Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there any way to stop trade caravans bringing their loving muffalos indoors and making GBS threads up the place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there any way to stop trade caravans bringing their loving muffalos indoors and making GBS threads up the place?

trading spot mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180719658&searchtext=trading+spot

TjyvTompa posted:

I did a lot of raiding in my playthrough and it's not worth it unless you want slaves. The outposts contain poo poo and crap and 600 units of pemmican, thats it.
Edit: Or do you mean the ancient complexes you "discover" sometimes? There's a mod that makes them worth raiding: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2559244124

these are just there to give you something to raid that is low risk, the high risk/reward stuff is already there in the form of other settlements.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TjyvTompa posted:

I did a lot of raiding in my playthrough and it's not worth it unless you want slaves. The outposts contain poo poo and crap and 600 units of pemmican, thats it.
Edit: Or do you mean the ancient complexes you "discover" sometimes? There's a mod that makes them worth raiding: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2559244124

Cheers, what I figured. I did one earlier, and other than the 15 components there was nothing of value.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

The Giddy-Up Caravan mod contains an option to create a "mount-off point" where caravans leave their mounts/animals before entering your base.
Giddy-Up Core: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1216999901
Giddy-Up Caravans: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1253251478

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how much does Talking factor into social skill checks? If I have a guy with Social 8 and 50% talking, is that basically equivalent to a guy with Social 4 and a working mouth? The documentation I can find is... really unhelpful here.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesh Forge posted:

mechanoids have always been very stupidly good at everything, especially the big ones are extremely good at both ranged and melee so I've never felt reluctant about nerfing or disabling them personally :shrug:

like I tinkered a little bit with mech clusters and just naw, not interested in cheesing those at all lol

Melee hard counters every mech except scythers if you can actually make it into melee intact and not on fire/shot to pieces. Centipedes hit hard in melee, but very slowly and inaccurately. Lancers/pikemen/termites fall over like bowling pins to a decently skilled pawn with a decent weapon. Scythers can gently caress you up if they get the numbers on you but are otherwise not much more threatening than your average dude with a sword.

Mech clusters are pretty mean puzzles, depending on what they spawn with. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone and/or try to bait a raid into them if their designated hazard isn't something that will ruin your game like a toxin spewer or an auto mortar.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Kanos posted:

Melee hard counters every mech except scythers if you can actually make it into melee intact and not on fire/shot to pieces. Centipedes hit hard in melee, but very slowly and inaccurately. Lancers/pikemen/termites fall over like bowling pins to a decently skilled pawn with a decent weapon. Scythers can gently caress you up if they get the numbers on you but are otherwise not much more threatening than your average dude with a sword.

Mech clusters are pretty mean puzzles, depending on what they spawn with. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone and/or try to bait a raid into them if their designated hazard isn't something that will ruin your game like a toxin spewer or an auto mortar.

Mech clusters stink because the only way to defeat them is by massive numbers. Bait an infestation into them, bait a raid into them, bait visitors into them. Spend large amounts of honor to drop free troops around them to keep them busy while you destroy them. Especially those cannons they have just gently caress you up in a second, I really don't understand how you are supposed to defeat them without doing something "gamey". That is my experience anyway. Maybe the trick is to use melee, I actually never tried it, I always go for guns because....pew pew.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cluster turrets explode just like ours, melee seems like a great counter to them from the damage output, right up until it starts really working.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OwlFancier posted:

Holy loving poo poo lmao they added embrasures but you have to make them out of skulls.

i hate this

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mechs are not that hard. their gimmick is crippling overspecialization and any attempt to force them to fight outside of their terms neuters them. Bring a smoke grenade launcher for the little pew pew turrets and they literally can't target you, for example.

TjyvTompa posted:

a bunch of mod recommendations

don't actually use these if you're just starting the game. the viewpoint this advice comes from is weird and is predicated on highly inflated pawn numbers from doing other cheaty things in the first place. There's a ton you can do to handle mechs safely - without even a likely chance that one of your pawns die, assuming that you have OK gear on them (put a devilstrand coat on them and flak vests, for example.) As said above, melee will fix a ton of problems with robots - and you can easily bait scythers around corners into napoelonic firing lines to dismantle them.

