Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gohuskies posted:

You certainly can do open world shenanigans like the quote describes but are those RPG things or just open world emergent gameplay? I wouldn't call Far Cry 3/4/5 RPGs even though you can do many similar shenanigans in those.

I've played through all the Stalker games many times and I don't recall any particularly interesting back-and-forth conversations. I'm legitimately curious since I haven't replayed in a while, what are some examples you are thinking of when you say that? I mostly remember exposition dumps.

Call of Pripyat has most of the decent ones. Nothing revolutionary, just some decent chatter about the nature of life in the zone and a decent number of tasks offered that link into eachother, like the one I quoted. Also, when it comes to shooters without an XP grind and levelling mechanics or Diablo style loot, because there aren't really games in the genre without any of those things and deep dialogue trees with various choices, I'd say STALKER (and RDR2) are closer to pure role playing games due to their designs leading to a natural open immersion. The Far Cry games cast you as a one man army, as the kid stomping around the sand castle. STALKER throws you into the Zone and will chew you up and spit you out if you act carelessly.

I wouldn't call STALKER an RPG right out of the gate, but the person asking for a recommendation wanted an RPG that doesn't do any of the lovely things that RPG shooters tend to do, so you can understand why most recommendations except maybe EYE were not in fact what you'd call an RPG, even if they incentivise immersion and roleplaying in a sense.

Boba Pearl posted:

I've only played the first STALKER to the point where you rescue some guy from a bandit camp, and I kept getting blown away, so I quick-save scummed to stealth through the camp and save him, then I went to a train thing and got blown away again. During this I had numerous crashes, didn't understand the plot, and had no idea what anything in my inventory actually did. The guns felt like wet tissue paper as well.

Do not play STALKER, people will tell you to play STALKER, and will make fun of you if you don't like STALKER. It must have been an amazing game at the time of release, but it really doesn't hold up if you started gaming in the last 10 years, and are used to a more user friendly experience.

That said, I'm totally willing to change my mind on this, is there any mods, guides, or later STALKER games that are fun?

STALKER was not good at the time of release. It doesn't hold up at all in any way shape or form regardless of who you are. Anyone who told you that is crazy, and even the most diehard STALKER fans will say that. The series is like Skyrim in how much people mod it.

Shadow of Chernobyl desperately need mods just to function, since it's old and shoddily coded anyway, running on the first version of an extremely ambitious engine. The Zone Reclamation Project is a must. I'd also recommend Old Weapons Renewal 3 because holy poo poo do the original weapons suck so hard. There's a starter pack mod that contains all of the usual suspects, but I'm not terribly familiar with SoC other than that. I also hear OGSR is really good and Complete is really bad.

Clear Skies is the second game in the series and is not very good. Skip it, come back to it later if you must. It has some really good areas that you can come back to.

Call of Pripyat is the best out of the box, but I'd still maybe run the Arsenal Overhaul mod. Nothing's necessary there though. Take a browse of its Moddb page after you try a bit of vanilla to figure out what you like and don't like.

Call of Chernobyl is a standalone base mod for open-world free-roam STALKER across every area from every game. It is not a very good beginner experience, but it's absolutely free and standalone. You can either mod it yourself, or use one of the major modpacks/forks of it. Personally, I recommend Anomaly - it maintains the fun while improving performance and keeping a very active Zone. The other end of the spectrum is Dead Air, which is brilliant but utterly brutal and unforgiving. But the most wonderful feature of Call of Chernobyl and its derivatives is Azazel mode. It's permadeath whereby if you die, you become another character in the Zone. Sometimes the one that killed you. It's perfect at lightening the blow of ironman by giving you a new body with new gear and likely different faction alignments. This is my favourite way to play.

Now, for the basics of getting into STALKER, it's actually fairly simple. You gunshoot like in any other game, except there are strange phenomena and wildlife about - this is the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone but what if supernatural and double radiated. If you hear beeping, you're probably near an anomaly. If you hear ticking, that's likely your Geiger counter. You have a trusty infinite sack of bolts you can throw into anomalous regions in order to activate the anomaly so you can understand its radius and navigate around it.

For Shadow of Chernobyl's opening, the first mission to take the bandit camp, you can do it two ways - you can solo it, or you can talk to the guy again to get the local lads to go in with you. It's fairly easy to solo, you just have to be very aware and attentive. Just be wary of the boars on the way there. Just be sure to treat the game more like a tactical shooter, or at least a Deus Ex style immersive sim. It's totally cool if you're not into that. These are fairly hostile and unforgiving genres.

Don't play on Master Difficulty to solve enemies being bullet sponges. That is not true. That has never been true. Enemy damage resistance does not change with a difficulty increase. They are just as vulnerable at all difficulty levels. It was a thing literally everybody used to say until just a couple of years ago. Play on whatever difficulty you're most comfortable with.

