Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Gj9AgMf.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

Far be it from me to rain on the poo poo-on-Tesla parade, but after owning one for a little over a week I just don’t see the reason for it. I’m absolutely not a diehard Tesla fan, and if Ford dealers weren’t actively seeking to avoid selling anyone a Mach-E (no, I don’t want a hybrid Escape), I probably would have ended up with one of those instead.

Yes, the company cares about you as a consumer exactly as much as any other tech company with a physical product. Yes, Elon Musk should be sent into space forever along with the rest of the techbro billionaires who can’t shut up about dumb poo poo.

No, the product is not appreciably worse, at least in my experience, than any other car I’ve ever owned. It has some drawbacks (it’s academically interesting that they do auto wipers and auto high beams with ML instead of a normal sensor, but it’s slower to react than my wife’s Nissan), but does some other things much better (lane keeping drives almost exactly how I would on the freeway, and even reacts to a large truck edging into your lane by scooting over). I don’t expect the car to drive itself because I understand what present technology can and can’t do, and when I have the lane keep assist turned on, it notices whether I’m paying attention via the camera just like Ford and GM. As for quality issues, I have to have the coat hook replaced next week because it won’t stay latched (what a disaster).

Maybe if it's not a self driving car then they shouldn't call it "autopilot" and just call it lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control like every other automaker and not try and fleece thousands of dollars from their customers peddling features that don't exist.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Strabo4 posted:

cool story. hope your family doesn't get locked in and immolated
I mean, me too? It’s probably a good thing that statistically they’re safer in an EV than the vehicles with 15 gallons of gasoline, and that they know how to operate the door handle which is literally 4 inches from the shiny “open door” button.

FCKGW posted:

Maybe if it's not a self driving car then they shouldn't call it "autopilot" and just call it lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control like every other automaker and not try and fleece thousands of dollars from their customers peddling features that don't exist.

Absolutely this. Calling adaptive cruise “autopilot” and auto-lane change “full self driving” is insane and I can only imagine how much their corporate liability insurance wants them to change it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I myself will carry you to the gates of the job site

You will build eternal, matte and weather-resistant

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phanatic posted:

1. Power steering is a convenience, not a necessity, and it is entirely possible to steer a car without power steering all day long. Especially at highway speeds, where you barely need to move the wheel at all to do things like change lanes or get over on the shoulder.

2. If you're in a runaway acceleration and you're going to stop the car with the brakes, then pressing them only once, as hard as you possibly can, is the thing to do. Even on cars with ridiculous amounts of power the brakes are capable of exerting way more torque and then the engine and will easily overpower it. Where people get into trouble is by using the brakes a little bit, oh that's not working, better brake harder, oh that's not working either, and then by the time they do go full-on the brakes they've faded due to heat and now they're not stopping. That's when it's time to turn off the engine.

3. Except oh you pushed the button and that doesn't work because you're not pushing it the correct number of times or not pushing it and then holding it it for long enough and neither of things are anywhere near as obvious as the simple and common interface of turning a key from "ON" to "OFF."

Are you trying to argue that turning off the engine should be attempted before hitting the brakes or putting the car in neutral, or are you just trying to talk until everyone else gets bored and you can claim victory to yourself?

If you can find a recent case where someone was actually pressing the brakes and couldn't stop their car that might go a long way towards convincing anyone that you aren't just wasting everyone's time because you like keys.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Sonic Dude posted:

they’re safer in an EV than the vehicles with 15 gallons of gasoline

Hahahaha, it takes 25,000 gallons of water to put out the lithium fire from the vape pen batteries, so do what the poster above suggested and keep break out tools with saw attachments.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
why are so many people online willing to jump in front of a bullet/broken angle grinder cutoff disc for Tesla

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Real talk: Musk actually talked in an aspirational way about technology, which is way rarer than it should be in our world. We all know it was a scam for attention and government contracts, but that doesn't change that what he said actually resonated with people who grew up on scifi showing amazing tech doing awesome things.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

why are so many people online willing to jump in front of a bullet/broken angle grinder cutoff disc for Tesla

Tesla can sink or swim on their own merits, but EVs as a whole are absolutely going to be A Thing™ from now on, and spreading garbage about them being death traps or murdering children in their sleep isn’t useful to anyone. I’m happy to talk about the dumb poo poo Tesla does, but what’s actually useful is to help educate people on why perception doesn’t always equal reality.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to hand it to billionaires, ever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Weird. It's almost as if they have a Tesla of their own, and thought it would be helpful to share their perspective on the company.

