a bit 2 hours in because Jesus

I know all about the CA stuff but… man, this really was a movie by Doug for Doug and no one else

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

I agree, you just almost never see that same critical lens applied to like, Ryan Fleck or who ever

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SteelMentor posted:

Pretty excited for new Suicide Squad. It looks pretty fun and I feel like Gunn's energy is exactly the kinda poo poo the concept needs.

Some folks have already called it a multi-million dollar Troma film.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Well gently caress yeah, any chance Gunn gets to flex his Troma roots is a good time by me.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sydin posted:

This but unironically.

MechaX posted:

Speaking of fun energy, I decided to rewatch To Boldly Flee for the first time since its launch, and had to stop for a bit 2 hours in because Jesus

I know all about the CA stuff but… man, this really was a movie by Doug for Doug and no one else

I rewatched Suburban Knights with some friends on discord back on July the 18th. I remember the day because it was the same day I had to say goodbye to my dear sweet beloved cat, who was my best friend, after a long hard-fought battle with kidney disease for the last few years of his life. :smith: I was in a terrible mental state so my friends on discord were hanging out with me trying to cheer me up and I suggested we hate-watch Too Boly Flee for fun. No one wanted to sit there for 4 hours so I settled for Suburban Knights. lmao It really is crazy how much of that movie is just brainless references and unfunny skits that just go on and on and on because Doug and Rob think everything they write is comedic gold and any editor who would cut any of it is a FOOL.

I can't imagine how bad TBF is. Despite being a huge NC/CA fan back in the day, I never saw it. Watching a 4 hour skit was a tall order even for me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

josh04 posted:

The final reel of Abel Gance's Napoleon was filmed in 'Polyvision', with a 4:1 ratio, to give a properly epic finale.

Suicide Squad indeed deserves the same.

I actually picked 4:1 as the aspect ratio because I figured it'd be the only one where you could actually fit all the characters in the story on screen at once, yes.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1423037582259204097?s=20

Looking forward to this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jamie Faith posted:

I agree, you just almost never see that same critical lens applied to like, Ryan Fleck or who ever

I've never really thought to look at Ryan Fleck's twitter before, but skimming it now it looks like he's at about the AOC-level of left leaning. I haven't cross-compared the latest editions of the C-SPAM/D&D political manuals but that sounds like it'd hit somewhere around making some people here mad for being a corporate sellout and while others would just be indifferent. I wouldn't be surprised if those kind of things are factored in whenever Disney plucks another up-and-coming indie writer/director out of relative obscurity to string together twee dialog in between the prerendered action scenes mathematically optimized by AI three years before the movie is even announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

I can't imagine wanting a "good" version of the other Suicide Squad, like goddamn the film is a trashfire from top to bottom. Nothing's salvaging that.

I don't necessarily care that the end result will be a better movie, and more care that the version that they wanted to make before Warner Bros frankensteined it into something it wasn't gets to see the light of day as something the people who worked on it can confidently say is their own work.