There's a great thread for the series here, but the OP is very much out of date, being written in 2013. Any issues you have, that thread and google are your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone! I may give STALKER a try, but my tolerance for old janky games is limited so we'll see. Metro is one of those series I always forget about, as is Deus Ex.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I kinda want to play Stalker again now. The gunplay was weirdly reminiscent of the old school Ghost Recon games. Lots of plinking away from a mile away and panicked full auto firing at very close range.

Shadow of Chernobyl introduces the mutants incredibly well though. My first encounter with a controller is the most terrifying experience I ever had in any game or film.

E:apologies, thought this was the steam thread.

Relevant content: Disco Elysium, the Planescape games, Tyranny- what other rpgs put a really heavy focus on dialogue, choice and writing?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 2, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kedo posted:

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone! I may give STALKER a try, but my tolerance for old janky games is limited so we'll see. Metro is one of those series I always forget about, as is Deus Ex.

Lol you need to play Deus Ex

Hot take: HR and MD are better than the original

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

kedo posted:

The big problem with Stalker SoC is that the first hour is very difficult and scared a lot of folks off. The intro guns are trash and borderline unplayable. Once you get an AK-47, the game really begins.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What's sad is I actually already own HR. It's been sitting in my Steam library for years. :ssh:

How!
Oct 29, 2009

kedo posted:

Metro is great but sometimes you just wanna murder the whole map and that will give you the bad ending.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hot take 2.0: The original wasn't very good, plain and simple. Oh you can get to the destination by opening a door with a lock pick, or by opening a vent with a different kind of lockpick, or opening another door with a third kind of lockpick? What revolutionary non-linear experience that transcends video games as we know them! The things that are excellent about DE are the aesthetics, the dialogue, the atmosphere in general, but the way it plays, and the supposed immersive freedom are lacking to say the least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ok yeah deus ex was so obvious I assumed it’s already been played, go play Deus Ex

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

How! posted:

The Metro games might be good for you.

Yeah I was also thinking Metro, Exodus specifically since it's the best one for my money. It's not reaaaaallllyyyyy an RPG but we can overlook that I think, you upgrade your guns and that is just as good as upgrading your person. It's not fully open world and doesn't have the reactivity that RPGs are sometimes known for but in my opinion it's the best game that's been discussed as an option so far and that's the most important thing.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone know any good Kerbal-like games that aren't Kerbal? Building things, testing them, preferably actually difficult and requiring thought to put together instead of a puzzle game!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Galick posted:

Anyone know any good Kerbal-like games that aren't Kerbal? Building things, testing them, preferably actually difficult and requiring thought to put together instead of a puzzle game!

For space games there's Children of a Dead Earth, which is a realistic space combat game with orbital mechanics. You have to play the campaign to unlock ship and component editor, but it has an insane amount of customization. Like you're customizing fuel mix and picking raw materials for components, real engineer brain poo poo. It's also very satisfying to watch the steel dildo ships get torn apart, damage model is very detailed.

There's also a ton of very in depth vehicle and base building games - Space Engineers, Empyrion, Stormworks, Trailmakers, From the Depths

Or you could pivot into the various factory building/logistics games - Factorio, Dyson Sphere Program, Satisfactory, Workers & Resources

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Galick posted:

Infinifactory, opus magnum, spacechem

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galick posted:

Besiege

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Galick posted:

Check out Main Assembly, it's on sale right now on Steam

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Have there been games as succesful as new vegas in having a large amount of weapon variety, that still pushes the player to a few of them by a need to specialize (because weapons you aren't proficient in are worthless)?

I'd like to replay new vegas but it's just so janky. And I know the wasteland by heart so it feels mostly like walking through a park of atomatons, everything's stale now.

(by weapons I mean distinct objects, I do not want fallout 4's you get 3 weapons that can be crafted into 16 different subtypes)

jackpot if it's set in a compelling world/narrative but we can't have everything.

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 3, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

double nine posted:

Have there been games as succesful as new vegas in having a large amount of weapon variety, that still pushes the player to a few of them by a need to specialize (because weapons you aren't proficient in are worthless)?

I'd like to replay new vegas but it's just so janky. And I know the wasteland by heart so it feels mostly like walking through a park of atomatons, everything's stale now.

(by weapons I mean distinct objects, I do not want fallout 4's you get 3 weapons that can be crafted into 16 different subtypes)

jackpot if it's set in a compelling world/narrative but we can't have everything.

That sounds like Morrowind. This is half a joke rec and half a genuine rec, I'm playing Morrowind now and love it.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Thanks folks! I have Main Assembly and Trailmakers, though I guess what I want specifically is to be given a vague goal (like in Kerbal, "get to space/the moon/mars/whatever") and then given a toolset to do it with. Anything like that? Maybe not necessarily building things, but just a system that wants creativity rather than following a dotted line.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Galick posted:

Automation

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Galick posted:

Thanks folks! I have Main Assembly and Trailmakers, though I guess what I want specifically is to be given a vague goal (like in Kerbal, "get to space/the moon/mars/whatever") and then given a toolset to do it with. Anything like that? Maybe not necessarily building things, but just a system that wants creativity rather than following a dotted line.

