Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

If they're grey market, then none of them are "less-shady". They're all selling stolen keys. At this point please pirate it, or else hold your nose and get the expensive version.
Are they really all stolen? Like, I get the $30 key for Mass Effect LE which just came out and has only been on sale in limited capacity for $45--that key is from a stolen CC purchase no doubt. But for a five year old game that did go on sale officially in the same price range multiple times?

Either way, I get these are all still eBay-for-keys and so the origins are dubious. But are any of the actual sites themselves any better than the others? Or is it that simply due to the dubious nature of the goods they deal with they're all equally poo poo?

I mean, sure, the $10 isn't worth it if it's a lovely experience all around. I just figured there might be some merit to these places with the idea that people might have extra Steam keys from past sales or Humble bundles or whatever lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Calling them all stolen is just hyperbole. But it is a free-for-all market, so you never know exactly where the keys come from. They might be stolen, they might be from some 10 year old bundles, they might be from a country where prices are much lower than USA/Western Europe, they might be from some "gaming site" that begged the devs for free keys.

That being said, I've used some of those grey key sites now and then, and the only time I've had trouble with keys was when some dev mistakenly revoked keys that were in a legit five year old Fanatical bundle

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 5, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In my day you used to do the legwork to steal the game yourself. Kids these days are shameful, just paying someone else to steal for you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are they really all stolen? Like, I get the $30 key for Mass Effect LE which just came out and has only been on sale in limited capacity for $45--that key is from a stolen CC purchase no doubt. But for a five year old game that did go on sale officially in the same price range multiple times?

Either way, I get these are all still eBay-for-keys and so the origins are dubious. But are any of the actual sites themselves any better than the others? Or is it that simply due to the dubious nature of the goods they deal with they're all equally poo poo?

I mean, sure, the $10 isn't worth it if it's a lovely experience all around. I just figured there might be some merit to these places with the idea that people might have extra Steam keys from past sales or Humble bundles or whatever lying around.

They sell stolen credit card purchases; that's their business model. If you have to squint and think "maaaaybe, this one particular one... could have been purchased legally?" that's called rationalization. It fell off the back of a truck, totally legitimate sale, amirite? You're either ok with buying stolen goods and/or supporting the local career grifter, or you don't buy from them. Just go pirate it if you can't afford it, many devs say they'd prefer it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfj8MxjEqA0

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Alright, well, since nobody has ever had anything good to say about keystores it sounds like I should just avoid them entirely.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Alright, well, since nobody has ever had anything good to say about keystores it sounds like I should just avoid them entirely.

unless you're buying from scumbag devs and don't want to deal w the hassle of piracy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Enough keys from G2A are stolen and end up getting chargebacked by the original credit card owner that they have a policy of not even refunding you if it happens unless you pay extra for some kinda "insurance" plan.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Greenman Gaming and Gamers Gate are legit and at times still cheaper than directly buying off steam. Just stick with them so you aren’t funding the Russian mafia and also so you don’t one day down the line get your game revoked

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Avoid sites like G2A yeah, though they aren't literally all stolen keys. It's generally fine to get poo poo that's been in a Humble Bundle for example, since a lot of people just sell their unused keys there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fights in Tight Spaces is dropping another patch, sourced from their discord.

quote:

Another big content update, and this month it's the turn of The Insiders, expect new enemies and new prison environments to fight in. We've also bumped up your defensive options with a new Dodge system, and Conditioning cards to super charge your Block decks. There's also some cracking new music to enjoy!

We've added some Quality of Life features for players who want a more relaxed playthrough, with an in-fight Rollback system and the ability to restart a failed level (these are both included as part of the difficulty level selection at the moment, but it's likely they will be separated out so players can pick and chose their level of challenge more specifically in future).