Nah. Tesla's only bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cat Hatter posted:

Are you trying to argue that turning off the engine should be attempted before hitting the brakes or putting the car in neutral, or are you just trying to talk until everyone else gets bored and you can claim victory to yourself?

I thought I was pretty clear on what I was arguing: changing ubiquitous and universally-understood user interfaces for marketing reasons is dumb and bad.

quote:

If you can find a recent case where someone was actually pressing the brakes and couldn't stop their car that might go a long way towards convincing anyone that you aren't just wasting everyone's time because you like keys.

The thing that kicked off the whole Toyota recall was specifically a CHP officer in a borrowed ES350 who failed to stop the car with the brakes.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-oct-25-na-toyota-crash25-story.html

quote:

The report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration draws no conclusions about the cause of the Aug. 28 accident, but discloses new details, including the fact that the brakes were heavily damaged. That would seem to confirm a frantic 911 call made by Saylor’s brother-in-law from the speeding car, during which he said, “There’s no brakes.”...

In addition, the vehicle’s brake surfaces showed signs that they had been worn down through heavy braking against the full force of the 272-horsepower Lexus engine.

“Rotors were discolored and heated, had very rough surfaces, had substantial deposits of brake pad material, and showed signs of bright orange oxidation on the cooling fins consistent with endured braking,” the report said.

NHTSA investigators also noted that instructions for operating the car’s keyless ignition, which requires that the power button be pressed for three full seconds to turn off the engine while the car is moving, were “not indicated on the dashboard.”

And, no, this was not an "old person who can't find the correct pedal and then blames the computer."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to hand it to billionaires, ever.

but I have been told my entire life that if I hand everything to them that they'll graciously hand some of it back to me...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Toyota chat:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1043632_those-two-so-called-runaway-prius-cases-cars-not-at-fault

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a16576573/how-to-deal-with-unintended-acceleration/

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

When it comes to autopilot, you have a bunch of giant nerds dreaming of the day perfect self driving will save a billion lives, and acting like progress is a bar that fills up over time. The logical conclusion of that is that any self-driving attempts are ridiculously valuable and that criticism is harmful.

If you're talking about Tesla in general, it's more that everyone loves to argue, and also people that poo poo on the cars often go beyond the actual problems. If you don't use autopilot, the cars are pretty safe despite the stupid design decisions. When a product has features as dumb as those doors it makes sense to guess that everything else is a deathtrap too, but in practice it seems like most of the features are fine and then musk sticks his head in and demands a couple really awful ideas.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Azathoth posted:

Real talk: Musk actually talked in an aspirational way about technology, which is way rarer than it should be in our world. We all know it was a scam for attention and government contracts, but that doesn't change that what he said actually resonated with people who grew up on scifi showing amazing tech doing awesome things.

Right yes, and it resonated enough to create false optimism about the feasibility of Tesla autopilot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hellotoothpaste posted:

Right yes, and it resonated enough to create false optimism about the feasibility of Tesla autopilot

Oh I'm not saying be believed a thing he was saying and wasn't willing to literally kill people by calling his poo poo something it obviously isn't, just that people are way willing to go to bat for Ol' Musky than any other company because they desperately want to believe in a future that isn't 0.4% better mileage than last model year and a redesigned grill as being the big advancements every year.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Oh I'm not saying be believed a thing he was saying and wasn't willing to literally kill people by calling his poo poo something it obviously isn't, just that people are way willing to go to bat for Ol' Musky than any other company because they desperately want to believe in a future that isn't 0.4% better mileage than last model year and a redesigned grill as being the big advancements every year.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wish he didn’t steal the controls to that boat, cuz I’m on it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I forgot this wasn't AI so not everybody in here is aware that all new cars are mandated to loving suck from the factory.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phanatic posted:

I thought I was pretty clear on what I was arguing: changing ubiquitous and universally-understood user interfaces for marketing reasons is dumb and bad.

