Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I religiously washed my MS6. Always the underbody treatment and it still rusted.

Where is this "ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR" bullshit coming from?

It's actually "Only drive cars you like" op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KakerMix posted:

not driving the car i like... in order to drive the car i like

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Except that I said I want a boring rear end base model winter daily that gets decent mpg and can rust away if need be.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

No no no no, it's "Only drive one car at a time". It wouldn't be safe otherwise.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Foot in my winter beater while I reach out the window to steer my JDM right-hand-drive hot hatch currently running on cruise control

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I live in the PNW and never drive my car. Sometimes when I think of trading in the GTI for something better I always have to remind myself I drove a total of 2,000 miles this year and my car still looks like it came off the dealer lot.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't have anywhere to store a second car that I wouldn't want to drive unless the roads are terrible. I imagine theres a lot of folks in the same situation.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rusty posted:

I live in the PNW and never drive my car. Sometimes when I think of trading in the GTI for something better I always have to remind myself I drove a total of 2,000 miles this year and my car still looks like it came off the dealer lot.

If you decide to sell it, send me a PM - I'm in the neighborhood.

Can anyone chime in on historic resale value on Golf R vs Civic Type R? I'm eyeballing both the Mk8 and whatever the Civic is when they drop. The car markets are obviously skewed right now and it's anyone's guess, but anecdotes are helpful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anecdotal: Was waiting for CTR to drop below 30k used, which happened in like Dec-Jan, now a used one is 35k+

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rhyno posted:

I religiously washed my MS6. Always the underbody treatment and it still rusted.

Where is this "ONLY DRIVE ONE CAR" bullshit coming from?

well yeah it’s a Mazda from the 2000s

Rusting is its ideal natural state. It’s simply its nature. Shame on you for trying to pressure it to change

KakerMix posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not driving the car i like... in order to drive the car i like

step 1 is “like all cars”

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Except that I said I want a boring rear end base model winter daily that gets decent mpg and can rust away if need be.

I'm with ya. I bought my MS3 new, daily drove it year round in PA winters, and when I sold it with 50k the undercarriage was already a horror show. Told myself no new cars in the winter.

I'm sure my Mustang would be a hoot in the snow, but I want to keep it nice. There's something to be said for having a winter beater that you don't need to care about at all. My Vibe is amazing at that. It cost me like $4k and barely has over 100k. It will run until the end of time. Great to have for hauling sod, yard poo poo, furniture, whatever.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Test-drove the Veloster N a few days ago and it was a blast. It completely sold me on the thing. Normal mode driving is freaking smooth and N-mode is just <insert you favourite crazy adjective here>. Rear seats are just for emergency lifts, of course, but even my son who is 183cm (6 ft whatever inches) tall could put the passenger front seat as close as comfortable and still fit in the back seat. Not comfortable back there, but hey ...

On one hand I feel like i'm too old for this poo poo, on the other, drat, what am I waiting for. The price is not too bad (CAD prices that is) for what will have to be a new vehicle as the prices for used ones are not sane at all. That veloster engine sound is just something that needs to be experienced.

edit: The clutch bites a lot lower than on my Golf, which is going to require a bit of getting used to, but I found it quite comfortable. And the torque basically allowed me to go in 5th at 50km/h, something that my Golf would bark at (not a gti, just plain 1.8 TSI).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 25, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Volguus posted:

Test-drove the Veloster N a few days ago and it was a blast. It completely sold me on the thing. Normal mode driving is freaking smooth and N-mode is just <insert you favourite crazy adjective here>. Rear seats are just for emergency lifts, of course, but even my son who is 183cm (6 ft whatever inches) tall could put the passenger front seat as close as comfortable and still fit in the back seat. Not comfortable back there, but hey ...

On one hand I feel like i'm too old for this poo poo, on the other, drat, what am I waiting for. The price is not too bad (CAD prices that is) for what will have to be a new vehicle as the prices for used ones are not sane at all. That veloster engine sound is just something that needs to be experienced.

edit: The clutch bites a lot lower than on my Golf, which is going to require a bit of getting used to, but I found it quite comfortable. And the torque basically allowed me to go in 5th at 50km/h, something that my Golf would bark at (not a gti, just plain 1.8 TSI).

