Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you run your internal display at a lower resolution with Zoom on, and record that screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Wife’s M1 MBA hated Zoom initially and then she managed to get some kind of update, I think, that was M1 compatible?

My M1 MBP was fine with Zoom out the box, however, so you can maybe rest easy there.

This is good news at least though I think it's mostly Docker in combination with the screen recording and Zoom. Zoom by itself seems okay.

SlowBloke posted:

If your prof wasn't such an rear end in a top hat i would suggest to use NDI to offload the audio & video to another recorder but it will make a very evident popup that will startle the professor.

Yeah, with him demanding that everyone share their screen just if they have a simple question, he'd never go for this.

Thanks Ants posted:

Could you run your internal display at a lower resolution with Zoom on, and record that screen?

He shares his screen constantly and it's, unfortunately, hard enough for me to see the tiny text from that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're probably at the point where you're best off running an external monitor via an HDMI splitter and then running it through a capture card to some other machine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just had to install Zoom the other day for the first time, if you go to the download center there is an M1 download that’s separate from the main one. Maybe try that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ugh Zoom is one of those vendors that serve you the downloads based on detecting your platform, with no option to override if you're downloading for someone else.

Anyway, after changing the user agent, here's the M1 link https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg?archType=arm64

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 3, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I just had to install Zoom the other day for the first time, if you go to the download center there is an M1 download that’s separate from the main one. Maybe try that?

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh Zoom is one of those vendors that serve you the downloads based on detecting your platform, with no option to override if you're downloading for someone else.

Anyway, after changing the user agent, here's the M1 link https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg?archType=arm64

I'll give this a shot, thanks!

Friend of mine thinks it's Docker causing the problem. I've not used Docker before, but it apparently isn't that great for resources.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Are you using the M1 specific Docker Desktop?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Don't know what you're using Docker for and hopefully this won't be relevant but trying to use the host's network on Docker for Mac fails silently. If you don't spot the single solitary line buried in the Docker documentation explaining this then you might spend days smashing your head against a wall trying to make it work, ask me how I know

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Are all your docker images arm native? Running x86 docker containers on the m1 works but it waaay slower. Also if you have another computer you could run docker on that.

Also you can just give docker less cpu cores to keep the screen capture going.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know everyone moans about how intrusive Windows is for updates, but oops I just did a version check on my Mini to reveal I'm actually on 11.0.1 still, and not quite as up to date as I thought I was. Maybe force my hand a little more, Apple.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

in my experience, macOS will bug you with a notification every day when an update is available.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

in my experience, macOS will bug you with a notification every day when an update is available.
I think it all depends on if you have the "Automatically Keep My Mac Up To Date" checkbox set in the Software Updates system preference pane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was unticked, which I guess means it doesn’t give you any kind of notifications at all. Which is great if you’re sticking to a certain version on purpose, I think I might’ve been holding off on a particular update due to other people having some issues and then completely forgot.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

You're probably at the point where you're best off running an external monitor via an HDMI splitter and then running it through a capture card to some other machine.

Elgato has some boxes specifically for this purpose that act as a real-time passthrough while giving the feed back over USB-C to record or whatever. Pricey, though.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Is the recent outrage over Audacity’s new owner/T&Cs something to be concerned about or is it still the best free option for simple audio recording/editing?

My turntable is finally running again and I have a mighty backlog to get through. :toot:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Creature posted:

Is the recent outrage over Audacity’s new owner/T&Cs something to be concerned about or is it still the best free option for simple audio recording/editing?

My turntable is finally running again and I have a mighty backlog to get through. :toot:

It’s too early to tell, but what do you have to lose at this point? It’s still free.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I presume if it ever becomes an issue it will get forked

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Creature posted:

Use an old version? It's not like it's gone away.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My honest response to the whole thing was how surprised nerds were that a for profit company would eventually attempt to monetize something they own.

Muse isn't some shady fly by night company, MuseScore is a pretty decent music notation software that's free as well and I assume that's basically the model Audacity will eventually assume. They've been known for good interface design which Audacity is sorely in need of so it to me seemed like a good fit. Time will tell though

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

italian quid posted:

My honest response to the whole thing was how surprised nerds were that a for profit company would eventually attempt to monetize something they own.

Muse isn't some shady fly by night company, MuseScore is a pretty decent music notation software that's free as well and I assume that's basically the model Audacity will eventually assume. They've been known for good interface design which Audacity is sorely in need of so it to me seemed like a good fit. Time will tell though

This isn't nerds surprised at monetization, this is nerds outraged at Muse Group employees making public threats to get the Chinese expat developer of a fork of MuseScore deported to China, spyware features implied by new Audacity licensing agreements, Muse Group requiring community code contributions to be assigned wholly to themselves so they own everything, and a bunch of other things. There's a lot of reasons to doubt the good intentions of this particular corporate takeover of an open source app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In class right now (well, doing class on Zoom). We're not using Docker today and just listening to a guest speaker from Microsoft go on and on about random things not exactly pertaining to things we've done from class... Anyway, the MBA doesn't seem to like the recording + video + mic + Zoom + Chrome. I think I'll look into the MBP 14 or 16 if it drops. This includes sending video to a 4k display as well.

