Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

2KW. One time home of Santana and Ortiz.

Tornado never really got a run outside of PWG.

He did some stuff with CZW, right? I remember that he almost got a run in ROH but he exploded his knee jumping into the ring and was out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CombineThresher posted:

He did some stuff with CZW, right? I remember that he almost got a run in ROH but he exploded his knee jumping into the ring and was out for a while.

He did a few dates with both companies, some IWAMS shows & Jersey All Pro but yeah, he was very much a West Coast guy: Epic, RevPro, UPW, LA Dojo, not even sure he did many NorCal dates.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just watched Highlander for the first time and had no idea it would open with an amazingly-shot wrestling scene. Freebirds vs (internet tells me) Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and The Tonga Kid. Billed as MSG in the movie but apparently shot at the Meadowlands (which makes sense since I think MSG had already been exclusive to WWF for a while?).

What promotion/show would this have been? I'm assuming it wasn't 100% staged for the movie, since it appeared to actually be a full arena and everything. Or did they do a thing where they like paused the show and prompted the audience for a movie scene, like that Raw where they shot a scene for the Paige movie?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Flight Bisque posted:

wonder whatever happened to that pasty lad in the back.

I think he tried to diss Taka Michinoku by calling him a "smelly shorts ping pong boy" and got schooled in return. He has not recovered since.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

I just watched Highlander for the first time and had no idea it would open with an amazingly-shot wrestling scene. Freebirds vs (internet tells me) Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and The Tonga Kid. Billed as MSG in the movie but apparently shot at the Meadowlands (which makes sense since I think MSG had already been exclusive to WWF for a while?).

What promotion/show would this have been? I'm assuming it wasn't 100% staged for the movie, since it appeared to actually be a full arena and everything. Or did they do a thing where they like paused the show and prompted the audience for a movie scene, like that Raw where they shot a scene for the Paige movie?

Pro Wrestling USA. The AWA, Crockett and Memphis briefly teamed up to run supercards to oppose Vince McMahon. It fell apart very quickly but they wanted to run their biggest shows in the Meadowlands at the then Brendan Byrne Arena with Sgt Slaughter and the Road Warriors as their big draws. It started big but the shows lost steam and no one could get along!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MassRafTer posted:

Pro Wrestling USA. The AWA, Crockett and Memphis briefly teamed up to run supercards to oppose Vince McMahon. It fell apart very quickly but they wanted to run their biggest shows in the Meadowlands at the then Brendan Byrne Arena with Sgt Slaughter and the Road Warriors as their big draws. It started big but the shows lost steam and no one could get along!

MRT does not disappoint with the info, thanks!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Also, you can see the zipline camera that they used to get the big epic shot for the Highlander opening scene in the WWE Network version of that Meadowlands show
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1154623436901294081

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

RealFoxy posted:

What ended up happening with the allegations against Enzo Amore? From what I remember, he was accused of assault against a woman in a hotel. Enzo didn't deny meeting her but claimed it was consensual and I remember some of her friends even claiming that she was making it all up for attention, going as far as posting screen shots of her messages both before and after sleeping with Enzo proving that it was consensual. The case got dropped because lack of evidence, was there any more to that story?

I'm not defending Enzo, he's still a huge dipshit and he's still a total dumbass for doing coke with a random fan. He's also annoying as poo poo. I just wanted to know if anything else ever came from that
All the key details are here: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/police-report-confirms-enzo-amore-was-not-told-rape-investigation-accuser-went-public

The weird wrinkle is that it turned out that he genuinely had no idea that she had made the allegation and police were investigating. The part that was the last straw for WWE that got him fired, not telling them about the allegation/investigation, was something he was actually innocent of.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Imagine the landscape of wrestling had PWUSA succeeded. I assume that would mean WCW doesn't happen, unless Turner finances that instead. Who was booking it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Who wound up taking all the money? Verne?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

He did a few dates with both companies, some IWAMS shows & Jersey All Pro but yeah, he was very much a West Coast guy: Epic, RevPro, UPW, LA Dojo, not even sure he did many NorCal dates.

Oh yeah, he had a really fun match with Generico in JAPW. I liked Tornado and it's sad that he had to retire relatively young, although he's definitely a relic of PWG's pre-woke period and I don't think his act would age well.

Dawgstar posted:

Who wound up taking all the money? Verne?