Main Features
-Dodge Cards - a new mechanic where you can gain Dodge, which allows you to avoid all the damage from the next incoming attack. Particularly useful in the late game, but offering brand new tactical options throughout the game, the Dodge cards are accompanied by a whole new set of animations
-Conditioning Cards - for those of you who enjoy more defensive decks, the conditioning ability allows you to maximise Block gained and make your agent even more resilient to enemy attacks
-New Prison Content - a whole new set of enemies and levels to bolster the second mission of the game. The Insiders' ranks are bolstered with a new variant of the Prison Guard carrying a riot shield, a fast and fearsome tattooed inmate, and a highly suspicious prison doctor. New variants of all the prison levels expand on the possibilities and the variety within the mission as a whole
-Rollback System - For players who like to be able to learn from their mistakes, we have added a limited undo feature which will allow you to roll back to the start of a turn a set number of times each fight. The number of rollbacks is based on difficulty levels, so for the FITS hardcore there's still no turning back!
-Level Restarts - For those who have asked for it, and because we know that no everyone loves the extreme brutality of the experience, there is now the option (at lower difficulty levels) to restart a level when you fail it - you can still get yourself in a sticky situation, but this way you can try again if you really mess up and don't want to lose your progress
-New and Updated Music - All the game's music tracks have been overhauled and improved, as well as some brand new tracks that have been added alongside an incredible new Boss Battle theme

Balance Changes
- Initial enemy spawns are generally fairer
-Bleeding attacks are a little more powerful
-Pep Talk can now be used to add Block to the player!
Bug Fixes
-Fix for issue where "pure" Bleeding attacks wouldn't add combo
-Fix for selection of cards in multi-stage abilities when using a controller
-Fixed Bug/Exploit that allowed the outcomes of card effects to be skipped
-AI changes to prevent weird direction choices for ranged enemies
-Additional fixes and improvements to replays
-Other small fixes

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fights in Tight Spaces is dropping another patch, sourced from their discord.

This all looks really promising. I bought this and loved it but decided to forget about it for a while while they work on it and I love seeing it come along like this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Keyshops: Are any of them slightly-less shady than others, or any that I should definitely avoid?

I'm looking to pick up Shadow Complex Remastered among a handful of older titles that never made it to the Switch. It's an Epic Games published title so while it's still available on Steam it hasn't been on sale since the EGS opened. I'd still prefer to get it on Steam since I only have Linux desktops and, ultimately, am looking to run things on the Deck. The Steam price is $15 and has been since 2017, but prior to that it went on sale for $5 a handful of times.

Checking GG.deals the usual keyshops have Steam keys for about ~$5, which I imagine are leftover keys from past sales. This includes GAMIVO, HRK, Kinguin, Eneba, G2Play, G2A. I've never done keyshops before and normally I wouldn't waste my time with them, but given the situation with Epic and that this is never going on a Steam sale again I figure it makes sense here. So, which one of these sucks the least?

I mean, they are online digital marketplaces so yeah like everyone said there is scummy behavior going on there including key purchases with stolen credit card numbers, there was a big thing with Ubisoft games getting shut down on UPlay a while back because they were keys purchased fraudulently. That can be true true whenever you are buying from the secondary market regardless of what the product is, to be honest. Think about it like buying something on craigslist. I also don't believe that ALL codes on there are from stolen credit cards, that's just a bit much, but it definitely happens. It's hard to say what the exact ratio is, no one knows that.

Most likely the newer and more expensive the game, the more likely it was purchased fraudulently.

In any case if you are concerned about protecting yourself I'd go with G2A, Kinguin and Eneba are crap, they're sketchier as you can tell from the even lower prices and their customer service is not good. With G2A at least you are pretty much guaranteed to get what you paid for.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've bought keys through most sites listed on isthereanydeal. Haven't had an issue yet.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bees x1000 posted:

I've bought keys through most sites listed on isthereanydeal. Haven't had an issue yet.

If it's on isthereanydeal, it's a legit site

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/2994316817012521380

Jupiter Hell has left Early Access! Roguelike thread thinks it's cool, and I do too. It's made by the folks who made the DoomRL (one of the best) and it's pretty cool if you like turn-based demon slaying.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

explosivo posted:

This all looks really promising. I bought this and loved it but decided to forget about it for a while while they work on it and I love seeing it come along like this.

literally my exact early access experience with all my favorite games

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/2994316817012521380

Jupiter Hell has left Early Access! Roguelike thread thinks it's cool, and I do too. It's made by the folks who made the DoomRL (one of the best) and it's pretty cool if you like turn-based demon slaying.

