Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Vierakind does NOT get to decide its own fate, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jokes posted:

“Did I play the part well? Then applaud as I exit” would have been an incredibly fitting Vayne quote, juxtaposed next to Balthier’s leading man shtick.

If he survived, literally everything he wanted would have gone to poo poo. Even Venat was like “nice we did it! Well, time to die like a badass :unsmith:

Vayne didn’t necessarily want a specifically good Ivalice, that’s what the aliens wanted and they controlled history to accomplish it and he figured that was probably too lofty a goal. It definitely seemed the Occuria just cared about controlling history instead of actually doing good anyways (until we see what was gonna happen after FF12). Vayne/Venat wanted a free Ivalice and brudda they got it. Free to control themselves and to start the Catholic Church and do horrible poo poo to each other and the world for the rest of time but at least the alien CIA isn’t running poo poo anymore. Yay?

I really liked FF12

FF12 is still my favorite in the series and your analysis just highlights why I love it so much.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I think I'd take the Occuria over the apocalyptic genocide of like six different sapient species

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I did it, I Killed Chaos. I did originally start 4 white mage and did have plans to go back to that one day but seeing how buff Chaos is now I dunno if I'd go as far as to say it's impossible in this version but it definitely does not sound like an enjoyable time so I think I'm gonna shelf that one. Somehow missed two enemies somewhere and four treasure chests in the chaos shrine but that should be simple enough to finish out the 100% achievements :toot:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

I did it, I Killed Chaos. I did originally start 4 white mage and did have plans to go back to that one day but seeing how buff Chaos is now I dunno if I'd go as far as to say it's impossible in this version but it definitely does not sound like an enjoyable time so I think I'm gonna shelf that one. Somehow missed two enemies somewhere and four treasure chests in the chaos shrine but that should be simple enough to finish out the 100% achievements :toot:

Ironically 4 White Mages might have an easier time of Chaos then most other teams, although it'll be a slow start having your Masa-wielding White Mage needing to Temper up while the other WHMs drown the world in so many heals and buffs. Almost every other team runs into the limiting factor of Chaos either a) Hitting one dude like a truck for ~800 damage without buffs or Knight armor or b) Hitting everyone for ~250 damage magic damage of various types, and that sounds like a much smaller deal for four holy folks capable of throwing out big heals and full-party protection then any team involving just one. It'll just take TIME for your beatstick White Wizard to get to Actual Damage Levels, but they should be safe as hell to do it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Red Red Blue posted:

I did it, I Killed Chaos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

“Did I play the part well? Then applaud as I exit” would have been an incredibly fitting Vayne quote, juxtaposed next to Balthier’s leading man shtick.

If he survived, literally everything he wanted would have gone to poo poo. Even Venat was like “nice we did it! Well, time to die like a badass :unsmith:

Vayne didn’t necessarily want a specifically good Ivalice, that’s what the aliens wanted and they controlled history to accomplish it and he figured that was probably too lofty a goal. It definitely seemed the Occuria just cared about controlling history instead of actually doing good anyways (until we see what was gonna happen after FF12). Vayne/Venat wanted a free Ivalice and brudda they got it. Free to control themselves and to start the Catholic Church and do horrible poo poo to each other and the world for the rest of time but at least the alien CIA isn’t running poo poo anymore. Yay?

I really liked FF12

I have repeatedly posted my dissertation on why Venat was actually the real villain and was kind of a shitheel. I don't think his actual goals were at all altruistic about freeing humanity from the Occuria; he just used that to sucker in Vayne and Cid.

I also really liked FF12.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The worst Ivalice is the 14 one and even that is pretty good

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blockhouse posted:

yeah I think I'd take the Occuria over the apocalyptic genocide of like six different sapient species

In retrospect, it's neat how XIV took this idea and made the alien CIA also the guys that do the genocides, so you don't even have to make a choice!

And some people still pick wrong!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cleretic posted:

In retrospect, it's neat how XIV took this idea and made the alien CIA also the guys that do the genocides, so you don't even have to make a choice!

And some people still pick wrong!

Oh hey did you know that it's entirely possible to emphasize with an antagonist in a story while still knowing they're a bad person.

