Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah. My brother bought a vehicle from Craigslist. He and his buddy that drove him to pick it up were both carrying pistols. Everything went well and they didn't have to use them, but ... Craigslist..

It's interesting what you took away from my comment. I meant strictly in the pre-sale portion, the "should I even bother" first line communication thing.

spankmeister posted:

Lmfao loving Americans thinking they be Wyatt Earp or some poo poo.

You're buying a car, it's not high noon at the OK Corral.

This.
If you think it's totally cool to walk around armed because actually resorting to lethal violence is more important than getting robbed then your priorities differ a whole hell of a lot from mine. If I was that skeeved going to buy a car I wouldn't be buying the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yes for christ's sake don't arm yourself when checking out things on craigslist, all you're doing is substantially increasing the odds someone (including yourself) gets murdered.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

You want the lights to go on the moment the pedal is pressed, but the pedal keeps going down quite a bit further from there. If you had the switch underneath the pedal, it would have to be some weird long-travel thing that actuates right at the beginning of its stroke but can be pushed in another inch or two while remaining connected. The switch would probably wear out faster because it's constantly moving in and out as you vary the brakes.

Ford has entered the chat.

Trucks, Crown Vics, older Explorers, and who knows what other models put the switch between the master cylinder push rod and the pedal (the switch clips to the pedal itself - also the switch is what actually pushes the pushrod, not the pedal). When the switch wears out, the lights flicker a bit when you first hit the brakes, and don't really come on unless you really get on them or put some extra pressure on the pedal to keep the vehicle stopped.

I've come so drat close to rearending high mile Fords because of this, and I've almost been rear ended a few times in my 'Vic now. Had someone tell me my brake lights don't work; had GF follow me and, yup, they ain't workin the way they should. They flash on for a second when I first tap the brakes, then don't come on until I'm at a stop or I lay into the brakes.

Here's something showing how the switch attaches

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 2, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You should probably get that fixed

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

DildenAnders posted:

Yes for christ's sake don't arm yourself when checking out things on craigslist, all you're doing is substantially increasing the odds someone (including yourself) gets murdered.

Yeah my feeling has always been that if I show up and the other party demands all my cash, I'll give it to them, and them immediately go to the police, since if I'm at the point of meeting someone I already have their name, phone number, and address. If they shoot me anyways I was probably hosed from the moment I stepped out of my truck, and being armed myself wouldn't have changed anything.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bird with big dick posted:

You should probably get that fixed

New switch should be here tomorrow. Mine's not NEARLY as bad as a ton of other Fords I see on the road, but still very much a concern.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Anyone ever successfuly undent an oil pan? I've got one that's probably best described as "caved in" and I'd feel a lot better if it weren't. With as bad as it is, I'm a bit afraid trying to straighten it out will do more harm than good though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are not just dents, but hard creases. If you straighten that out you're likely going to need to also add some weld to it to keep it from leaking.

Do-able, but that depends on what you've got to work with.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, how expensive is a replacement pan?

My TJ's pan wasn't even that bad but replacements were dirt cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also, lol....is that a 0U rack PDU on your bench as a power strip? Brilliant. I need to steal that idea.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I need to search more, but I'm seeing nothing for in-stock replacements. Pretty sure I'd need to find something second hand and dug out of the back corner of a garage.

Truck is a 1974 Scout II with a V8 for reference.

Motronic posted:

Also, lol....is that a 0U rack PDU on your bench as a power strip? Brilliant. I need to steal that idea.

Yep, it is giant and gives me useless info like how many amps my air compressor pulls. It rules.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WTFBEES posted:

Anyone ever successfuly undent an oil pan? I've got one that's probably best described as "caved in" and I'd feel a lot better if it weren't. With as bad as it is, I'm a bit afraid trying to straighten it out will do more harm than good though.

What are you worried about exactly? The capacity loss is minimal and it looks like it's way far away from the spinny bits of the engine so I wouldn't worry too much about it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

WTFBEES posted:

I need to search more, but I'm seeing nothing for in-stock replacements. Pretty sure I'd need to find something second hand and dug out of the back corner of a garage.

Truck is a 1974 Scout II with a V8 for reference.

Yep, it is giant and gives me useless info like how many amps my air compressor pulls. It rules.

These both look just like yours, or are you going oem only?

e: oops!

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 5, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Cage, you've got the wrong motor. Neither of those have a chance of fitting.

WTFBEES posted:

Hammer it out. Or buy a NOS one I guess for $325. Or cruise ebay, looks like there's a couple under one hundred dollars. But if you've got none hundred dollars, hammer. It'll be fine, it should be made of thick soft steel that bends back without cracking.