Poly Bridge 2 is exactly that. Maybe the goals aren't that vague but the way that you can solve them are nearly limitless

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Galick posted:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but Oxygen Not Included is very much a game of “here are the tools, here’s something far off to aim for, now try not to die getting there.”

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

In fairness if you build your New Vegas character correctly you end up with 100 in every skill before you're even max level lol

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Perhaps a niche ask, but are there any games these days sort of like classic Graal Online? I have fond memories of multiplayer not-Zelda where people were putting together their own servers with custom levels and story etc. I guess maybe NWN persistent worlds or Byond? Maybe I should take a foray into Roblox?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

cmdrk posted:

Perhaps a niche ask, but are there any games these days sort of like classic Graal Online? I have fond memories of multiplayer not-Zelda where people were putting together their own servers with custom levels and story etc. I guess maybe NWN persistent worlds or Byond? Maybe I should take a foray into Roblox?

I mean, if you want "weird janky game modes made by kids" like Graal was, Roblox is 100% it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cmdrk posted:

Oh man Graal Online :allears: I'll never forget that the head graphic I used for like a year ended up being some ICP thing without me knowing

It's not multiplayer and it's not not-zelda but Dreams on PS4 is pretty much the modern pinnacle of "play through a bunch of weird poo poo random people have poured hours into creating"

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Tower Unite also fits the bill

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Galick posted:

Someone already mentioned Besiege and I will second it. You build medieval style siege weapons to take out enemy troops level by level. This might be the most similar to Kerbal because you can build, attempt, tune, then reattempt.

Another second, in Factorio your goal is to build a spaceship while fending off alien bugs and the way you build your factory/base is definitely reliant on your creativity and problem solving skills. Crazy good game and super addictive imo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

curious if there are any modern FPS games that someone who enjoyed Unreal Tournament 99-2004 would like. no frills like pseudo rpg mechanics just loving around with fun weapons that feel good. i have game pass so anything already on there would be ideal. halo seems like the obvious answer and is a massive thing i missed the boat on so that's one of the first things i'm gonna try.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

curious if there are any modern FPS games that someone who enjoyed Unreal Tournament 99-2004 would like. no frills like pseudo rpg mechanics just loving around with fun weapons that feel good. i have game pass so anything already on there would be ideal. halo seems like the obvious answer and is a massive thing i missed the boat on so that's one of the first things i'm gonna try.

Titanfall 2

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hwurmp posted:

Titanfall 2

Not an empty quote

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Titanfall 2

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey patch notes.

quote:

Fixed a bug where you were able to use Explosive Concoction with an off-hand Weapon and a disabled main-hand Weapon.
Wow. God forbid anyone level three extra gems, huh?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Warsow, if it’s still going?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Reflex Arena was my favorite of the "incredibly blatant attempts to remake Quake/UT with modern tech and not owning the IP" but I don't think any of them are really populated any more.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was thinking about MGS4 being the ultimate gun-porn game. (Its IMFDB page was a really fun read for me for some reason!)

Just lovingly rendered (you could see the bullets drain out of the P90 mag) and animated, great selection of weapons, that all felt kinda different, could customise them to a reasonable extent (no focus on hideous paintjobs), actually fire assault rifles in semi-auto (!) and from different ranges. The game also had a singleplayer that wasn't just running up close and mowing armies of dudes down.

Is there anything similar people would recommend for good feeling guns? A lot of the latest Tom Clancy/Ghost Recon stuff seems like ... not this at all.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CYBEReris posted:

Have you looked at Prodeus yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Was thinking about MGS4 being the ultimate gun-porn game. (Its IMFDB page was a really fun read for me for some reason!)

Just lovingly rendered (you could see the bullets drain out of the P90 mag) and animated, great selection of weapons, that all felt kinda different, could customise them to a reasonable extent (no focus on hideous paintjobs), actually fire assault rifles in semi-auto (!) and from different ranges. The game also had a singleplayer that wasn't just running up close and mowing armies of dudes down.

Is there anything similar people would recommend for good feeling guns? A lot of the latest Tom Clancy/Ghost Recon stuff seems like ... not this at all.

It's a completely different genre but Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod is the ultimate in gun porn

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

Diabotical is REALLY good, I don't know if there is still a playerbase, but I was playing it last year. Its a really fun UT/Quake clone with good movement and dodge based dueling.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Payday 2 has a shitload of guns with a shitload of customization options, along with fun gunplay and great sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've been playing The Last of Us 2 and the guns are pretty satisfying imo. It's a Naughty Dog game so naturally graphics are also insanely good.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Last_of_Us_Part_II,_The