Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aye, no making GBS threads down a neighbours freshly swept chimney

5th August, 135: armies of Emperor Hadrian end the 3rd Jewish-Roman War after winning the siege of Betar. A conflict that lead to an attempt to destroy Jewish culture.

Somewhere in the future a Guardian writer attributes this all to Jeremy Corbyn.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Trans representation in sports: even if it were true that trans people have some advantage over cis people in specific sports (and the research here is dubious), sports isn't an attempt to be meritocratic in terms of equal opportunity. A far bigger advantage is your access to training, funding, equipment, leisure time, and individual genetic and national luck. We do not enforce parity in those areas.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ravel posted:

Trans representation in sports: even if it were true that trans people have some advantage over cis people in specific sports (and the research here is dubious), sports isn't an attempt to be meritocratic in terms of equal opportunity. A far bigger advantage is your access to training, funding, equipment, leisure time, and individual genetic and national luck. We do not enforce parity in those areas.
I would support enforcing parity in these areas

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sebzilla posted:

Greggs has chosen today, my birthday, to launch the vegan sausage bean and cheese melt. This can only be a good sign for the coming year.

Trip report: it's good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sebzilla posted:

Trip report: it's good.

Is it like a vegan sausage roll in that it's about the same or better but lower calorie and without an egg wash? We've got vegan cheese coming into it so not sure about that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks everyone for your insights!
Yea this is very interesting, cheers

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it like a vegan sausage roll in that it's about the same or better but lower calorie and without an egg wash? We've got vegan cheese coming into it so not sure about that.

It's about eight years since I last had a regular sausage bean and cheese melt so I'm going from distant memory but yeah pretty comparable. Hot and full of beans and miscellaneous chewy lumps (is me signing my post)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Doesn't sound very authentic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

radmonger posted:

Someone who was profoundly wrong, to the point where they should not be approvingly quotes by anyone who considers themself a leftist. Almost all people of all types are oppressed in o e way or another, those with unqualified privilege are a tiny minority. Declaring the oppression someone faces to be an illusion because other things also happens to other statistical groups is an advanced form of liberal fuckery.

For the record, the quote seems to have no known attribution; it is certainly not the kind of thing either Malcom X or MLK would have said.

I don;'t quite understand what you are trying to say, particularly the bolded parts. Please can you clarify.

I have posted the quote before: To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. I think it's a useful way of understanding the rage that, for instance, some white people feel about BLM, or men feel about feminism. The loss of privilege is very threatening to them and they respond accordingly. That's why some of the language around opposition to feminism or racism casts those losing privilege as the victims.

Seconding other comments about how this thread has been very enlightening on trans rights. I was cautiously supportive before but now understand it much better, and understand where most of the opposition is coming from. (That alone is a clue on which side one should be).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

BizarroAzrael posted:

There are much better vegan cheeses available now, especially for melting, but usually not in the high end stuff. Morrison's own brand cheddar is very good for this, the only thing they've not replicated 100% is the stringy mess you sometimes get, but other than that it's really close. We use it for lasagnas.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doesn't sound very authentic.

True. I brought it home and then stuck it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Re toilets, I get the feeling that in reality, they want one toilet for cis women that look sufficiently feminine, and another for cis men, trans women (who they think are men), trans men (who think they are men), and anyone who "looks like" they might be one of the above. But this is obviously at odds with the "beep boop binary" sex idea they claim to espouse, so as Owl says, it gets skirted around.
I don't think it even goes that far. They want women to use female toilets, men to use male, and trans people to not exist.

Toilets / changing rooms are their main justification but there have been plenty of clipped shots of twitter, mumsnet etc with (transphobia spoiler) "ugh, saw a man in a dress the other day walking through sainsburys" followed by a seething description of all her non-passing features and a lurid description of what she was 'probably' going to do in the bathroom, and how they wish they could have her arrested. Or if they were visible trans male, a bunch of condescending poo poo about the 'poor thing being confused.'