I would want that capacity back too, I run an extra quart in mine on 15-w40 to keep it quiet. Ive had some ticking before and somehow it always loses a little oil. Could be just be from the puff of smoke when I start and the worn valve guides and also the leaks everywhere.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have a 2013 Audi A4, TFSI 4-popper engine. She has about 94k miles now. Maybe a bit hard to see what the picture is of... top is towards the right.

Currently I'm losing about ~1 quart of oil every 1k miles. The dealer following the full oil consumption 'analysis' has unfortunately insisted this is normal expected consumption. It's not a huge deal to me, I'm ok popping a quart in every few fill-ups, but I'm curious what's going on.

Most of it is probably poor piston ring design from this era, but is that an additional leak I'm seeing? Or think that's just road dirt? I know I could clean it up then see if it re-occurs, I haven't tried that yet, wanted to see if others knew just from looking at it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 5, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a decent bit of seepage but to my eye that doesn't look anywhere near enough (or wet enough) to be a significant contributor to a quart per thousand mile consumption.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Inner Light posted:

I have a 2013 Audi A4, TFSI 4-popper engine. She has about 94k miles now. Maybe a bit hard to see what the picture is of... top is towards the right.

Currently I'm losing about ~1 quart of oil every 1k miles. The dealer following the full oil consumption 'analysis' has unfortunately insisted this is normal expected consumption. It's not a huge deal to me, I'm ok popping a quart in every few fill-ups, but I'm curious what's going on.

Most of it is probably poor piston ring design from this era, but is that an additional leak I'm seeing? Or think that's just road dirt? I know I could clean it up then see if it re-occurs, I haven't tried that yet, wanted to see if others knew just from looking at it.

a quick search said 500ml per 1000km so after converting that's a bit high but not far off expected

the dirty bits look like normal deposition to me and not like it's coming out hard anywhere- I am not a mechanic but I have seen an oil leak or seven on my audi before and that don't look obvious to me

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

spankmeister posted:

What are you worried about exactly? The capacity loss is minimal and it looks like it's way far away from the spinny bits of the engine so I wouldn't worry too much about it?

The capacity loss is one thing but it's not far from the pickup which keeps weighing on my mind. Plus it's clearly visible when it's bolted to the truck which looks pretty dirtbag.

StormDrain posted:

Cage, you've got the wrong motor. Neither of those have a chance of fitting.

Hammer it out. Or buy a NOS one I guess for $325. Or cruise ebay, looks like there's a couple under one hundred dollars. But if you've got none hundred dollars, hammer. It'll be fine, it should be made of thick soft steel that bends back without cracking.

I would want that capacity back too, I run an extra quart in mine on 15-w40 to keep it quiet. Ive had some ticking before and somehow it always loses a little oil. Could be just be from the puff of smoke when I start and the worn valve guides and also the leaks everywhere.

Hammer it is!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hiya AI, been a while. My Crown Vic was parked all through last year, and at some point in there, my center mirror fell off the windshield, base and all. There's a big ol block of adhesive still stuck to the glass. Good old Florida heat, eh?

So:
1. What's the best way to get the old glue off? It feels hard, I'm assuming it's some kind of epoxy.
2. What's the best way to reattach the mirror?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hiya AI, been a while. My Crown Vic was parked all through last year, and at some point in there, my center mirror fell off the windshield, base and all. There's a big ol block of adhesive still stuck to the glass. Good old Florida heat, eh?

So:
1. What's the best way to get the old glue off? It feels hard, I'm assuming it's some kind of epoxy.
2. What's the best way to reattach the mirror?

if you can, remove the old stuff with a razor blade.

There is a permatex mirror glue kits that come with a primer and activator and everything because you're gluing 2 really smooth surfaces together. they're like 5 bucks at an auto parts store.

Just make sure everything is really clean, and you only get 1 shot at it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The mirror adhesive is legit too. We had the mirror fall off in our New Yorker when I was a kid and I got the job of gluing it. It came off again, taking a chunk of glass with it. I'm still impressed with that failure.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I didn't have good luck with the little kits, despite the reviews, so I paid an auto glass place to do it. THEIR first gluing also popped off, and they extra-cleaned the windshield with some chemical or other and tried it again, after which it worked. At least it wasn't just me! :iiam:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

cursedshitbox posted:

Sorry, been away for a couple days. That would look like proportioning valve for the rear however its not an adjustable one. The hex nut just holds the biasing valve together inside.
Smaller diameter would make it easier to lock the wheel than the original wheel size.
Larger diameter tires make it less easy to lock than the original.
A narrower width tire will have a higher pressure contact patch than a wider than original tire. Road surface and conditions will influence this parameter for a lock significantly.

rear anti-lock brakes came around on pickups right around the same time this truck was built for pretty much this reason as an alternative to the load sensing proportioning valve. barring having that(or having it functional), try checking the brake adjustment on the rear brakes. Other considerations, when was the fluid last changed? dot 3/4/5.1 is hydrophillic. How are the liners(brake shoes) and their springs?
In my case it was a combo of the above 3 that solved my issues. Old fluid with old contaminated liners with a broken spring. You can test the spring simply by dropping it on the ground and listening to its noise. If it sounds dull, its no longer useful to you. If you go down this route take one side apart at a time while using the other as your guide. Shoe liners have different lengths of liner depending on whether they're trailing or leading, reversing it will make them less effective.

