Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
What are the good items to craft because good lord that's really annoying to try to figure out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Here's a tip that I wish I had known a minute ago: If you get into a battle with The Visage and you have any eraser wisps, pop them immediately. If you erase the chain, the heart and mask will be permanently invincible.

The run I lost because of that immediately followed a run I lost because Trisagion + Ipecac just kills you. The lack of polish is kind of starting to chafe.

Hot Diggity! posted:

What are the good items to craft because good lord that's really annoying to try to figure out

Gnawed leaf isn't too expensive, and neither are a lot of the familiars that will kill stuff while you're in statue form.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Hot Diggity! posted:

Rock Bottom + Red Stew + Soy Milk is a very strong combo that isn't too hard to get. Monstro's Lung is optional but highly recommended with this.

Other notable stuff you might want:
Birthright doubles the consumables you get from touching item pedestals
Purity and D8 which work very well with Rock Bottom
Lost Contact and/or Psy Fly to be basically immune to projectiles

To get the bone heart to make rock bottom, you will probably want to use 8 pennies to craft a Portable Slot. Then go into a secret room and craft another portable slot. The first portable slot will then explode into consumables, which will always include a bone heart if you're in the secret room. If you need more pennies, you can bomb the donation machine in the shop. You can also do this in a devil room to get black hearts or angel room to get eternal hearts, and probably curse rooms for rotten hearts.

I use this to look for crafting recipes:
https://platinumgod.co.uk/bag-of-crafting/index.html

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Complaining in the thread wins again. Holy poo poo. Tainted jacob run through Mother.

You really do need blue hourglass to beat his hard runs. Goddamn.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Mega Mush is finally mine! bwahaha

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet itt but I found a bug with Jacob & Essau by mistake: if Essau picks up 9 lives it becomes impossible for you to lose the game. For some reason he gets infinite lives from it. Keep in mind this doesn't guarantee that you can win as both characters respawn with a single heart, so you can get yourself stuck in an unwinnable fight or room, but you can't lose either. You can probably exploit this on earlier floors for things like infinite money or meatboys or other things

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I still need to unlock all the tainted characters, lol

It probably doesn't help that I haven't the foggiest how to progress on the alt path but I presume it has to do with entering the mirror world on Downpour

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sharkitten posted:

It probably doesn't help that I haven't the foggiest how to progress on the alt path but I presume it has to do with entering the mirror world on Downpour

Spoiling this in case you're trying to figure it out on your own:

Kill yourself with the weird looking white flame to turn into the lost and travel through the mirror.
In the mirror world you'll find a knife handle in the item room.
In Mines II you'll find the knife blade at the demon confrontation which will create the full knife familiar.
After the harder Mom fight in Mausoleum you can use the knife familiar to open the flesh door to fight the harder Mom's Heart
Now you can enter the alternate Womb level, Corpse. Have fun!

Also keep in mind this is only to get to Mother. This has nothing to do with unlocking the alternate tainted character. To do that:
On Depths II you're guaranteed to find a skull with an X on it. Blow it up to get a Fool card
Use the card after the Mom fight and grabbing either the Polaroid or Negative, it doesn't matter which.
Touch the strange door. Make sure you've dropped a trinket in any of the previous boss rooms before moving onwards. They will turn into a consumable you'll need to use at the end of your ascent. Have fun!

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 5, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sharkitten posted:

Hint: look around the mirror floor for anything that seems out of the ordinary.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Literally my first Greed run as J&E :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey thank you for the tips and tricks, I really do appreciate it :toot:

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Word of warning for the alt-path. Always remember that you are taking an alt-path. I have messed up several runs cause I have auto-piloted down the default hole instead of taking the door plainly there in my face.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Alt path boss room trapdoors, Dream Catcher and Heartbreak are the top three Repentance things that keeps biting me in the rear end, because I forget about them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Alt path boss room trapdoors, Dream Catcher and Heartbreak are the top three Repentance things that keeps biting me in the rear end, because I forget about them.

I don't think I've ever successfully gotten the dreamcatcher sneak peek. Hitting spacebar between floors is such muscle memory for me. That thing is a 15 cent soul heart.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I finally had a good Greedier Mode run as Tainted Cain. Thanks to the thread for the advice. I was able to craft a Halo in the first floor, giving me enough survivability to do the Portable Slot -> Portable Slot -> Rock Bottom -> D8 chain. I even managed to craft the R Key and take a second lap before dealing with U. Greedier.

U. Greed still takes too loving long. I'm glad U. Greedier doesn't have boss armor.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Turns out, if Tainted Eden rolls into Glowing Hourglass and you immediately pop it, it will return you to the build you had before you get hit, and as long as you never swap out the active item, you will roll into it again the next time you get hit...

This allows you to amass items normally, as well as giving you infinite tries on any room with the caveat that you have to no-hit everything to progress.

You also get at-will hourglass by bombing yourself if you for instance want to undo entering an item room to go for a planetarium instead.

I sadly didn't get a very powerful build, but I managed to no-hit Mega Satan in 20-30 tries, and I'm now working on Delirium... After about 50 tries I've gotten him down to like 20% four times. I did try to finish one of those by not hourglassing, but after four bad rerolls the next one consistently crashes the game, thus resetting to the last save-quit, so I am very much stuck in a loop and I'm not gonna quit until I no-hit Shitlirium! (after some sleep...)