Making an EMP launcher or two also strongly degrades the performance of mechs. just one in a larger group will drastically reduce your incoming fire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

an EMP launcher is actually super nonideal for mechs. you want EMP grenades instead. they do the same amount of damage/stun, but the launcher has way smaller impact radius, way worse rate of fire, way worse accuracy, just worse everything except range, and the launcher doesn't outrange anything that the grenades don't.

i frequently build shelfs near perimeters and fill them with emp, flame, and frag bombs for utility like that. it's not very helpful to have someone running around carrying EMP grenades, but when the time comes you will appreciate having a nearby source of bombs.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

LonsomeSon posted:

Has anyone ever used the swimming pools from Dub's Bad Hygiene? They have a defined max fill rate, regardless of availability of water in your system, and take half a game year to fill. My pawns are about to be able to go for swims, but it really seems like Hot Tubs at 1500 more research still come online way faster.

I think a recent update to the mod let you up the fill rate...?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Broken Cog posted:

Don't think I'll ever accept someone with Paralytic Abasia again, not worth it at all. Maybe if I could at least get a look at the character beforehand, and they turn out to be godly.

You actually can, when the notification letter shows up that means the dude is already on the map. Postpone your choice and scroll around to find him.

First time I got the event I was going to decline, then I saw it was a Warforged from the Forgotten Realms races mod so I didn't actually have to feed the guy. Easiest treatment routine ever.

Broken Cog posted:

Do any of you raid these random outposts you discover during the earlygame if you're not a slaver/raiding focused ideology.

The food/leather outposts are mostly useless except for getting some exp on newbies or if they rolled Thrumbofur or something. The mining outposts on the other hand I feel like are totally worth it, that stuff isn't trivially renewable like food and goddamn am I scrounging for steel in the midgame, literally every infrastructure and gear upgrade I want to do needs it.

They're usually coming in to eat at table, so once you know where they like to stand (or decide they will stand with trading spot mod), put your old lovely dining table outside and they should stop bothering you.

If they're just pathing through your base to get to their waiting zone that's not really fixable besides a locks mod, all your flooring just makes going through a base especially attractive for pathfinding.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Raiding outposts is a nice mood boost for a raider culture regardless of what it has, but the decay on the mood is long enough that you don't need to go raiding everything. Steel mines are like having steel sites from the long range mineral scanner except they come with free food and bedrooms for your raiders to stay while you set up the drop pod launcher to take all the steel away, and you don't need to mine it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

your perception of them may be affected by whatever equip you're using at the point you're ready to engage them but they are not slow or inaccurate:
Centipede: power 17 blunt 2.6 cooldown
Megaspider: power 12 cut 2.6 cooldown

they are no more or less accurate than most non-humanoid enemies (62%). even the shooty mechanoids (lancer or pikeman e.g.) are much better *in melee* than megaspiders, which is just loving bananas imo
e: as to sponginess they have 70% blunt armor and 4.32 health scale (i.e. they have 4.32 times more life than a humanoid pawn)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 5, 2021

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rimworld: Complex game of interpersonal relationships and resource management in harsh conditions

Also Rimworld:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Mechanoids are best engaged in melee because their guns are generally scarier than their punch, but if you don't have a melee spec pawn ready to go it's problematic. Clusters gently caress with that dynamic by having turrets make closing for melee less feasible. I've had reasonable success using a charge sniper pawn hover at the edge of the turret range and just plink away though, the turret accuracy is garbage that far out. Bring backup to clean up any mechs that get woken up and try to close, if the cluster has low shields you might be in trouble. Single use deployables like Orbital Lasers or Tornado Generators are a thing and worth keeping around for helping with nasty clusters if you can get your hands on any.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you are not engaging centipedes 1:1 in melee in the unmodded game and reliably coming out on top. if you get single centipedes or you can space them out long enough to engage them singly with a small squad of melee, fine, but when they are coming in batches of 8 or 12, if you dogpile the leading centipedes and try to kill it quickly you're going to get shot up by the trailing ones. and I'm saying this as somebody who dearly loves fielding armored melee guys, this just stops working once you are getting more than a couple of centipedes.

thankfully at least now there are more options to cheese them e.g. psycasts and smoke and deployable low shields but I'm just not super fond of that specific corner of content.

isndl
May 2, 2012
If you're appropriately skilled and geared up (armored and a good blunt weapon, possibly drugged up too), I think going 1v1 isn't so bad. That 17 damage punch hurts but so does a 15 damage 24 shot burst from the heavy charge blaster, it's turning into a numbers game so decide where you're comfortable in terms of risk.

