Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Either way, 32 heat on your 62nd attempt is brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thanks - it wasn't easy and I've had much 'better' builds since as well.

I'm now back to a normal 5-7 heat or so, just wanted to unlock that statue.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When I played this at launch I thought Elysium was the most challenging zone. Now, without question, i think it’s Asphodel. This whole zone can gently caress itself. There is so much dangerous spam. Also that floor is literally lava. And upgraded Lernie leans into all the bullshit this zone has to offer. Ugh.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

When I played this at launch I thought Elysium was the most challenging zone. Now, without question, i think it’s Asphodel. This whole zone can gently caress itself. There is so much dangerous spam. Also that floor is literally lava. And upgraded Lernie leans into all the bullshit this zone has to offer. Ugh.

I think Elysium is kind of a gear check zone in that enemies suddenly have way more hp and so much of the survival there is just about not being sloppy.

Asphodel is actually easier when you're new because you're not dashing everywhere like a gnat.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 4, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mendrian posted:

I think Elysium is kind of a gear check zone in that enemies suddenly have way more hp and so much of the survival there is just about not being sloppy.

Elysium is definitely the zone where I start to realise that my build might not be good enough to beat the final boss - as I notice that my DPS is just not high enough.

Also, whoever thought it was ok to put Elysium enemies in Tartarus Erebus Gates was absolutely wrong..

Specifically the flame wheels, of course.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

When I did my 32 heat run I did it under EM4 because come on, as the ultimate normal challenge in the game, it feels wimpy to only do the normal fight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mendrian posted:

Asphodel is actually easier when you're new because you're not dashing everywhere like a gnat.

since I turned on heat and +60% enemy spawn, I feel like if I don't get to Elysium with Poseidon's dash + Hermes extra dashes or at LEAST +30% movement speed, I'm very likely to limp your way to the Hades fight with like 80HP and no DDs

e: the miniboss witches in Asphodel are so loving annoying if you don't have a ranged weapon, they will camp out in a corner of magma and just fire at you over and over

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 4, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

indigi posted:

since I turned on heat and +60% enemy spawn, I feel like if I don't get to Elysium with Poseidon's dash + Hermes extra dashes or at LEAST +30% movement speed, I'm very likely to limp your way to the Hades fight with like 80HP and no DDs

That's one of the worst heat options, if not the worst, from sheer numbers attrition and how it amplifies most other heat modifiers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Omobono posted:

That's one of the worst heat options, if not the worst, from sheer numbers attrition and how it amplifies most other heat modifiers.

oh wow, really? it seemed like the easiest to me of the options, it's the first one I went with. I haven't even started running 4 yet lol. helps keep my pockets full for Charon at least

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Extreme Measures and Tight Deadline are pretty much free heat - I'd start with them for sure.

Extra damage from traps (Heightened Security maybe?) sounds like an easy one to take but it absolutely is not.

And yeah, feel that about the witches.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

When heat is low it is one of the least impactful options, but as you stack modifiers it makes everything else so much worse.

The other trap option is increased trap damage, for two reasons: one, lava counts. Two, the final boss' urns count.

By contrast, forced overtime needs some adjusting time but it surprisingly could turn out far less difficult than it seems. Next couple runs, try dodging by explicitly predicting what the mooks and bosses are going to do instead of reacting after the fact. If you can do that with some accuracy, turning up enemy speed should be reasonably safe.
(Forced overtime 2 absolutely requires predictive instead of reactive dodging, so I'd suggest getting used one step at a time)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

indigi posted:

oh wow, really? it seemed like the easiest to me of the options, it's the first one I went with. I haven't even started running 4 yet lol. helps keep my pockets full for Charon at least

+enemies and +enemy health are deceptively painful. Since they increase the amount of time you spend fighting enemies, they increase the amount of time you spend dealing with the heat options that amplify enemies. 1.6x enemies means a 1.6x multiplier on the amount of attacks amplified with the extra damage option, 1.6x the amount of shields to break with the shield option, and so on.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Damage Control is also free heat if you’re using the Twin Fists or Adamant Rail.

Don’t take the extra trap damage one pretty much ever, if it was more heat it might be worth it but for only one it can sit and spin. And Tight Deadline is basically free heat for the first two ranks, it may sound intimidating but unless your build is especially bad you almost always wind up clearing it just fine.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

while we're on the subject of easy/hard heat sources, benefits package 1 is usually not that tough. but benefits package 2 makes it way more likely that you'll get some heinous combo like tartarus skulls with cloner + savior

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Red Oktober posted:

Extreme Measures and Tight Deadline are pretty much free heat - I'd start with them for sure.

