Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Grats dude, competition is really harsh haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We decided on Kurn's. Lost almost two bubbles getting there (got owned by a drider leaving FV and then a pirate which I'd never even seen on live when I went to get my corpse) but made about a level and a half over a few hours. Then I realized how stupid I was not buying my level 15 spells to take with me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol just tell me which ones you need and I’ll bring them to you dude

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Lol just tell me which ones you need and I’ll bring them to you dude

Twinked out ogre (who had been taking all the mobs solo) trained us without a call so I decided to run back and get mine and yahweh's spells after I died because I really didn't wanna make the run back without em.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 1, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The Kurn's experience

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Level 50, gently caress yeah. Looking forward to never having a non hell level again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Level 50, gently caress yeah. Looking forward to never having a non hell level again

I'm gonna be 20 in a day or two so get me a Ghoulbane thanks :)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can give that dude a go after killing targin, kinda want a second robe anyway

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can give that dude a go after killing targin, kinda want a second robe anyway

I was gonna try for the mace in Kurns basement but the placeholder makes you KOS to the badgers which is so EQ it hurts.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was gonna try for the mace in Kurns basement but the placeholder makes you KOS to the badgers which is so EQ it hurts.

I remember getting that after a while on Red, it felt good to get a somewhat rare drop. I was already disliked by the badgers because someone had pulled them to us in a group and I didn't realize the faction was so tenuous.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember getting that after a while on Red, it felt good to get a somewhat rare drop. I was already disliked by the badgers because someone had pulled them to us in a group and I didn't realize the faction was so tenuous.

It's not the craziest drop but I got my Shiny Brass Shield on our very first (and only) trainer kill in Crushbone.

The Kurns xp is absolutely insane I got 7 levels this weekend. On to Unrest.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It seems silly to pine for having to wait for a boat and then ride on the boat, but that was huge as well and helped ground the sense of distance and scale of the world. I remember doing the run from Qeynos to Freeport and it felt like an adventure, just getting from one city to another.

I made the back and forth between BB to FV four times this weekend (once to get there for Kurns, then when I got trained and killed in Kurns to go grab my 15 spells and buddy's enchanter spells, and then to return back for Unrest after I'd leveled enough) and there is something to having to take this lengthy boat ride that gives the world a scale no modern MMOs can compare to.

Also when I initially went to Kunark I loving fell off the shuttle on the transfer to the Maiden's Voyage (they always hitch a bit when they sidle up) and swam all the way to that island with the other shuttles. My swimming skill only went up to maybe 19 lol

edit: gently caress me forgot I need a magic weapon for ghouls and mummies and poo poo rip

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 3, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You try to hit a mummy, but a mummy is INVULNERABLE!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You try to hit a mummy, but a mummy is INVULNERABLE!

Had the blade fiend pop last night and won the roll on the Gladius which I had been looking forward to until yahweh passed me the Large Dragonbone Shard some good samaritan had gifted his alt the night before.

Really missed that feeling of regrouping with people several zones later - you don't get that in any other MMO. It's nice even two decades later you can still build a reputation where people want to group with you or you can laugh about bad pulls and trains from past zones. Had a couple of our Crushbone groupmates who we hooked up with in Unrest ask us how Kurns was even.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 5, 2021

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Groovelord Neato posted:

Had the blade fiend pop last night and won the roll on the Gladius which I had been looking forward to until yahweh passed me the Large Dragonbone Shard some good samaritan had gifted his alt the night before.

Really missed that feeling of regrouping with people several zones later - you don't get that in any other MMO. It's nice even two decades later you can still build a reputation where people want to group with you or you can laugh about bad pulls and trains from past zones. Had a couple of our Crushbone groupmates who we hooked up with in Unrest ask us how Kurns was even.