When centipedes start coming in big batches it's time to be investing in shield belts, I think. You ought to be able to afford it by then.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a zeushammer pawn with not-poo poo melee skill will definitely teach a centipede a lesson or two but then you realize you just said you need a specifically trained and ultratech-armed pawn to deal with a vanilla threat

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean late game dozen+ centipede raids are intentionally the hardest thing Rimworld throws at you vanilla and there's no real elegant way to handle it beyond slowing the rate of fire with EMP, having decent armor and praying not too many pawns take charge bolts to the face, and ideally either several rocket launchers or at least a few high armor pen weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make Artillerism an Ideology. Believers can make mortar barrels but get a negative moodlet whenever they have to fire or swing a weapon themselves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Asimo posted:

I mean late game dozen+ centipede raids are intentionally the hardest thing Rimworld throws at you vanilla and there's no real elegant way to handle it beyond slowing the rate of fire with EMP, having decent armor and praying not too many pawns take charge bolts to the face, and ideally either several rocket launchers or at least a few high armor pen weapons.

and that's fine, and I'm not even saying they're impossible or even terribly hard to deal with (again you can kill large numbers of them with a mobile squad of assault rifle shooters without much risk as long as you have room to kite them, and various other ways)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I enjoy how often I'm skimming mod comments and I come across other people from this thread / SA in general.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

do none of those genetic rim pawnmorpher type mods have a human centipede you can respond in kind with

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TjyvTompa posted:

I started in a desert, those sites with 300 wood were an instant war party

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

mechanoids have always been very stupidly good at everything, especially the big ones are extremely good at both ranged and melee so I've never felt reluctant about nerfing or disabling them personally :shrug:

like I tinkered a little bit with mech clusters and just naw, not interested in cheesing those at all lol

TjyvTompa posted:

Mech clusters stink because the only way to defeat them is by massive numbers. Bait an infestation into them, bait a raid into them, bait visitors into them. Spend large amounts of honor to drop free troops around them to keep them busy while you destroy them. Especially those cannons they have just gently caress you up in a second, I really don't understand how you are supposed to defeat them without doing something "gamey". That is my experience anyway. Maybe the trick is to use melee, I actually never tried it, I always go for guns because....pew pew.

The big thing you need to remember with mech clusters is how smoke works, specifically that it stops turrets from targeting you at all.

You gotta smoke em up to deal with the turrets, basically. But yeah they are difficult to deal with still because of the active mechanoids that defend them, and the shields. If you can take care of those though, then dealing with just the turrets is actually fairly trivial if you have smoke launchers/belts.

I still think the termites are a bit daft because they just cause so much property damage that they're a chore to deal with.

Asimo posted:

I'm not sure if it's a recent change but actually I've found that charge blasters seem a lot less accurate than they used to be, to the point that I would definitely rather fight a centipede from behind cover than I would try to melee it.

Inferno cannons can be a bastard though for making your dudes break cover, but they also don't do super high damage on their own.

If you can slow their advance enough to take them on one at a time, or skirmish them with sniper rifles, centipedes aren't too tough on their own.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 5, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it'd be great if we could get smoke grenades rather than smoke launchers, smoke launchers have all the problems of the other launcher styles (poo poo ROF, poo poo accuracy, poo poo AOE) without the thrown version that you'd otherwise just use to throw a bomb at your feet

i typically try to keep some smokepop packs around but those have their own issues - namely that their usage is sharply limited and you can't actually capture the full radius they use and still be safe. if you step out of the smoke to use the full impact of a belt, you're gonna be instantly acquired and those micro-stubbers pretty much never seen to miss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As always there is a mod for that :v:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ahahah the greatest thing just happened. I had a quest to accept a pretty good refugee at the cost of having 2 different factions raid me in 3 days time. 3 days pass, they show up next to each other and are mutually hostile. They open fire and each side took enough casualties to rout without me doing anything, then started retreating in the same direction, exchanging fire all the while:

Edit: picking through the bodies one of them is actually a slave that escaped my previous colony, nice touch.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 5, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ah, the Constantine Maneuver.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

metasynthetic posted:

Ahahah the greatest thing just happened. I had a quest to accept a pretty good refugee at the cost of having 2 different factions raid me in 3 days time. 3 days pass, they show up next to each other and are mutually hostile. They open fire and each side took enough casualties to rout without me doing anything, then started retreating in the same direction, exchanging fire all the while:

Edit: picking through the bodies one of them is actually a slave that escaped my previous colony, nice touch.

