Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Have you played Transcendance? How does it stack up I can't think of any other 2d shooter space roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I watched like 5 minutes of gameplay of it in a review and just put it on my wishlist instantly.

I didn't immediately buy and download it, because I'm still on my second run of DSP and having a boatload of fun. I had 124 hours on my first run and did things excrutiatingly-inefficient and still enjoyed it. Small-scale expanding here to solve one bottleneck, small-scale expanding there to solve the next one, branching off a high-tier-product line off pre-existing infrastructure only to create like four new bottlenecks, bottling black holes for vanity purposes etc.

I'm now 20 hours into my new run (built up fully-automated purple research just in the home system after 10 hours) and I'm now fully established in three systems for rare resources, have green cubes and warpers automated, got a 8-sail/s equatorial-ejection setup on my satellite for like 1.5GW in sails alone, and I'm looking to finish up this run with a ground-up Dyson Sphere component network to see how fast I can bottle a star from start to finish with the new T2 smelters.

Blueprints in DSP own a whole lot.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have spent 20 minutes in highfleet and i like it so far

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Part of the reason I want a PC is because when I get games on steam on my macbook, I’ve been burned twice because the Catalina doesn’t play 32-bit games. Only $40 total but still, annoying.

It’s a powerful laptop so it should be able to play a lot of newish games… except it doesn’t 😠

I’m also tired of waiting for the ps5 to become available.

I’m investing in a PC as a long-term game solution. Everything else I’ll probably just use my laptop for.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Getting a new GPU is still a massive pain in the rear end, but if you're willing to transact with Goons, the secondary market is starting to level out a bit. At least it seems that way based on me looking through SA Mart over the last month or so. Baring that, pre-builts aren't a bad option if you can find one that's not terribly made.

Helping my brother build a new computer and we had all the parts but the GPU picked in March. Figured since I had an easyish time getting a 3080 and a 3070 last fall, it'd be the same deal this time but nooooope. Ended up getting him a 1060 as a stopgap till the 30XX series finally stop requiring bots to purchase.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m liking my Zephyrus G14 so far because games run well on it unlike my 16” MBP that despite having a dedicated GPU and top-of-the-line processor can’t seem to handle anything in macOS without choking and turning into a little furnace that throttles itself

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've got the Asus ROG G14, and while its not the Zephyrus, its a rugged platform for being a budget gaming laptop, extremely expandable (I have 3 hard disks in it - 2xNvme and 1x2.5") and I've crammed 64GB of ECC DDR4 SODIMM into it, and use it for both gaming and virtualization for my work. Give that its meant to be an ultra-light and thing gaming machine, I'm really happy with it.

https://twitter.com/funselektor/status/1422544577160900609?s=20

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nice

what processor?

ive been happy with my zephyrus a lot. i grabbed some cooling tray with usb fans on it to throw under it and it's been running great to an external monitor. The size of it is pretty much perfect too, for a gaming laptop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nice

what processor?

ive been happy with my zephyrus a lot. i grabbed some cooling tray with usb fans on it to throw under it and it's been running great to an external monitor. The size of it is pretty much perfect too, for a gaming laptop.

Its the Ryzen 7 4800H 8c/16t.

I use it as a desktop replacement, got two external screens on a USB 3.0 dock plus the builtin screen.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’ve been using my two crappy work monitors with my new PC since I got it a few months ago. Now that I’m in the office more, I picked up two more to keep at home. I’ve never used monitors with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz before, but figured I’d give them a try since Costco had some good sales going on.

Holy poo poo. 144Hz is incredible. Just dragging windows around on the desktop feels so much better. It’s almost painful using my monitors in the office for work stuff now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, I think that makes a much bigger difference than almost any (reasonable, modern) resolution bump.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1424321685155635207?s=20

So it is just Freedom Force but turn-based instead of action RPG

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Just give us back Marvel Heroes already

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Just give us back Marvel Heroes already

Not at all empty quoting. I need MarvCOM now, if its make your own heroes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1424321685155635207?s=20

So it is just Freedom Force but turn-based instead of action RPG

yeah this is standard procedure now for disney

marvel vs capcom infinite was kneecapped from the start with their BS, how the hell are you gonna make a marvel vs capcom game and not have wolverine

mvc2 had 2 wolverines ffs

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Didn't Infinite have X-23 as basically Wolverine?

Diablo 2 Resurrected open beta is Aug. 20 on all platforms except Switch. If you preordered you can play the beta Aug. 13. But who preorders anything these days. No assassin or necro in the beta and only acts I and II.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrong Theory posted:

Didn't Infinite have X-23 as basically Wolverine?