Extra damage from traps (Heightened Security maybe?) sounds like an easy one to take but it absolutely is not.

And yeah, feel that about the witches.

Extreme measures 1 may possibly be free. EM2 isn't free in my opinion. EM3 absolutely isn't free.
Having said that, they're comparatively easy modifiers for the heat they give so one might as well get used to them.

(EM4 should be 16 heat on its own instead of the actual 10 but there's a reason it's locked behind a lot of plot progression and not what the quoted post was talking about)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The real reason to play with EM3 is because the new boss fights are fun and new content. :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wish they would do a story DLC. I'm not 100% finished but I'm already wanting more

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Omobono posted:

Extreme measures 1 may possibly be free. EM2 isn't free in my opinion. EM3 absolutely isn't free.
Having said that, they're comparatively easy modifiers for the heat they give so one might as well get used to them.

(EM4 should be 16 heat on its own instead of the actual 10 but there's a reason it's locked behind a lot of plot progression and not what the quoted post was talking about)

I find EM1 free for sure - especially if you get Tisiphone - I find her even easier than Meg.
EM2 is not free for sure.
EM3 - I think this is easier than non-EM3 - mostly because Theseus just circles around and is trivial to dodge.

By 'free heat' I really mean 'always worth taking because they're easy for the heat they give', I suppose.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Omobono posted:

Two, the final boss' urns count.

Huh. Didn't realize that. Does the hidden sword let you ignore the urn damage then?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mescal posted:

Heyo, I beat 1 heat! Took me a while. Now I can get enough blood to do some damage and beat a few heats quickly, if I invest it right, eh? I really don't want to waste my blood and get stuck on 1 heat. The things that look good (flexible) for investment are excalibur, raging rush spear looks good, the upgraded blitz disc would deal a lot of damage, fists' dodge chance, and ammo for the gun. Hidden bow looks kinda gimmicky, not great for bosses. A lot of other stuff looks cool but I can see them only working with certain gods rather than all of them.

I was trying for high weapon damage with crits, then I figured out that stuff that looks good, like chaos's damage boost, doesn't really add that much when you're not doing most of your damage with the weapon itself. I thought lightning would be good with the gun since it hits fast, and Zeus was good with the gun, but who beat the game? It was really Daedalus.

So. Where should I put my blood?

edit: drat, I can't get more blood on 2 heat from all the weapons. Is there a maximum number of honey I can trade for blood?

edit: drat, you can upgrade death defiance? I probably would have beat it a long time ago

I don't know if somebody else already pointed this out to you, but the hidden bow is one of the best weapons in the entire game, I think it's the weapon used in the current world record for highest heat in a run. The special fires a really tight cone of arrows that ricochet automatically, and you can spam the special over and over, so it's good for killing single big enemies (because of the tight cone) and crowds of enemies (because of the ricochet). The unique ability just adds even more damage whenever you spam the special. Just stack a bunch of special damage and special attack speed boons, pick someone like Zeus to trigger extra damage whenever the special hits, and you're golden.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mendrian posted:

I had a lot of difficulty with Asphodel. While I kinda agree with your assessment of Elysium, I think that makes it easier, because those are things you can control.

The gear check aspect is just "did you pick some complimentary boons that reinforce an action to be very good?" Most of the time the answer's gonna be yes. If the answer is no, you were probably trying to get a specific setup and the dice didn't work out. And true, the punish for mistakes is much worse. The damage is higher, enemies have faster recovery, traps are way nastier, etc. But you can handle all of that with cautious play.

Asphodel is just chaos. The enemy variety is the biggest in the game IMO, in terms of having very different behaviors & patterns. Most of them play keep-away with what are effectively teleports (jump, fly, or burrow) so you have to charge in and get them locked up. That makes playing it safe around the lava difficult.

What I've concluded is that I didn't have the skill to be both very aggressive and highly aware at the same time. In elysium I can easily back off on aggro to keep more defensive awareness. In asphodel that doesn't work for me, I end up taking more damage than going balls-out. I almost always equip the duster for asphodel to hit the hydra with good health, whereas for elysium I can take a damage or boon item.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I honestly find EM1-3 to be completely free but that may be because I’ve played this game way too much. It’s maybe 5% of my runs where I don’t reach Hades with all my Death Defiances.

If anything I think EM Lernie is harder than EM Champions because there’s up to eight targets you have to keep track of instead of two, and they all spam AOE attacks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow Lernie is the worst already and that sounds awful

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EM 1-3 are absolutely my "slam these before anything else" choices when going for higher heats, as well as at least the first rank of tight deadline. I actually like Damage Control too.

Heightened Security however can go directly to hell, especially for having a total of 1 Heat associated with it.

