Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?
Mostly on 3, 5 when I'm siegeing down down castles or trying to chase enemies around. Super annoying when every 5 seconds I get a popup about a child in my dynasty or like yet another adulterer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

I'm sure it was this. The guy has 28 Intrigue and I noticed at the end he joined the faction and my new ruler popularity with him was like negative 50 or 80 lmao.

The only hope for my save scum I guess is to have the previous ruler befriend him and/or have my new ruler give him tons of cash and/or marry off the daughter to him immediately.

I could also make him not the spymaster of the new ruler. Could help some. If I recall being on council buffs their stats? I recall noticing this when I was a vassal of the HRE and added to council.

If you're going to savescum it you should go ham, imprison and banish his rear end

And yea the council gives a small boost, but I think it's like +2

zoux posted:

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?

Speed 3 pretty much 100% of the time. Very occasionally speed 4. Recently I'd become a fan of sticking on speed 2 and never pausing, multiplayer style, it's not terrible

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 5, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

zoux posted:

I spend a lot of the first 100 years in 3-4 dealing with details trying to solidify things. Once I’m setup with a powerful kingdom/empire title and have filled most of the local dutchys with my family then I’ll spend the rest of the game mashing 5 and watching the event queues as something forces a pause every 3 seconds

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

zoux posted:

I usually play on 1 but I go up to 2 or 3 if I need a siege to go by quickly

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Not really a fan of the overextension penalty for dukes having too large of a realm. I'm at -80% income from the overextension, and it's absolutely brutal since as a vassal I can't grant independence to any of my vassals.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

binge crotching posted:

Not really a fan of the overextension penalty for dukes having too large of a realm. I'm at -80% income from the overextension, and it's absolutely brutal since as a vassal I can't grant independence to any of my vassals.

Can't you grant vassals to your liege to make them his problem rather than yours?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can grant your vassals away to your liege indeed. Though if they are your rightful vassal I expect they'll grant them right back.

Ultimately Too Large A Realm penalty isn't related to vassal count anyway, it's about the number of counties in your realm. Only solution is to promote yourself to King.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

Once I caught my son sleeping with my wife. He was my preferred heir so I accepted being cucked.
For a second, i though i had clicked on the GBS's /r/relationship thread but it made sense really quickly that no, it was the ck3 thread. You are not the rear end in a top hat, OP.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

zoux posted:

4 all the time. If Im in a difficult war and needs to be more careful, than 3. But rarely

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

4 all the time. If Im in a difficult war and needs to be more careful, than 3. But rarely
I am in the 4 all time camp too but i tend to do 2 during wars because i missed-timed a few moves with my troops a few time and it ended up in a battle a few times when my troops were supposed to exit the county untouched.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

binge crotching posted:

Hold less duchies or become the king? Its really hard to hold to dig yourself a hole where you're personally holding that many duchies. The -80% penalty is the result of your greed.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Hold less duchies or become the king? Its really hard to hold to dig yourself a hole where you're personally holding that many duchies. The -80% penalty is the result of your greed.
Yeah, hoard the best income province, get the best duke titles for income/troops and get a king title. I used to be a mega-duchy fanatic but the game really really want you to be a king. Just start collecting kings titles until the game force you to get emperors for exactly the same reasons.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 5, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm hip to the "mostly (only) develop your capitol because that's the only holding you are guaranteed to keep" strategy but: When you're in partition, can you lose titles to extra holdings you build within your own capital county?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I'm hip to the "mostly (only) develop your capitol because that's the only holding you are guaranteed to keep" strategy but: When you're in partition, can you lose titles to extra holdings you build within your own capital county?

no but they'll count against the holding limit

e: now i have an idea for non-ironman game with a large barony count with all castles in the baronies

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

No. Also if you do choose to grant away baronies within a county (usually due to the holding limit) they can be revoked again without incurring Tyranny.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I did it. I finally elevated The Isle Of Man

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tippis posted:

Can't you grant vassals to your liege to make them his problem rather than yours?