It's an amazing thing that you can do with works of fiction. You should try reading some time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing FFX on PC is a real treat and by a real treat I mean it crashes constantly thank god for autosave during cutscenes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

HD DAD posted:

Turns out when it’s not making the NES chug to death or actively having the fun sucked out of it on the 3DS, FF3 is extremely good.

this is good to hear, i played the nds version of 3 and it felt very unfun at one bit, cant remember how far i got but i know i was at the "you need to grind now" part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh hey did you know that it's entirely possible to emphasize with an antagonist in a story while still knowing they're a bad person.

It's an amazing thing that you can do with works of fiction. You should try reading some time.

I am not always arguing with you and others on this forum, sometimes I'm just making note of other, blitheringly stupid people.

We both know there is an unironic, and disappointingly large, amount of people in the 'Emet-Selch Did Nothing Wrong' camp.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao the auto-save for FFX saves during the blitzball tournament is between each half and at the start of overtime so guess who just replayed overtime until they won?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I would like to play the Final Fantasy Legend games but I wouldn't be able to stand the early '90s translation job where things are translated like IrnSwrd

I've only deeply gotten into FFL2, which really didn't have that bad of a translation BUT there was a Japan-only DS remake for it titled "SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny". That got a fan translation which I just *adore* and may be a good place to start if that's your sticking point. it still ain't Shakespear though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does early SaGa even benefit from a good translation? If I hadn’t known Romancing Saga 2/3 only got localized in like 2018/2020 or whatever by GOAT localizers 8-4 I’d have assumed the bizarrely terse dialogue was a bad jank old game localization thing and not just, Early SaGa.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Actually Ardyn, at least before his DLC, was the most successful FF antagonist.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really wish there was a push for these re-releases (talking about the PR but any, really) to make any of the previously released additional content just part of the package. Having played the games before it's hard to want to go back to a pared down version. I loved Dawn of Souls, especially. And the FFIV postgame stuff.

I may just fire up my PSP and give those another try for a bit tbh, but I do love the new music of PR. I just wish there were a "definitive" version of all this stuff I guess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think I would like to play the Final Fantasy Legend games but I wouldn't be able to stand the early '90s translation job where things are translated like IrnSwrd
2 and 3 have remakes on the DS; they're Japan only but they've both been fan translated.

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is good to hear, i played the nds version of 3 and it felt very unfun at one bit, cant remember how far i got but i know i was at the "you need to grind now" part.
You have NO idea how little that narrows it down.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF3 DS looks pretty nice but the gameplay changes suck rear end. What were they thinking???

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nice, the first rebalance mod is out for FF1. Replaces monster stats and level growths with that of the NES version and can even optionally reactivate the pennisula of power. Good to know balance modding is possible.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FF3 DS looks pretty nice but the gameplay changes suck rear end. What were they thinking???

It was headed by the same "genius" who did XIV 1.0. Pretty much says it all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Conversely I think the 3 and 4 3D remakes look ugly as gently caress. Mostly because it's near impossible to make 3D look good on the DS.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Nice, the first rebalance mod is out for FF1. Replaces monster stats and level growths with that of the NES version and can even optionally reactivate the pennisula of power. Good to know balance modding is possible.

It was headed by the same "genius" who did XIV 1.0. Pretty much says it all.

I want to say the same dude was also in charge of all the horror stories you hear about FFXI and literally none of the stuff people are actually fond of

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The 3D looked good on the DS imo, but taken outside its native environment any goodwill owing towards the hardware goes up in smoke. And even then the real thing that absolutely kills them for me is the fixed framerates, if you could at least dial those to 30 fps they wouldn't look so intensely poo poo on modern hardware

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

I want to say the same dude was also in charge of all the horror stories you hear about FFXI and literally none of the stuff people are actually fond of

Yup.

I mean, making Absolute Virtue unbeatable but trolling players into thinking it's possible actually is pretty funny but his response being to ban the players who actually managed to do it legit isn't funny at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s pretty funny.

I mean, funny as a demonstration of the staggering, pathetic pettiness of one man, not like funny for those guys who got kicked out of a thing they paid money for. But definitely funny as a testament to his all around shittiness as a dev.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

I think it’s pretty funny.

I mean, funny as a demonstration of the staggering, pathetic pettiness of one man, not like funny for those guys who got kicked out of a thing they paid money for. But definitely funny as a testament to his all around shittiness as a dev.