The Veloster N has been on my radar for a little while and while I was skeptical at first, I honestly have grown to like it. I've been daydreaming about eventually replacing my GTI with something and possibly with a Veloster N/BRZ/Miata, but I'm honestly uncertain about buying another ICE 4 wheeled vehicle at this point for some reason.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

salt and rust is a reality of owning a car

Laughs in california

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
And I bit the bullet and bought it today. 2022 Veloster N, White. Gonna pick it up Wednesday (if nothing catastrophic happens). Feels a bit of a YOLO moment, even though I can easily afford it based on my calculations, real life may prove me wrong, who knows. Excited, anxious, everything at the same time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volguus posted:

And I bit the bullet and bought it today. 2022 Veloster N, White. Gonna pick it up Wednesday (if nothing catastrophic happens). Feels a bit of a YOLO moment, even though I can easily afford it based on my calculations, real life may prove me wrong, who knows. Excited, anxious, everything at the same time.

Hell yeah.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hellyeah:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midjack posted:

You're never actually going to buy a car, are you?

signed the loan paperwork for a 2015 FiST in performance blue today

now I get to wait for the Mass RMV to spend a week getting me my plates and poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/COdoHpU_a8U

https://youtu.be/l1Rz5p23MIg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

now I get to wait for the Mass RMV to spend a week getting me my plates and poo poo

Hell yeah. I got a rental normal Fiesta several years ago and it was surprisingly peppy, this should be a real treat. Enjoy it! :cheerdoge:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Volguus posted:

Congrats! Post a trip report

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Volguus posted:

:hmmyes:

jealous of those seats

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do a burnout!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
congrats on your new hot hatches, post pics when you get them

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on an OEM Fiesta ST car cover, a set of branded rubber floormats, and some molded mud flaps. Boy this thing is gonna look great while it sits, not moving.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on an OEM Fiesta ST car cover, a set of branded rubber floormats, and some molded mud flaps. Boy this thing is gonna look great while it sits, not moving.

I'm gonna get these wheels:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...15&autoModClar=

...or do y'all think they would look better/perform better/be more versatile as 15"?

TireRack doesn't have the white in 15", but I'm sure somebody else does. There's also black and grey finish tho....

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Really I’d say that’s preference. I wouldn’t break too much of a sweat looking for 15s if they’re not easy to find. Either way, the extra sidewall will give you a softer ride. How many potholes do you hit on the way to work?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Really I’d say that’s preference. I wouldn’t break too much of a sweat looking for 15s if they’re not easy to find. Either way, the extra sidewall will give you a softer ride. How many potholes do you hit on the way to work?

all of them

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, get the 15s then

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, get the 15s then

lol

thinking of doing a Bilstein suspension refresh at ~100k miles.

Anyone with experience trying either a B4 (“stock replacement”) or B6 (“upgraded”) setup? Not really interested in B8 or more extreme or dropping it

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My 19 came with the B4s on it. They ride nice, and I have no complaints about em. Unfortunately I don’t have the stock versions to swap em with, but from what I’ve read they’re close to identical.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I run 15" wheels for my winters and the OEM 17s for summers and the difference is somehow shocking every time I switch between them.

If I decide I'm keeping the FiST long term I think I'll probably invest in some 16" wheels when my current summer tires wear out.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol

thinking of doing a Bilstein suspension refresh at ~100k miles.

Anyone with experience trying either a B4 (“stock replacement”) or B6 (“upgraded”) setup? Not really interested in B8 or more extreme or dropping it

I went from a b4 to a b6 on my E91. The ride is great but it lifted the front end of the car 1/2 inch + which I didn’t want.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThirstyBuck posted:

I went from a b4 to a b6 on my E91. The ride is great but it lifted the front end of the car 1/2 inch + which I didn’t want.