The streamer I'm watching had something like that happen; a raid that spawned happened to include one of the people from their previous colony in that run, complete with the legendary weapon he crafted and its goofy description.

There was a few moments of "wait, what is this guy doing here" before realizing he was part of the raid that died.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can Tortoises immigrate to a map naturally?
My latest colony venerates them, but by the time I had a colonist capable of taming, they had all been wiped out by local predators, and no more have shown up since then.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

almost certain they can repop like any other animal native to the biome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That's what I figured as well, but it's been like a year, and the only animals that have shown up are large grazers, predators, and rodents.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Termites read like Tynans subconcious grudge playing SupComm against UEF players from back in the day.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesh Forge posted:

your perception of them may be affected by whatever equip you're using at the point you're ready to engage them but they are not slow or inaccurate:
Centipede: power 17 blunt 2.6 cooldown
Megaspider: power 12 cut 2.6 cooldown

they are no more or less accurate than most non-humanoid enemies (62%). even the shooty mechanoids (lancer or pikeman e.g.) are much better *in melee* than megaspiders, which is just loving bananas imo
e: as to sponginess they have 70% blunt armor and 4.32 health scale (i.e. they have 4.32 times more life than a humanoid pawn)

Their melee is really not threatening at all compared to the whole "if the inferno cannon centipede scatters a lucky shot through smoke onto a colonist that colonist is going to panic run into the open and die" or "i guess the charge blaster one rolled enough shots to blow out a colonist's eye and kill them". It takes a centipede multiple hits in melee to vital parts to kill someone wearing no armor. It's very possible for high melee pawns in endgame vanilla gear(marine armor, plasteel longsword/uranium mace) to 1v1 centipedes in combat - this used to be my preferred vanilla way of killing them back before the fancy shmancy royalty stuff like psi powers and jump packs and monoswords got added. EMP/Smoke/Shields to get in, pair off your duelists, cut em up.

Early to midgame, yeah, you need to swamp a centipede to win, because using mediocre steel weapons means it'll take longer to finish cutting through their big life pool so they have more opportunities to hit you back. But early game you shouldn't really be seeing more than a couple per raid. You can also buy time by keeping attack dogs/wargs/whatever animal to swarm them and soak up hits for your melee pawns.

Comparing mechanoids to megaspiders in melee pound for pound doesn't work that well imo, because megaspiders come as part of gigantic swarms whereas mechanoid raids tend to be relatively compact until you reach ludicrous colony wealth due to the intensely high quality of their individual units. Yeah a centipede punches harder than a megaspider but you're going to see like 4 megaspiders for every centipede realistically.

StealthArcher posted:

Termites read like Tynans subconcious grudge playing SupComm against UEF players from back in the day.

Termites are absolutely a shining example of Tynan's vision of Rimworld(every major threat should involve significant loss) clashing directly with how most players like to play(if I prepare well I should expect to beat major threats without significant loss). It's like how Cassandra and Phoebe are designed to eventually kill the player because the original vision for the game was "build the spaceship and GTFO before you get killed" while most players just wanted to play indefinitely until they got bored.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 5, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im messing with Vanilla Factions Enhanced: Mechanoids and man i have no idea how you are meant to fight back against the mechanoids. they land ships all over, way before you have the resources to fight them, and then upgrade themselves and drop into your base and kill all your mans

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

im messing with Vanilla Factions Enhanced: Mechanoids and man i have no idea how you are meant to fight back against the mechanoids. they land ships all over, way before you have the resources to fight them, and then upgrade themselves and drop into your base and kill all your mans

Turn off total war in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I've tried a couple of playthroughs with VFE: Mechanoids (and watched a particular let's play as well), and I find it works best as part of a larger modpack. Sling some higher-powered mods in there to give you more options to defend yourself and tech up so you can actually fight back. Played right it shifts the balance of a Rimworld playthrough more into an open war rather than occasional raids.