Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's too advanced for a 10 year old without help, but no 9/11discussion is complete without Osama bin Ladin's Declaration of War against Saudi Arabia/the U.S. Weirdly enough, hating freedom(s) is not one of his reasons for attacking the U.S..

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my sister told me today that her son, 3 years old, got a positive covid test.

it was pretty much a mild cold worth of symptoms for a couple days and he was perfectly fine afterwards, but the daycare made him get tested

which is also the exact same thing my daughter had a few months ago, only it was over the weekend so she didn't even cough up her entire daycare, or it could have just been an actual mild cold, which is what we all assumed it was at the time

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 5yo was excited to see Purple Moonflowers in the yard. I asked her where she learned that name.

:rolleyes: "Daddy, I learn everything from TV!"

So pandemic homeschooling is going well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ugh, gonna have to give my dad and his wife a call later regarding putting photos of the baby on social media

we have been adamant from the beginning that we don't want pictures posted publicly on facebook or really any one else's networks. We've said repeatedly that if the little one has any online footprint it will be private, hidden and viewable only by a very small number of people* and to not repost them on public-facing platforms

My wife and I go on Facebook maybe a few times a year at this point and my wife saw that my dad and his wife have not only been putting up tons of pictures of the baby on their public profiles, but they've also been uploading pictures we've sent to them directly - something we have said in the past (several times) is to remain private and are meant for them and only them

I know they're proud and want to share their grandkid with people but gently caress me man, i dont get this boomer poo poo of just not paying attention to or respecting a very basic request like this

*i get how privacy works on a lot of these networks, but still, you get the idea

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I agree. what we’ve done(which not everyone can do) was since we all have iOS devices I created a private photo share and that has been sufficient. however for non iPhone users it can be a bit of a problem .

guessing there are similar services however you still have to program the Facebook people to not loving automatically post the pictures

I swear it’s like an eternal hs reunion to these people

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Good soup! posted:

ugh, gonna have to give my dad and his wife a call later regarding putting photos of the baby on social media

we have been adamant from the beginning that we don't want pictures posted publicly on facebook or really any one else's networks. We've said repeatedly that if the little one has any online footprint it will be private, hidden and viewable only by a very small number of people* and to not repost them on public-facing platforms

My wife and I go on Facebook maybe a few times a year at this point and my wife saw that my dad and his wife have not only been putting up tons of pictures of the baby on their public profiles, but they've also been uploading pictures we've sent to them directly - something we have said in the past (several times) is to remain private and are meant for them and only them

I know they're proud and want to share their grandkid with people but gently caress me man, i dont get this boomer poo poo of just not paying attention to or respecting a very basic request like this

*i get how privacy works on a lot of these networks, but still, you get the idea

It's not just you. My in laws are absolutely terrible about posting on facebook pictures that they are sent via email or text message no matter how many times they are told that if we wanted the picture shared online we would have posted it online. And we don't even have the kid yet (T minus three days)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thoguh posted:

It's not just you. My in laws are absolutely terrible about posting on facebook pictures that they are sent via email or text message no matter how many times they are told that if we wanted the picture shared online we would have posted it online. And we don't even have the kid yet (T minus three days)

Good luck, friend. Thankfully they send you home with a potato and they work their way up to toddler.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm really glad both my mom and my in laws have managed to respect our request not to put the kid anywhere public.

What we have done is create a private Google album for pictures. It works quite well, and while Google obviously has full access to knowing he loves ice cream and rocks, none of his peers will ever gain access to it. That's good enough for me, and easy to manage even for our boomers.

Have you tried telling them that you won't send pictures if they put them online? And knocked the camera out of their hands? Probably gonna escalate the conflict, but it seems worth it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my favorite one was when my first child was born and I texted my dad to to tell him about it and ten minutes later he posted a status update with me tagged in it announcing the birth of my son and his height and weight.

like we were still at the drat hospital.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we drew the line with no posted videos and at least having to ask before taking a picture (and loving respecting the response)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

honest question, why care at all? feels trying to fend off an incoming tsunami with a bucket

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my dad recently realized that he only joined Facebook to interact with his kids but none of us use it anymore and he's like "What am I even doing on here?"

and I'm like "posting ooh-rah usmc memes and weird right wing poo poo?"