Yes, in that he conveniently forgot to pay a lot of the guys who wrestled in those supershows.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

davidbix posted:

Also, you can see the zipline camera that they used to get the big epic shot for the Highlander opening scene in the WWE Network version of that Meadowlands show

that’s cool as gently caress

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

davidbix posted:

Holy poo poo that is a cool shot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What kind of probation would I get for strangling Mr. Bix for making me aware of the small eyes?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

6 hours unless he loses consciousness

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Actual SFX shot from Highlander. Looks kinda like Mox when he was Ambrose.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Rewatching Taker v Foley at KOTR 98. Who is the long haired ring official with the dyed streak in his mane, who helps Foley during the cage spot but also at the end? Looks like he’s a referee but can’t put a name to the face.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

britishbornandbread posted:

Rewatching Taker v Foley at KOTR 98. Who is the long haired ring official with the dyed streak in his mane, who helps Foley during the cage spot but also at the end? Looks like he’s a referee but can’t put a name to the face.

Francois Petit? He was WWE's massage therapist and semi-doctor in the '90s.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Timby posted:

Francois Petit? He was WWE's massage therapist and semi-doctor in the '90s.
Wait, the guy who played Sub-Zero in the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie?

...holy poo poo it is

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Next you'll tell me Chris Cassamasa had an ROH stint.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Will enough time ever pass to rehabilitate Jeff Jarrett's image to when he is respected for what he did? Removing context and only looking at his career objectively he seems like he would be a shoo-in - multiple time world champion, main eventer for years, started multiple wrestling companies that at one point were the second biggest in North America, part of the Jarrett family dynasty.

On the other hand - it's Jeff Jarrett. Where Triple H was a 7 pushed as a 10, Jarrett was a 4 pushed as an 11. And the context is TNA, the death of WCW, The Chosen One, slapnuts...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Will enough time ever pass to rehabilitate Jeff Jarrett's image to when he is respected for what he did? Removing context and only looking at his career objectively he seems like he would be a shoo-in - multiple time world champion, main eventer for years, started multiple wrestling companies that at one point were the second biggest in North America, part of the Jarrett family dynasty.

On the other hand - it's Jeff Jarrett. Where Triple H was a 7 pushed as a 10, Jarrett was a 4 pushed as an 11. And the context is TNA, the death of WCW, The Chosen One, slapnuts...

Also, 100% of his world championships were a combo of being because a friend was the booker, he was the promoter, and there was nobody else

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 5, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've always felt Jarrett was a perfectly acceptable midcarder who never, ever should have been near a world title and history would look kinder on him if he hadn't. Kind of like Justin Credible that way

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

I doubt it, the only reason people don't look into the racial discrimination and Terry Taylor poo poo in TNA is because TNA is such a joke and Jarrett with it. If people ever get the warm fuzzies for him, that stuff will be covered pretty quickly.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Didn't Jerry Jarrett bail in the first year of TNA when he realized his son was more focused on ego booking himself instead of making money?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smikey posted:

Didn't Jerry Jarrett bail in the first year of TNA when he realized his son was more focused on ego booking himself instead of making money?

He didn't bail on it that early but in late 2003 he was having heart issues due to stress and his doctor told him if it was his wife, divorce her, if it was his job quit, etc.

So he got out of TNA soon after.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

I've always felt Jarrett was a perfectly acceptable midcarder who never, ever should have been near a world title and history would look kinder on him if he hadn't. Kind of like Justin Credible that way

Similarly I've thought of him as a territory guy who tried to go national and couldn't quite make it. Of course in Memphis he was also surrounded by a lot of very talented people like Lawler and Fuller but he seemed to more than hold up his end while he was there.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

re: The Sushi Incident - when is Io's contract up, and what are the odds she'd go anywhere else?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's this sushi incident?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What's this sushi incident?

https://twitter.com/SkullsMedia/status/1422738775969386497

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
:crossarms:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

And here was me thinking the masked Japanese wrestler Sushi had done something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Bobby Eaton have a really good tag team with Koko Ware at one point in time? (And I realize the answer is in part 'if Eaton teamed with somebody, it was a really good tag team.')

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

forkboy84 posted:

And here was me thinking the masked Japanese wrestler Sushi had done something

Sushi-X from EGM showed up to take on all challengers in Killer Instinct.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Bobby Eaton have a really good tag team with Koko Ware at one point in time? (And I realize the answer is in part 'if Eaton teamed with somebody, it was a really good tag team.')

Yes, they were called the New Wave

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

It's even dumber when you realize that for a ton of NXT folks in Florida, sushi has been one of their favorite foods.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lid posted:

Will enough time ever pass to rehabilitate Jeff Jarrett's image to when he is respected for what he did?
Hitler was Time Magazine's Person of the Year, so anything is possible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Hitler was Time Magazine's Person of the Year, so anything is possible.

He stole it from Ric Flair

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To be fair, Time's Person of the Year is ostensibly supposed to record what the biggest news story of that year was; we all know the story of how it was almost Bin Laden in 2001, before someone pointed out that that might not be a good PR move so they gave it to Giuliani instead (lol).

Jeff Jarrett would never be Wrestling's Person of the Year unless you were doing the anti-version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was also Time's Person of the Year once. So were you!