It's not just toilets and changing rooms, they don't want to clock trans people at all, ever, anywhere. Like a child who equates not being able to see something with it not existing. The inside of a toilet cop's head is not rational, it's this:

They don't have to square the circle of trans men, because any time anyone strays from the gender they were assigned at birth, the terf brain defaults to 'well they shouldn't.' Any attempt to examine any further than that is met with either screamed variations of that, or 'clever' gotchas like the stainland question that don't answer their original contradiction.

gently caress TERFs.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 5, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For some people there's this vision of humanity where men and women really are essentially a different set of people, the whole men are from Mars, women are from Venus thing. Men like certain types of things, think a certain way, act a certain way, and women are the same. And obviously anyone deviating from that is confused or weird, because to them this stuff is hardwired into your brain, and the fact that they've always gone along with it as a concept makes it self evidently true to them.

The idea that you can just not buy into these constructs and enjoy any number of things or display traits that are traditionally either masculine or feminine according to your own whims, just doesn't fit into this worldview at all. So as said above, they find it confusing and unsettling and just want it to... not be happening, essentially.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 5, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I feel if you're going to spoiler text for transphobia the same should apply to pics of Glinner.

Actually you should have to apply for a special Posting License to even mention Glinner (or Pissflaps)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

BizarroAzrael posted:

From a health perspective vegan cheese seems to be terrible - all the protein in normal cheese is replaced with carbs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For some people there's this vision of humanity where men and women really are essentially a different set of people, the whole men are from Mars, women are from Venus thing. Men like certain types of things, think a certain way, act a certain way, and women are the same. And obviously anyone deviating from that is confused or weird, because to them this stuff is hardwired into your brain, and the fact that they've always gone along with it as a concept makes it self evidently true to them.

The idea that you can just not buy into these constructs and enjoy any number of things or display traits that are traditionally masculine or feminine, just doesn't fit into this worldview at all. So as said above, they find it confusing and unsettling and just want it to... not be happening, essentially.

This, and it's a kind of thinking error which is not limited to gender stuff, or perhaps that stuff's just one component of a broader failure to appreciate concepts that exist on a spectrum of contextuality rather than conforming to rigid binaries. I'm sure it's highly correlated with the right-wing authoritarian mindset.

A sad example of this type of brainspiders are the people who make the constant jokes about hating the wife or 'Er Indoors (or DH on Mumsnet I think). Just an awful way to go through life, not fully relating to the majority of the planet or even thinking that's something worth the effort.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Greggs has chosen today, my birthday, to launch the vegan sausage bean and cheese melt. This can only be a good sign for the coming year.

Happy birthday, also mine is tomorrow which must surely be the death knell of astrology

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

True. I brought it home and then stuck it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Just don't stick anything in it, for 30 seconds or otherwise.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

From a health perspective vegan cheese seems to be terribledelicious - all the protein in normal cheese is replaced with carbs.

Only seems to be delicious tbh, it's just fine most of the time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ravel posted:

Date of birth related to the Academic / Sporting year also plays a large part.
If you're born near the start of the relevant year, you're up to 1 year more developed than someone at the butt end of the year. So you're bigger, stronger, perhaps more skilled at ball catching or whatever. So because you're better, you get picked. Because you get picked, you get more training, so you become better, and maybe picked for county or whatever with even more special training and opportunities.

Happy birthday, birthday goons!

Vegan replacements chat:
I've considered going vegan, but many of the replacements for things like protein seem to be more carbs and lots of sugar (which is a carb too I know).
Don't ask me for a specific example right now because my brain is a mush after 3 days of heavy salesforcing. Something I was considering to have last week to replace chicken.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 5, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Miftan posted:

Only seems to be delicious tbh, it's just fine most of the time.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the point you're trying to make with the edit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't ask me for a specific example right now because my brain is a mush after 3 days of heavy salesforcing. Something I was considering to have last week to replace chicken.
CRM is no replacement for chicken unless you're aiming to replicate the cruelty rather than the taste.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weird question that maybe some of you with knowledge of laws and rules around housing might be able to answer:

Can someone legally be ordered out of a house they’ve been living in when they have absolutely nowhere else to go? Would a local authority have a duty to put them somewhere or ensure they have a place to go?