Buy it buy it buy it buy it. Then buy it again.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Jupiter Hell is on sale on Humble Store for 32% off (if you have Humble Choice). I think the discount is the same as Steam without Choice.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/jupiter-hell

Grabbed myself and a good bud a copy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All this key chat reminds me of the original Prey, where somehow they literally ran out of keys to sell.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/prey-2006-review

quote:

Prey is genuinely not available anywhere, with even eBay copies mostly listed as having spent their Steam code. You will find it via key resellers, but whether you're willing to support them is up to you. Prey 2006 is certainly not the game to drive you toward a decision.

https://kotaku.com/steam-sold-out-of-prey-please-try-again-later-5436298

quote:

2K's futuristic alien shooter Prey was part of the ongoing Steam end-of-the-year sale, until they ran out. That's right, Steam is completely sold out of a downloadable title, running out of keys for the game before the sale could run its course. How does this happen? Well this is speculation, but I would assume a game like Prey requires some sort of CD key, which are generated by the company selling it on Steam, and there is a finite number of them available.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Shout out to Zaphiel who sent me some trading cards, but I used the market so don't need them any more! They are a legend, and I feel bad for turning them down.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Here’s an Elden Ring Steam page on this random Thursday night.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, they added the 360 version of Skate 3 as an Xbox Cloud streaming title and it's incredible. The streamed video works will with 360 games because the graphics are already crunchy, but the controls are really snappy and I feel like I could definitely play through this whole game this way. I played so much of this back in the Goonskate days.. ah man this rules :allears:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo, they added the 360 version of Skate 3 as an Xbox Cloud streaming title and it's incredible. The streamed video works will with 360 games because the graphics are already crunchy, but the controls are really snappy and I feel like I could definitely play through this whole game this way. I played so much of this back in the Goonskate days.. ah man this rules :allears:

Goonskate days? What's that?

I love skateboarding. And skateboarding video games

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

All this key chat reminds me of the original Prey, where somehow they literally ran out of keys to sell.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/prey-2006-review

https://kotaku.com/steam-sold-out-of-prey-please-try-again-later-5436298

This is “we don’t care enough to make more” more than anything else.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

Goonskate days? What's that?

I love skateboarding. And skateboarding video games

There's a fairly robust video editing tool in the game that lets you film lines from different angles, and there was a contingency of goons playing Skate 3 and making/sharing videos. Then someone made a site called goonskate that listed everyone's entries and allowed people to vote and stuff. It was fun trying to make "realistic" looking lines that aren't flashy impossible videogame stuff.

People tended to think Skate 3 was the worst in the series but I happened to love it. If you haven't played it before I highly recommend checking it out if you like skateboard games.

E: goddamn these are funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Qag7qf3MU

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 6, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've heard a lot about it but I don't have a console to play it on unfortunately! I do really enjoy Skater XL and Session which were some recent more indie attempts at the genre. And getting a nice line, then using the video editor to film it exactly like a real line would be, is awesome in Skater XL and what I spent most of my time doing.

I think I remember seeing something about them starting work on a new Skate game? Oh yeah it was in that recent showcase, can't remember which one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

I've heard a lot about it but I don't have a console to play it on unfortunately!

You can stream it on PC now through the Xbox Play streaming service you get with the ultimate gamepass. I don't have any consoles anymore which is why I'm so stoked that I can finally play this game again :)

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

That rocks, is it capped at 30fps though?

I can't think of any single game in recent memory that I've been as stoked for as I am for skate 4, the 360 games were big in my friend group back in the day. Only a Prototype 3 release could top it for me right now

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

explosivo posted:

There's a fairly robust video editing tool in the game that lets you film lines from different angles, and there was a contingency of goons playing Skate 3 and making/sharing videos. Then someone made a site called goonskate that listed everyone's entries and allowed people to vote and stuff.

One of the worst parts about this dead forum dying is losing the cool community projects generated from the mass of people playing <thing>. Feels like this stuff doesn't happen nearly as often anymore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

doctorthefonz posted:

That rocks, is it capped at 30fps though?