Assuming that the spring rate and spring perch height did not change the reason this happened is because your B4s had leaked out their nitrogen charge.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
So I got my Veloster N yesterday, and it went pretty uneventful overall. The dealer, like expected, tried to sell poo poo to make some money. I had NO in my arms pretty strongly for everything, until my wife intervened and made my buy the paint protection package with the electronic rust protection. Oh well, whatever, I'll live. Dealerships should just die in a fire. Really.
Did since yesterday about 300km on it, I think I'm getting the hang of it. The gears are quite a bit different than my Golf TSI, I found myself today sometimes shifting from 2nd to 4th directly and sometimes even to 6th after that instead of 5th. All to get going just a bit faster from a stop. 6th at 1500RPM gets to about 70km/h. 6th is supposed to be for cruising, yet it seems to be able to pull quite strongly even in that speed.

Some thoughts so far:

- It's louder than I expected. Heard it before in the dealer parking lot, but in my neighbourhood it seems a lot louder. And that's in normal mode.
- Stiffer steering than my old Golf. A bit rougher ride.
- And, like I mentioned the shifts are quite a bit different than my old one. Getting used to it.
- The seats are cool, not as comfortable as I originally thought after the test drives, but not too bad. I could see myself being able to go on a long trip with it.
- It's small, not too small. There's plenty of legroom in the passenger seat.
- By default the infotainment system is quite annoying how it's setup, luckily it's extremely configurable. Spent some time today going over settings and changing things and now I like it a lot more. I can do a lot of poo poo now only from the buttons, no need to touch the screen, which is preferable while driving.

Some ... bad things:

- The USB port for android auto is always live (power on). Since I have AA wireless, that thing always being on means that when the car is in the garage, my phone would just connect to it every 10 minutes, drop off after a few minutes, reconnect, ad nauseam.The power that little device would draw is really tiny, there's no danger of depleting the battery, except maybe after a few weeks, but the constant connect/disconnect of the phone is irritating. I just have to unplug it when I get home and plug it back in when I start the car. Still more comfortable than doing the same with the phone. Would be nice if the power to the USB would be a configurable option.
- The attention. Jesus. I guess I should have imagined, but yeah, that's uncomfortable. People just loving stare.

Here's 3 pictures I took today, in the Costco parking lot, during my weekly pilgrimage there:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Assuming that the spring rate and spring perch height did not change the reason this happened is because your B4s had leaked out their nitrogen charge.

Almost assuredly so. I found I was bracing myself in the car just going over small bumps so they were very toast. I replaced everything with oem stuff (mounts, ect) beyond the uprated struts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Volguus posted:

6th at 1500RPM gets to about 70km/h. 6th is supposed to be for cruising, yet it seems to be able to pull quite strongly even in that speed.

I'm not sure you should be doing that - maybe turbocharged direct injected engines changed in the past decades but as a former MS3 owner it makes me nervous.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

dissss posted:

I'm not sure you should be doing that - maybe turbocharged direct injected engines changed in the past decades but as a former MS3 owner it makes me nervous.

I was surprised as well. Basically accelerating normally in 5th, and when it gets to 70 the upshift light comes on telling me to move to 6. Seems low indeed.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Volguus posted:

I was surprised as well. Basically accelerating normally in 5th, and when it gets to 70 the upshift light comes on telling me to move to 6. Seems low indeed.

From the experience in my EU Ford Focus Ecoboost (non-hot hatch variant), I would ignore the shift indicators... Ford would like that I lug the engine in 6th gear at 1400 rpm at somewhere around 50 km/h or so...
I don't see the shifting advice anymore but blank it out automatically.
Even my mum - who is not the fastest driver around - asked me after renting a current Fiesta if Ford really wants her to shift so early.
I assume this is only for saving the last 0.2 L/100 km fuel consumption...
With a warm engine, I shift much later (and with a cold engine, too, but earlier and with the softest touch of the gas pedal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

do you mean the flashing shift lights or the green number?

the green number tells you the most fuel efficient gear for your speed, not necessarily what gear you want when accelerating

it definitely made me realize I had not been driving manuals very efficiently for most of my life lol

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 6, 2021