A friend of my wife’s has claimed his wife is getting a “court order” to have him removed from their house because they’re splitting up. He’s asked if he can come and stay with us, and my immediate reaction is “gently caress no”, because there’s just a sea of red flags to me. There’s a backstory about how mean his wife is to him and how he’s been falsely accused of hitting his step kids and the whole thing sounds shady as gently caress to be honest, to the point where I think my wife’s good nature is being taken advantage of.

Edit: for a bit more context, this would involve a move across the country with no job and no other friends or family or contacts in the area. He ‘can’t’ move to his parents who are a similar distance away because he doesn’t get on with his step dad.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 5, 2021

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That’s not the GC position though - see eg the GC talking point that trans activists are just supporting binary gender stereotyping and erasing butch lesbians etc.

Indeed I came dangerously close to terfdom by a similar route. I’d constructed this nice simple philosophy where gender didn’t exist at all; trans people were awkward for me because if gender doesn’t exist then how can it be trans? So I kind of didn’t want trans people to be real for a while. The thing that saved me was that I listened and accepted that they were real and therefore I needed to change my beliefs, whereas terfs just double down on the denial.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do not let them move in with you, not just because of the red flags, but because it'll be difficult to shift them - the council won't help if they have a sofa to sleep on.

Friends of mine split up (actually in September last year, but he refused to move out if their flat. In the end he got dragged out after a really naff suicide attempt (asthma tablets), and on release from.the hospital a friend took him in. It was supposed to be for a week at most - he's now been there two months and counting. It's a one bed flat.

On the bright side, he did manage to get a job after years of basically not caring to.

(Obviously this isn't always the case - someone who is capable of supporting themselves but needs time to look for a new flat is a different prospect from someone who isn't)

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Feel free to elaborate and list the oppression faced by the upper middle class so I can break out my tiny violin

Definitions vary on what the upper middle class is; one common one is that it people who went, or will send their children to, to public school. The individual examples listed in Wikipedia start with Boris Johnson and the Duchess of Cambridge. Basically, people who have been near-guaranteed a middle class lifestyle since birth.

So yes, I am comfortable saying that is the group who are not really systematically oppressed in any major way.

Having financial, educational and social capital objectively worse than that does feel like oppression _because it is_. If the government, say, got rid of universal health care then that would be an increase in that oppression, not a new phenomenon . The same for the right to vote, a fair trial, or anything else that would start to cause people in Other countries to start writing concerned letters to Amnesty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Feel free to elaborate and list the oppression faced by the upper middle class so I can break out my tiny violin

I must admit, I had a moment of self-doubt when I read that post. But then I saw it was radmonger and I was reassured.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

History Comes Inside! posted:

Would a local authority have a duty to put them somewhere or ensure they have a place to go?

Probably not, unless they are vulnerable through age, illness, pregnancy or violence etc. Even then they will not qualify if the council can argue they have made themselves homeless, by eg voluntarily leaving their own shared home.

Even if one council has to house them, another council across the country may not. I am going to be homeless in Cornwall soon, and would not qualify for emergency accommodation if I hadn't been here more than 5 years.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Weird question that maybe some of you with knowledge of laws and rules around housing might be able to answer:

Can someone legally be ordered out of a house they’ve been living in when they have absolutely nowhere else to go? Would a local authority have a duty to put them somewhere or ensure they have a place to go?

A friend of my wife’s has claimed his wife is getting a “court order” to have him removed from their house because they’re splitting up. He’s asked if he can come and stay with us, and my immediate reaction is “gently caress no”, because there’s just a sea of red flags to me. There’s a backstory about how mean his wife is to him and how he’s been falsely accused of hitting his step kids and the whole thing sounds shady as gently caress to be honest, to the point where I think my wife’s good nature is being taken advantage of.