Lol I saw some old screenshots of FF XIV 1.0. Game sure looked nice, but what did it do? And the maps, good gods. I'm someone that gets lost in XIV sometimes (directions are not my friends) and those maps would have made me quit

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
So I bought the Pixel Remaster of FFIII since it's the only one that I really wanted and I can say that's it worth every penny.

Also Blind is a good status effect for stuff like this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I assume the concern with Famicom FFIII was that the capacity points system discouraged job change experimentation, so the stats penalty was a way you could frequently change jobs for experimentation but not change just before a boss or something. Both aren't great though and there really shouldn't be any limitation or penalty on changing jobs if that's what the user wants to do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assume the concern with Famicom FFIII was that the capacity points system discouraged job change experimentation, so the stats penalty was a way you could frequently change jobs for experimentation but not change just before a boss or something. Both aren't great though and there really shouldn't be any limitation or penalty on changing jobs if that's what the user wants to do.

Which is why 3PR does the smart and obvious thing and has no penalties or costs to switch jobs!

It basically does a lot of what 3DS should've done, and even carries over some of the job buffs 3DS had.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pyro Jack posted:

So I bought the Pixel Remaster of FFIII since it's the only one that I really wanted and I can say that's it worth every penny.

Also Blind is a good status effect for stuff like this.

Make this an emote.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh nice, I was considering a second playthrough anyway. Playing with that rebalance could be fun.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Augus posted:

imp destroys the game in ff6, I'd say that's pretty meaningful

Lots of things destroy 6, its a super broken game. Probably useful for a LLG or something.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

They are pretty strong in 7 remake

Wtf I just played through the remake and I didnt remember seeing them. I'm starting to think I have selective status effect memory loss.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Mini and toad are both in 5. Mini-ing yourself is even a niche strat in some fights for certain fiesta parties, and there's one boss in particular that you want to go into toaded if you can.

Which boss?

in 4, you can turn many humanoid enemies into other shapes. makes some encounters much easier

I always just turned someone into a pig and walked around the world map with them in the lead because that was very funny to 11 year old me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Which is why 3PR does the smart and obvious thing and has no penalties or costs to switch jobs!
Sure, but at the time FFIII DS was in development they may have felt that it would make the game too easy or something and then didn't do enough playtesting to realize it really was bad.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Make this an emote.

Here's one with transparency. Do with it what you will.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alxprit posted:

Here's one with transparency. Do with it what you will.

good rear end av

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

did they fix it in the steam version or is the exact same?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

did they fix it in the steam version or is the exact same?

The Steam and PSP ports of the DS version are exactly the same

EDIT: Almost forgot there's a phone port too

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Been a while since I played, but I believe Halicarnasus casts toad on the party at the beginning, so if you come in as toads he puts you back into fighting shape to beat his face in ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is that really new though? I'm pretty sure Thief hits for more counts as far back as Dawn of Souls.

Thieves in the PSP/Mobile versions of FF1 might've hit more often but I can't ever recall one hitting as hard as my fighter did. The thief might've gotten an extra hit a level or two before the fighter but was still weak and once you opened the canal you could buy a mithril weapon for your fighter and the thief had no real hope of keeping up. Even before you get the Excalibur you're going to have an ice sword, defender, or sun sword on the fighter/knight and only a black belt's going to out damage the fighter at that point (which shouldn't be too hard unless the party is low leveled).

Vikar Jerome posted:

they found remastered sprite work for scott in the files through datamining. meaning that maybe all the psp/gba extra content might now be upcoming dlc lol

https://twitter.com/drakey_c/status/1422767637369655298

Just pretend this post is me quoting my earlier comment that we'd probably see the extra content released as DLC.

Zerilan posted:

Each of those dungeons unlocked after an orb was lit up and had 10x the order of the orb as a number of levels iirc? So the final dungeon was like some 40 floor slog.

Except for the final dungeon they added in ToF with Chronodia as the boss. Each floor had a gimmick to complete on a timer (and you still had random encounters) and whether you completed the gimmick or not for each floor affected which of the 8(?) forms of the final boss you'd face.

And unlike the other bonus dungeons, you cannot save in Chronodia's dungeon* so you'll easily spend an hour or more getting to the fight and have one shot at it. in the other dungeons you can at least save right before the bosses and keep trying until you win or give up.

* excluding quicksave safe room shanenigans on mobile so that you can either leave with whatever xp and such you've gotten so far, or try to continue with the dungeon partially cleared.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 5, 2021