Velious loot is hilarious for giving to alts. Bards PLing in Dragon Necropolis just give away PSCs or let them lot. My guild killed Kelorek'Dar and he dropped two of his 9/20 daggers that no one wanted and I just have to a brand new rogue I made. 1 week respawn Velious dragon loot.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Oil! posted:

Velious loot is hilarious for giving to alts. Bards PLing in Dragon Necropolis just give away PSCs or let them lot. My guild killed Kelorek'Dar and he dropped two of his 9/20 daggers that no one wanted and I just have to a brand new rogue I made. 1 week respawn Velious dragon loot.

I heard that ST killed KD today, were you at that fight? This was on green though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What was the aftermath/lore of killing klandicar/sleepers tomb, etc? I know luclin happened after that but I thought once klandicar died someone went and owned everyone throughout the zones. If that’s true then why did EQ even continue?

God drat I miss EQ-I don’t miss it taking up my entire life but drat if I was cool with not having a life outside of work I would totally do EQ all day every day.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The sleeper is Kerafyrm. He doesn’t kill everyone, he just rampages through zones and kills some specific NPCs and everyone in his way.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s an allegory for general society’s disdain of interracial marriage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nwin posted:

God drat I miss EQ-I don’t miss it taking up my entire life but drat if I was cool with not having a life outside of work I would totally do EQ all day every day.

I hadn't been gaming much at all anymore (pretty much only get sucked in when FromSoft has a new release) so it's weird when I check the time and realize I've been camping Unrest for five hours.

It's a good thing my brother and I shared a computer back in the day because otherwise I wouldn't have had a social life.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 7, 2021

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I got into P99 back in 2018, and went from playing video games maybe 0-2 hours a week to being logged in every free moment I had for like 16 of the next 24 months. I had way more days than I care to recall where I was basically logged in 16 hours from the moment I woke up until I went to bed.

I was neglecting my business, friendships, and my girlfriend.

I can't say I really regret it though. It was so much fun. I got a necro and enchanter to 60 and it was the most fun and engrossing experience I've had in a game that I can remember.

Got burned out and quit once my enc got to 60, and haven't played since. Thank God, this poo poo is dangerous.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

retpocileh posted:

I got into P99 back in 2018, and went from playing video games maybe 0-2 hours a week to being logged in every free moment I had for like 16 of the next 24 months. I had way more days than I care to recall where I was basically logged in 16 hours from the moment I woke up until I went to bed.

I can't say I really regret it though. It was so much fun. I got a necro and enchanter to 60 and it was the most fun and engrossing experience I've had in a game that I can remember.

Got burned out and quit once my enc got to 60, and haven't played since. Thank God, this poo poo is dangerous.

Yep, low point for me was thinking I had a chance in hell of doing the monk epic in a lovely guild with my 46 human monk and missing class so I could camp raster.

Never got him, but I sure did get a letter from my college saying I lost my scholarship for college due to lovely grades.

Ended up at community college and the university of Phoenix to finish. Things have worked out great for me in the long run, but good god EQ loving wrecked 19-year-old me.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Got that mage to 20 and had a look at research and decided it's not worth levelling it any further, jfc

I'll just put her in Unrest and nuke things once in a blue moon

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

retpocileh posted:

I had a similar experience with P99. I very briefly toyed with it around 2011 but was far too busy to really get into it, and then I completely forgot about it until I saw someone in a thread here mention that Green was coming up soon.

I then played a completely ridiculous amount of Green from the time it launched until March 2020 or so. Oddly, I credit the pandemic with helping me step away; I found nothing fun about the sudden massive influx of players and resulting overcrowding from the lockdown, which came soon after the premature re-merging of Teal and Green. Classic simply wasn’t designed to handle that many players who all know exactly where to find the best loot and XP.

I debated playing again with the release of Kunark and again with Velious, but I know that if I start it up again I will get sucked in and find myself sitting in another 20+ hour /list camp, trying to stay awake while asking myself why on earth I decided this was a good way to spend my time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A sweetie camping the basement hand delivered a Jagged Band to me up at the fireplace because nobody wanted it.

Sucks hearing from people we've been grouping with that Mistmoore isn't the place anymore Splitpaw is. Mistmoore is way cooler and has much sicker drops.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sucks hearing from people we've been grouping with that Mistmoore isn't the place anymore Splitpaw is. Mistmoore is way cooler and has much sicker drops.