Diablo 2 Resurrected open beta is Aug. 20 on all platforms except Switch. If you preordered you can play the beta Aug. 13. But who preorders anything these days. No assassin or necro in the beta and only acts I and II.

Too bad Blizzard is off the table, and without Necro doubly so for me.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Too bad Blizzard is off the table, and without Necro doubly so for me.

I was really excited for D2R and D4 but after all the current news stuff both of those are off the table and it's a bummer.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bengy81 posted:

I was really excited for D2R and D4 but after all the current news stuff both of those are off the table and it's a bummer.

:same:

And then this news came out today which made that call the more easier for me
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo2/23688836/play-diablo-ii-resurrected-during-the-early-access-and-open-beta#MUTLIPLAYER%20AND%20MISC

TLDR: Actually we changed our minds, no more TCP/IP support. Dedicated servers only.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
gently caress that. the whole joy of StarCraft and Diablo/Diablo2 was direct connect multiplayer.

Just.....ugh

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Rally Kenya update is live on Art of Rally with new cars and stages. It's really good :toot:

Some of the Kenya tracks are really long and difficult to get through without making at least one brutal mistake.

edit:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 12, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Rally Kenya update is live on Art of Rally with new cars and stages. It's really good :toot:

Some of the Kenya tracks are really long and difficult to get through without making at least one brutal mistake.

edit:

Nice, I need to go run that course.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just got an email from GOG informing me that Frostpunk 2 is coming soon. No real details yet, but :getin:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Beware of roadside concrete zebras

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Anythings better than those german roads lined with concrete tombstone barriers. No I can't stay on the road :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just got an email from GOG informing me that Frostpunk 2 is coming soon. No real details yet, but :getin:

Oh gently caress yes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tried to buy a ps5 on Walmart.com last night

The site bugged out right at 9pm and they were sold out in six minutes.

But good news, people on Twitter are talking about how they bought five, ten, or even 20 ps5s.

I’m happy to go without so that scalpers and bots can sell them at 4x the MSRP :)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to get an X Box Series X has been the same for me, Cole.

I got my 4K OLED TV New Years 2020, and expected to wait until February to get the x box and lol it’s the middle of loving August.

I just laugh at this point.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress yes! I'm not in an emotional state where I can play this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfHUN4gFiw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Tried to buy a ps5 on Walmart.com last night

The site bugged out right at 9pm and they were sold out in six minutes.

But good news, people on Twitter are talking about how they bought five, ten, or even 20 ps5s.

I’m happy to go without so that scalpers and bots can sell them at 4x the MSRP :)

Spouse has been wanting a PS5 for months. Nada. No luck.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Only got my Series X by buying an $800 bundle from GameStop. Included a game I already owned, and two gift cards, one that they never sent and another which had already been used. Absolute poo poo but I haven't seen one in stock since so :shrug:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

Only got my Series X by buying an $800 bundle from GameStop. Included a game I already owned, and two gift cards, one that they never sent and another which had already been used. Absolute poo poo but I haven't seen one in stock since so :shrug:

Wal Mart has the series X available for around the same price. Not a bundle though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

If you're trying to get a PS5, Sony sends out emails offering you, and just you, the chance to buy one every few weeks or so. You have to be signed up for their marketing emails but it was hassle free and I didn't have to :f5: my browser repeatedly.

If they send me another email, I'll post in here and see if I can hook someone up.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Handsome Ralph posted:

If you're trying to get a PS5, Sony sends out emails offering you, and just you, the chance to buy one every few weeks or so. You have to be signed up for their marketing emails but it was hassle free and I didn't have to :f5: my browser repeatedly.

If they send me another email, I'll post in here and see if I can hook someone up.

Suggest getting on the goon psn discord as well. They post upcoming deals and when stuff goes live. That's how I got mine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

glad i have the new laptop since i'm in basement quarantine after traveling to florida lmao

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Series S available through microsoft right now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xboxconsoles

Scroll down towards the bottom. Series S doesn't have the out of stock indicator that the Series X does.

Babysit that page if you specifically are waiting for the Series X.

This is where my friend and I both got a Series S a few months ago.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
By the time PS5s are reasonably stocked, they'll have the improved version with sufficient storage space out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I forget if I've linked this, but Iron Maiden released the theme song for Frostpunk nearly 40 years before it was released

https://youtu.be/76XH4KnrmmA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlrlUdzFKyA

also GTA3/VC/SA is coming out as a three pack for switch, supposedly by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How is the Metro series? Which do you start with?

It's a great and immersive series full of evocative set pieces and some unique mechanics. Start with Metro 2033 redux, then Last Light redux.