Edit: for a bit more context, this would involve a move across the country with no job and no other friends or family or contacts in the area. He ‘can’t’ move to his parents who are a similar distance away because he doesn’t get on with his step dad.

The only time a spouse can be ejected from their marital home by an order like this is if the courts deem the person a significant risk of harm. If he does get ejected from his home by court order, consider that very fact.

Whether he has somewhere to go is immaterial to whether he enters your property: that is your decision, and for you to weigh the risks of. He has options other than you and a council waiting list that probably does not have a house for him. If all else fails, remind the young man that there is no need to feel down, and that it is fun to stay at the YMCA.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the point you're trying to make with the edit.

Carbs are delicious.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

knowledge of laws and rules around housing... because there’s just a sea of red flags to me.

yeah that's so many red flags you could give them to a crowd and overthrow a tsar or two

without any consideration of the laws/rules, having even a close friend to both of you come into your household to live can be fraught with difficulties let alone some guy who your partner knows who might actually be an abusive prick

In our early 20s me and my wife helped out a close friend who was in a real pinch (we had done the same for other friends short term no problem) and needed a place to stay- they proceeded to entirely ignore the agreement we made and started demanding to stay longer and longer- it utterly ruined the friendship, especially after we found her a longer term stay with my mother in law, where they proceeded to borrow money then ghost everyone for a few years because they found a real basement dweller to leech off

You see a whole other side of a person when you live with them.

I would bet the contents of my wallet that the guy isn't giving you the whole story and he's being kicked out for a good reason, steer the gently caress clear imo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

Carbs are delicious.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:mrapig::huh: still providing the laughs 8 years on.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1423266590070558720?s=20

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 5th August 2021 :siren:

It's me again yes how did you guess, cos last time, you were really impressed. If I'm going to have that stuck in my head, everyone else can as well. It's that time again to give you all a little update on the Solidarity Fund.

Charity update - The forms we need have been edited and reviewed and getting ready for submission to the Charity Commission. It's kind of crazy to think that your generosity has been so great, that we are required to do this. You are all awesome people and we really hope to keep continuing to help those in need.

Funds have taken a bit of a dip this month as there were a couple of large payouts, but we are still in a good position should you need assistance. My particular favourite moment this month was thinking back to that Fox News image where 99.6% of "poor" households dare to have a refrigerator, you know the one. Well you have helped the one of the 0.4% ensure that their food keeps fresh. An absolute necessity in this day and age.

If you are someone that is in need, no how minor or unimportant you think your need may be, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. If there is something in your life that would make things easier, get in touch. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Anyway, onto the reason that all of you are here.... BEES!! STATISTICS AND GRAPHS

July Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - :siren: Please do not donate via PayPal for the time being :siren:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They should do a documentary just following Pig Fucker around.
I want to see his dull days sitting staring out of his living room window, knowing he personally destroyed the UK for centuries to come.
The dawning desperation increasing ever constantly watching Boris blather on a TV news clip.
The random fit of rage out of the blue.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So this is maybe against my better judgement but if any east London goons want to come over to my place on Sunday 29th maybe 3pm? there will be pulled pork (and veggie things). I got doublestabbed on Monday so I will be as un-plaguey as possible by that point. I live in Barking so DM for my precise address.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

happyhippy posted:

They should do a documentary just following Pig Fucker around.
I want to see his dull days sitting staring out of his living room window, knowing he personally destroyed the UK for centuries to come.
The dawning desperation increasing ever constantly watching Boris blather on a TV news clip.
The random fit of rage out of the blue.

I strongly doubt he gives a single poo poo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
He has not stopped dum-de-dumming since he started in 2016. Every time the world gets worse, he just gets a little louder.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

So this is maybe against my better judgement but if any east London goons want to come over to my place on Sunday 29th maybe 3pm? there will be pulled pork (and veggie things). I got doublestabbed on Monday so I will be as un-plaguey as possible by that point. I live in Barking so DM for my precise address.

Big patio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cameron went and talked to Europe
dum dum dum dum dum
Then he called a referendum
dum dum dum dum dum