Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tim Whatley posted:

Jesus this Star Wars hotel pricing

Kinda cool it has like a full itinerary though
It's like going on a cruise, but more expensive and also you don't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Boxman posted:

feel like its more likely that they scale back costs (by not bringing on as many actors, reducing the plot lines/activities, making the food worse, whatever) than lowering prices.

That being said, I don't think Star Wars fatigue is a thing, I think its just that the levels of quality have been all out of whack. We had, like, 4-6 months solid there where a MCU TV show was taking over twitter constantly, and people were still happy(ish) to see Black Widow. It's just that the MCU has settled into a routine where it is, at worst, fine. And Star Wars is still at a place where its worst is absolutely cratering peoples interest in the entire franchise.

I haven't finished it yet, but people really like Bad Batch. Kennedy and co.'s current strategy appears to be to just use serials and one-offs to wash out the bad taste of the sequel clusterfuck, at least until the inevitable next -quel.

But yeah, I'm a huge Star Wars dork so I'm hoping the prices will slide down so I can live my fantasy of staying awake all night on a starship :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

not sure where you guys are but Mandalorian was far, far bigger than any MCU shows that I know of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So on the subject of the hysterical Israeli pre-print claiming vaccines don’t work:

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1420059124700700677?s=21

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1420059141083631617?s=21

It was a math fuckup. They work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bottom Liner posted:

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1422931477503741957?s=21

And yeah agreed on RoS but also I feel like people have Star Wars fatigue in general now. It’ll be interesting to see how this does long term, I would not be surprised if they do big discounts to keep it booked after the initial rush of die hards

Star Wars Titanic would own

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

alg posted:

not sure where you guys are but Mandalorian was far, far bigger than any MCU shows that I know of.

That January after the first season of Mandalorian aired had so much merchandise and people wearing stuff from the show. It was a little crazy.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah Mandalorian was a huge deal but I'm not sure how much of it was just because it was the big tentpole for the launch of Disney+. Plus they had to withhold a shitload of merch until after the Christmas season to keep Grogu under wraps.

Alan Smithee posted:

Star Wars Titanic would own

So like that one Futurama episode? It did own.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Me and my parents are probably the perfect marks for the Galactic Starcruiser experience but drat that's steep. I think we'll make the call on it after the first reviews are in. As fun as the setting sounds and the ability to just LARP it up it's going to be ruined if Sandy from New Jersey and her 2 nightmare children are just breaking kayfabe everywhere.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at those prices I think there should be a minimum age requirement so small children don't ruin it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah at those prices I think there should be a minimum age requirement so small children don't ruin it.

Buddy this is how I feel about Disney World in general

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

Oh, absolutely. The minimum age for a kid to even get anything out of it that makes it worth it is like, 7. But going even further, I'd say 8 or 9 years old. Old enough to not need a stroller, not need constant breaks, understand why you're doing these things and that there's a benefit to pushing yourself a little, not complain about being tired, etc.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Hazo posted:

:hfive:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Oh, absolutely. The minimum age for a kid to even get anything out of it that makes it worth it is like, 7. But going even further, I'd say 8 or 9 years old. Old enough to not need a stroller, not need constant breaks, understand why you're doing these things and that there's a benefit to pushing yourself a little, not complain about being tired, etc.

worth it to whom? children enjoy disney even if they need naps or strollers, may not fully remember the trip later, and are incapable of being theme park warriors

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hazo posted:

I keep wishing for a Disney World but for adults, and then I remember that Las Vegas exists.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I thought Epcot during Food & Wine was Disney for adults.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dren posted:

worth it to whom? children enjoy disney even if they need naps or strollers, may not fully remember the trip later, and are incapable of being theme park warriors

