Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Console here and no offhand weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

At least for me tempest rush/sweeping winds always has a bug where it doesnt stack the damage correctly initially, so you need to get it stacked, stop tempest rushing then start again to get the damage to apply again.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Found a 28 eth spear while T6 leveling a WD. Looks fine, want the rest.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so end game D3 is pushing GR's, what is end game D2 like? do they have rifts?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waroduce posted:

so end game D3 is pushing GR's, what is end game D2 like? do they have rifts?

After the hell difficulty, there is only the accumulation of more loot, which is traditionally found by running bosses with magic find gear - ideally in a a character that can teleport, or by clearing giant packs of cows (yes. Cows) in a secret cow level.

Diablo 2 is like, pre modern ARPG endgames, I would say. Oh, and because loot is not instanced, there's no incentive for group play, although folks still do that for XP, mainly rerunning the final zone over and over.

At the time it was a lot of fun I swear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Endgame D2 is setting up your bot to do Pindle/Baal runs for six hours while you're at work to fish Pul runes for your Heart of Oak.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
When I stopped playing D2 endgame was having 15-20 accounts searching for games on the right IP to get uber Diablo spawns and then farming Ani charms. As well as running your bots while at work/sleep ^^

I quit before torches became a thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never botted or any of the cheaty poo poo, I just played Diablo 2 until I got to around the end of Nightmare and into Hell and the made a new character. It’s a much more sedate game than high level D3, and I adore the poo poo out of it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
PK

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never botted or any of the cheaty poo poo, I just played Diablo 2 until I got to around the end of Nightmare and into Hell and the made a new character. It’s a much more sedate game than high level D3, and I adore the poo poo out of it.

Yes and no on that last part. Spin to win barb is so chill that i feel its comparable. I know its just one class build, but there are and have been others. Obviously its a bit more intense when you're GR pushing, but a modestly geared charater can roll gr80 or 90 without any real thought

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember being 15 and having people explain botting to me and thinking that was absolutely without question the rock bottom end point of gaming. If you set up your computer to cheat at video games for you while you go to work, you’re just literally the biggest dork loser on Earth, I don’t care how shiny your magic bow is or how much forums gold that can buy you.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember being 15 and having people explain botting to me and thinking that was absolutely without question the rock bottom end point of gaming. If you set up your computer to cheat at video games for you while you go to work, you’re just literally the biggest dork loser on Earth, I don’t care how shiny your magic bow is or how much forums gold that can buy you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Who actually gives a poo poo about botting in Diablo?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about botting in Diablo?

Those who get banned for it while everyone else gets away with it, lol.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Are they keeping the same 2-active-skill system in D2 remaster, where only left-click and right-click are mapped? That's pretty bad if they don't improve, but that's one of the lower tier reasons I probably won't be buying this game. That was pretty hard to deal with in the olden days, and D3 does a much better job with 6 active skill buttons.

oh yeah,, there are the horrendous allegations against the company itself which make me go "Whoop, no thanks, not paying for that!" for blizactivision titles.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 5, 2021

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's an extremely vocal (probable?) minority that's violently opposed to any sort of QoL improvement. I don't know how much Blizz is targeting that segment, but something like changing the fundamental skill system of D2 feels unlikely to be in D2R.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hypothetically I'm not against leaving the permanent skill-buy system intact, but I remember playing a long time ago and only having 2 buttons to cast abilities loving sucks. Aside from all other considerations, that is a clear interface fail. A huge number of people probably had Teleport on their right-click, so that means you only have a left-click to assign a skill to, and that precludes basic attack? Made sense pre-2000 but terrible today. I wonder if the grognard contingent is strong enough to override the "wait this is worse than D3" interface concerns.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
If I remember correctly you could link a bunch of skills to buttons to switch to them, and also roll your mouse wheel to switch between the ones you set to certain buttons. But it has been awhile.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

palindrome posted:

Hypothetically I'm not against leaving the permanent skill-buy system intact, but I remember playing a long time ago and only having 2 buttons to cast abilities loving sucks. Aside from all other considerations, that is a clear interface fail. A huge number of people probably had Teleport on their right-click, so that means you only have a left-click to assign a skill to, and that precludes basic attack? Made sense pre-2000 but terrible today. I wonder if the grognard contingent is strong enough to override the "wait this is worse than D3" interface concerns.