I wish I'd never told him how to sign up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

babypolis posted:

honest question, why care at all? feels trying to fend off an incoming tsunami with a bucket

I signed away my own privacy so willingly that I'd like to give my kid at least a fighting chance at an informed decision.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

babypolis posted:

To me, it's mostly about his future classmates not being able to Google him eating hummus with his hair at age 1 and using that to bully him because kids are dumb.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Good on you for having that conversation early. It took me physically seeing my mom about to post photos she just took minutes before onto facebook and having to stop her and have The Talk. The conversation ended with her crying and freaking out about how much she loves her grandchild. Eventually I got her to understand, but I would have preferred to of had that conversation beforehand. With all the other stresses happening at once during that time, I ignorantly thought all family members were on the same page.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My kid wants to learn "kung fu" and I figure since I was really into tae kwon do as a youth I can teach him some stuff.

I'm already sore.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My kid wants to learn "kung fu" and I figure since I was really into tae kwon do as a youth I can teach him some stuff.

I'm already sore.

hah, I'm planning on doing the same with my kid. When she's old enough I'm going to teach her some basic karate for self-defense and to get her used to the movements, then we'll probably all take some BJJ as a family to learn how to fight better.

I'm also gonna teach her piano if she's interested (she probably will be, she loves music and already has her own little drum kit :3:)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hah, I'm planning on doing the same with my kid. When she's old enough I'm going to teach her some basic karate for self-defense and to get her used to the movements, then we'll probably all take some BJJ as a family to learn how to fight better.

I'm also gonna teach her piano if she's interested (she probably will be, she loves music and already has her own little drum kit :3:)

Which drum kit? My 6yo has been clamoring for drums but found actual, real drums in a used music shop "too loud and scary".

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Dunno if this is helpful, but my wife and I use the Family Album app which lets you restrict who has access to the photos. It's helpful with the boomer relatives crowd they can still comment on every upload and receive "I know! So CUTE!" responses ala Facebook, but only people you personally invite have access. Between the two of us we have enough family and close friends to hit critical mass and create enough activity that no one's felt the need to post anything publicly.

It kind of spams you with ads to buy prints of the stuff you upload, but otherwise it's been pretty good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Which drum kit? My 6yo has been clamoring for drums but found actual, real drums in a used music shop "too loud and scary".
It's a Big Band Rock N Rhythm drum set. It might be too small for a 6yo, my kid's 2 (but as big as a 3-4yo) and it fits her kinda perfectly.

But yeah if you look for kid's drum sets they've got some good options out there that might be less loud and scary for your little one's ears :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

get your kid an electronic drum kit immediately

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

get your kid an electronic drum kit immediately

Ooh that's also a really good option (if you can afford it)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I bet that's an easy cheap pickup on offerup

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I'm already sore.

In order to keep working out once my oldest stopped napping I started incorporating her into my workouts and put her in charge of my chalk. Plus she loved trying out the movements and in a few years I will buy her a kids bar. The highlight for me was she wanted a bottle of ammonia since I use it so I took an empty one and filled it with beans and she will shake it and sniff it and then pretend she got a hit of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid just turned 2 and has been very quiet for the most part. She spoke her first words a while ago, like around 15-16 months (mama & dada), but for the most part she's just said them like 2 or 3 times apiece and otherwise communicates nonverbally, either pointing at things or taking our hands and leading us to the location of whatever it is she wants at the time (snacks, pick-up, a toy she wants to play with together). We know she knows the words and understands a lot of stuff, but for whatever reason she just doesn't feel like actually saying anything.

Today she decided to climb into my lap for one of my work meetings. I put the headset on her, and as soon as I did she waved at my coworkers and said a very clear "Hi." Then she greeted her grandma with a "Hi." and when she left with grandma she gave us kisses and waved and said a very clear "Bye." :kimchi:

oh boy here we go, soon it's going to be nonstop questions and I can't wait lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My kid just turned 2 and has been very quiet for the most part. She spoke her first words a while ago, like around 15-16 months (mama & dada), but for the most part she's just said them like 2 or 3 times apiece and otherwise communicates nonverbally, either pointing at things or taking our hands and leading us to the location of whatever it is she wants at the time (snacks, pick-up, a toy she wants to play with together). We know she knows the words and understands a lot of stuff, but for whatever reason she just doesn't feel like actually saying anything.