Oh, drat I didn't realize that would work, thanks! I tried just doing the grant independence, which I figured would make them vassals of the king anyway. I can't declare war or faction against my liege since he's matri-married to my niece. I hadn't realized how punishing the overextension is before I bought a claim on the duchy of Provence, and then pressed it.

verbal enema posted:

I did it. I finally elevated The Isle Of Man

It's so good. The above game I'm planning on going for it once I can get free of my liege, since I already had Eudes converted to Norse while growing up, specifically for that decision.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I guess I got lucky when I reloaded my save, as my ruler didn't die, and soon after I got the Whole of Body trait which presumably helped me live a lot lot longer.

Suddenly a holy war was declared on me so I kinda had to scramble and marry off some grand daughters to get a few alliances to shore up my army + alliance to be able to compete. It seemed like we were evenly matched, but I was able to be victorious.

And for my white peace I got...??? Not really sure. I feel like I should have gotten like 1000 piety or some poo poo for um, stopping the muslims from getting a toehold on Christendom??

Maybe I need to actually "win" but to "win" I'd probably need to invade their lands and tbh I don't really see the point.

Also, kinda weird that there isn't any sort of "Appeal to the Pope for Help" type action here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A white peace is just status quo ante bellum. You get prestige for winning though.

To win you do have to win. That doesn't require invading them though, you just need to fully control your portion of the disputed territory. Then ticking war score will eventually give you 100 Warscore, and you can force a surrender and get a whole bunch of cash for it.

As for help, if Holy Orders exist (and aren't busy fighting elsewhere) you can hire them to bolster your forces. They can be very very strong.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Huh good tip about the Holy Orders... Will have to keep that in mind for next time.

Right after I posted this I decided to load the last auto save, which happened to be pretty much right before I did the white peace and yeah drag on the war long enough to see if I can win in order to see what sort of things I get for a victory. I did try to hurry things along by invading them, which also seemed like a good way to distract them.

Anyway here's the results. Yep a bit of cash and piety but man I feel like the piety should be much, much more. I feel it should be like, putting you a chunk of the way toward forming your own religion levels of piety.

Maybe I'm bringing in too much historical context here, but I feels like disallowing the North Africans from a toehold in Europe should be a huge deal?

On the other hand, in other parts of the map with more religious diversity, perhaps there's holy wars constantly and giving too much piety would brake the game? Hm! I dunno.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 6, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Do not Elavate The Title Of Man while drunk cuz you will forget you get a free 2.5k stack of MaA for mega raiding

E: 7.5k???

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 6, 2021

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

PittTheElder posted:

As for help, if Holy Orders exist (and aren't busy fighting elsewhere) you can hire them to bolster your forces. They can be very very strong.

Quick question about Holy Orders, as I've started to get the prompt to form them in my Portugal game.

If I found a Holy Order in my territory I will be the Patron, meaning the current character can raise them without the piety cost. What happens when that the char dies? Is the heir now the Patron of that Holy Order? What if the territory is no longer under that heirs' control?

Holy Orders seem good early in a reign, but I'm not sure of their long term potential.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Your heir will remain the patron as long as they are the king (or emperor, if there is no king) that rules over the holy order's HQ. The game may briefly tell you they've lost patronage on succession but they will get it back.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once they accumulate two or three cities as they are like to do they'll be rolling with a 6k stack of MAA and are an excellent screening and flanking force while your main army handles sieges.

On the downside the holy orders for some reason don't like investing in their tenant cities and unlike vassals you're not allowed to build things on their behalf.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

Do not Elavate The Title Of Man while drunk cuz you will forget you get a free 2.5k stack of MaA for mega raiding

E: 7.5k???

Jeez, I've been crazy drunk, but I've never been "Who are these five thousand strangers" drunk.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Your heir will remain the patron as long as they are the king (or emperor, if there is no king) that rules over the holy order's HQ. The game may briefly tell you they've lost patronage on succession but they will get it back.