I never needed a basic attack as my necros because I never invested a single point into dex.

I'd frequently miss hitting the anvil the first few times to destroy Mephisto's soulstone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ryuujin posted:

If I remember correctly you could link a bunch of skills to buttons to switch to them, and also roll your mouse wheel to switch between the ones you set to certain buttons. But it has been awhile.

This is correct.

I thought I had heard they were listening and may make skills one button on a toggle. Otherwise play with a controller and then it's one button mapped per skill and will cast on press. Sadly controller support seems better than mouse support, lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

There's an extremely vocal (probable?) minority that's violently opposed to any sort of QoL improvement. I don't know how much Blizz is targeting that segment, but something like changing the fundamental skill system of D2 feels unlikely to be in D2R.

Those are the worst people and targeting them hobbled War3R out the gate. I could put up with broken assets and missing features if I knew they were getting put back in, but arbitrarily limiting the design doc to Exactly What It Was made the experience shittier even as just a nostalgia trip. RTSes were already dead, if I wanted something with relatively good QoL and high APM I could play SC2.

Plus like, D2 was de facto balanced for duper/botter economy, so gently caress that if that's getting kept. Much like with the WOW Classic crowd--I played this poo poo to death when it was current and relevant, I am not going back to Exactly What It Was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Much like with the WOW Classic crowd--I played this poo poo to death when it was current and relevant, I am not going back to Exactly What It Was.
Hoo boy I did not miss the class quests.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I played a poo poo ton of Diablo 2 in college over lan. Then I played a poo poo ton more on battlenet after college. Then a poo poo ton more on battlenet with goons after that. I have a metric poo poo ton of nostalgia for Diablo 2.

I have zero desire to play the exact same Diablo 2. No matter how pretty they make it. I have that game. I have multiple copies of that game. Every press release about this thing has convinced me not to buy it. I don't want the exact same code playing underneath the coat of paint. I want all the quality of life updates. I guess I just want a remake instead of a remaster.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Bust Rodd posted:

And then they invented Bitcoin

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ryuujin posted:

You can, but it’s still a bit tedious. Not terrible if you map your skills and move button to WASD and get into a rhythm, but D3 had definitely spoiled me for how easy it is to access your skills.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Ok, well, I finally decided to dive into S24 a couple days ago and I've got a WD (which I've actually never played to 70 before, somehow) and gift set is neat, but I also got the Turbo Chicken 2-piece and when I run them together I can do some really good damage but at anything above T10 I get iced pretty quickly once I come out of chicken form (and even sometimes in chicken form depending on the area affects from bosses). I've got Flawless Imp. Diamonds all over, so I'm not sure what else I need to do to be less squishy. I'm working my way to this build:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/witch-doctor-spirit-of-arachyr-fresh-70-starter-build

I've got the Coils as bracers, but I'm still working on getting the RoE and the Pledge/Rose pair. Is Pledge/Rose really the rest of the protection for this build or am I missing something? Or is this build just untenable somehow? I'm planning to build towards Mundunugu once I stabilize this build and can reliably run decent level rifts.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Honestly, do what you can to build toward a Mundunugu speed build asap. Arachyr is squishy and does fuckall for damage in the grand scheme of things, and the chicken set gives you mobility at the cost of both damage and survivability. One thing to note is that allres gems are kind of trash for int characters since they're increasing the stronger side of your damage reduction, you should get better results with str or dex gems.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I played a poo poo ton of Diablo 2 in college over lan. Then I played a poo poo ton more on battlenet after college. Then a poo poo ton more on battlenet with goons after that. I have a metric poo poo ton of nostalgia for Diablo 2.

I have zero desire to play the exact same Diablo 2. No matter how pretty they make it. I have that game. I have multiple copies of that game. Every press release about this thing has convinced me not to buy it. I don't want the exact same code playing underneath the coat of paint. I want all the quality of life updates. I guess I just want a remake instead of a remaster.
Yeah, this is pretty much why I´m not that interested in the Diablo 2 remake, unfortunately. Hell, it´s what stopped me from buying the remade Mass Effect trilogy, I´ve already played through the trilogy several times and rebuying them for a slight graphics upgrade simply wasn´t worth it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I just happened to be watching some Aris clips on YouTube and it looks like there are more than 2 skills active to me, almost identical to Diablo 3. The potions are mapped to the dpad instead of L1 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3tZprCJ8w&t=376s

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Honestly, do what you can to build toward a Mundunugu speed build asap. Arachyr is squishy and does fuckall for damage in the grand scheme of things, and the chicken set gives you mobility at the cost of both damage and survivability. One thing to note is that allres gems are kind of trash for int characters since they're increasing the stronger side of your damage reduction, you should get better results with str or dex gems.