Worth it as in the money and effort vs. how much your child will retain any of it or care. Children under 6 won't remember much of anything or even understand or comprehend why you're doing these things. They might remember a character encounter or something but will mostly just see it as a lot of stressful hustle and bustle for no reason. Mileage may vary, of course, but I hate seeing stressed out parents pushing their 3 year olds around who obviously are getting nothing out of it and its basically torture to them but they NEED to get that picture with Mickey.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We've been going since my youngest was 3 1/2, they love it. They don't remember much of the first trip, but they remember all the others very well. We have some awesome pictures and stories to tell though, like Belle putting a huge red kiss on my sons cheek that he still gets embarrassed about to this day. My kids are hardcore at the parks though. Never complain, never grumpy. YMMV with your own kids though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I don't even have kids but this is nonsense. Seeing a 3-4 year old watch the fireworks or meet a character they love or ride a roller coaster for the first time is all the proof you need.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Worth it as in the money and effort vs. how much your child will retain any of it or care. Children under 6 won't remember much of anything or even understand or comprehend why you're doing these things. They might remember a character encounter or something but will mostly just see it as a lot of stressful hustle and bustle for no reason. Mileage may vary, of course, but I hate seeing stressed out parents pushing their 3 year olds around who obviously are getting nothing out of it and its basically torture to them but they NEED to get that picture with Mickey.

:hmmyes:

If your 7-year-old is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or whatever then rock on. But your average toddler doesn't give a poo poo about Disney beyond bright colors. You spent hundreds of dollars to inconvenience everyone else at the park.

Yes I am aware I have grumpy old man energy

skipdogg posted:

We have some awesome pictures and stories to tell though, like Belle putting a huge red kiss on my sons cheek that he still gets embarrassed about to this day.

That's actually super adorable :allears:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't even have kids but this is nonsense. Seeing a 3-4 year old watch the fireworks or meet a character they love or ride a roller coaster for the first time is all the proof you need.

Most 3-4 year olds will not remember it and for these few moments of bliss, 90% of the rest of the vacation is dealt with keeping them from erupting into a fit because they're exhausted and don't understand why we have to stand around in the heat for hours.

Yes, again, mileage may vary, but IMO most parents are very misguided in bringing children that young.

Hazo posted:

Yes I am aware I have grumpy old man energy

Also same.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Most 3-4 year olds will not remember it and for these few moments of bliss, 90% of the rest of the vacation is dealt with keeping them from erupting into a fit because they're exhausted and don't understand why we have to stand around in the heat for hours.

Yes, again, mileage may vary, but IMO most parents are very misguided in bringing children that young.

Also same.

You don't remember 99% of the moments of bliss in your life either (memory is more broad and nebulous), but that doesn't invalidate that happiness especially at the time it's happening.

It's also pretty ridiculous to tell parents they can't enjoy something with their children just because the children might not remember it when they're older. Again, the kids' happiness in the moment is very real to them and to the parents.

And like everything else at Disney, there are better and worse ways to do it depending on your individual circumstances. People with young kids should not have them standing around in the heat for hours or making them exhausted from going rope drop to park close.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Going to Disney with kids under 5 is more about the parents than the kids.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

No, I get that. I've just seen and dealt with way, way too many parents that are clearly miserable pushing around their small children that are also clearly miserable, because they mistook how much effort and stress is involved to achieve those memorable moments they want to experience with their child.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I definitely agree that most little kids don't remember poo poo but a lot of families are also like, an 8 year old, a 5 year old and a 3 year old.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I keep telling my wife our first Disney trip with a child will be when they’re 5 or older. I want to go back sooner (first kid is due in one week, so we got a lot of time lol), but 5 is a great age where they’ll remember a lot of the trip and can actually ride most of Disney’s attractions.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Craptacular! posted:

That applies to basically any activity for young kids (birthday parties, Halloween, zoo trips) and that's okay. Treating parenthood and activities with kids as some sort of minmaxy task where things only really count if the kid retains their own memories of it is kind of a poo poo way to go about things

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

illcendiary posted:

That applies to basically any activity for young kids (birthday parties, Halloween, zoo trips) and that's okay. Treating parenthood and activities with kids as some sort of minmaxy task where things only really count if the kid retains their own memories of it is kind of a poo poo way to go about things

This is where I'm at. People have first birthday parties and make a big deal out of Christmas and stuff for babies and they don't remember those, so how is a Disney trip any different? If you want to take your baby/toddler, that's your choice. Who cares if the kid will remember it or not? Is there anything cuter than a toddler hugging Mickey Mouse? I don't think there is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You can have a great time with toddlers and even infants (though infants are as indifferent to it as a sack of potatoes). It requires a different trip mindset, you are not going to be crushing attractions, the kids are not going to go all day so there has to be a mid-day break or early departure, you’ve gotta stay on top of food, the kids need to go to one of the free play areas in the parks. Basically you have to fit the theme park stuff in around the kid’s schedule.