Splitpaw is the new golden path dungeon? That's surprising. Whenever I bounced around Splitpaw on blue it was dead empty. Never really given much thought as to how many groups it can hold, but at least as many as Mistmoore I expect.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I notice my playtime usually spikes way up when I've been guilded versus tagged in the goon guild (solo) experience. I think the fear of missing out really feeds into the desire to be online for this or that.

Still having fun, but a lot of these stories hit close to home. Stay sane goons!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

cmdrk posted:

Splitpaw is the new golden path dungeon? That's surprising. Whenever I bounced around Splitpaw on blue it was dead empty. Never really given much thought as to how many groups it can hold, but at least as many as Mistmoore I expect.

People are obsessed with that gnoll scroll quest in Qeynos. They get 3 or 4 of the lore scrolls, run aaaaaall the way to South Qeynos, hand them in, run aaaaall the way back and try and get another set. They insist this is better xp than being in a group that is chain killing red mobs and getting loot to boot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Meatgrinder posted:

People are obsessed with that gnoll scroll quest in Qeynos. They get 3 or 4 of the lore scrolls, run aaaaaall the way to South Qeynos, hand them in, run aaaaall the way back and try and get another set. They insist this is better xp than being in a group that is chain killing red mobs and getting loot to boot.

I was wondering why people would choose such a loving boring dungeon over a cool castle with Dark Elves and sick loot and that's so funny.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
so i got tricked into playing this by two losers and now im some troll in a swamp trying to not get my fragile skull stomped in by frogs and mushrooms holding weapons. im also starving to death and broke as gently caress. im also that in the game too.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The people doing pure scroll runs are probably crazy, but if you have a druid buddy porting you back and forth (at least to SFG on blue) it's pretty quick exp. And if you just passively collect em while levelling then turn in what you have at the end of your session it adds a lot, especially if you can gate or sow yourself to cut down on the run time.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Yeah what I ended up doing last time I was in the Splitpaw range was bind at the zoneline to Splitpaw and run to the North Karana druid rings for a port to Surefall Glade. Turn in the scrolls, gate back to South Karana...saved like 20-30 minutes of running through North and West Karana if you can avoid it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The gnoll scrolls are legit a ton of xp but i cannot at all imagine doing that quest without gating back to hand them in. doing the run each time sounds like torture

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was wondering why people would choose such a loving boring dungeon over a cool castle with Dark Elves and sick loot and that's so funny.

When I last leveled there - way before Green ever launched - it was a cause for much drama. People would park alts there specifically to loot the scrolls and everything. I actually had friends banned by some arse who would wait for them to start casting on a gnoll, quickly tag it before the spell could land and then report them for KSing. You know. Classic EQ.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm still level 51 and the xp penalty is still not removed so I guess I'll just do some work

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm still level 51 and the xp penalty is still not removed so I guess I'll just do some work

We parked in Mistmoore and the (not full) group has a ranger, paladin, and bard and we're certainly feeling it.

In good news I got crested shield already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dizz posted:

so i got tricked into playing this by two losers and now im some troll in a swamp trying to not get my fragile skull stomped in by frogs and mushrooms holding weapons. im also starving to death and broke as gently caress. im also that in the game too.

If you can find a goon in-game they'll probably give you a few plat which will make the first few levels dramatically less painful.

But its the typical MMO humble beginnings. Things will pick up as you figure your way around.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Things will pick up as you figure your way around.

Narrator voice: things did not, in fact, pick up.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
god the swamp loving sucks.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
they hosed around with the ZEMs.
Paw, Cazic, Perma, Gorge, hole are in.
Guk, befallen, MM and most of kunark are out

unrest is the same as always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

The only time I've seen this work is if you are a Druid or Wiz and can port part of the way. By the time you can evac thru WK though youre way way outleveled for that quest. Maybe if you have a friend on standby?

Plus, dropping group or leaving them hanging to do a scroll turn in? eh...