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 5, 2021

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ipecac and trisaigon was a very very bad idea

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Using Mama Mega on the mirror floor was a bad idea.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Using Mama Mega on the mirror floor was a bad idea.

lol. I can imagine the sad sigh of realization as soon as you pressed the button. Definitely had that moment many a time.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Except for complaining here how am I even going to unlock planetariums? Getting repentance or a new computer seems to have zeroed my old Rebirth save, so I’m starting over just having gotten the Polaroid again. But I’ve yet to see more than one astrology item in a run.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tainted Eve is the best.

Tech X. Sacred Heart. Baby Bender. BFF.

Mother lasted about 15 seconds.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

zokie posted:

Except for complaining here how am I even going to unlock planetariums? Getting repentance or a new computer seems to have zeroed my old Rebirth save, so I’m starting over just having gotten the Polaroid again. But I’ve yet to see more than one astrology item in a run.

I got it on my second file by playing tainted Eden with a fair amount of items and getting hit a lot (by being bad at the Satan fight).

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

zokie posted:

There's always the option to craft astrology items as Tainted Cain.

Did you try importing your save data to recover what you lost?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I finally got the Rock Bottom & Soy Milk combo, and life was good for a run

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1423766340045737984

They're still working on the next Rep update. It does not seem to be the Void floor/Delirium rework.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finally managed to find the Soul Converter as Tainted Judas. Short-circuiting the Beast battle is hilarious.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
any news on the switch release yet? Been playing Enter the Gungeon to hold me over but I want some crying babies

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Sprinkler is amazing in Greed Mode and frequently carries my successful runs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I took special care to unlock Rock Bottom after so many people recommended it, but it’s been many hours of gameplay since then and I have yet to see it.

IMJack posted:

The Sprinkler is amazing in Greed Mode and frequently carries my successful runs.

I’m willing to bet I’ve won at least a third of my Repentance greed mode runs off the strength of sprinkler + 4.5 volt.

Pinking Shears + 4.5 volt is similarly good. In both cases, every time you use the item your DPS increases, which causes the 4.5 volt to charge you up a little faster.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Congrats, you'll only ever see it in the secret room, and even then only rarely. I recommend a mod to toss it into the treasure pool. It's very fun and tricky to maximize.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tbh I'm not that impressed by sprinkler in greed mode. I prefer the scooper.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

I took special care to unlock Rock Bottom after so many people recommended it, but it’s been many hours of gameplay since then and I have yet to see it.

I’m willing to bet I’ve won at least a third of my Repentance greed mode runs off the strength of sprinkler + 4.5 volt.

Pinking Shears + 4.5 volt is similarly good. In both cases, every time you use the item your DPS increases, which causes the 4.5 volt to charge you up a little faster.

I've never seen Rock Bottom roll naturally, I've only crafted it as Tainted Cain.

If you ever get an inverted Lovers or Star card or similar item spawner, save it for a secret room.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Black August posted:

Congrats, you'll only ever see it in the secret room, and even then only rarely. I recommend a mod to toss it into the treasure pool. It's very fun and tricky to maximize.

Oh, it’s a secret room item? I’ll start buying more Mystery Gifts. Thanks!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just beat DELETE THIS on the first try :smug:

One of the first items I picked up would randomly increase both my damage and fire rate as a tear effect while another would randomly trigger The Nail, also as a tear effect. It was pretty trivial once I realized what was happening

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Just beat DELETE THIS on the first try :smug:

One of the first items I picked up would randomly increase both my damage and fire rate as a tear effect while another would randomly trigger The Nail, also as a tear effect. It was pretty trivial once I realized what was happening

My favourite way to win DELETE THIS is to get an item that just spawns the end trophy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How the gently caress are you supposed to get boss rush as tainted laz, this feels impossible unless I get lucky with mama mega

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grapplejack posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to get boss rush as tainted laz, this feels impossible unless I get lucky with mama mega

Wait for him to get buffed that's how :D

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Grapplejack posted:

You're going to need a game winner right off. Polyphemus, moms knife or Dr. Fetus. Then dive for the exit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

GrandmaParty posted:

You're going to need a game winner right off. Polyphemus, moms knife or Dr. Fetus. Then dive for the exit.

The worst part about Tainted Lazarus is that he doesn't need 1. He needs 2 to carry the run consistently. Or at least 1 god winning run and another run that's strong enough for the situations where you don't have the god Lazarus build. And it preferably has to be a passive too because actives are essentially twice as slow to charge on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

good news, the SA bonus worked and I got a mega mush, that's boss rush down. I still have to do hush but you know whatever, hush isn't actually hard to get to.

Araxxor posted:

The worst part about Tainted Lazarus is that he doesn't need 1. He needs 2 to carry the run consistently. Or at least 1 god winning run and another run that's strong enough for the situations where you don't have the god Lazarus build. And it preferably has to be a passive too because actives are essentially twice as slow to charge on him.

I really, really like tainted laz and I hope they figure out how to make him work because I can see a version of him that's like, just a blast to play but he isn't that right now.