Yeah it's basically streaming the game being played as a backwards compatible title on a modern console so it's just the 360 game you're getting here with no uprezzing or anything like that.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Ah well, it'll still be cool to revisit I'm sure, gonna give it a shot tomorrow I reckon

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just loaded up Skate 3 and it feels fine to play on Xcloud, surprised at how easy it was to deal with the little bit of input lag.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you care to play games on Epic Games store A Plague Tale is free on there right now. It's a good game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recognized this game because at one point a goon posted in some thread in Games asking if anyone remembered the name of "that post apocalyptic meat game", but post-apocalyptic meat game Death Trash came out in EA today and it's good:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/941460/Death_Trash/

It's an ARPG homage to oldschool Fallout with the familiar dodge-and-manage-stamina combat system we're all so used to these days, also with guns and light crafting elements. The gimmick is that this post-apocalyptic world is infected with flesh. Just big heaping mounds of meat springing up out of the ground everywhere, and in some places becoming animated and turning into monsters. You play as a mysterious entity who was kicked out of the underground habitat you were in (i.e. Vault) for being 'infected' and you need to figure out what the hell you're infected with. Beyond that your first side quest is to find friends for a lonely Flesh Kraken pictured in the first screenshot below. Some elements are inspired by *Souls but Death Trash is impressively not trying to ape *Souls overall, it's actually a pretty interesting mashup of Fallout and *Souls that doesn't feel like a clone of either one. There's text and dialog and letters/books/etc with lore in them but not as much as a straight up RPG like Fallout.

I'm about an hour in and so far it's good. There's an overworld map and then zone maps like in Fallout, and if you die you just restart from the beginning of the zone map that you're in without losing resources so it maintains a bit of the "keep re-trying it until you nail the whole run" feel of Souls games without being the same old bonfire-to-bonfire romp. The combat felt too easy at first but then ranged enemies started showing up, then showing up in groups and it got more hectic. I hear there are about 2 hours of main story content right now and another ~3+ of side quests and this is allegedly about 1/4 the length of the full game. You can focus your build around melee, guns, occult magic, or cybertech magic, there's also a stat called Empathy which opens up special dialog options, and skills like Animalism to capture/interact with animalsmeat-creatures, Lockpicking, your standard small guns/big guns/energy weapons stuff, stealth, etc.

I'm pretty happy with EA in this case meaning "feature complete and just needs later chapters added" rather than a barely functioning prototype like today's other release Starmancer turned out to be :v:

It's pretty aesthetically crude, and not just the visuals - there's a dedicated puke button for example and another early quest is about helping someone get some emesis-inducing berries so he can win a competition with someone else to see who can puke more :shrug: But it's not offensively in-your-face about it. It tries to be humorous in the same way Fallout was - like it's not throwing jokes at you constantly but there's a consistent, recurring theme of just going "heh, oh yeah, that's what this world is like" and while I wouldn't exactly call it a 'funny' game, so far there's nothing I've seen that has just really not stuck.

e: I bought it on EGS because when I searched on Steam it didn't come up - turns out that was because I set Steam to stop showing me porn games, and this game is tagged as nudity & sexual content because of the naked man you can see in one of the screenshots in this post :pwn: But I just found out it's on Steam too so I edited the link in my post seeing as this is the Steam thread

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 6, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Really liking Splitgate. Some of the maps aren't great but the portals make you feel like a galaxy brain and it's a blast to play.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 6, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

explosivo posted:

There's a fairly robust video editing tool in the game that lets you film lines from different angles, and there was a contingency of goons playing Skate 3 and making/sharing videos. Then someone made a site called goonskate that listed everyone's entries and allowed people to vote and stuff. It was fun trying to make "realistic" looking lines that aren't flashy impossible videogame stuff.

People tended to think Skate 3 was the worst in the series but I happened to love it. If you haven't played it before I highly recommend checking it out if you like skateboard games.

E: goddamn these are funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Qag7qf3MU

Is there any particular reason people thought Skate 3 was the worst? I love the game and played it so much but didn't really touch the rest of the series.

Also that "slam dunk" in the video was top notch

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has anyone tried Dreamscaper? I am curious about it and hear good things.

I also tried Jupiter Hell, and while it is certainly really well made and well worth trying, it isn't quite doing it for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

Has anyone tried Dreamscaper? I am curious about it and hear good things.

I bought it, and have gotten to the fourth stage.
It's OK. Pretty, decent controls and game flow, seems to have a fair amount of variance in weapons and skills, but I haven't been quite blown away by it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jupiter Hell is really good y’all.