Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can get (at least I know for sure) S1/2/CD working fine on 351Elec, though it requires yanking the binaries from ark (easy), copying a library over that Elec doesn't have (also easy), and changing the .sh to have Elec friendly paths. You also might need to use a script to uh..actually have an exit hotkey. I might actually work on that tomorrow and get them nice and packaged. I should look at SK and Spelunky also while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

When I boot a PSX game I get told that I'm missing BIOS and that I should track 'em down for better compatibility. So far I've been rocking steady frame rates but I feel like maybe I want to address it before it makes a game I want to play all lovely? I copied over the Bios folder from the card that came with it, for what its worth.

Or is this a :filez: thing and I shouldn't be asking this question on these forums.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can get (at least I know for sure) S1/2/CD working fine on 351Elec, though it requires yanking the binaries from ark (easy), copying a library over that Elec doesn't have (also easy), and changing the .sh to have Elec friendly paths. You also might need to use a script to uh..actually have an exit hotkey. I might actually work on that tomorrow and get them nice and packaged. I should look at SK and Spelunky also while I'm at it.

Oh nice, thanks for the tip! I already tried moving the binaries from my arkOS card and patching the paths, but when I hit the library error I figured there might be a chain of other missing dependencies and gave up. I'll give that another try.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

When I boot a PSX game I get told that I'm missing BIOS and that I should track 'em down for better compatibility. So far I've been rocking steady frame rates but I feel like maybe I want to address it before it makes a game I want to play all lovely? I copied over the Bios folder from the card that came with it, for what its worth.

Or is this a :filez: thing and I shouldn't be asking this question on these forums.

Sony considers them files I guess but easy to get em (and any other bios you need) from the emulation game tech wiki.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I still don’t really get how system bios files interact with emulator software.

Is the only reason emulators don’t have the bios already cooked in a legal one? I guess a bios is copyrighted software?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, the bios is proprietary code.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rolo posted:

I still don’t really get how system bios files interact with emulator software.
On real hardware, the BIOS is code that's always resident in memory. In addition to performing the boot-up sequence, the BIOS contains library routines that games can make use of. From the perspective of the emulator the BIOS code is no different from game code--it's all still just emulated code--but since the BIOS exists on a physical chip inside the machine and not on a CD-ROM, it has to be supplied from somewhere. Also like the code on a CD-ROM, it's copyrighted and not lawful to distribute.

Now, some emulators can get away with not requiring the BIOS code. That's straight-forward for boot code, the emulator can set an initial machine configuration and put the boot track (or whatever) in RAM, but the emulator will still have to trap calls to BIOS functions that should be there and aren't, and emulate them accordingly. For the most part this works, but for games that are especially finicky about what the BIOS actually does--or perhaps are buggy but incidentally happens to work with the BIOS code, you may need to supply a real BIOS for compatibility. Generally though having the BIOS isn't going to make games more performant or anything.

For the PlayStation, Sony was careful about making changes to the BIOS code across hardware models due to games making assumptions about the BIOS code they really shouldn't. They did release a version of the BIOS specifically for use with their own emulators that strip out unnecessary parts of the boot sequence (good?) including the SONY part of the boot logo (controversial) which they shipped on the PSP and the PlayStation Classic. This is the version I use with Mednafen.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I literally just submitted a PR to Batocera to get the Sonic ports added, too. Should be in the next v32 beta.

It's pretty seamless for this one - make folders under roms/sonicretro named [whatever].son for Sonic 1/2, and [whatever].scd for CD. Toss the Data.rsdk in the folder, add the videos folder to CD if you want, and go. The exit hotkey works out of the box.

I've seen SK running on a Pi by using the Linux port and Box86, not sure how it'll run on other platforms.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 5, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On real hardware, the BIOS is code that's always resident in memory. In addition to performing the boot-up sequence, the BIOS contains library routines that games can make use of. From the perspective of the emulator the BIOS code is no different from game code--it's all still just emulated code--but since the BIOS exists on a physical chip inside the machine and not on a CD-ROM, it has to be supplied from somewhere. Also like the code on a CD-ROM, it's copyrighted and not lawful to distribute.

Now, some emulators can get away with not requiring the BIOS code. That's straight-forward for boot code, the emulator can set an initial machine configuration and put the boot track (or whatever) in RAM, but the emulator will still have to trap calls to BIOS functions that should be there and aren't, and emulate them accordingly. For the most part this works, but for games that are especially finicky about what the BIOS actually does--or perhaps are buggy but incidentally happens to work with the BIOS code, you may need to supply a real BIOS for compatibility. Generally though having the BIOS isn't going to make games more performant or anything.