That might have been the original point, but when confronted with opposing arguments that putting the ignition switch on the dash is not unique to buttons and turning off the car should be second to last on the emergency procedure list right above "try to hit something soft", you started arguing about how "no, having full braking and steering power isn't that important actually".

If you can't find a case more recent than 12 years ago, I'm going to assume this is not a common problem. Also, from what I've seen, that car has a traditional shift lever and he could have been shifted into neutral. Not to mention that, as PhotoKirk's Car And Driver article shows, firmly pressing the brakes is enough to stop a car even if it has significantly more power than that cop's loaner Lexus.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sonic Dude posted:

that they know how to operate the door handle which is literally 4 inches from the shiny “open door” button.

What do you think that door handle will do if you are in a situation where your car is on fire and there's no power?

Sonic Dude posted:

Tesla can sink or swim on their own merits, but EVs as a whole are absolutely going to be A Thing™ from now on, and spreading garbage about them being death traps or murdering children in their sleep isn’t useful to anyone. I’m happy to talk about the dumb poo poo Tesla does, but what’s actually useful is to help educate people on why perception doesn’t always equal reality.

Yes, there are well made EVs that have standard safety features. Tesla isn't one of them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

I was reading a recommendation not to charge past 80% regularly anyway to preserve battery life?
It's generally a good idea for lithium rechargeables yes. Dendrites are a fucker, and you don't generate quite as much if you don't 0-100 your battery all the loving time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cat Hatter posted:

That might have been the original point, but when confronted with opposing arguments that putting the ignition switch on the dash is not unique to buttons and turning off the car should be second to last on the emergency procedure list right above "try to hit something soft",

I specifically said it’s not about the placement of the control, it’s about the behavior of the control. Changing from a key to a button is just as dumb as changing how door handles work or how the steering wheel is shaped.

quote:

you started arguing about how "no, having full braking and steering power isn't that important actually".

My comment on braking is that while, yes, you lose vacuum boost after a couple of pedal applications, that’s irrelevant in the case of runaway acceleration because if you make more than a couple of pedal applications you’re going to lose your brakes anyway and fail to stop the car

quote:

If you can't find a case more recent than 12 years ago, I'm going to assume this is not a common problem. Also, from what I've seen, that car has a traditional shift lever and he could have been shifted into neutral.

These things can all be true:
1. Runaway acceleration is not a common problem.
2. When it does happen it’s most frequently a person who confused the accelerator and the brake.
3. Changing the interface for stopping the car from a key to a button is dumb because it makes it harder for people to turn off their cars in an emergency.

quote:

Not to mention that, as PhotoKirk's Car And Driver article shows, firmly pressing the brakes is enough to stop a car even if it has significantly more power than that cop's loaner Lexus.

Did you notice upthread where I said that brakes exert way more torque than the engine and how if you use them properly they’ll stop a runaway car? The point is that people sometimes don’t use them properly, and then we gently caress around with the tools that they need to use next. It’s dumb. Just like changing mechanical door handles to electronic ones that require you to use some other new, hidden tool to operate in the event that something bad happens.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The OSHA thread considers nearly every risk to be an actual thing that will happen to them personally. Just don't mention Tesla. It doesnt work. You get red texts.

They don't do Bayes. They don't know who that is. They use flip phones. "You can get viruses on iOS!" they cry.

I drew a picture for the regular OSHA thread posters:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 5, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

The OSHA thread considers nearly every risk to be an actual thing that will happen to them personally. Just don't mention Tesla. It doesnt work. You get red texts.

They don't do Bayes. They don't know who that is. They use flip phones. "You can get viruses on iOS!" they cry.

I drew a picture for the regular OSHA thread posters:

whoa

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hey tesla owners, I have a question in good faith: how do you turn off all the stupid meme poo poo? i've seen "more cowbell mode" activated accidentally on the freeway and it would be great if there was a way to not have that happen

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Think of it like this: Some tesla drivers are probably workers right (not just idle rich)? This thread is all about worker safety. Boom.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
It's only a matter of time until people figure out how to be the 21st century equivalent of wreckers. Hang up some coloured lanterns and spraypaint some white lines on the road, and wait for the next Tesla to drive itself into a tree. Grab the driver's rolex, and leave before the lithium ion batteries cook off and incinerate the evidence.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Soylent Yellow posted:

It's only a matter of time until people figure out how to be the 21st century equivalent of wreckers. Hang up some coloured lanterns and spraypaint some white lines on the road, and wait for the next Tesla to drive itself into a tree. Grab the driver's rolex, and leave before the lithium ion batteries cook off and incinerate the evidence.