Today she decided to climb into my lap for one of my work meetings. I put the headset on her, and as soon as I did she waved at my coworkers and said a very clear "Hi." Then she greeted her grandma with a "Hi." and when she left with grandma she gave us kisses and waved and said a very clear "Bye." :kimchi:

oh boy here we go, soon it's going to be nonstop questions and I can't wait lol

My kiddo has turned into a complete chatterbox and it's amazing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah the language explosion is really wild for you and then they will be 4.5 and start asking if they’re going to die and are you going to die…

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid is 16 months old and has been babbling for like at least six months, but still hasn't said his first word yet. he understands a lot, like a few days ago i was reading him a book that had the word caterpillar in it, and when i said that he walked over and grabbed the very hungry caterpillar and brought it to me to read it... which i think is pretty impressive for a toddler? anyway, i hope he talks soon, we're starting to get worried (but the doctor says not to worry until 18 months).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

my girl turned six months a few weeks ago and has been nothing but constant babbling, i love it but if she inherited my talkative gene, oh noooooooooooooo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

my kid is 16 months old and has been babbling for like at least six months, but still hasn't said his first word yet. he understands a lot, like a few days ago i was reading him a book that had the word caterpillar in it, and when i said that he walked over and grabbed the very hungry caterpillar and brought it to me to read it... which i think is pretty impressive for a toddler? anyway, i hope he talks soon, we're starting to get worried (but the doctor says not to worry until 18 months).

some kids just take everything in then explode in a fury of words seemingly overnight

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

some kids just take everything in then explode in a fury of words seemingly overnight

Yeah, it's been a while since I took my developmental psych classes but there's broadly 3 types of language development. One of the types does p much exactly this. And you probably only need to start being concerned after 24 months, based on what my doc said (I was starting to get concerned around 18mo)

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

lobster shirt posted:

the very hungry caterpillar

In my opinion The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of the best books ever written. In its pages it teaches you
  • day and night
  • the sun and the moon
  • the days of the week
  • numbers from one to five
  • a basic vocabulary of food
and yet it makes all of that seem effortless, as if none of that were planned or forced. Yet more important is the overall message of the story to your child: you will change as you grow up but don't worry, because you'll become something beautiful. And I could go on, it's a biology lesson, baby's first bible allegory, the folly of greed, healthy eating...

What I'm saying is your toddler has good taste as well as keen link-making skills

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

In my opinion The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of the best books ever written. In its pages it teaches you
  • day and night
  • the sun and the moon
  • the days of the week
  • numbers from one to five
  • a basic vocabulary of food
and yet it makes all of that seem effortless, as if none of that were planned or forced. Yet more important is the overall message of the story to your child: you will change as you grow up but don't worry, because you'll become something beautiful. And I could go on, it's a biology lesson, baby's first bible allegory, the folly of greed, healthy eating...

What I'm saying is your toddler has good taste as well as keen link-making skills

jeez

my toddler isn’t too fond of it and this post really brings him down a couple of notches imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think I got this here but whatever it owns

https://twitter.com/CrappyFumes/status/1397923108527370265?s=20

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my first kid loved dinosaur books and the very quiet cricket

my second kid wanted me to read enemy names from the mario encyclopedia, until we discovered dog man

my third kid doesn't have a firm preference but openly disagrees with my reading of the text, correcting me and tell me the real story after every freaking page

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid likes to pick a different book for me to read each night, and every time there's a cat on the page she points at it until I say "cat!" Then her eyes light up and she taps it excitedly so i go "cat cat cat cat cat cat!" until she giggles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy poo poo that rules

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
All good children's books seem to have some psychological truth at its core.

Hungry caterpillar, Where the wild things are, Not now Bernard, etc.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Love You Forever :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

this owns I need return the book to the sleep rotation

took it out because kiddo kept unwrapping the cover