Hey thank you for the info! It has new brake fluid, but not sure about the springs or the adjustment or liners so will take a look Sunday. Appreciate the help!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Rear view mirror goon, make sure you glue the base on the right way. I know someone who glued theirs on upside down.

Don't be like them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

The mirror adhesive is legit too. We had the mirror fall off in our New Yorker when I was a kid and I got the job of gluing it. It came off again, taking a chunk of glass with it. I'm still impressed with that failure.

This happened with my GTI too and then the windshield cracked.
Thank jebus for no cost glass replacement with my insurance.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The previous owner of my house I guess had a boat, I've been cleaning out a shed and found several marine style fuel tanks and 6 plastic Jerry cans with various amounts of hydrocarbons of an unknown age and composition in them. What's the best way to get rid of that poo poo?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

The previous owner of my house I guess had a boat, I've been cleaning out a shed and found several marine style fuel tanks and 6 plastic Jerry cans with various amounts of hydrocarbons of an unknown age and composition in them. What's the best way to get rid of that poo poo?

Your muni or county should have a hazardous material collection periodically. That's usually the best bet.

Other than fire. AmbassadorofSodomy is kinda correct here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tactlessbastard posted:

check your local municipal website for chemical waste disposal info. There should be an office you can contact

E: fb, didnt notice that

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My dad has a degree in chemistry. Worked in foundries for several years before taking a job as an automotive engineer in stamping. I always thought he was a pretty bright dude.

When he found a random jar of fluid in his shop, he threw it in our quarterly drum fire. Neighbors heard the boom a mile away from the explosion. I still give him poo poo about that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pumped up for school posted:

My dad has a degree in chemistry. Worked in foundries for several years before taking a job as an automotive engineer in stamping. I always thought he was a pretty bright dude.

When he found a random jar of fluid in his shop, he threw it in our quarterly drum fire. Neighbors heard the boom a mile away from the explosion. I still give him poo poo about that.

that Ramses Smuckles poo poo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
"household hazardous waste" is the term they use on the west coast at least

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Audi A4 TFSI oil consumption question. I mentioned before I'm losing maybe a little less than 1 quart every 1k miles. I'm a little OCD about checking the electronic monitor (no manual dip stick equipped from factory) and it drops pretty fast from max, sits just above min for a long time, and eventually the oil level (not pressure) light comes on.

Is it a good idea to add proactively if around min, or is it perfectly safe to wait for the oil level light, which is probably programmed to around 1 quart too low?

Totally separate issue, I've noticed more than one squeak probably coming from my recently changed brake assemblies. It's also more than 1 side, happens when I hit uneven pavement like a manhole cover. Audi forums suggest it's the 'brake caliper clip'. Hopefully the dealer that changed the brakes will honor some warranty instead of charging me 200 drat bucks to say 'cannot reproduce complaint', gonna find out soon.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 7, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For the effort/reward ratio I'd add proactively at or even before min.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1999,civic,1.6l+l4+sohc,1355611,body,bumper+cover,1344
I'm replacing the rear bumper cover for a 1999 Honda Civic, however most of the (affordable) options I'm finding are unpainted. What's my best option to have the bumper painted to match the rest of the car? Will an auto body be able to do it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cheapest would be finding someone who is willing to do it on the side for cash.

Otherwise, an autobody place will do it for a couple hundred bucks.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Idle thought, is car insurance coverage going to keep up with the currently bananas used car market when it comes to repairing/replacing upon a loss during these unprecedented times?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Idle thought, is car insurance coverage going to keep up with the currently bananas used car market when it comes to repairing/replacing upon a loss during these unprecedented times?

Of course. Insurance costs will rise to cover repair and replacement costs. They won't stay in business long if they don't.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My friend sent her spare prius key through the wash. Is there a way to get a cheap replacement? Dealer wanted like 300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Head Bee Guy posted:

My friend sent her spare prius key through the wash. Is there a way to get a cheap replacement? Dealer wanted like 300

You can get key fobs on places like wish.com or aliexpress or banggood etc but you need to be really sure that the one you get matches the original and you will have to get the key programmed to the car by someone with the right equipment.