This sounds like a good scam until you concuss yourself running into the "tunnel" you just painted onto a brick wall.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What do you think that door handle will do if you are in a situation where your car is on fire and there's no power?

Yes, there are well made EVs that have standard safety features. Tesla isn't one of them.
Uh, it opens the door? It’s literally a handle/latch placed directly above the window controls for if the power is out. I tried it when I first got the car; it opened the door, which coincidentally is the behavior I expected.

My vehicle has more safety features and a better crash test rating than my wife’s mid-trim Nissan from 2020. Are there more available features on the planet? Yes, of course, but I don’t feel a particularly compelling need for more than what is there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Uh, it opens the door? It’s literally a handle/latch placed directly above the window controls for if the power is out. I tried it when I first got the car; it opened the door, which coincidentally is the behavior I expected.

My vehicle has more safety features and a better crash test rating than my wife’s mid-trim Nissan from 2020. Are there more available features on the planet? Yes, of course, but I don’t feel a particularly compelling need for more than what is there.

Now try the back seat

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Now try the back seat
Yep, pull the wire in the door pocket. Does the same thing. Definitely less convenient and requires a little more brainpower, which is why it doesn’t matter since I don’t have kids to occupy those seats.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is why I only drive pintos, escaping after a crash isn't a concern

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that is dangerous as hell. those sprayers will inject the paint under your skin

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Sonic Dude posted:

Yep, pull the wire in the door pocket. Does the same thing. Definitely less convenient and requires a little more brainpower, which is why it doesn’t matter since I don’t have kids to occupy those seats.

Can you show.me where that wire is on a Model 3?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

Doesn’t matter since I don’t have kids 🖕🖕, all you had to say.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CarForumPoster posted:

Flip phones? Psh, modern junk. I use a Nokia 3310. :smug:

But goddamn, man, going to bat for Tesla? The company that tried to ban yellow safety markings in its factory just because Musk doesn't like that colour? In the loving OSHA thread? Yeah no kidding you're gonna get a redtext, because that's loving stupid.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Concept: Simply pull the wire in the door pocket to open the door.

Reality (Model X): Using the detailed knowledge of the car you definitely possess as a random passenger in the back seat, you prise off the speaker grille on the door with your bare hands and then stick your hand inside to access a hidden, unmarked wire which may be rolled up out of sight. You pull it real hard to unlock the door and lift the heavy rear end door upward and escape.

Reality (Model 3): Using the detailed knowledge of the car you definitely possess as a random passenger in the back seat, you prise off the speaker grille and desperately search for a hidden wire you could've sworn you read about somewhere, as smoke fills the air and the floor begins to ignite. You fail to find it because there is no wire. You escape the vehicle in the form of a superheated aerosol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't give a poo poo if someone wants to buy a tesla for themselves. they're mediocre quality cars with some entertaining but ultimately harmless body fitment/quality of life issues and a couple of really stupid user interface decisions but i don't have to deal with them. I probably would recommend that anyone with children avoids purchasing the model 3 or Y, at least.

I do give a poo poo that tesla sells an incredibly broken and dangerous "self-driving system" that puts everyone else on the road at risk. It is unconscionable to market and sell the system or operate it on public roads. It should be remotely disabled in every car and Musk personally should be charged with criminal negligence for causing it to be sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I don't give a poo poo if someone wants to buy a tesla for themselves. they're mediocre quality cars with some entertaining but ultimately harmless body fitment/quality of life issues and a couple of really stupid user interface decisions but i don't have to deal with them. I probably would recommend that anyone with children avoids purchasing the model 3 or Y, at least.

I do give a poo poo that tesla sells an incredibly broken and dangerous "self-driving system" that puts everyone else on the road at risk. It is unconscionable to market and sell the system or operate it on public roads. It should be remotely disabled in every car and Musk personally should be charged with criminal negligence for causing it to be sold.

My heart almost stopped when I saw that it was simply an upgrade in the mobile app