Kids might still have a meltdown but they’re kids, they do that. And if you’re mad that someone would spend the money to have that trip with a toddler, well, it’s not your money.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Look guys, basically what I'm trying to say is

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree. They can’t drink absinthe yet. The true elixir for true theme park enjoyment

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Children under 6 won't remember much of anything or even understand or comprehend why you're doing these things.

Hazo posted:

your average toddler doesn't give a poo poo about Disney beyond bright colors. You spent hundreds of dollars to inconvenience everyone else at the park.
There's a saying where I come from, the land of Parenthood: "never take advice about kids from people who don't have any kids"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bad Batch feels like it's for young teens and a chore to watch, when's Mandolorian rides gonna happen?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
After the new DLR passes were announced, I've been casually asking my kids if they want to go back to Disneyland someday. We are locals, live 30 minutes away and used to go all the time. Usually on Sunday mornings at ropedrop when the parks were dead. So hell yeah we are getting those new passes!

Of all the kids, my 4 year old gave me a very detailed list of all the rides she would like to go on now that she's taller and better at video games (Toy Story Mania was top of her list, and she said she wouldn't be scared on Haunted Mansion anymore because she's a big kid). She asked to pin trade again. Whenever we measure the kids, they ask if they are able to ride Incredicoaster or Indiana Jones.

Kids aren't dumb, they have long memories, it's usually the parents that ruin it. Just take a gander at the Disneyland with Kids group on Facebook, planning everything down to the minute and getting mad when things go "wrong". Some of our best trips were just winging it! We ended up at Disneyland on Dick Van Dyke's 90th birthday, there was a flash mob and a parade, that was a weirdly awesome day.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Let people take their kids, whatever. Keep em away from me, no problem. But I’ve seen some negligent rear end fucks take literal infants to Disney World in August, the hottest, sweatiest most hurricane filled month. Why?? Who is this for? The baby won’t enjoy it. The parent won’t enjoy it.

My guess is people need the validation of posting pics on their social media, because I can’t imagine something more miserable than spending hundreds of dollars to sweat in a swamp while dealing with a screaming baby constantly making GBS threads or throwing up on itself. Big yikes. 😬

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

IMO the best part about being at WDW without kids is that you get to see other peoples kids go through nightmares that definitely suck to be in at the moment but are amazing from a distance. One of our favorite stories is standing in line for Imagination and the kid in front of us was bawling, begging not to go on it. Her caretakers explained, somewhat sadly, that they had pushed her to go on 7DMT and she was not ready for that and now she didn't trust what they had to saw about any ride.

Which seems like a nightmare to go through but makes for a great memory for us.

Also in this category: the 3PM meltdown in the heat, pure schadenfreude. Also the child playing, like, hop scotch or hula hoop, while the parent with the "MOST EXPENSIVE DAY EVER" t shirt looks on (although that one, hey, the kid's happy, I'm sure the parents are happy).

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If wife and I ever have kids, we will be the jerks that dump the baby off with grandma and go to Disney by ourselves.

Also, if you wait till 5 to bring your kid, you can't get it in for free! Gotta get at least 1 trip in with that 3 and under free entry

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the best part about wdw without kids is the savings of not having kids in the first place :smugbert:

also you get to watch them light up and go "aww" and then not actually have to deal with them when they're tired.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

"Kids don't belong at Disney World" is the gooniest take I've seen in a while.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

"Kids don't belong at Disney World" is the gooniest take I've seen in a while.

Kids totally belong at Disney but a 3 year old is not enjoying themselves like a 6-9 year old is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

the best part about wdw without kids is the savings of not having kids in the first place :smugbert:

also you get to watch them light up and go "aww" and then not actually have to deal with them when they're tired.

:hfive:

Even my black heart can appreciate a kid enjoying themselves at the characters, fireworks, food, rides…and then I can move on and not deal with the rest.