For the PlayStation, Sony was careful about making changes to the BIOS code across hardware models due to games making assumptions about the BIOS code they really shouldn't. They did release a version of the BIOS specifically for use with their own emulators that strip out unnecessary parts of the boot sequence (good?) including the SONY part of the boot logo (controversial) which they shipped on the PSP and the PlayStation Classic. This is the version I use with Mednafen.

Informative! Thank you for sharing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird, so I put back in the microSD card that came with my 351P that has the stock firmware and a bunch of pre-loaded ROMS to see how the out-of-box experience was. I loaded up Mario Kart 64, and it plays flawlessly with no choppy/stuttering audio. How? Why would the audio issues happen in 351ELEC as opposed to the stock firmware?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Weird, so I put back in the microSD card that came with my 351P that has the stock firmware and a bunch of pre-loaded ROMS to see how the out-of-box experience was. I loaded up Mario Kart 64, and it plays flawlessly with no choppy/stuttering audio. How? Why would the audio issues happen in 351ELEC as opposed to the stock firmware?

This is really weird!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maybe a different RA core is being used between the two? I haven't tried much N64 yet, only Legacy of Darkness which ran pretty well

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Retro Games announced the Amiga 500 mini, which comes with 25 games and the ability to load your own off of a USB stick

https://www.polygon.com/22618467/amiga-500-mini-console-a500-retro-gaming-release-date-games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUgEOpr4Qs

The lineup they announced so far is amazing: Alien Breed 3D, Another World, ATR: All Terrain Racing, Battle Chess, Cadaver, Kick Off 2, Pinball Dreams, Simon The Sorcerer, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, The Chaos Engine, Worms: The Director’s Cut, Zool: Ninja Of The ”Nth” Dimension

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 11, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's definitely neat, though the fact that you can achieve similar results for a lot cheaper with a Pi 400 does somewhat deflate the impact it could otherwise have

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Charging $140 for that is hilarious given how cheap their C64 mini felt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want that just for the cool case but

njsykora posted:

Charging $140 for that is hilarious given how cheap their C64 mini felt.

gives me pause.

I already have a real A500 but this would probably be way more convenient to just drop into for five minutes.

e: I'm actually more excited about the mouse you get. I wonder if I could use it with my existing Amiga USB->Serial mouse adapter to get a more authentic look for the A500. The original tank mouse seems to go for buku bucks on eBay so hmm :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 11, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Was the Amiga bigger in Europe? It wasn't a thing where I grew up. Looks like a nicely done nostalgia package, though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

Was the Amiga bigger in Europe? It wasn't a thing where I grew up. Looks like a nicely done nostalgia package, though.

Yeah it was way more popular in Europe, the UK and Germany especially

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yes, microcomputers were the thing in the UK especially into the early 90s. Mostly because the games were way cheaper than consoles, and also because the console manufacturers didn't really put any effort into the UK market for a long time. It wasn't until the Mega Drive that the tide really turned in favour of consoles (also helped by the various micros being overtaken by the PC) and even then they clung on for a bit longer with various consoleised versions of them like the CD32 in the case of the Amiga, which is where the controller they're putting with this mini version comes from.

I used a C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari ST before I ever held a console pad. Sadly no-one around me when I was growing up had an Amiga so I've only ever used that through emulation and museums. The microcomputer nostalgia in the UK was also probably a big part of the creation of the Raspberry Pi 400, which is the exact same concept of being a fully self contained computer you just need to plug into a display, and Amiga fans really seemed to jump on the 400 as a vehicle for Amiga emulation pretty quick.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 11, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Well that probably explains that nostalgic boot up sequence in GTA Vice City.

https://youtu.be/UaGiMYUn7p4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well yeah, DMA Design started out on the C64 under Psygnosis. Pretty much their entire early history is on the micros, leading up of course to the original Amiga version of Lemmings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Well yeah, DMA Design started out on the C64 under Psygnosis. Pretty much their entire early history is on the micros, leading up of course to the original Amiga version of Lemmings.

Yeah I watched a YouTube documentary on them and it’s pretty wild how they came up.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

drrockso20 posted:

It's definitely neat, though the fact that you can achieve similar results for a lot cheaper with a Pi 400 does somewhat deflate the impact it could otherwise have

I fully realize what thread i'm posting this in, but: https://hard-drive.net/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

I've definitely realized that with every emulator box i've built i've spent more time setting it up than actually playing games on it :shobon:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

frogbs posted:

I fully realize what thread i'm posting this in, but: https://hard-drive.net/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

I've definitely realized that with every emulator box i've built i've spent more time setting it up than actually playing games on it :shobon:

The difference is that with the Nintendo mini consoles(and to an extent the Sega and Sony ones) is that the price difference between them and doing a full retropie setup was pretty minimal so it mostly came down to how much work someone wanted to put into getting setup and how much they valued customization, here however there's a pretty fat price difference between the A500 and getting a Pi 400 kit

And this is from someone who has bought a bunch of the mini consoles in the past and hasn't actually ever bought a Raspberry Pi before

also that article is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I've been there a time or two myself but right now I'm pretty happy with my combo of a hacked 2DS XL for DS and 3DS games and my 351V for everything else that it can handle. Got everything setup how I like so the only tinkering to do would be adding new games if I wanted.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CFox posted:

I've been there a time or two myself but right now I'm pretty happy with my combo of a hacked 2DS XL for DS and 3DS games and my 351V for everything else that it can handle. Got everything setup how I like so the only tinkering to do would be adding new games if I wanted.