In general I think anything that makes boses or solo encounters harder is a ton easier to deal with than anything that makes random encounters harder since you don't have to deal with it as much.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Heightened security teaches you not to get hit by traps or stand on lava pretty quickly. It’s awful at first but once you get used to it it’s free heat and you’ll be a better player to boot. It could definitely stand to be two levels though with the second being where it’s at now but worth 2 heat

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 5, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Heightened security teaches you not to get hit by traps or stand on lava pretty quickly. It’s awful at first but once you get used to it it’s free heat and you’ll be a better player to boot

I usually don't anyway but it is the one that absolutely hits the hardest for a single mistake without having enough of an upside heat-wise to be worth it, especially once other stuff is stacked up. If it had even 2 I'd be a lot more prone to be favorable to picking it but pretty much any other 1-pointer is going to make the run less stressful even if theoretically harder.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Middle Management is an easy 2 heat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can't believe Dusa friendzoned me... :(

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If I keep a god's keepsake after a boss do I get their boon again or does it just increase rarity after the first?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mescal posted:

If I keep a god's keepsake after a boss do I get their boon again or does it just increase rarity after the first?

The forced-next-appearance works once per run. The rarity works every single time you get a boon from that god.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

indigi posted:

I can't believe Dusa friendzoned me... :(

Dusa friend-zones everyone. It’s part of who she is. Don’t take it personal.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Klyith posted:

The forced-next-appearance works once per run. The rarity works every single time you get a boon from that god.

Thanks. And the hammer is likely but not guaranteed to show up again if I pick chaos instead?

Red Bones posted:

I don't know if somebody else already pointed this out to you, but the hidden bow is one of the best weapons in the entire game, I think it's the weapon used in the current world record for highest heat in a run. The special fires a really tight cone of arrows that ricochet automatically, and you can spam the special over and over, so it's good for killing single big enemies (because of the tight cone) and crowds of enemies (because of the ricochet). The unique ability just adds even more damage whenever you spam the special. Just stack a bunch of special damage and special attack speed boons, pick someone like Zeus to trigger extra damage whenever the special hits, and you're golden.

drat, this is a nice bow

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mescal posted:

Thanks. And the hammer is likely but not guaranteed to show up again if I pick chaos instead?

Iirc that's correct. Two guaranteed hammers, two guaranteed Hermes boons. I think it will only be a guarantee to show up again if you have to choose between hammer and Hermes.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Red Bones posted:

The unique ability just adds even more damage whenever you spam the special.

Nope

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Heightened security teaches you not to get hit by traps or stand on lava pretty quickly. It’s awful at first but once you get used to it it’s free heat and you’ll be a better player to boot. It could definitely stand to be two levels though with the second being where it’s at now but worth 2 heat

While I agree it's a great tool to get better its a bit disingenuous to call it "free". All heat is free if you never gently caress up, but heightened security is less forgiving than most IMHO.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

free heat? now that’s paper

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Besides the final boss's urns, I also have a bad tendency to step in front of the big trap statues in Elysium and boy do those things hurt with that pact on.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What's the deal with building relationship with the Olympians after 10 clears? I was able to rapidly give most of them Ambrosia; I've got Aphrodite, Demeter, and Artemis left but when I came across Aphrodite I didn't have the option to give her either Nectar nor Ambrosia. Am I missing something or just need to wait for something to unlock over the natural course of play? edit: nm just got Artemis on board, maybe Aphrodite is just a tough nut to crack.

Whoever said the witches miniboss in Asphodel seems to know when you don't have a good ranged attack and go camp over the magma is dead on. I hate that fight, it's worse than the actual boss of the dungeon.

Also, this line from the Simpsons always goes through my head when I've got a ranged or dash/cast build for the last boss:

This an extremely minor gripe, but it feels like it'd be trivial to fix the code so you don't get the "More ________!" line of dialogue on the first room of Asphodel or Elysium.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 19, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you pull up your info you can see if you can give ambrosia / nectar to a god at the minute. If there is a lock on it then you need to progress something to unlock that. Do you have a lock on Aphrodite? I think she’s linked to your thanatos / Meg / dusa romances. Once you max those it should unlock, but I have seen reports that it can be bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What's the deal with building relationship with the Olympians after 10 clears? I was able to rapidly give most of them Ambrosia; I've got Aphrodite, Demeter, and Artemis left but when I came across Aphrodite I didn't have the option to give her either Nectar nor Ambrosia. Am I missing something or just need to wait for something to unlock over the natural course of play?

All of them have specific conditions that need to be met before you can give them Ambrosia. They vary between characters. For Aphrodite, you have to romance all the romanceable characters.