If not, can the M1 MBA be traded in for the M1 MBP from 2020 or is there no trade value for the M1s yet?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 4, 2021

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ThermoPhysical posted:

In class right now (well, doing class on Zoom). We're not using Docker today and just listening to a guest speaker from Microsoft go on and on about random things not exactly pertaining to things we've done from class... Anyway, the MBA doesn't seem to like the recording + video + mic + Zoom + Chrome. I think I'll look into the MBP 14 or 16 if it drops. This includes sending video to a 4k display as well.

If not, can the M1 MBA be traded in for the M1 MBP from 2020 or is there no trade value for the M1s yet?
Do you have to specifically use Chrome for something? It's been fairly poorly behaved on macOS for years and I think these days the recommendation is generally Firefox if you don't want to use Safari.

For what it's worth I've run similar workloads to you on a base model M1 Air but using Safari and Teams instead of Zoom/Chrome and haven't really noticed any performance differences to the Intel 2018 15" MBP I was using previously.

What software are you using for the screen recording? I use Camtasia because we have a licence for it through work but it's also Apple Silicon native so I assume that helps performance significantly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Do you have to specifically use Chrome for something? It's been fairly poorly behaved on macOS for years and I think these days the recommendation is generally Firefox if you don't want to use Safari.

For what it's worth I've run similar workloads to you on a base model M1 Air but using Safari and Teams instead of Zoom/Chrome and haven't really noticed any performance differences to the Intel 2018 15" MBP I was using previously.

What software are you using for the screen recording? I use Camtasia because we have a licence for it through work but it's also Apple Silicon native so I assume that helps performance significantly.

It's mostly due to my instructor only testing things in Chrome, it's honestly quite annoying. I wish I could just not use Zoom but that's just not what the college does anymore. To the point where they have a partnership with it and any video you record must be through Zoom and sending a Zoom link is required if it's recorded...despite using Canvas and you can upload stuff with that.

Also he prefers PDF over DOCX so screenshots look weird as I have to use Word (which, thankfully isn't something I have to pay for due to college) to change the document to PDF and then things look awful.

But my bitching aside, I'm using the default screen recording built into macOS, should I use OBI or something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this might be a silly question but I did some google work and I can't find out if its even possible.

If I am running a game full screen I don't get any iMessage notifications. I have a watch and my phone but if I am on the Mac they both defer to that and I'll miss the notification.

Is there no way to make the notifications pop up on top? My google work seems to point to no but that seems like a weird choice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

The M1 Air and MBP are the same silicon, I don't think swapping will help any unless you're positive you're being heat throttled on the MBA.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I have been tasked with getting a Profile Manager setup going to manage a bunch of classroom iMacs. They had this running before, but the Mac Mini that was the Profile Manager server kicked the bucket. They also supposedly had some sort of imaging setup, but that's pretty much lost too. So really I'm just rebuilding everything from scratch (I do have the settings from their old Profiles as I found the .mobileconfig files.) I have no experience with Mac server stuff, but I've built out and managed an SCCM instance for Windows deployment so I'm not a total newb to imaging and configuration management. My end goal would be to put together a setup that will let me remotely wipe the drive and reinstall MacOS, have it automatically grab a profile from the network based on the machine's serial number, automatically install applications (some unsigned and definetly not through the App Store) and also putting in the restrictions to what users are allowed to do on the machine ala Profile Manager. Preferably all of this for free or as cheap as possible because all of this is only necessary for about 10 more months but could help to save my time having to do a bunch of reinstalls while resetting shared machines periodically. I've been looking into Munki for app deployment, but haven't found much on OS deployment automation.

Mostly it's for my own edification and curiosity because I'm interested in this kind of thing, but if the answer is "doesn't exist" that's fine too 'cause even with just locking things down with Profile Manager I can't imagine the students can gently caress things up enough during the next couple months that I'll need to be refreshing machines that frequently.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

I would suggest hunting a standalone video recorder, like an epiphan webcaster x2(or a pearl nano if you are flush). Zoom is going to suck no matter how much iron you throw at it if you plan to do the call, recording it and do the labs on the same machine.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I have a 2013 and youtube is the most demanding thing it does, and wow it is demanding because of the dumb codec that they use

Install the h264ify extension in your browser and watch as your rock ‘n roll dreams of reasonable CPU overhead come true.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyway, the MBA doesn't seem to like the recording + video + mic + Zoom + Chrome.