It’s frustrating when you die mid-war and the order disbands because of the transitioning patronage.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Speaking of piety...

After my 89 year old catholic king finally died, I married my new ruler to um his niece because he badly needed a good nearby alliance to fend off probable succession related wars and everything else decent was incredibly distant on the map.

You'd think there'd be some sort of piety or opinion penalty on this but doesn't seem like it? Perhaps only if it's immediate family?

I'm gonna need a lot of piety soon, because after Lombardy, my next big target has got to be the Papacy, and it'll be a 600 piety hit every time I start war on the Pope.

How do I farm piety fast?

First thoughts that come to mind would be shifting to a theology focus, doing a pilgrimage and maybe looking into upgrading all my temples

As an aside something that's really weird is that when looking at starting a war with the Pope and seeing which casus belli are available I noticed that all of my three brothers have a claim for the Dutchy of Tuscany. Huh that's interesting. Seems like if they all had it then presumably they inherited it and then I, the King of Sicily should have it, and yet I don't. Weird.

Next time I load up the game I'll have a closer look at that and try to see if there's anyway to figure out how they got that claim.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 6, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Go on Pilgrimages, donate to Crusade war chests (you can still join after doing that), participate in Crusades, and fighting heathen armies in your allies' wars gives piety too I think (fighting enemies in your own wars does not reward you thusly for obvious reasons).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You can also pay your head of faith gold for piety if “seek indulgences” is available on them.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You can also pay your head of faith gold for piety if “seek indulgences” is available on them.

oh!! is that what that does. Interesting.. I only noticed this option just recently, probably because I hadn't much had any reason to click on the pope before, and now I'm clicking on him all the time to weigh my war targets.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Speaking of piety...

After my 89 year old catholic king finally died, I married my new ruler to um his niece because he badly needed a good nearby alliance to fend off probable succession related wars and everything else decent was incredibly distant on the map.

You'd think there'd be some sort of piety or opinion penalty on this but doesn't seem like it? Perhaps only if it's immediate family?

This happened all of the time in real life Europe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It actually only gets going towards the end of the period, and it's primarily a Habsburg thing. Royal marriages with that level of consanguinity were quite rare up into 1400 or so.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh, thanks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Did feudalizing get less punishing lately? I saved up a bundle as my High King of Sweden (and Britannia, and Scandinavia, and also Sicily for that one achievement) and hit the feudalize button... only to find that my counties in Uppland all came with a bunch of buildings. Like, they're all at the max level of construction for what can be built given my level of development in 1001 AD. I thought I'd have to rebuild everything from scratch.

My other duchy is Essex so now it's time to use that saved cash to turn London into a powerhouse.

Also, I swear I'm not trying to breed ubermensch, it just happened this way, but just over 100 years into the game I popped out this fantastic heir:

I, uh, guess I don't need to go with Blood as my next dynasty legacy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That got changed in the first big patch months ago. City and church baronies will also be created which makes an absolutely massive difference.

And yea if you take blood legacies that will basically always happen. I don't recommend it, it kinda makes the game too easy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If you are Norse then you should forsake the blood legacies (yeah they do make things too easy) and grab those Raiding legacies. They're loving fantastic.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

That got changed in the first big patch months ago. City and church baronies will also be created which makes an absolutely massive difference.

And yea if you take blood legacies that will basically always happen. I don't recommend it, it kinda makes the game too easy.
Oh, man, this happened *without* the blood legacies. I married a brilliant Hungarian lady and that's what we made. I'm doing the raiding legacy which I think might still be fun and useful even though I can't raid anymore now that I'm feudal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah those legacies are crazy. I'm curious if the bride's family is doing blood legacies, that's pretty crazy to happen on its own.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah those legacies are crazy. I'm curious if the bride's family is doing blood legacies, that's pretty crazy to happen on its own.
House Arpad is at 2/5 Blood legacies.

I actually didn't realize that non-player dynasties had legacies. I don't know why I'd assumed they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Jimena run going well so far, but also:

Having mastered many skills, such as eating, pooping...