Can you talk about setting up your 351V the way you like it?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Archer666 posted:

Retro Games announced the Amiga 500 mini, which comes with 25 games and the ability to load your own off of a USB stick

https://www.polygon.com/22618467/amiga-500-mini-console-a500-retro-gaming-release-date-games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUgEOpr4Qs

The lineup they announced so far is amazing: Alien Breed 3D, Another World, ATR: All Terrain Racing, Battle Chess, Cadaver, Kick Off 2, Pinball Dreams, Simon The Sorcerer, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, The Chaos Engine, Worms: The Director’s Cut, Zool: Ninja Of The ”Nth” Dimension
I think making mini consoles is neat but making mini computers such that the keyboards don't even work, and copying really bad joystick designs, is kind of self defeating

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Can you talk about setting up your 351V the way you like it?

It's just 351Elec, only include the games I will actually play, scrape for box art/manuals/etc and done.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

drrockso20 posted:

also that article is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is

This is the case with everything from that site tbh.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CFox posted:

Same but replace the 351 for a Vita. I also have a Wii U for GameCube and my tablet can do PS2/Dreamcast/Saturn.

Wow that's a lot

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Stan Taylor posted:

This is the case with everything from that site tbh.
It doesn't exist to be an article, it exists to be a headline/image/tweet you could post back when people were constantly saying stuff like that during the height of the NES/SNES classic mania

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone here have hands on with moonlight/steamlink running within 351Elec? It's apparently possible now that Anberports is supported.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The United States posted:

I think making mini consoles is neat but making mini computers such that the keyboards don't even work, and copying really bad joystick designs, is kind of self defeating

Yeah this was a weird thing about the C64 Mini, they included Commodore Basic but you then needed to plug a separate keyboard into it. I assume this will have something resembling Workbench with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Warbird posted:

Does anyone here have hands on with moonlight/steamlink running within 351Elec? It's apparently possible now that Anberports is supported.

Anberports is deprecated and most of the stuff on there doesn't work on 351Elec anymore. Moonlight is affected by this - you can't control the menus without plugging in a keyboard but it fails to scan for PCs. Honestly the screen (res and size) is a bit small for moonlight to be comfortable, though it's nice on a Vita at least.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ah bummer, that would have been nice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Got my Powkiddy A66 / Trimui Model S finally, and there's like an oily rainbow sheen on the front plastic, seemingly on the inside of the device. Its not visible when you're looking at it dead-on so its not like a major deal, but its kind of disconcerting. Does anyone else's have something like that going on?

Also, any recommendations for a screen protector?

E: after opening it up and giving the inside a good isopropyling, I can confidently say it's a property of the plastic itself, and don't open it up.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 12, 2021

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve been reading back through this thread a bit since it was linked from the Aliexpress junk thread and I really like everything I’ve read about the RG-351 but the screen size just seems too small for my old eyes. Is there anything with similar emulation and features with a 5 or 6 inch screen?

Is my best bet waiting for Abnernic to release a new one? There was an Abnernic 55x listed on the handheld spreadsheet that was posted a while back, which included a bunch of possible in development models.

To be clear I’m in no rush, I have a Pi running RetroPie already and a decent library of games, but would love to have a handheld and be able to play while I poop.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah the 551, going by their naming scheme will be a 5.5" screen.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

I’ve been reading back through this thread a bit since it was linked from the Aliexpress junk thread and I really like everything I’ve read about the RG-351 but the screen size just seems too small for my old eyes. Is there anything with similar emulation and features with a 5 or 6 inch screen?

Is my best bet waiting for Abnernic to release a new one? There was an Abnernic 55x listed on the handheld spreadsheet that was posted a while back, which included a bunch of possible in development models.

To be clear I’m in no rush, I have a Pi running RetroPie already and a decent library of games, but would love to have a handheld and be able to play while I poop.

You could get the Powkiddy RGB10 Max. It’s a Switch Lite but not.

e: I don’t know what any of the non-measurement words mean in that pic. It’s just showing its size. Screen is 5 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm guessing by Fuselage they mean..bezel/excess