Ah, gotcha. I wasn't sure if the allres vs str/dex worked for WD the way it does for wiz. Good to know, guess I'll just slug it out in T10 for a while to get Mundunugu done.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The same rule applies for wiz/wd/necro, but especially on WD since you have multiple commonly played skills that multiply your int (and your allres with it), allres on gear/gems is doing very little for your survivability and you should run str/dex gems and consider allres rolls on gear mostly dead to you.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

owl_pellet posted:

I just happened to be watching some Aris clips on YouTube and it looks like there are more than 2 skills active to me, almost identical to Diablo 3. The potions are mapped to the dpad instead of L1 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3tZprCJ8w&t=376s

Wait is that the guy who commentates Tekken matches? The voice sounds so familiar.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait is that the guy who commentates Tekken matches? The voice sounds so familiar.

Yeah, same guy.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

There's no viable shield bash build with this since it's a Shield's ability on the weapon and we can't double dip, right? Is there another shield that would work?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Assuming you're talking about Blessed Shield and not Shield Bash, that's right. You need 2 weapon abilities and a shield ability for that build. You can probably do ok if you put Gyrfalcon in cube and skipped Akkhan's Leniency but it would be far from ideal.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Happy to report that low-level eth cheese works on Switch. :yayclod:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

bamhand posted:

Assuming you're talking about Blessed Shield and not Shield Bash, that's right. You need 2 weapon abilities and a shield ability for that build. You can probably do ok if you put Gyrfalcon in cube and skipped Akkhan's Leniency but it would be far from ideal.

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry, it's for my 8yo's build. He got that etherial and really wanted to use it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Got bored with my Trag Corpse Explosion build because you move like a turtle and looked up speedfarming builds for Necro. I haven’t played with the new Extravagant Finery set yet and HOLY poo poo is this build silly. With Bone Spear set to Teeth and Grim Harvest I am just a mini-gun spewing bones at the speed of light.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bust Rodd posted:

Got bored with my Trag Corpse Explosion build because you move like a turtle and looked up speedfarming builds for Necro. I haven’t played with the new Extravagant Finery set yet and HOLY poo poo is this build silly. With Bone Spear set to Teeth and Grim Harvest I am just a mini-gun spewing bones at the speed of light.

Which skill is Grim Harvest? I tried setting up a necro build and found them all slow and unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have never played Diablo 3 but I started a few days ago because I was bored with the current Path of Exile league and D3 was on sale for the Switch. I have to say this game is a lot of fun! I originally avoided it because of the real money auction house and the "always online" aspect. But Neither of those things exist on the Switch version so I gave it a go. Within the first 10 levels one of these drops:

I'm playing a Wizard so this was the most absurd damage upgrade I could image. Am I extremely lucky? This seems like a league unique. Will I get to keep this once my character transfer to standard mode?

Comparing Diablo 3 with PoE it feels like I have escaped an abusive relationship. So many quality of life upgrades! I don't know how I will feel about this stuff after I have played a few hundred hours but right now it feels like a better designed game. Reasons D3 is superior:

-Auto looting currency rather than clicking on each individual gold piece
-Free Town Portals
-Free respecs
-Free Dodgeroll. In PoE you need to socket a gem to dodge, and they just nerfed this gem
-Cosmetics you can earn in-game
-You can enter the end-game instantly. Diablo 3 never made me play the story even once! PoE demands I replay it every season.
-No trap builds. From what I can see there is no way to make a useless ineffective character in D3
-All content available to all builds. All of the bosses and side content can be completed with any build in D3. Maybe it takes top builds to reach the highest ranks, but the ranks go up to infinity and the gameplay experience isn't really any different, the numbers are just bigger. This is not the case in PoE, you must have a top build to defeat the final bosses (or even reach them). Most players never see that content in PoE.

Obviously the character building systems are a lot simpler in D3, but the actual gameplay seems basically the same so all of these changes add up to a superior experience (for now I might think different next league :v:)