What does this mean? That it’s chugging under the load? I feel like what amounts to video chat and web browsing should absolutely not be bringing an M1 to its knees. Am I massively underestimating how much of a resource hog both Zoom and Chrome are?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zoom only takes up 22-25% CPU of a shitastic dual core 3.1 GHz i7 2015 13-incher with chat open and 10-14 users in the chat, but that's with no recording..

Yeah, please explain 'doesn't like..' is it slowing down, are the videos in Zoom skipping frames, are there rainbow wheels... unless 'doesn't like' means the M1 itself is launching the Speech Control Panel and announcing in all of its voices simultaneously that it doesn't like working so hard..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Haven't checked usage in a while but it ate up a good chunk of CPU if you did virtual backgrounds.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry, today's been a busy day.

With Zoom, mic and cam on, screen recording, pushing to a 4K monitor, and having Chrome running, it heat up pretty well but I'm not sure how warm it actually got. With Docker running in that scenario, it got warmer.

I checked to see if Zoom and Docker were their M1 versions and they are...honestly maybe the problem IS Chrome and possibly the monitor too?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I get that people like using Chrome because pretty much every webpage is now optimized for it but I can't remember the last time I used it by choice and didn't have it hog a shitload of system resources.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
The M1 Air doesn’t have a fan, it’s only way to dissipate heat is to dump it into the case, it’s expected that the body will get warmer. How hot are we talking here? Burning your lap hot? I’ve played games, maxing it out for hours on an M1 Air, and yeah, it was definitely warmer than when doing nothing, but compared to the Intel ones, ice cold. Those things would get hot like a jet exhaust, sound like one too.

If it’s that big of a deal breaker, an M1 MBP, which has a fan, will basically never get warm.

I ditched Chrome a long time ago in favour of Safari back on my 2014 MBP and for the life of me, I cannot understand why people stick to it. I’ve never encountered an unusable website and the battery life gains from switching were insane.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 5, 2021

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

ArcticZombie posted:

If it’s that big of a deal breaker, an M1 MBP, which has a fan, will basically never get warm.

My M1 MBP will absolutely get hot running games. But yeah, not nearly as hot as my previous Dell XPS would get.

quote:

I ditched Chrome a long time ago in favour of Safari back on my 2014 MBP and for the life of me, I cannot understand why people stick to it. I’ve never encountered an unusable website and the battery life gains from switching were insane.

I don't use Chrome, but there are legit reasons for not wanting to use Safari. Like having other non-Apple devices I want to sync with, or making heavy use of extensions that just don't exist for Safari. I've used vertical tabs and tab groups in my browsers for years now and the complete lack of any decent tab management in Safari makes it annoying for me to browse with. Even the lack of extensions like Augmented Steam or RES add up to make Safari feel like a worse experience, not to mention the loss of ublock origin.

I use Safari to watch streaming media because it doesn't cache the media to disk and uses less battery, but I still use other browsers for everything else.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 5, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NuclearWinterUK posted:

I don't use Chrome, but there are legit reasons for not wanting to use Safari.

Can I offer everyone a nice Firefox in this trying time?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Quackles posted:

Can I offer everyone a nice Firefox in this trying time?

Yeah, Firefox is my usual browser. Though I've been tinkering with Vivaldi and Edge a bit lately because for some reason I find swiping back/forwards in Firefox to require longer swipes than the other browsers and it leads to me having to repeat the gesture sometimes. There's always something...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After accessing what's been going on, I think it would actually be more beneficial for me to just get a Mac Mini and not use the MBA for classes unless I'm not at home and actually on-campus (which I won't be for the foreseeable future thanks to COVID). Plus, the Mini is cheaper than the MacBook Pro at similar specs and fits better into my budget. Also, I'd get to keep the MBA which I really do like outside of the warming issues I've gotten.

ArcticZombie posted:

What does this mean? That it’s chugging under the load? I feel like what amounts to video chat and web browsing should absolutely not be bringing an M1 to its knees. Am I massively underestimating how much of a resource hog both Zoom and Chrome are?

It's not that it's chugging but it's getting much warmer (to me at least?) than usual, even when running Chrome with multiple tabs (15+...I really like tabs), Telegram (which uses a LOT of battery), and working on my Synology NAS.

I did try Safari but that only lasted for a few minutes as I had issues with HBO Max logging in on that...not sure why.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

After accessing what's been going on, I think it would actually be more beneficial for me to just get a Mac Mini and not use the MBA for classes unless I'm not at home and actually on-campus (which I won't be for the foreseeable future thanks to COVID). Plus, the Mini is cheaper than the MacBook Pro at similar specs and fits better into my budget. Also, I'd get to keep the MBA which I really do like outside of the warming issues I've gotten.

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

I was planning on adding this along with maybe the Education Apps to get Final Cut Pro and whatnot along with it for cheaper.

How credible are these rumors for the new M1X/M2 Mac Mini? I'm not sure if I should just wait or just grab it now and get a free pair of AirPods.